Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "W"

Close this window

Wadsworth, Harrison Morton Jr.

Harrison Morton Wadsworth, Jr., 85 of Atlanta, died August 3, 2010. Mr. Wadsworth was born in Duluth, Minnesota, grew up in Miami Beach, Florida, and lived most of his life in Atlanta. He is survived by his wife of 59 years, Irene Hawkins Wadsworth; son, Harrison Morton Wadsworth, III, and his wife Toni Wadsworth; daughter, Alice Eleanor Wadsworth; grandchildren, Renee Wadsworth, Harrison Morton Wadsworth, IV, William Wadsworth, Harrison Ritchie, Benjamin Lunsford, Matthew Lunsford, and Alison Lunsford.

Dr. Wadsworth received his B.I.E. Degree and M.S. Degrees from Georgia Tech and his PhD from Case Western Reserve University. He was a professor of statistics in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at Georgia Tech for 31 years and taught in China and Turkey. He operated his own quality auditing consulting business since retirement in 1991.

He served in the U.S. Army in World War II and the Korean War. He was a U.S. Delegate and subcommittee chair to the International Standards Organization and the American National Standards Institute. He authored or co-authored several textbooks and served as editor of the Journal of Quality Technology. He received numerous awards and medals, including the American Society for Quality's highest honor, its Distinguished Service Medal and he was a Fellow of the American Statistical Association.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, P.O. Box 4072 Pittsfield, MA 01202. Funeral services will be Friday, August 6, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. at St. Barnabas Anglican Church. Interment will follow at 4:15 p.m. at Arlington Memorial Park.

Wagner, Thomas J. "Beaver"

Thomas J. "Beaver" Wagner of West Seneca, New York and Daytona Beach, Florida, died March 17, 2018, at the age 87. Funeral services were held Tuesday, May 8, 2018 with interment in Forest Lawn Cemetery's Veterans Field of Valor.

Tom was a proud US Marine Corps Veteran who fought valiantly for his country during the Korean War. He was one of "The Chosin Few" at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. For his selfless service he was honored with the Silver Star and Purple Heart. Tom was a lifetime member of the International Union of Operating Engineers and worked out of Local 17 Buffalo, New York, for over 40 years.

He was the beloved husband of the late Dorothy J. (nee Reese) Wagner; beloved partner of Dea McKenna McAuliffe; dear father of Daniel (Michelle), Valeri (Wayne) Bolduc, April (John) Ring, William (Carol), Robert (Robin), Matthew (Nicole) and Nancy (Charles) Geiser; father-in-law of the late Alice Brylinski; loving grandfather of Bridgett, Philip, Autumn, Lea, Harmony, Cari, Brittany, Matthew Jr., Chas, Sara and Kaelyn and eight great grandchildren; brother of Eleanor Cipollone and the late Robert, Doris Crabb and June Klenke.  He is also survived by many nieces, nephews and cousins.

Tom's unique sense of humor, wondrous passion for life and love of music, will be sorely missed. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in Thomas' memory to the Disabled American Veterans Charity, 3725 Alexandria Pike, Cold Spring, Kentucky 41076,

Waldo, Gayland R.

Gayland R. Waldo, 91, of Granite City, Illinois, passed away at 8:01 a.m. on Monday, July 26, 2021 at Anderson Hospital in Maryville.  He was born October 28, 1929 in Dover, Arkansas, a son of the late Roy and Martha (Boley) Waldo.  He married Patricia L. "Pat" (McKinney) Waldo on July 10, 1954 in Hillsboro, Missouri and she passed away on May 13, 2017.  Gayland retired in 1992 from Granite City Steel after 39 years of dedicated service as an electrician.  The United States Army veteran proudly served his country during the Korean War and had served with the Mobile Army Surgical Hospital 8063rd Unit 301.  He was the recipient of the Korean Service Medal with three service stars, a Meritorious Unit Emblem and several other medals and recognitions.

He enjoyed sports throughout his life and was a longtime member of the Mitchell Athletic Club, played softball with the Old Rookies team, competed in the Mud Mountain Run in Edwardsville, and participated in the Two Mile Running with the Senior Olympics.  He was a jack of all trades, had built two of his own homes, and was an avid fisherman and hunter.  He will be remembered for the love and special times shared with his family and friends.

He is survived by three children and their spouses: Gail and Dan Minjus of Glen Ellyn, Mike and Diane Waldo of Moro and Kathy Pease of Granite City; seven grandchildren and their spouses, Sam and Angie Waldo, Adam Waldo, Jeff and Laura Minjus, Kevin Minkus, Derek and Sarah Minkus, Matt and Candi Johnson and Kelsey Pease; six great grandchildren, Ellie, Nico, Tilly, Ryn, Marty and Noah; a sister, Virginia Anderson of Flushing, Michigan; three sisters-in-law, Mary McKinney, Jane McKinney and Sandy McKinney, all of Hillsboro, Missouri' many nieces and nephews; and other extended family and friends.

In addition to his beloved wife and parents, he was preceded in death by two brothers and a sister-in-law, Bill and Butch Waldo and Leroy Waldo and three brothers-in-law and a sister-in-law, Arthur Anderson, Charles McKinney and Maurice and Sharon McKinney.

In celebration of his life, funeral services were held on Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.  Burial with full military honors followed at Sunset Hill Memorial Estates in Glen Carbon.  Memorials may be made to St. John's Community Care, 222 Goethe Avenue, Collinsville, Illinois 62234.

Wallace, Harry L. Jr.

Harry Wallace died August 31, 2005.  He was #37 of the original members establishing the Korean War Veterans Association.  He was the 2nd Vice President in the national association serving under Presidents Dick Adams and Nick Pappas.  He served as membership chairman and reunion co-chairman in the 1980s and early 1990s.  He was a charter member of Maryland Chapter #33, KWVA--one of the six to form the chapter in 1990.  Memorial service September 7 at 8 p.m. at Duda-Rick Funeral Home, 7922 Wise Ave., Dundalk, MD.

Wallace, Ted

Ted Wallace, age 80, of Duncanville, Alabama, was called home by God September 30, 2012, at Hospice of West Alabama. Services will be 2 p.m. Wednesday at Sunset Funeral Home Chapel with Chaplain Drew Dockery officiating. Burial will follow in Sunset Memorial Park with Sunset Funeral Home, a Dignity Memorial Provider, directing. Visitation will be one hour prior to services at the funeral home.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Amon and Minnie Upton Wallace; his brothers, Vernon and Cecil Wallace; and his stepson, David O. Faulkner.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Elizabeth Wallace; his daughters, Gwen Stewart (Frank), Star Bell (Tommy), and Elizabeth Harris (Phillip); his sons, Teddy Wallace (Vickie) and Robert Vaughn (Shannon); his grandchildren, Tonya Asarisi, Britton Tanner, Jamie Griffin, Jessica Bell, Robert Vaughn III, David Vaughn, Brandon Harris, April Wallace, Mary Glen Wallace, and Ethan Wallace; and three great-grandchildren.

Ted was beloved by his family and friends. He was well-known for his love of music and cars and for being a great salesman. His favorite pastimes were traveling with his wife and spending time with his loved ones. He was a U.S. Army veteran (Field Artillery) of the Korean War.

Pallbearers will be Phillip Harris, Tommy Bell, Frank Stewart, Robert L. Thomas, John Paul Smith, and Fred Asarisi.  The family would like to thank the employees and staff of Hospice of West Alabama.

Wallace, William David "Bill"

William "Bill" David Wallace, 90, of Manchester, Iowa, passed away because of complications of COVID-19 on Friday, October 9, 2020, at the Good Neighbor Home in Manchester. A private family graveside service will be held Saturday, October 17, at Oakland Cemetery in Manchester with military honors provided by the United States Air Force and Masonic honors. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date. Bohnenkamp-Murdoch Funeral Home & Cremation Service, Manchester, is assisting the family.

Bill was born April 23, 1930, in Detroit, Michigan, the son of Walter "Wally" and Bertha "Birdie" (Gray) Wallace. He graduated from Manchester High School and attended the University of Iowa. He was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity. Bill served in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. In 1957, he married the love of his life, Constance "Connie" Joan Burke. Together they had two children, Dana and David. Unfortunately, their marriage ended in 1968. In 1986, he married Karen Klaus.

Bill, along with his brother and father, owned and operated Wallace's Inc., a General Motors and John Deere dealership, for more than 40 years. He also farmed and raised Black Angus cattle with his son, David. Bill was a proud member of the Masonic Lodge No. 165 of Manchester, Scottish Rite, El Kahir Shrine, Manchester Lions Club and the Jaycees. His favorite Shrine activity was driving the area children and their families up and back to their appointments at the Shriners Hospital in Minneapolis, spending many hours waiting and getting to know the families. He also loved driving and riding the Shriners firetruck in many parades around northeast Iowa. He served his community quietly, wanting no accolades, and did many good deeds anonymously.

Bill loved flying and was one of the earliest private licensed pilots in the Manchester area along with his wife, Connie, who was the first woman in Manchester to be a licensed pilot. He loved to hunt and especially loved his fishing trips to Canada with all his friends. Bill was an adamant Iowa fan, who never missed a chance to watch his beloved Hawkeyes.

Bill is survived and lovingly remembered by daughter, Dana Wallace; son, David (Lori) Wallace of Waverly, Iowa; grandchildren, Sarah (Chidi) Ewelike, Burke, Jack, Daniel and Allison Wallace; great-grandsons, Silas and Sawyer Ewelike; and his brother, Larry (Judi) Wallace of Port St Lucie, Florida. Bill was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Connie; and his second wife, Karen. Memorials in Bill's memory may be directed to the Shriners Transportation Fund or Masonic Lodge No. 165 of Manchester. - Published in The Gazette on October 13, 2020.

Wallach, Leonard

Leonard Wallach, BG (Ret) passed away May 30, 2010. He was a highly decorated Army officer who also served as a director of major running events, including the San Francisco Bay to Breakers race and the marathon races in the 1984 Olympics.

Mr. Wallach served in three wars and received three Purple Hearts, three Bronze Star medals for valor and 52 other medals for heroism, outstanding service and for military campaigns. He enlisted in World War II as a private and was promoted to brigadier general when he retired from the Army Reserve more than 40 years later.

Mr. Wallach was a soldier and an athlete - and later, a director of athletic events, particularly running. He was a varsity swimmer and gymnast at what was then called San Jose State College and captain of the Army's marathon team. He competed in swimming in the 1948 Olympics and was swimming coach for the Army in the 1964 Olympic Games. He competed in triathlons and ran in over two marathon races. In 1976, when he was voted San Francisco's Running Man of the Year, he ran over 4,500 miles.

Mr. Wallach was a third-generation soldier, born on a military post in Honolulu. He graduated from San Jose State and did graduate work at the University of Oregon. He joined the Army in World War II as an enlisted man and attended officer candidate school. He served in the Philippines during that war and then served in the Korean and Vietnam wars, where he had duty in special operations. He was also a member of airborne units and had 122 parachute jumps. His Army career spanned over 43 years on active and reserve duty.

"He left a legacy of honesty and integrity," said his widow, Diana Wallach. He is also survived by two daughters, Lea Sassone of Santa Rosa and Bonnie Stowell of Washington, D.C.; two sons, Tim Wallach of Amsterdam, and Jeff Wallach of San Francisco. There are two stepsons, Scott Chronert of Ross, and Stephen Chronert of Greenwich, Connecticut; and seven grandchildren.

Walton, Eldon "Walt" Lloyd

Eldon Lloyd Walton, age 90, better known as Walt, entered into rest with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on May 8th after a brief and courageous battle with COVID-19 with his wife of 48 years at his side.

He was born in Newberg, Oregon on December 30, 1929 and eventually moved as young boy outside of Parkdale, OR where his parents Maurice and Lucille tended a Pear Orchard on the slopes of Mt. Hood. Walt graduated from Hood River High School and went on to attend community college until the Korean War broke out. He served in the US Army from 1951-1954 were he joined the Army band as a French horn player. He was shipped over to Korea at the height of the war and served in a support position as a typist.

After his service in the Army he returned to Oregon, eventually marrying and had his first son, Kelly. He held a number of jobs in his early years until he found his gift in sales. One of the early jobs he spoke most fondly of was his time with the "railroads" were he was assigned to a remote depot up in the Cascade Mountains near the Willamette Pass outside Oakridge, Oregon. This would often become a destination on "family drives" where we would end up off a remote logging road in the Willamette Pass hiking along the railroad tracks.

Many years later, once again a single man, he looked up his former girlfriend Lois who he had at the age of 15 and was the daughter of the pastor of the church he attended in Parkdale, Oregon. By this time she had 6 boys of her own and had been raising them as a single mom for the past six years. They soon began dating, were married, and he moved his new family to Eugene, Oregon. Walt worked in sales for the trucking industry and eventually moved back to Spokane, WA where he retired from his position as a branch manager at Airflow Systems. Not one to sit still he decided to become an independent sales representative for many trucking industry products and finally settled more closer to home as a parking garage attendant for the historic Davenport Hotel and Spokane Lincoln Building. He worked until he was 80 years old until the care of his wife at home necessitated his continual presence. Anyone who knew Walt would say he was a kind, generous and thoughtful man who was quick to tell you a joke or offer you a piece of gum or candy. His wife Lois wrote in a letter at Christmas one year in part, "you are a special guy and I wish every woman could have a wonderful person like you as a husband and friend. Thank you for being the caring dad you have been to my sons. You have been steady and have always been there for them as well as me, helping and quietly steadying all of us. Such a blessing you are and always have been".

Walt was preceded in death by his parents Maurice and Lucille, Sister Myrtl Bell and Brother John and daughter-in-law Kathy. He is survived by His wife Lois; sons Kelly (Terri) Walton, Steve (Jo Ann) Roll, Robert Roll, James Pederson, Mike Pederson (JD), Larry (Cathy) Pederson and Jerry (Laura) Pederson along with numerous grandchildren and great -grandchildren.

The family sends their heartfelt thanks to the compassionate and caring frontline workers at the Spokane Veterans Home and the Mann-Grandstaff VA Medical Center. A special thank you to Dr. Thai for her loving, compassionate and comforting guidance for both Walt and our mother during this difficult time of family being unable to personally say our goodbyes. Walt will be laid to rest at a small gathering at the Spokane Memorial Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers we request Memorial donations to be sent to: Wellfare and Betterment Fund, Spokane Veterans Home, E 222 5th Ave., Spokane, Washington.

Warila, James B.

Former Worland City Councilman, three-term Washakie County Sheriff, and Worland Police Chief James B. Warila died on Thursday, April 11, 1996 at Washakie Memorial Hospital.

He was born on July 19, 1935 in Red Lodge, Montana, a son of Benhardt F. and Margaret Ellen (Brown) Warila. He was raised and educated in Red Lodge, and graduated from Carbon County High School. He then entered the U.S. Army where he served as a military policeman. He was stationed in South Korea in 1952, was captured on December 30, 1952, and was held as a POW until July 10, 1953. He was awarded the Purple Heart.

He married Juneko "June" Miyata in Tokyo on September 6, 1955. Mr. Warila was stationed in West Germany, China, and Japan before his discharge from the Army in 1957. He returned to Red Lodge briefly, then moved to Worland, where he was employed by the Wyoming Industrial Institute, and policeman. In 1961 he became the police chief. He was elected Washakie County Sheriff in 1967 and served three terms. He then served as a Worland City Councilman for eight years. He operated the Warila Trailer Court for many years.

His hobbies included hunting, fishing, boating, shooting skeet, and woodworking. He was a member of the Wyoming Peace Officers Association, National Rifleman's Association, the Worland Hunters Range, Elks, Eagles, American Legion, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He served for many years with the Washakie County Search and Rescue Squad, and had been the Washakie County Civil Defense Manager for many years. He had a heart transplant in Utah in 1991.

Warner, Volney Frank

Gen. Volney Frank Warner of McLean, Virginia, died on November 13, 2019.  The husband of Belva Janice Warner and father of Victoria Warner, Volney James Warner, Jerry B. Warner, and Valerie Walker, General Warner's memoir is located on the Korean War Educator.  Memorial services will be held at Ft. Myer Memorial Chapel, Ft. Myer, Virginia, on December 02.  Volney's granddaughter, 1Lt. Laura Walker, gave her life for her country while in the military service.  Memorial gifts for General Walker are suggested to Laura's memorial fund at West Point. 

Warren, Bennie L.

Bennie L. Warren, 85, of Belleville, Illinois, passed away on January 21, 2022 at Belleville Memorial.

He was born to Elmer and Maxie (nee Powell) Warren on April 23, 1936. Ben enjoyed fishing and watching Westerns. He married the love of his life, Alice, on July 15, 1954 in Belleville. Ben worked as a police officer and as manager of the Belleville swimming pool and Nichols Community Center. Prior to his retirement from the city, he served in the U.S. Air Force and was a Korean and Vietnam War veteran.

He is preceded in death by his parents; his daughter Jeannie of Midwest City, Oklahoma; and his siblings Thomas and Evelyn of Savannah, Georgia. He is survived by his loving wife of 67 years, Alice S. (nee Agne) Warren of Belleville; his son, Steven K. (Cathi) Warren of Belleville; his sisters, Delores, Betty Joe and Jackie; and his dog, Shadow.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Belleville Area Humane Society. Funeral services were held at 12 p.m. on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at Valhalla Gaerdner Holten Funeral Home in Belleville, with entombment to follow at Valhalla Gardens of Memory.

Wasilewski, Walter

Born February 18, 1931, Walter Wasilewski died August 18, 1986.

Waterson, Bobby J.

Bobby J. Waterson, 88, of Belleville, Illinois, passed away on Tuesday, September 5, 2023. He was born in middle Tennessee on February 1, 1935. He is preceded in death by his parents, R.E. and Lena (Campbell) Waterson, daughters; Melissa Waterson, Stacy Waterson, and one brother, Dale Waterson.

Bobby is survived by his wife of 66 years Patricia (Kingston) Waterson, children; Scott Waterson of Belleville, Illinois, Rob (Nikki) Waterson of Terrell, Texas, Todd (Cindy) Waterson of Belleville, Illinois, and Torrey Waterson of St. Petersburg, Florida. He is further survived by grandchildren; Justin (Andi) Waterson of Mabank, Texas, Amber (Jay) Climaco of Belleville, Illinois, Robbie (Trisha) Waterson of Payne Springs, Texas, Caycee Waterson of Belleville, Illinois, Anna Waterson of Point, Texas, and Austen Waterson of Belleville, Illinois, great-grandchildren; Penelope Climaco, Palmer Climaco, Gage Waterson, Daisy Culver, Hailey Waterson, and Paisley Waterson. He is also survived by sister, Catherine Gremore of Van Buren, Missouri.

Bobby served his country valiantly in the United States Army during the Korean War. Upon his discharge he became a brick contractor, builder, and developer and founded Waterson Construction. He enjoyed fishing, volunteering at his church, boating, gardening, and belonged to Gear Jammers, Belleville.

Visitation will be from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Sunday, September 10, 2023, at Valhalla Gaerdner Holten Funeral Home, Belleville, Illinois. Funeral will be at 11:00 am on Monday, September 11, 2023, at Valhalla Gaerdner Holten Funeral Home, Belleville, Illinois. There will be an additional visitation one hour prior to funeral. Interment will follow at Valhalla Gardens of Memory Cemetery, Belleville, Illinois.

Memorials may be made in Bobby’s name to Tunnels to Towers Foundation or to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.

Watkins, George C.

Capt. George C. Watkins, a record-setting Navy test pilot in the 1950s who later served as a White House social aide to three presidents, died of a heart attack September 18, 2005 at a hospital in Lompoc, where he lived. He was 84.

Captain Watkins, who had no intention of becoming an aviator when he entered the Navy during World War II, had a dashing career as a test pilot, setting records for speed, altitude and number of landings on aircraft carriers. Late in his military career, he was an adviser for the 1970 World War II movie "Tora! Tora! Tora! "

After graduating from the Naval Academy in 1943, he planned to be a shipboard naval officer, and he served in the Pacific during World War II as a battery turret officer on the battleship Pennsylvania. But when the Navy, finding itself short of pilots, issued a call for aviators, Captain Watkins quickly volunteered. He received his pilot's wings just after the end of the war.

In 1950, he entered the Navy's test pilot school in Patuxent River, Maryland, where two classmates were future astronauts John Glenn and Alan Shepard. Captain Watkins served in the Korean War as a fighter pilot before resuming his career as one of the leading test pilots of the fearless and swashbuckling generation chronicled by Tom Wolfe in the book "The Right Stuff." His fellow aviators called him "Gorgeous George."

Captain Watkins was the first Navy pilot to exceed 60,000 and 70,000 feet in altitude. On a single day in 1956, he set a speed record of 1,220 mph and an unofficial altitude record of 73,500 feet. In April 1958, he piloted his Grumman F11F-1F Super Tiger to two altitude records in three days, topping out at 76,939 feet and returning the record to American hands after an absence of 14 years.

When Glenn and Shepard were chosen for the Mercury astronaut program in 1959, Capt. Watkins was left behind because he was an inch taller than the 5-foot-11-inch height limit. In 1961, according to Captain Watkins' widow, he was asked to command the Navy's precision flight team, the Blue Angels, but his orders were canceled when the Cuban Missile Crisis heated up.

For much of the 1960s, Captain Watkins was stationed at the Pentagon in the Strike Warfare Division. Among other duties, he was a social aide at the White House under Presidents Kennedy and Johnson. He helped at White House functions, organized reception lines and assisted in other preparations, including plans for Kennedy's funeral in 1963.

In 1965, when Captain Watkins became commanding officer of a supply ship off the coast of Vietnam, he promptly ordered the helicopter supply drops to be made at night, which soon became common Navy practice. He later worked at the Navy's information office at the Pentagon and resumed his duties in the White House under Johnson and President Nixon.

One of Captain Watkins' more unusual military assignments came in 1969, when he provided technical support for the making of "Tora! Tora! Tora!," which re-enacted the 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He led efforts to find Navy ships and vintage propeller planes for the movie and recruited Navy pilots to fly the old aircraft. He appeared in the film as a Japanese pilot landing a fighter (actually an American plane refitted in Japanese colors) on an aircraft carrier.

During his 30-year career, Captain Watkins had an unrivaled record of aviation achievement. In 1962, he became the first Navy pilot to make 1,000landings on aircraft carriers, and eight years later, he was the first to log 10,000 hours behind the controls of Navy aircraft.

By the time in retired in 1973, he had flown more than 200 aircraft models, made 1,418 fixed-wing landings on 37 aircraft carriers and accumulated more than 16,000 hours of flight time. He had to eject only once, when his fighter plane skidded off the edge of a carrier ' s deck. His decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Meritorious Service Medal.

George Clinton Watkins was born March 10, 1921, in Alhambra, and grew up in nearby Pasadena. He attended a military prep school in San Diego and the Citadel in South Carolina before entering the Naval Academy. (He was a member of the class of 1944, but graduated a year earlier in an accelerated wartime program.)

After his Navy career, he operated a landscaping company in Virginia Beach, Va., and became drawn to the sport of gliding. In 1982, he returned to Patuxent River to pursue his interest. He lived in Arizona from 1985 to 1987 before moving to Santa Monica, where he ran a school for glider pilots. In 1998, he moved to Lompoc in Central California, where he taught glider aerobatics and flew his custom Fox glider in competitions, once taking second in a national contest. A heart condition grounded Capt. Watkins in 2003, after he had spent more than 21,000 hours in the air on more than 26,000 flights.

Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Monica Watkins of Lompoc; and two brothers, John Watkins of Pasadena, and retired Navy Adm. James Watkins of Annapolis, who was chief of naval operations from 1982 to 1986 and secretary of energy under President George H.W. Bush.

Published by San Diego Union-Tribune on October 21, 2005.

Watson, Troy Sam Jr.

Troy Sam Watson Jr. passed away in his sleep on Friday, January 21, 2011.  He was born August 4, 1933 in Kaufman, Texas, and on his death at the age of 77, he lived in Dallas, Texas. 

Troy was the creator and point man in establishing the E-2-7 1st Marine Division website in 2003.  This outstanding Marine was a machine gunner during the Korean War and a recipient of the Purple Heart medal.  Always upbeat, Troy had been suffering from cancer for the past several years, yet had the initiative to put together annual reunions for his Marines.

He was preceded in death by his beloved wife Jennie.  Troy Watson was a proud Marine, brother, husband, father and friend who will be sadly missed--gone but not forgotten.

The family will gather at the home of son Tim Watson following a memorial service on February 4, 2011.  In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to E-2-7 Marines in order to maintain Troy's legacy, the E-2-7 website.  Please send donations to: E-2-7 Marines, 5705-Harvest Road #1029, Dallas, TX 75230.

Watterson, Walter Lloyd Jr.

Walter Lloyd Watterson Jr., age 59, died on Sunday, July 27, 2008, at Phoenix Baptist Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona.

Born October 27, 1948, in Pontiac, Illinois, he was the son of the late Walter Lloyd and Olive May Williams Watterson. Walter grew up in Phoenix, graduating from Washington High School in 1966, and then completing his education at Glendale College in Glendale, Arizona.

A veteran of the United States Army, he served in Vietnam and Korea during the late 60’s and early 70’s.  He worked as a chef most of his life and was employed by Café Eden at the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church in Phoenix at the time of his death.

Walter is survived by his brother, Jack Watterson and his wife Linda of Hughesville, Missouri; two aunts, Kathleen Wasson and Motie Callans of Illinois; three nephews, Brad Watterson and his wife Crystal of Hughesville, Brett Watterson of Lees Summit, Ryan Watterson and his wife Angela of Hughesville; one niece, Sara Watterson of Hughesville; three great nephews and two great nieces, Britten Mergen, Rylee, Carter, Dillon & Hanna Watterson all of Hughesville.

Funeral arrangements were handled by the Advantage Colonial Chapel in Phoenix, Arizona, with burial in the Veterans National Memorial Cemetery. The American Legion will conduct military rites and a graveside service later this fall.  In lieu of flowers the family suggests donations in Walter’s memory to the Center for Human Services - Children’s Therapy Center in Sedalia, Missouri.

Weatherman, Carl

North Augusta, South Carolina .... Mr. Carl Weatherman, 89, beloved husband of the late Betty June Weatherman, entered into eternal rest on Monday, September 6, 2021.

The family welcomes friends for a visitation on Friday September 10, 2021 at Rowland-Ford Funeral Home from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM. A funeral service for Mr. Weatherman will follow on Saturday, September 11, 2021 in the Rowland-Ford Funeral Home Chapel at 11:00 AM with Rev. Limuer Myers officiating. Interment with Veteran's Honors will follow in Pineview Memorial Gardens.

Mr. Weatherman, born in Ivanhoe, Virginia, was a North Augusta resident since 1971. He was a decorated Army veteran. During his service in the United States Army he served in the Korean War where he was held as a POW for 33 months. He then served in the Vietnam War. Summarily, he was awarded several medals of honor: National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze Stars, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Bronze Star Medal, and was a celebrated Sharpshooter in his career as an Army serviceman. Along his Army career, he maintained his dedication to veteran affairs by being a devout member of the Ex-POW Association. Mr. Weatherman was of the Methodist faith. After his military service, he was known in the North Augusta community as the owner of the Sweetwater BP. He was noted to care for stray animals in his lifetime.

Mr. Weatherman is survived by his sons, Dennis (LeeAnn) Weatherman, Dwayne (Lynn) Weatherman, Kenneth (Molly) Grubb; his two daughters, Cathy (Art) Moseley, Annette (Terry) Thompson, his sister, Fay (Sam) Bowers as well as nine grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Pallbearers will be Ben Moseley, Cliff Weatherman, Blaine Grubb, Chris Hyder, Trent Turner, and Grant Kirkendohl.  The family requests memorial donations be made to the Aiken SPCA, 199 Willow Run Rd. Aiken, SC 29801.

Weekly, Dean Vincent

Dean "Poppa Dean" Weekly was born April 27, 1925 in Myrtle Point.  He died November 16, 2001 in Eugene, Oregon.  Mr. Weekly was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War.  He was a sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, where he served as a tank commander. .His service to our country included the invasions of Saipan and Iwo Jima.  He served with the 1st Marine Division, 1st Amphibian Tractor Battalion, Company C in Korea.

Mr. Weekly graduated from Myrtle Point High School and attended Oregon Technical Institute, where he was a star linebacker on the football team.  He was employed as a millwright for Norply and Westbrook Wood Products until his retirement in 1990.  Dean was a member of the Coquille Valley Elks Lodge and the Coquille Eagles Lodge.  As an avid sports fan, he enjoyed hunting, fishing and bowling, but was most passionate about golf.  He will be remembered as a faithful and loving father, a proud grandfather and a dedicated and loyal friend.  He will be truly missed by all who knew him.

He is survived by his sister, Ann Perry and her husband, William of Marysville, Washington; sons and daughters-in-law, Chris and Julie of Oregon City, Ray and Delores of Kaiser, Kent and Lorena of Murietta, California; daughters and sons-in-law, Robin Moon and Steve of Myrtle Point, and Mary Sue Oldham and John of Pleasant Hill; eight grandchildren; and nieces, nephews and numerous cousins.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Coos County Logging Museum, P.O. Box 325, Myrtle Point, Oregon 97458; or the Coquille Valley Elks Lodge Christmas Basket Fund, 54942 Maple Heights Road, Coquille, Oregon 97423.

Wehinger, Sgt. Major

Sgt.Maj. Edwin Wehinger died at his home in Rocky Point, North Carolina, on November 15, 2006.  He is survived by his son, Edwin Jr., daughters Janeen Crawford, Colleen Wehinger, and Edana Davis.  Burial in Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery.

Wehmeier, Clyde H.

Clyde Wehmeier was born in East St. Louis, Illinois, on April 1, 1930 and died at Memorial Hospital August 17, 2021.  Throughout his 91 years when Clyde gave April 1st as his birthday, he loved hearing, "Oh, you are an April Fool's Day baby" and proceeded to make the person smile and laugh.  Clyde's education started at LePere, a one-room school on Highway 163, followed by Belleville Township High School, Summers Business College in East St. Louis and Ranken Technical College in St. Louis, Missouri.  Clyde served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.  He retired in 1996 from Cerro Copper in Sauget, Illinois, where he was known as "Computer Head".

Clyde first met his wife Loy on a double date.  He was the one-time blind date for Loy's friend.  Three years later Clyde met Loy again by a chance meeting.  After a one-year courtship they were married in February 1957 at Winstanley Baptist Church in East St. Louis by Rev. Purdue.  To their marriage was born a daughter Tierney, and sons Ron and Eric.

Clyde was a homebody.  He enjoyed having a beautiful vegetable garden, keeping an immaculate yard and helping Loy with her many flowers.  It was not all work and no play as he took his family on many vacation trips before they left the nest.  After Clyde and Loy both retired, they set out on many adventures visiting 48 states.  They never made it to Minnesota or Alaska.  They traveled to the West and East coasts of Canada and places in the middle, ventured to the Yucatan Peninsula and journeyed across the pond.  Their favorite place was their own back porch watching hummingbirds and looking at the moon at night.  Clyde was blessed with a wonderful sense of humor.  He was kind and caring.  I was proud to call him my husband and our children loved to call him Dad.

Clyde was preceded in death by his beloved son Ron and his beloved daughter Tierney.  Clyde is survived by Loy, his wife of 64 years; his son and daughter-in-law Eric and Lisa Wehmeier of Connecticut; brother and sister-in-law John and JoAnn Wehmeier of Millstadt; brother-in-law Chuck Tidwell of South Carolina/Florida; special friend Scott Sarkesian of St. Louis; and special nieces Stephanie West of Texas and Teresa Tidwell of Florida.

Clyde's funeral was held at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 26, 2021 with Pastor Doug Hargrave officiating.  A graveside service was held on Friday, August 27, 2021 at Valhalla Gardens of Memory.  Clyde's wishes were to be cremated and his ashes to be buried next to his son Ron and daughter Tierney.  For those who wish, a memorial will be made in Clyde's memory to the Ronald McDonald House. - Published by Belleville News-Democrat on August 24, 2021

Welling, Neil A. Sr.

Neil A. Welling, Sr., beloved father and grandfather, passed away suddenly Tuesday, February 28, 2012, at the age of 79 years. The son of the late Clarence and Glennie (Post-White) Welling, Neil was born May 17, 1932 in Wheeler, Michigan.

He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War and was a member of V.F.W. Post #1859. He married Gail Ann LaFramboise on July 10, 1954. She predeceased him October 25, 2010.

Neil was employed at General Motors Corporation for 30 years until his retirement in 1992. He was a member of St. Matthew Catholic Church and the Eagles Club. Neil enjoyed fishing, camping and gardening and loved being with his family.

Surviving are two sons, two daughters and their spouses, Neil Welling Jr., Zilwaukee; Kevin and Kristi Welling, Holland; Kari Breece Zilwaukee; Kris Welling and Danelle Pashak and Garrick, Bay City; eight grandchildren, Brandon (Holly) Schaffner, Jordan and Sommer Welling; Alyssa; Charles, Andrew Matthew and Autumn Breece; a great-grandson, Braeydon Schaffner; one brother and three sisters, Phillip and Jane Welling, Midland; Lillian Keinith, Yuma, Arizona; Mary Fisher, Hudson, Florida; Catherine Ferguson, Holiday, Florida; and many nieces and nephews. Neil was preceded in death by three sisters and two brothers, Harriet, Frank, Beatrice, William and Louise.

Funeral Liturgy will take place 11:00 a.m. Saturday, March 3, 2012 at St. Matthew Catholic Church in Zilwaukee. Rev. Fr. Ronald Dombrowski will officiate. Military honors, presented by V.F.W. Post #1859, will follow the funeral liturgy. Friends may call at The Snow Funeral Home, 3775 N. Center Rd., (between Shattuck and McCarty), where the family will be present on Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and at St. Matthew Catholic Church on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until time of Mass. There will be a Vigil Service 7:00 p.m. Friday at the funeral home. Those planning an expression of sympathy may wish to consider memorials to the Aleda E. Lutz V.A. Medical Center.

Wellons, Kennard

Kennard W. Wellons was born in Laurel, Mississippi on December 15, 1933, to John Clifton Wellons, Sr. and Patsy Watson Wellons. He is predeceased by his brother John Clifton Wellons, Jr. and sister, Joy Wellons Wiltshire. The family relocated to Jackson, Mississippi, where he was an academic and sports star in football and baseball at Central High School. After graduation in 1952, Kennard enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and served in the Korean War. He then returned to Jackson in 1954, graduating from Millsaps College in 1958. He then earned an MSW from Tulane University in 1961. After graduation, he married a fellow Tulane MSW student, Pat Blankenship and they moved to California where Kennard worked for Sonoma State Hospital. In 1967, they moved to Arizona where Kennard was a professor of Social Work at Arizona State University. Their only child, Bradley Wellons was born there on 11/2/68. Kennard returned to California in 1969 to do a Ph.D. in Social Work at University of California - Berkeley and graduated 1973, specializing in Gerontology. The family then moved to Lexington Kentucky, where Kennard took a position of professor at the University of Kentucky College of Social Work. He was instrumental in helping Dr. William Markesbury and Dr. David Wekstein to establish the Sanders-Brown Center on Aging. Dr. Wellons also taught courses in human development, human behavior and personality theory in addition to research methods and Aging. He was passionate about teaching advising and mentoring thousands of students over the years. He was promoted to full professor in 1988 and retired to emeritus in 2000 after 27 years at the University. Dr. Wellons was also a co-founder and later President of the Kentucky Association of Gerontology and served on the board of the Bluegrass Area Agency on Aging and numerous State Boards for the Kentucky Department of Aging & Independent Living. The Wellons family lived at 424 West Third Street a historic 1700's Federalist style house that they renovated. This house became one of the homes of their beloved "Third Street gang" and the historic Northside neighborhood. Kennard was known in the neighborhood as a wonderful, gregarious, outgoing person with a wry sense of self deprecating humor. He had what friends and family have called "Kennardisms" funny sayings that made everyone laugh. Kennard loved sports, particularly University of Kentucky Basketball and Football. He loved his dogs, hunting, fishing, and photography. Kennard passed away on April 13, 2020 after a long battle with Alzheimer's and short but fatal battle with COVID-19. He is survived by his son, Bradley, daughter-in-law Rachel, and his grandson Jackson and multiple nieces and nephews. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Pat B. & Dr. Kennard W. Wellons Scholarship Fund at the University of Kentucky College of Social Work. This fund will benefit social work students who are the first in their family to go to college.

West, Robert "Bob" L.

Robert "Bob" L. West, 80, cowboy, soldier, father, contractor, philanthropist, was finally at peace March 5, 2011 with family at his side after a valiantly-fought battle with multiple health issues for many years. He kept a sense of humor even in his final hours, often joking with his nurses and, true to character, directing the goings on around him.

Bob was born in Ashue, Washington and raised in a family of 12 children. His pattern of hard work and determination began early. His large family lived for some time in nothing but an army tent. The family moved to Seattle in 1942. Bob left home at the age of 12 to work on a ranch in Eastern Washington. He returned to Seattle on occasion to be with his family.

He joined the Army at age 17 and was in the 82nd Airborne Division. He volunteered for duty in Korea. During combat operations in Korea he was severely wounded. He received a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star with a V for valor. He was medically retired because of his war wounds.

Rejecting all the obstacles in his path, he lived some time on Adak with his wife Betty and their children, David, Rhonda, and Bradley, constructing some of the major buildings there. He built his life from the ground up and went on to start Construction and Rigging Inc. which grew to become one of the most successful and well-known construction firms in Alaska. The company's focus was building bridges and docks. One of his last projects was the curved pedestrian overpass at Tudor near Elmore Street which won an award.  Bob was known for his sharp business savvy, no excuses for himself attitude, steadfast work ethic, creative use of language, and willingness to give second chances and reward hard work.

He retired in Sequim, Washington after building his dream home, his pride and joy for a life of hard work and discipline. He was truly an inspiration for all who came into contact with him and left a legacy for his family to follow.

He is survived by his son and best friend, Brad West and wife Renee of Anchorage, AK; daughter Rhonda Gallagher, who cared for him regularly during his final years and was with him as he took his last breath, her husband Stan, of Anchorage, AK; brothers Jerry West, wife Anne, Paul West, wife Judy, sister Florence; grandchildren Matthew, Roxanne, Lily, Aubrey and their spouses; as well as great grandchildren River, Kaden, Luna and Adeline; stepdaughters Patti and Donna and families; also many nieces and nephews.

Funeral service were held on Saturday, April 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM in the Evergreen Washelli Chapel. A Celebration of Life was held in Anchorage, April 10, 2011 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the Petroleum Club.

White, Charles "Charlie" Bryson Jr.

Charles Bryson “Charlie” White, Jr. passed away on Thursday, November 4, 2021 at his home in Katy, Texas and is finally at peace and without pain. He was born on March 19, 1932 in Wappapello, Missouri to Charles Bryson White and Ida Irene Dodson White. He graduated in the Class of 1950 from Dupo High School, in Dupo, Illinois. He served his country proudly in the U.S. Army during the Korean War rising to the rank of Sergeant.  Along with his service medals, he was awarded the Ambassador for Peace Medal from the South Korean Ambassador.

Charlie then began what would become a long career of service to his community when he joined the police department of the Village of Sauget, Illinois as a patrol officer. He worked his way up through the ranks and became the Police Chief and then the Director of Public Safety over both the police department and the fire department. While working with the Sauget Police Department, Charlie also worked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) assisting with training, bomb scene investigations and disposal.

He served on the Cahokia Unit School District 187 School Board for 22 years, including serving as President and Secretary.

Charlie married his beloved wife, Barbara on July 28, 1987 in Honolulu, Hawaii. They enjoyed traveling and Charlie especially loved seeing Civil War battlefields. In 1987, Charlie retired from Sauget and went to work for the St. Clair County Sheriff serving as a bailiff in the criminal courts. When his wife retired in 1999, they moved to Katy, Texas to be closer to their grandchildren.

Charlie is a life member of the Katy Elks Lodge #2628; a life member of the American Legion Post #0164, in Katy; and a life member of the Katy V.F.W. Post 9182. He was also a member of the Emeth Lodge #1030, a Masonic Lodge in Cahokia, Illinois, where Charlie became a Master Mason.

He is survived by his wife of 34 years, Barbara (Kuehner) White; daughter, Michelle Reese and her husband Kendall; grandsons, Kyle Reese and his wife Ashley and Travis Reese and his wife Kristin; great grandsons, Bryson, Easton and Tyler; brother-in-law, Dennis McMullan; sister-in-law, Kathy Kuehner; nephews, Tom Cates and his wife Cindy, Tim Cates and Dennis Meuren; niece, Sherry Cates Straub and her husband Mike; and many friends.

He was preceded in death by his father, Charles B. White, Sr.; his mother, Ida Irene Dodson White; and by his sisters, Doris, Dorothy and Charlotte.

The family wishes to offer their sincerest thanks to Kacey, Jackie, Kevin and Rasa with Tradition Health Hospice in Tomball for their kindness and exceptional care. A graveside service with full military honors was held in Houston National Cemetery at a later date. Those wishing to make a memorial gift may do so to the Katy V.F.W. Post 9182, P.O. Box 37, Katy, Texas 77492.

White, Harry Edward

Harry Edward White, 81, of Salisbury, Maryland, passed away on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at his residence. Born in Salisbury, he was the son of the late George Reynolds White and Mary Elizabeth Elliott White.

Harry received a medical discharge and retired from the US Air Force in 1954. His career continued as a teacher at the Wicomico County Vocational Tech Center in Salisbury for many years. He was a member of Disabled American Veterans, Korean War Veterans, American Legion, Post 64, Lifetime member of VFW, Redmens Lodge and Nutters Crossing Golf Club. He was a compassionate gentlemen, raising money for various charities. Harry enjoyed photography; fishing, automobile mechanics and home repair, and was an avid golfer.

He is survived by his loving wife of 59 years, Barbara Etta Crouch White; two grandchildren, Lindsay Parker and Matthew Parker; two great grandchildren, Matthew Jordan and Shelby Lynn; a son in law, Geoff Parker of Salisbury; and many cousins.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a daughter, Deborah Lynn Parker in 2002.

A graveside memorial service with military honors will be held at a later date in Allen, Maryland.

Contributions in his memory may be made to American Legion, Post 64, 1109 American Legion Road, Salisbury, Maryland 21804 and or Coastal Hospice, P.O. Box 1733, Salisbury, Maryland 21802.

White, Neal C.

Neal was born on December 18, 1931 in Madison, Wisconsin and found peace on Monday, January 14, 2019, at the age of 87 years.

Neal served in the US Marine Corps during the Korean War. He worked for the Cudahy School District for over 30 years, first as a teacher then as a principal. After retirement Neal worked part time as an instructor at MATC. He was very involved in the community, serving as a longtime member of the Cudahy Kiwanis, Board of Health, and as a volunteer for many organizations.

He was the loving father of David (Lori), Kathleen (Paul) Schroeder, and Michael (Lisa), and the dear grandfather of Brandon, Kevin, Kelsey, and Nathan, who survive. He was also survived by nieces, nephews, other relatives, and friends.

Neal was preceded in death by his wife Eileen of 57 years, parents Francis and Helen, and siblings John, Gerald, and Mary.

Visitation was held on Monday, January 21, 2019 at Nativity of the Lord Catholic Church, 3672 East Plankinton Avenue, Cudahy from 9:00 AM until the Mass of Christian Burial at 11:00 AM. Interment followed at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery.

Wilke, Norman B.

Norman B. Wilke, 90, of Shiloh, Illinois, born May 9, 1932, in St. Libory, Illinois, passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his family on Saturday, December 10, 2022, at his residence.

Norman, founder of the long-standing metro east window and door company, Wilke Window & Door, Inc., grew up in the small town of St. Libory. He enlisted in the U.S. Army on November 4, 1952, at age 20, and was a veteran of the Korean War. Norman was honorably discharged from the Army in 1954, after serving two years in the 4th platoon as a 114th Graves Registration Quartermaster, to go home and marry his sweetheart, Dorothy, on January 11, 1956.

In 1962, Norman started a small, one-man operation installing screen doors in addition to his full-time job at Swift Packing Company in East St. Louis, ILllinois He eventually grew his sideline business into one of the largest window and door dealerships in the Metro St. Louis area – Wilke Window & Door Co., Inc.

Norman decided to semi-retire in 1991 but continued to work alongside his son at the family business. Later, he started a separate division of Wilke Window & Door called Norm’s Bargain Barn, selling discount windows, doors and cabinetry. He oversaw the operations of Norm’s Bargain Barn, often working 40+ hours per week into his 90’s.

Norman loved his family. He was dedicated to hard work and was genuinely interested in the needs of his customers and employees. He was well known in Shiloh and the surrounding areas both for his character and his “pet” Clydesdale horses that he raised and displayed at many area parades and events through the years. Norm was also a member of St. Teresa Catholic Church, the Shiloh Eagles 545, the American Legion – St. Libory Post 683, the Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge 1221, and the local area “Norms Club”.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Gerhard and Martha, nee Sandheinrich, Wilke; his sisters, Lorraine Weber, Laverne (Jerome) Schoenherr; his brother, Roman (Doris) Wilke; his father-in-law and mother-in-law, George and Christine Schulte; and his sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law, Alvina (Aloys) Albers, Leo (Clara) Schulte, Lawrence (Delores) Schulte, Joseph Schulte, Ray Michels, Ray Schwaegel, Ralph Tonnies, Hugo (Arlene) Schulte, Leo Speichinger and Clara Kohrmann.

Surviving are his wife of 66 years, Dorothy, nee Schulte, Wilke; his children, Carolyn (Joe) Wilke-Wojtal, Steven (Ruth) Wilke, and Lisa (John) Wilke-Lee; ten grandchildren, Alexandra (Zebulon) Holder, Nicholas (Alyssa) Wojtal, Christina (Matthew) Smith, Michelle Wilke (Brendan Wrubel), Matthew (Katie) Wilke, Samantha Wilke, Victoria (Connor) Wiley,
Mitchell (Marissa) Lee, Hayden Lee, and Tessa Lee; five great-grandchildren, Ezekiel Holder, Arabella Smith, Ethan Wilke, Oliver Wilke, Lawson Wiley, and baby Smith, due in March;
brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, Vernon Weber, Bob Kohrmann, Helen Tonnies, Alice Speichinger and Loretta Kuderna; and numerous nieces and nephews.

The family would like to thank Nina Dorsey for her assistance and exceptional nursing care.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to St. Teresa School in Belleville, Illinois or to ProMedica Hospice. Visitation: Friends may visit from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, December 16, 2022, and from 8:30 to 10:15 a.m. Saturday, December 17, 2022, at St. Teresa Catholic Church, 1201 Lebanon Avenue, Belleville 62221. Funeral: A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 17, 2022, at St. Teresa Catholic Church, Belleville, with Fr. Jim Thomas and Msgr. David Darin concelebrating. Burial with military honors will be held at Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Shiloh.

Wilken, Roger

Member of 1-7 Marines, Roger Wilken died of cancer of the esophagus on August 20, 2005.  His wife Phyllis said, "He gave it his all and although he was surrounded by the enemy, he went down fighting like a true Marine."

Wilkins, Van Court

Van Court Wilkins, a retired Army colonel and veteran of World War II and the Korean War, died December 23, 2013, at a hospital in Martinsburg, West Virginia. He was 87. The cause was complications from Alzheimer’s disease, said his daughter Michelle Cardillo.

Colonel Wilkins served 31 years in the Army and in American-occupied Japan after World War II. During the Korean War, he received the Silver Star. His other decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star Medal and the Purple Heart.

In his final active-duty assignment, he was an administrator at the National War College at Fort McNair in Washington. He then was financial officer with the Association of American Colleges and Universities from 1975 to 1983, followed by editing work at transportation-oriented publications including Passenger Train Journal and Motor Coach Age.

Van Court Wilkins was born in Chevy Chase and raised in Lebanon, Ohio. He was a 1959 graduate of the University of Maryland, where he also received a master’s degree in business administration in 1962. He received a master’s degree in political science from George Washington University in 1968. He moved to Shepherdstown, West Virginia, from Alexandria in the mid-1980s.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Demaris Forsythe Wilkins of Shepherdstown; five children, Kristen Brown of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Sharron McCoy of Litchfield, Connecticut, Jennifer O’Neill of Milmont Park, Pennsylvania, John Wilkins of Jefferson, Maryland, and Michelle Cardillo of Union, New Jersey; and 12 grandchildren.

Williams, Edward Lamar Jr.

Edward Lamar Williams, Jr. died Tuesday, June 8, 2010. Graveside services were held at 3:30 p.m., Friday, June 11, 2010, at Juliette United Methodist Church Cemetery, Juliette, GA. The Reverend Sandra Fendley officiated. The family greeted friends from 6 until 8 p.m., Thursday, June 10, 2010, at Monroe County Memorial Chapel.

Mr. Williams, the son of the late Edward Lamar Williams, Sr. and Lillian Harrison Williams, was born June 4, 1930, in Bolingbroke, Georgia. His wife, Barbara Holt Williams preceded him in death. He attended Middle Georgia College and retired from Southern Natural Gas Company. Mr. Williams was a veteran of the United States Army, serving during the Korean War.

Survivors include his devoted companion, Delores Molton of Macon; children, Edward (Debbie) Lamar Williams, III of Macon and Ernest Holt Williams of Juliette; sister and brother-in-law, Lorena and Judge John Peach of Jasper, Florida; brother, Robert M. Williams of Juliette; grandchildren, Alison (Dave) Wallace and Edward Lamar Williams, IV.

In lieu of flowers the family suggests donations to the Salvation Army, PO Box 13386, Macon, GA 31208.

Wills, John Broddus Jr.

John Broddus Wills Jr., 84, of Spotsylvania County passed away on Monday, May 13, 2013, at WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh, North Carolina.  A service will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at Flat Run Baptist Church, Locust Grove. An additional service will be held at 11 a.m. on Monday, May 20, at Fairfax Baptist Church, Fairfax. Interment will follow in Fairfax Memorial Gardens.

John was born on January 4, 1929, in Lovingston, the son of the late John B. Wills Sr. and Pattie Thompson. He attended Fairfax High School and graduated in 1946. John married Bernice M. Cobb on April 18, 1949, at Centreville Methodist Church. They were happily married for 64 years.

John's career began as a store manager in Centreville and the Torpedo Plant in Alexandria. In 1948, he entered the United States Marine Corps Reserves and then served on active duty as a sergeant in the Korean War from 1950-1952.  Sergeant Wills was a member of the 1st 90mm AAA Gun Battalion in the U.S.A. and Korea.  He was the company's lead carpenter and a fine Marine.

Upon his return to Virginia he was employed as a building foreman at May Properties, a residential custom homebuilder in the McLean area, where he worked for many years. In parallel, as an entrepreneur, he applied his passion for architecture and established a building business known as Clingenpeel and Wills, with a family friend.

Following his departure from May Properties, he worked for a company known as Cherrydale as an executive sales representative for several years, selling building materials. John's final job until retirement in 1992 was for a national builder at Trammel Crow, serving as a quality-control associate for the East Coast region.

John was a lifetime member and very active Christian serving his local church as a deacon and youth counselor. He enjoyed the outdoors and traveling within the United States. In his spare time, he enjoyed farming, fishing, hunting and time with the family.

Wilson, Paul

Paul Wilson of Edward C. Allworth Veterans' Home in Oregon died March 29, 2020 of coronavirus.  He was born January 16, 1929 in Tidewater.  He joined the U.S. Navy on July 9, 1948, and then reenlisted for a second tour of duty in 1951 during the Korean War.  He served aboard the USS Furse and USS Carrier.  He was a Navy mechanic 1948-1957. He primarily worked as a long-haul truck driver and was co-owner of William and Paul Wilson Trucking Company, Philomath.  He and his wife June were married 54 years before she died in 2014.  They were parents of Robert Wilson and Mary Ruth Wilson.

Wisnasky, Clarence Roy

Clarence Roy Wisnasky, age 89, lifelong resident of Shiloh, Illinois, born July 23, 1933 in Shiloh, passed away September 8, 2022 at Keystone Place, O'Fallon, Illinois.

Clarence grew up in Shiloh, attended O'Fallon schools and joined the Army at a young age. He served honorably two years during the Korean War, and an additional six years in the Army Reserves. He was a mechanic for Goodyear for 18 years before coming onboard with O'Fallon Gas & Oil Supply, where he delivered heating oil to homes throughout rural St. Clair County. Clarence later earned his CDL and drove a fuel tanker truck and delivered gas and diesel fuel to various gas stations and fuel depots in the metro-east until his retirement in 1992. He was a member of Teamsters Local 50.

He enjoyed his retirement taking sightseeing bus trips with his wife Rose. Clarence was honored to replace his late father-in-law Eugene Braun and to serve in various positions for nearly 60 years on the Catholic Knights and Ladies of Illinois Country Club (CK&LofI) Board of Directors. Clarence was a lifelong parishioner at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, an avid Cardinals' fan and NASCAR fan and member of O'Fallon Sportsmen's Club.

He was preceded in death by his mother Edna Wisnasky, and his sister Alberta Moles.
Surviving are his beloved wife Rose Marie, nee Braun, Wisnasky, whom he married November 3, 1956 at St. Peter's Cathedral in Belleville; his children Susan L. Wisnasky of Belleville, Michael G. (Brenda) Wisnasky of Troy, Illinois, and Steven R. (Marlena) Wisnasky of Edwardsville; brother Don (Margaret) Wisnasky of Lombard, Illinois; grandchildren Gregory Wisnasky, Courtney (Caleb) Marsh, Elliott (Bre) Wisnasky, Brian (Jill) Baglin, Allan Baglin, Savanah (Josh) Newman, Travis (Kim) Wisnasky, Shelby (Jordan) Grammer, Annaniya Wisnasky, and Grayson Wisnasky; great-grandchildren Brooklyn, Jonathan, Brayden, Breanna, Enzo, Abby, Caleb, Caroline, Charlotte, Cameron, Ryker, and Riley; and goddaughter Marylu (Steve) Liley.

Online condolences may be shared with the family at Visitation will be 5-8 pm, Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at Wolfersberger Funeral Home, 102 W. Washington Street. O'Fallon. Visitation will continue at 9 am, Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at the funeral home. Procession will depart Wolfersberger Funeral Home at 9:40 am, Wednesday for a Mass of Christian Burial to begin at 10 am, at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 205 Rasp Street, Shiloh, with Fr. Paul Wienhoff presiding. Burial with military honors will follow at Mt. Calvary Catholic Cemetery, Shiloh.

Woehlke, Herbert

Herbert Louis Woehlke, 89 years of Millstadt, Illinois, passed away on Saturday, January 7, 2023, at St. Paul's Senior Community, Belleville, Illinois. He was born June 12, 1933, in Pinckneyville, Illinois.

He proudly served in the United States Air Force as Communications Security during the Korean War. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Millstadt, Telephone Pioneers of America, AARP, 4H and was a previous member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Columbia. When he wasn't working he enjoyed carpentry and building furniture, working on his computer, gardening, watching sports, especially the St. Louis Cardinals and any football game that was on.

On December 19, 1953, in East St. Louis, at St. Peter's Lutheran Church he was united in marriage to Margie Marie Sauerbrunn and to this union three children were born. They shared sixty-nine years of marriage together.

He is survived by his wife, Margie Woehlke of Millstadt; his three children, Doyle (Cindy) Woehlke of Millstadt, David Woehlke of Millstadt, and Vicki (John) Pajda of Fairview Heights; his seven grandchildren, Ryan (Jaime) Woehlke of Millstadt, Shaun (Chelsi) Woehlke of Wentzville, Missouri, Kelly (Mark) Riemann of Columbia, Illinois, Stacy Woehlke of Columbia, Marcus (Kiersten) Pajda of Belleville, Alicia (fiancé Stephen Cunningham) Pajda of Atlanta, Georgia, and Candice Pajda of Belleville; his five great-grandchildren, Josephina, Alessandra, Asher, Gray and Ryker; numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and many dear friends.
He was preceded in death by his father, Emil Woehlke; his mother, Selma (nee Wendling) Woehlke; his two sisters, Dorothy Woehlke and Esther Woehlke; his three brothers, Clarence Woehlke, Lawrence Woehlke and Herman E Woehlke; and his daughter-in-law, Lori Woehlke.

Visitation will be held on Monday, January 9, 2023, 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm, at Leesman Funeral Home - Millstadt, Millstadt, IL, and on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, 9:00 am - 10:00 am, at Trinity Lutheran Church, Millstadt, IL. Services will be held on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, at Trinity Lutheran Church, Millstadt, IL with Pastor Peter Ill officiating. Interment will follow in the St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery, Columbia, Illinois. In lieu of customary remembrances, the family requests with gratitude that memorial contributions be directed to Trinity Lutheran Church 503 East Washington St., Millstadt, IL 62260, or Alzheimer's Association of St. Louis 9370 Olive Street Rd., Olivette, Missouri 63132.

Wood, Joseph Solomon Sr.

On Friday, October 23, 2020, Joseph (Joe) Solomon Wood Sr. departed this life at Gilchrist Center in Columbia, Maryland. Joe succumbed to arrhythmia related heart disease after a short hospitalization. He was 86. Joe, the youngest of 12, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on May 12, 1934, to Albert Bryant Wood and Rosa Elaine Rhem Wood. Joe's grandfather, William Wood, was a former slave who fought for his freedom during the Civil War in the US 20th Colored Troops Infantry.

As a child, Joe received his education in the Philadelphia school system and his religious training in the Presbyterian Church. Joe served as a paratrooper and received the Purple Heart during the Korean War. Afterwards, Joe finished night school, graduated with a degree in accounting from Temple University in 2.5 years, and then completed business school, while working as a postal employee. Later, Joe became one of the first African-American Systems Engineers at IBM, completed executive education programs at Stanford and Harvard, worked at Princeton, and became an owner operator of multiple McDonald's franchises while pursuing his pilot's license. Joe was also a life member of both Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and the NAACP, as well as, a lifelong jazz enthusiast.

Joe was preceded in death by his first wife, Barbara Elaine Robinson Wood, his second wife, Vera Marlene Ethengain Wood; and three sons: Joseph Jr., Lawrence, and Stephen. Left to cherish his memory are: his sons Stanley and Albert, and his daughter Stephanie, as well as, a host of relatives, and friends. - Published in Baltimore Sun on November 11, 2020.

Wood, Morton "Pete"

[The following obituary appeared in the Washington Post.]

Morton Wood, 86, a mechanical engineer who owned his own engineering firm, died August 10, 2009, of pneumonia and sepsis at the nursing facility of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Washington.  He was a Bethesda resident.

Mr. Wood was born in Washington and was a graduate of the old Western High School.  He served in the Army during World War II and survived the December 24, 1944, sinking of the troopship S.S. Leopoldville.  An estimated 800 servicemen died in the ship's sinking.

He was recalled to active duty in the Korean War and was severely wounded by machine-gun fire in 1951.

After graduating from Virginia Tech in 1947, Mr. Wood joined the engineering firm of H. Walton Redmile Associates.  He later became the owner of the company before retiring in the 1970s.  He then worked as a consulting engineer with the Montgomery County public schools until the 1990s.

He enjoyed singing with the Old Line Four barbershop quartet and was a member of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America.  He also enjoyed golf and owned a driving range in College Park in the late 1940s and early 1950s.  He was a member of Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church in Bethesda. Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Ella Boothe Wood of Bethesda.


Morton Wood, Jr. "Pete"

"Mr. Wood was born in February 1923, in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.  He spent his childhood in Washington, never leaving except for college and military service.  After graduation from Western High School, he attended Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI), which was a full 24-hour military academy. When World War II broke out, he was about one-third through his senior year of college.  He immediately went to Officer Candidate School and was assigned to the 66th "Black Panther" Division.  On December 24, 1944, he boarded the SS Leopoldville in England.  The ship was torpedoed in the English Channel that cold, dark, choppy night, taking the lives of about 800 men.

After time, and Europe, peace finally came.  He elected to remain in the reserves.  He took a summer job with H. Walton Redmile, Consulting Engineers and returned to finish his education at VPI in the fall.  He received his B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and returned to H. Walton Redmile and Associates as a part of the organization.  It was there that he met Ella, his future wife of 55 years.  Mr. Wood loved golf and in his spare time, he and Carl Rasnic, a fellow student from VPO, purchased a driving range.  Pete worked weekends and Mr. Rasnic all the time. Mr. Wood's recall to the military came in January 1951.  He left a successful business and sold his part in the golf range to Carl Rasnic.  He had one foot on the gangplank, headed to Korea, when orders came from General Parker in Washington to report immediately to the 3rd Infantry Regiment at Ft. Myer in Virginia. After a short time, he was once again ordered to Korea via the West Coast where he was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division.  His training in World War II served him quite well, he said but his stay was short.  After a very short time of intensive fighting, he was severely wounded in the right hip, resulting in a lacerated sciatic nerve.  He received immediate attention, was picked up by a M.A.S.H. helicopter, stayed for three days, and then flown to Japan and subsequently to Walter Reed in Washington, D.C.  He was awarded a Purple Heart. Though the wound was severe and efforts to rehabilitate took a long time, he returned to his engineering career and became the owner of H. Walton Redmile and Associates from which he eventually retired.  He finished his career doing consulting work with the Montgomery County School Board of Maryland. He was a lover of poetry, enjoyed the frustrations of golf, mountain hiking, and barbershop music.  He was a member of SPEBSQSA, sang in the chorus, as well as in the "Old Line Four" quartet.  He was in the Honor Society of Tau Beta Tau and a member of Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church of Bethesda, MD. Mr. Wood cared deeply about those of both wars that served with him and kept in touch with many of them, including his rescuer from the English ship, the Brilliant."

Woods, Jack Crayton

Jack Crayton Woods, 92, of Belleville, Illinois, born June 2, 1929, in Eldred, Illinois, died Monday, December 06, 2021, at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, O'Fallon, Illinois.  He grew up in Eldred, and wrote a book about it.

His fourth year of high school was in Carrollton, Illinois, where he met Carrol Reno, and they were married for 70 years.  Jack and Carrol were partners in many adventures, including sailing the Caribbean and the Chesapeake Bay with CSA friends.  They belonged to the Carlyle Sailing Association for over 20 years.  He loved to cruise as well, and took the whole family on a cruise in 2011 to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.  He also enjoyed spending time with very special friends at the Red Coconut in Ft. Myers Beach.  Jack worked for many years as an attorney before his retirement.

He was a United States Army Korean War veteran and served more than 42 years in active duty and the United States Army Reserve combined.  Jack was a member of Union United Methodist Church, Belleville, Illinois, and a lifetime member of the Masons.  He was proud of his military service, and he loved his family very much.  He was a great storyteller and martini maker.  Jack will be missed by many.

He was preceded in death by a son, Bradley Woods; his parents, Colonel Crayton "CC" and Nina Chapman Woods; and a sister, Lora Woods.  Surviving are his wife of 70 years, Carrol J. Reno Woods, whom he married on September 22, 1951; a daughter, Barbara J. Woods of Edwardsville, Illinois; a daughter-in-law, Nancy Turner Woods; four grandsons, Bryan Woods, Bruce (Crystal) Woods, Bryce Woods, and Benjamin Woods; six great-grandchildren: Matt (Mindi) Weik, and Joe, Kiley, Braeden, Parker, and Presley Woods; and a sister-in-law, Barbara Smith.

The family would like to thank the nurses, doctors, and staff at HSHS St. Elizabeth's ICU for the kindness and care shown to Jack and the family.  Memorials may be made to Union United Methodist Church, Belleville, or to the National Federation of the Blind.

Funeral service was held December 13, 2021 at Union United Methodist Church, Belleville.  Burial with military honors was held at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.



Woodworth, Jason Tamasese "Woody"

Jason Tamasese "Woody" Woodworth, MSG, US Army, retired, passed away 15 January 2009 in Hawaii. Woody’s Special Operations assignments included: FOB2 (C&C), OP 34A & 35A, and Liaison Bureau. He was a veteran of the Korean War serving with Co G, 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team. Prior to the Korean War he served with the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 11th Airborne Division in Japan. Other assignments included 2nd Airborne Battle Group, 503rd Infantry, Okinawa, 1st, 3rd and 5th Special Forces Groups, MACV Recondo School and the Pathfinder Platoon, 25th Infantry Division. He also was attached to 1st Special Forces Group SCUBA Detachment twice: once as a medic and once as an interpreter. After retiring from the US Army, Woody went to work with Vinnell Corporation in Saudi Arabia and then went to work for Civil Service at the US Army Range Control Center at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii; Pohakuloa Training Center, Hawaii; Range Control, 2nd Infantry Division, South Korea. His many awards included the Silver Star for Heroism during the Korean War, Combat Infantryman Badge (2nd Award), Pathfinder Badge, Master Parachutists Badge. Woody founded Chapter 43 of the Special Forces Association. Woody is survived by his beloved wife Jean, Hilo, Hawaii.

Woolbert, Alexander Joseph

My father was Alexander Joseph Woolbert. He served two tours of duty in the US Army. He passed away on October 24, 2002. First service dates Mar 1946 – Jan 1950 in the 78th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, A Battery in Germany. His second tour included Korea and Occupational Army in Germany. That tour was Feb 1951 – January 1954 in the 229th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery B. Given that he was in Korea, and the 229th was not, I believe based on some pictures that he was in Korea from approximately Mar 51 to January 1952 in the 176th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. His total overseas duty time was 4 years, 9 months. What details would you like for the obituary?

My father served in an extraordinary time. To my mother’s knowledge, he was in Germany and was rotated onto guard duty of a prison that held SS Soldiers and also may have been a guard at some of the prisons where the Nuremburg Trial prisoners were held. In Korea, we believe he was debarked from a ship and was trucked directly to the front lines somewhere on some river. There are a couple of stories that include him going into direct combat against the Chinese at the river and then ended up shooting a young (15 or so years old) Chinese boy. It changed his life forever. Dad was in the Field Artillery virtually at all times for most of his service duty. I think the river battle was one of those emergency needs to hold and everybody on the boat was pushed up to the front to hold.

What I've been trying to do is reconstruct to some degree where he was ad when. That in itself is a large task given there are few records that I have and getting information has been sketchy at best.

Wright, Vernon Kenneth

Vernon Kenneth Wright, 74, of Denton died Sunday, September 9, 2007 at his residence. He was born December 28, 1932 in Mineral Wells to Vernon and Charlotte Wright. He married Theresa Gail McNatt in Fort Worth. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was retired from American Airlines as Supervisor/Manager of Ramp Services at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport after 37 years. He was a member of Military Order of the Purple Heart, VFW, 3rd Infantry Division and First United Methodist Church of Denton.

He is survived by his wife, Theresa Gail Wright; daughter Cecilia Kim Wright Martin and husband, Edward; daughter Cynthia Lou Wright Brown and husband, Joe; and son, Charles C. Wright and wife, Louanne, all of Denton; grandchildren, Andrew Martin, Eddie Martin, Jr., Toni Chism, Shelby Brown, Annie Wright, Lauren Watkins and Justin Watkins; and four great-grandchildren. His parents preceded him in death.

A memorial service was held Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 11 a.m. in the Cole Chapel of First United Methodist Church. The family requested that donations be made to American Cancer Society in memory of Kenneth Wright in lieu of flowers.

Wymore, Robert Warren

Robert Warren Wymore, 88, of Mayville, North Dakota, passed away peacefully on Sunday, November 6, 2016 at Luther Memorial Home in Mayville.

Bob was born October 14th, 1928 in Swift County, Minnesota to Ray and Thelma (Lowry) Wymore. He grew up in Rock Lake, North Dakota, where he graduated from Rock Lake High School. He was drafted into the army in 1950 and served a tour of duty in Korea. He received a bronze star for the longest continuous combat on record.

After an honorable discharge, he returned home to Rock Lake. He married Luella McPherson in Leeds, North Dakota, in June of 1952. He attended and graduated from Mayville State Teachers College in 1957. He went on to teach science at Larimore High School and completed his Masters of Science degree. He returned to Mayville State, this time as a professor. During this time, he pursued his Ph.D. at Texas A & M and University of Northern Colorado Greeley. He taught at Mayville State until his retirement in 1992.

Bob had many interests and hobbies. He enjoyed traveling, fishing at their lake cabin, woodworking, photography, gardening, serving as a national weather service observer, and flying after obtaining his private pilot's license. He was also an active member at Mayville Lutheran Church and served in many capacities.

Robert is survived by his wife Luella, Mayville; children - Steven (Carolyn) Wymore of Nisswa, Minnesota; Bruce (Mindy) Wymore, Alexandria, Minnesota; Rebecca (Mark) McLain, Bloomington, Minnesota; Linette (Duane) Kangas, Moorhead, Minnesota; Ann (Kurt) Mack, Knoxville, Tennessee; fourteen grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. He is also survived by his sister Geraldine (Elmer) Bierman, Minot, North Dakota.

He was preceded in death by his father, Ray; his mother, Thelma; three sisters, Edith Ziegler, Bertha Anton, and Betty Shreiner; and four nieces.

Visitation: Will be from 5-7 PM on Thursday, November 10, 2016 with a 6:30 PM Public Prayer Service at the Luther Memorial Home Chapel in Mayville, ND and resumes one hour prior to the service at the church.

His funeral service was held at 10:30 a.m., Friday, November 11, 2016 at Mayville Lutheran Church in Mayville. Burial was in the Mayville Cemetery, Mayville.

Wyrick, Col. William E.

Funeral services for Col. William E. Wyrick, U.S. Army (Ret.), will be held 2 p.m. Thursday, December 21, 2006, at Greenlawn Funeral Home , 845 Leesburg Road, Columbia, SC 29209, with burial in Greenlawn Memorial Park Northeast with full military honors. Visitation will be Wednesday, December 20, 2006, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the funeral home. Memorials may be made to National Parkinson Foundation, Inc. 1501 N.W. 9th Avenue/Bob Hope Road Miami FL 33136-1494 or Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens, 500 Wildlife Parkway Columbia SC 29210.

William E. “Bill” Wyrick, also known as “Chief” by his comrades in arms, died at his home Sunday, December 17, 2006. He was born December 20, 1924, in Skiatook, Oklahoma, to the late Elmer F. “Bill” Wyrick and Mildred Stevens Wyrick. He graduated from Will Rogers High School in Tulsa in 1942. He attended Oklahoma Military Academy Junior College before entering the service. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1963 and his Master’s of Education from the University of South Carolina in 1975.

Colonel Wyrick entered the Army June 17, 1943. He completed the Officer Candidate Course at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1945; the Advanced Infantry Course, Fort Benning, in 1954; and the Associate Course at the Command and General Staff College in 1964. In addition, he completed the Airborne course and the Spanish Language Course at the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California. Among his assignments were: from 1949 through 1952 served as a platoon leader and then Company Commander of C Company 21st Inf. Regt. 24 Inf. Div. (part of Task Force Smith); from April 1956 to April 1957, served as Chief, Ground Defense Branch, Headquarter, 12th Air Force at Ramstein AFS, Germany; from June 1957 to September 1960, was the Executive Officer for Evaluation, Infantry OCS, Fort Benning, GA; from January 1963 to July 1964, was at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, as Commanding Officer of the 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 2nd Basic Combat Training Regiment. In September 1965, he went to Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic, where he served as Chief, Army Section, MAAG; from July 1967 to July 1969, was Division Advisor, Iowa Army National Guard, in Des Moines Iowa. From August 1969 until July 1970, was Senior Advisor, ARVN Infantry School, and Inspector General, XXIV Corps in Vietnam. In September 1970, Colonel Wyrick came to Fort Jackson where he served as the Deputy Director, DPT and Executive officer, Basic Combat Training “BCT” Committee Group and later served as the Commanding Officer of the BCT Committee Group. Col Wyrick retired from the Army July 1, 1973, after serving 30 years.

His awards and decorations include the Silver Star, awarded in Korea in 1950; the Legion of Merit, awarded in Vietnam in 1970; Bronze Star with Valor with three Oak Leaf Clusters; the Army Commendation Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster; the Air Force Commendation Medal; Good Conduct Medal; American Campaign Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Army of Occupation Medal for Germany and Japan; National Defense Service Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster; Korean Service Medal; UN Service Medal; Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Dominican Republic); Vietnam Service Medal; Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal; Distinguished Unit Emblem; Presidential Unit Citation and the Korean Presidential Unit Citation. He was also awarded the Combat Infantryman and Parachute badges and in 1972, he was inducted into the Infantry Officer Candidate School Hall of Fame at Fort Benning, GA.

Colonel Wyrick and his late wife, Nina B Murphy, continued to live in Columbia after his retirement. He earned his Master’s of Education in Secondary Education from the University of South Carolina in 1975 and worked at the South Carolina State Department of Education for several years. He then became the primary caregiver for his mother. He served as Past President and the Historian for the 21st Infantry Regiment Association and was a Life Member of the 24th Infantry Division Association. He was a member of the Osage tribe and the Hillside Cemetery Association. He was a 32 degree Mason affiliated with the Skiatook Masonic Lodge.

Surviving are his son and his wife, Vance and Sandra Wyrick of Leesburg, FL; his daughter and her husband, Debbie and Bobby Havens of West Columbia; his daughter and her husband, Laurie and Robert Taylor of Columbia; his seven grandchildren, Matthew Wyrick, Maryann Wyrick, Krista Sanderlin-Bunnell, Brandan Clark, Stacey Taylor, John Taylor and Sarah Beth Taylor; two great-grandchildren, Emily Wyrick and Allison Driggers; special friends, Debbi Coker and Kathryn Bascom. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Nina, his brother, Philip Wyrick and his son, Marty Sanderlin.

The family would like to thank Dr. Dale Hamrick and the staff at Palmetto Health Hospice and Comfort Keepers, Inc. for their loving care.

Wyant, Pearl Edward "Junior"

Pearl Edward Wyant
(Click picture for a larger view)

Pearl Edward "Junior" Wyant was born November 19, 1919, in Odin, Illinois. the son of Purl and Rosa May French. His father was a coal miner and his mother was a teacher. He moved to Colorado when he was give years old and spent his youth in Colorado Springs. His mother died of tuberculosis in 1924, and his father was killed in a construction accident in 1936, when Junior was 16.

He joined the U.S. Army when he was 17 and served for over 20 years. Junior was stationed at the Pueblo Army Depot during World War II, and was a front-line medic in the Korean War. On June 15, 1941, he married Ruth Vetterling at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital. Junior and Ruth led the nomadic military life for over 12 years, until they settled in Colorado Springs in 1953 after he returned from Korea.

His son Rick was born in 1954, and Robert Joseph"Rob" was born in 1957. After he retired from the Army in 1958, Junior focused on raising his family. He was devoted to the educational success of his sons, who both graduated from high school and the University of Colorado, Boulder.

In 1973, Junior and Ruth moved to Denver. In 1978. Rob was injured in a windstorm accident, and Junior, along with Ruth, spent the rest of their lives devoted to Rob's care.  Junior and Ruth moved to East Boulder in 1985. In 1991, Junior and Ruth celebrated their 50th anniversary. All total, Junior and Ruth were married for 59 years.

Rob Wyant died October 13, 2003.  Edna Ruth Vetterling Wyant died February 19, 2007.  Pearl Wyant died September 20, 2000.  Pearl and Ruth are buried in Ft. Logan National Cemetery, Denver, Colorado.

Junior had four sisters (Lucille, Ida Fay, Lorene, and Betty Lou) and four brothers (John, Joe, Paul, and Dale). Paul, Lorene, and Betty Lou survive him. Junior had three grandchildren., Michael 0 'Neal, Jeff O'Neal, and Stephanie 0'Neal, and also had 20+ nieces and nephews.

Junior was generally considered the patriarch of the Wyant family and committed himself to helping his brothers, sisters. nieces, nephews, great nieces, and great nephews to become better people.  Junior also was a surrogate father and brother for many of the families he was close to, including the Pattons (Patti, Sharon, Roger, Harry, and Sugar) and the Smiths (Vern and Phil).

Junior was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, and National Rifle Association. He was a true "American Patriot" and spent enormous energy throughout his life protecting the rights that we Americans enjoy under the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Wray, Carl Jackson Jr.

Carl Jackson Wray Jr. was born September 13, 1931 in Rutherford County, North Carolina, the son of Carl Jackson Wray Sr. (1907-1976) and Lovina B. Bradford Wray (1912-1989).  He was the husband of Brenda Gail Robinson Wray, and the brother of Mrs. Kenneth (Betty) Wray Laws (1933-2004).  Carl Jr. was a corporal first class in the military police during the Korean War.  His father, Carl Sr., served in the Navy as a private first class.  He was on the S.S. Hornet at Pearl Harbor during World War II.  - Posted in loving memory of my daddy, Cpl. Carl Jackson Wray Jr., and my grandpa, Pfc. Carl Jackson Wray Sr.  Miss you and love you. - Jeanne Wray

Wyscarver, Richard L.

Richard L. Wyscarver (How Company, 1st Marine Regiment, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Division) served in Korea in 1950.  He was born August 20, 1931 and died August 2, 2002.  A message from his daughter, Vicki Blazick, tells the Korean War Educator, "My father received the Purple Heart, Silver Medal, and the Presidential Citation.  He was a disabled war veteran all of his adult life due to his injuries sustained in the battle of the Chosin Reservoir in November 1950.  He was 19 years old at the time.  He was a wonderful man and father and I miss him tremendously.  He is survived by myself and his two sons."


Close this window

© 2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter