Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "T"

Close this window

Tabash, Donald

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved father, grandfather, and great grandfather. Don passed away peacefully in his sleep at home, on July 16, 2023 at the age of 92.

A lifelong resident of Santa Clara, where he graduated from Santa Clara High in 1951. After graduation, Don joined the U.S. Navy where he served during the Korean War from 1952-1956. Upon returning, Don went to work for the City of Santa Clara, and after 35 years of dedicated service, he retired. Don was a volunteer fire fighter for the City of Santa Clara for 18 years. He enjoyed many years of stopping in to chat and bringing donuts to the guys at the station.

Don had a passion for classic cars, mainly roadsters. He was a member of the San Jose Roadster Club for 14 years. Don was happiest when he was busy. He enjoyed being surrounded by friends and family, going on roadster runs, tinkering with his car, going out to eat, and going to the casino. His biggest passion was his family and he always put family first. He was so proud of his daughter, Natalie Afflerback and her children, Nicole Alise, Eric Afflerback, and Jennifer Jergens (Brian). He was the proud grandfather of three and great grandfather to seven.

Don is preceded in death by his parents, Henry Sr. and Josephine Fonseca Tabash, and siblings, Henry Tabash, twin brother David Tabash, Lorraine Moniz, Joyce Medeiros, Josephine Brown, and Audrey Tracy. Don will be missed dearly and forever remembered as a loving father, grandfather, and great grandfather.

A celebration of life will be held in his honor on Saturday, September 02, 2023.

Published by Mercury News from August 4 to August

 6, 2023.

Tambone, Louis Joseph

Louis Joseph Tambone, age 89, Danbury, Connecticut, died of coronavirus on April 17, 2020.  He was born in Tuckahoe, New York, but lived most of his life in Danbury.  He was a coach and mentor to many bowlers and was inducted into the Greater Danbury USBC Hall of Fame in 1996.  He was an avid New York Yankees and Notre Dame football fan.  He served in the Army during the Korean War with the 330th Communications Reconnaissance Company.  He was employed by General Motors in Tarrytown, New York for 30 years, retiring in 1982.  He was survived by two brothers, Vincent and Joseph, and many nieces and nephews.

Tanner, Douglas Arnold

Douglas Arnold Tanner passed away at home in Gainesville, Florida on February 26,2006 of  heart failure.

Tanner, Marvin Everett

Marvin Everett Tanner, 89, transitioned to Heaven February 26, 2023, with his family at his side.

Marvin was born October 23, 1933 in Santa Monica, California, into a family with a legacy of blacksmiths and adventure seekers.  Marvin graduated from University High School, Los Angeles, Class of 1951. Following graduation, he attended Santa Monica City College, receiving an associates degree in Machining. Marvin was drafted into the Army during the Korean War, and served as a small arms mechanic at Fort Ord. While at Fort Ord, Marvin and Ina were married on September 5, 1954, at First United Methodist Church of Santa Monica. Marvin and Ina celebrated 68 years of marriage last September.

After serving in the Army, Marv attended Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, graduating with his Mechanical Engineering degree in 1959. Upon graduation, the Tanners moved to Schenectady, NY, where Marv worked as a nuclear engineer for General Electric, while also earning a Masters in Nuclear Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

While in New York, Marv and Ina enjoyed camping, square dancing, sailing at the Saratoga Lake Sailing Club, skiing at Hickory Hill, as well as several family trips to the many historical sites along the east coast and across the United States. Marv also enjoyed singing in church choirs and with the Burnt Hills Oratorio Society. Marv and Ina returned to California, settling in San Jose in 1977. In San Jose, Marv and Ina were very active their church, and both Square and Round Dancing with several clubs.

In retirement, Marv and Ina traveled with the Methodist Care-A-Vanners, helping with hands-on projects in various churches, and semi-annual trips to open and close the United Methodist Camp at Mount Shasta. They also worked with UMCOR, rebuilding homes after natural disasters across the United States and Nassau, Bahamas. Marv also volunteered with a local history club, The Argonauts, and for the New Almaden Quicksilver Mining Museum. Marv and Ina traveled the world, and went as far as they could go in their motor home. Marv was kind and generous to many and will be missed.

Marvin is predeceased by his parents, Orville P. Tanner and Mable Lewise (Lewis) Tanner. Surviving in addition to his wife, Ina (Carter) Tanner, are his son, Michael Tanner (Cheryl); daughters Loretta Tanner, and Julia Major (Joe); six grandchildren, Ross Tanner, Ryan Tanner, April Vassau, Jonathan Tanner, Christopher Major and Valerie Major; eleven great-grandchildren, Trey Tanner, Kalli Tanner, Sally Tanner, Tiffany Tanner, Paul Tanner, Josiah Tanner, Isaac Tanner, Levi Tanner, Norah Vassau, Evan Vassau and Astrid Petersen Major (due in May); his sister, Joanna (Tanner) Ballard; and numerous, nieces, nephews, and cousins.

A celebration of life and reception was held on Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 1:00 pm at Cambrian Methodist Church (1919 Gunston Way, San Jose, California). In lieu of flowers, the family asked for any donations to be made to New Almaden Quicksilver County Park Association (NAQCPA), PO Box 124, New Almaden, California 95042.

Taplett, Col. Bob

Colonel Bob Taplett of Arlington, VA died at 0700 17 December, 2004. A Funeral Mass will be held at the Old Post Chapel at Fort Meyer 31 January. Burial will follow at Arlington National Cemetery. He was CO of the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, and participated in the Pusan Perimeter, Inchon Landing, and Chosin Reservoir campaign in 1950.  Following is an article written by Joe Holley, Washington Post Staff Writer, that appeared in the Saturday, January 8, 2005 issue of that newspaper on page B06:

Decorated Marine Robert Taplett Dies

Robert D. Taplett, 86, a heavily decorated Marine colonel who led his 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, in the grueling strategic retreat at Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War, died Dec. 17 of congestive heart failure at the Powhatan Nursing Home in Falls Church.

A running battle during the winter months of 1950, in temperatures falling to 40 degrees below zero at night, the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir lasted three weeks, as U.S. and allied forces fought their way back to the sea in the face of relentless assaults from Chinese forces, who outnumbered them by more than 5 to 1. About 15,000 Marines and 3,000 Army troops took part in the battle.

"From Nov. 27 to Dec. 10, we were in almost constant combat," Col. Taplett told USA Today in 2000. "I don't think I slept two hours the whole time. You had to keep moving, or you'd freeze. I left Yudami-ni with roughly 1,300 men and got into Hagaru-ni (at the south end of the reservoir) with 326 effective Marines. Better than half our casualties were caused by weather." The severe frostbite he suffered caused Col. Taplett to have difficulties walking for the rest of his life.

A longtime Arlington resident, Robert Donald Taplett was born in Tyndall, S.D. He graduated with honors from the University of South Dakota in 1940. He was a member of the Army ROTC in college, but in 1940, the Marine Corps corralled Col. Taplett and a number of honor graduates across the country. He resigned his Army commission and became a Marine second lieutenant in 1940. He went through basic training at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

He loved being a Marine, his wife, Patricia Taplett, recalled. Dark-haired, 6 feet 2 inches tall, in his dress blues he seemed made for the Corps. "Some people called him a poor man's Gregory Peck," Mrs. Taplett said. "I always said he was a cross between Tyrone Power and Robert Taylor."

On Dec. 7, 1941, he was serving aboard the USS Salt Lake City at Pearl Harbor. The cruiser was escorting the carrier Enterprise, which had engine trouble and was just outside the harbor when the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor began. Unscathed, the Salt Lake City headed off in pursuit of the Japanese fleet. He was aboard the Salt Lake City for three years and participated in the major battles of the Pacific, including a decisive engagement in the Aleutian Islands in 1943, a battle that naval historian Samuel Eliot Morison called "the last heavy gunfire daylight action, with no interference by air power, submarines or torpedoes." In October 1944, the Salt Lake City provided fire support at Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

After the war, Col. Taplett served as commanding officer of the Navy supply barracks at Clearview, Utah, at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay and at the Naval Air Station in Alameda, Calif. He also served with the Headquarters Battalion, 1st Marine Division, at Camp Pendleton, Calif. He was dispatched to Korea in 1950. "From the time he came in with the brigade, from Pusan, up through Seoul, all the way to the Chosin Reservoir, just about every dirty job the 5th Marines had, he led the way," said fellow Marine Frank Metersky, a member of the Chosin Few, an organization of Marines who survived the Chosin retreat. "He, to me, is one of the finest officers in the history of the Marine Corps," said Metersky, co-chairman of the Korean War POW-MIA committee. Col. Taplett was awarded the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, the Legion of Merit and a Bronze Star.

After the Korean War, Col. Taplett spent several months traveling the country lecturing to military audiences on the importance of close-air support, a Marine concept perfected during World War II, and then became academic director of the Basic School at Quantico in 1951 and 1952. He was at Marine Corps headquarters from 1953 to 1956. From 1957 to 1959, he was based in Hawaii, although he spent most of his time training troops in Okinawa and the Philippines. He was sent back to Quantico in 1959, a member of the landing force development center. Unhappy that he wasn't working directly with troops, he retired in 1960 after 20 years of service.

In retirement, Col. Taplett and his family moved to Arlington, where he worked for several professional associations and then for the U.S. Postal Service, where his duties included teaching management techniques to supervisors. He retired in 1993.

He made two trips back to South Korea, the last in 1985, and while there expressed sympathy for the North Korean people. He remembered how they sheltered Marines during that unimaginably hard winter years earlier and how they shared whatever food they could spare.

He received his master's degree in human resource development from George Washington University, attending class at night, and wrote a combat memoir, "Dark Horse Six" (2003), the title alluding to his battalion's radio call, "Dark Horse." In Iraq today, the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines use the same call sign in his honor. He also collected donations for the Arlington charity SOME (So Others Might Eat), volunteered with the Women's National Symphony Decorators' Show House and was a monitor at the Kennedy Center Young People's Concerts.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, of Arlington; six children, Claire Taplett and Marty K. Taplett, both of Arlington, Christine McCarty of Charlottesville, Robert Howard Taplett of Purchase, N.Y., Martin Ross Taplett of Pinehurst, N.C., and Margo Barbara Taplett of Park City, Utah; a brother; and nine grandchildren.

A Taplett Tribute can be found at this website:

Tassey, George

Col. George Tassey, US Army (Retired), 92, died Thursday, November 29, 2012, at Riverview Nursing Home, under the care of Hospice Savannah, Inc.

George Tassey, a native Savannahian, graduated from Savannah Commercial High School in 1939. He earned a BA from North Georgia College and a Masters degree from Boston University. He was a graduate of the Infantry Advanced Officers Course and the Command and General Staff College.

He volunteered for military service in World War II, completed infantry basic and later attended the Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning where he was commissioned a Lieutenant of Infantry. He served in the Philippines during World War II, and was granted a Regular Army commission during the first Regular Army integration of selected AUS officers.

At the outset of the Korean War, he commanded an infantry company. As a company commander of the 23rd Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division, he shared the hardships and the victories of the regiment's valiant stand again four Chinese divisions at Chipyong-Ni in February of 1951.

Upon return to the United States he was assigned to the Ranger Department, the Infantry School, as training officer. He served a second tour in Korea in 1962, as Brigade Operations officer of the 1st Calvary Division; then as the Deputy Battle Group Commander of the 12th Calvary. His third combat duty was in 1969, in Vietnam as Deputy Senior Advisor to the 7th ARVN (South Vietnamese) Infantry Division in the Mekong Delta.

Other highlights of his military service: Commander of the US Army Mountain Ranger Camp, Dahlonega, Georgia; two tours in Germany as Infantry Battalion Operation and Training Officer; staff officer, United States Army European Command at Heidelberg; Deputy District Commander, North Wuerttemberg District; Post Commander of Patch Barracks, where the European Command Headquarters was located. His last duty assignment was as Senior Advisor to the Maneuver Training Command in Kentucky.

His awards include: the Silver Star medal; Legion of Merit (w/oak leaf); Air Medal (three), Bronze Star Medal; Army Commendation Medal w/cluster; Distinguished Unit Citation; Combat Infantryman Badge; and the ranger Tab. Foreign awards: The Philippine Liberation Medal and the Philippine Independence Medal; the Korean Presidential Unit Citation; Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry; Vietnamese Staff Service Medal.  He participated in five major campaigns in Korea (five battle stars). He was awarded two battle stars for his involvement in Vietnam.

Colonel Tassey retired from the US Army on March 1, 1975 after serving for thirty-two years. He was installed in the Infantry Officer Candidate's School Hall of Fame at Fort Banning, Georgia in 1979.  He was past president and member of the Lions Club of Savannah, member of the American Legion, the Retired officers Association, the Military Order of World Wars and a charter member of the World War II Memorial. Colonel Tassey is a member of St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church.

He was preceded in death by his wife, the former Dorothy Jackson of Fort Screven, Georgia; and is survived by his two children, George, Jr., and Cynthia Owen of Idaho; a brother, Harry Tassopoulos of Decatur, Georgia; numerous grandchildren and great grandchild; and several nephews and nieces and great nieces.

Trisagion Service: 7 p.m. Tuesday at Fairhaven Funeral Home, Hubert C. Baker with Father Vasile Mihai, officiating. Visitation: 6 - 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Hubert C . Baker Chapel. Funeral Services: 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church, with Father Vasile Mihai, officiating. Interment will follow in Hillcrest Abbey Memorial Park, with Military Honors.

Remembrances: St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church, 14 West Anderson Street, Savannah, Georgia 31401.

Tate, Richard Nelson

Richard N. Tate of Upland, California, passed away of natural causes at age 83 on April 12, 2012. He was the eldest son of Oscar Nelson & Adelaide A. Tate, born on October 13, 1928 in Hollywood, California.

Richard’s family was part of “Tate Cadillac” and “OraAddies” ladies apparel business in the Pomona Valley. Richard was raised in Pomona attending Emerson Jr. High, Pomona High School & Pomona Jr. College. He completed his education in 1946.

Richard entered the army in December 1950 and served six years with distinction as an Infantry Sergeant with the 3rd Infantry Division in the Korean War. His awards and decorations included the United Nations Service Medal, the Korean Service Medal with Three Bronze Battle Stars and the Combat Infantry/Medical Badge.

After his military service, he was employed by Rohr Industries, Inc. in Riverside, California as a Senior Analyst. He retired in 1992 after 33 years. Richard resided in the Claremont and Upland areas. He was a member of the American Legion & NRA. He had fond memories of growing up in the car culture of the 40′s, 50′s & 60′s with pictures of all of his cars. He loved horses and was an experienced equestrian in his younger years.

Richard is survived by a sister, Leita Joyce Tate, brother, Wallace James Tate, and extended family. Military services are pending at Riverside Memorial Cemetery.

Tedrow, Donald Ray

My wonderful husband, Donald Ray Tedrow, served on the front line in the Korean War.  He later went to Vietnam.  He died from Agent Orange on January 27, 2005--the saddest day of my life.

Posted at the request of Ruth Tedrow.

Tefft, William Winfred

Mr. Tefft was born December 01, 1934 and died of Covid on December 10, 2020.  He was a Korean War veteran from Johnstown, Pennsylvania.  His widow is Betty Tefft.

Tellelfsen, George Merle Jr.

George Merle Tellelfsen, Jr., 53, of Warrington, died Thursday morning, July 31, 1975 in a local hospital. 

Mr. Tellefsen was a native of Michigan and had resided in Warrington for the past 18 months.  He was a veteran of World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam War.  He served with the 85th Fighter Squadron of the 79th Fighter Group after World War II.  He was a member of the Lutheran church.

Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Agnes Tellefsen of Warrington; three sons, George M. Tellefsen III, Thomas C. Tellefsen of England and David M. Tellefsen of the Phillipines; a daughter, Mrs. Linda Lumpkin of Pensacola; his mother, Mrs. Vida Tellefsen of DeTour Village, Michigan; a brother, Thomas A. Tellefsen of Detroit, Michigan; three sisters, Mrs. Betty Ann Gouetz, Mrs. Patricia Walsh and Mrs. Barbara Van Ryshein, all of Detroit; and five grandchildren.

Funeral services in the Oak Lawn Funeral Home Chapel with Chaplain James E. Seim officiating.  Burial will be in the Barrancas National Cemetery with Oak Lawn Funeral Home directing.

Tetreault, William Joseph

William Joseph Tetreault, age 89, Hollywood, Florida, died in a Florida hospital on April 14, 2020 of coronavirus.  He was born September 21, 1930 in New Bedford, Massachusetts.  From 1951 to 1953 he served as a PFC in the U.S. Army.  He was a radioman who was fluent in Morse Code.  He also earned a parachute badge.  After the war he married Sally Ellen Miller in 1954 and they were parents of five children: Catherine Ellen Tetreault, Debbie Ann Tetreault Mann, William Brent Tetreault, Scott Allen Tetreault, and Jeanean Marie Tetreault Calcutti.  William and Sally had 14 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.  William was a pest control specialist that owned his own business.  He will be buried at a later date at South Florida National Cemetery, Lake Worth, Florida.

Thacker, Terrell Jr.

Terrell Thacker, Jr., 82, died Friday, November 1, 2013, at Signature Health Care Nursing Facility, Pikeville, Kentucky. He was born in Pike County, June 2, 1931, the son of the late Joel and Ella Fair Adkins Thacker.  He was a retired coal miner and proudly served this country in the United Sates Army.

Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Martha Ann Thacker.  Terrell is survived by four sons, Harold Thacker and Jimmy Thacker, both of Tennessee, and Roger Thacker and Lester Thacker, both of Raccoon; six daughters, Anna Mae Johnson of Raccoon, Brenda Gale Cantrell of Elkhorn City, Glenda Faye Coleman of Ohio, Wanda Sue Tackett of Betsy Layne, Bonnie Lou Hensley of Brushy and Debbie Thacker of Johns Creek; one brother, Jeffrey Thacker of North Carolina; and 20 grandchildren.

Funeral services were conducted at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, November 5, with Butch Thacker and Terry Thacker officiating. Entombment followed in the J.U. Thacker Mausoleum, Annie E. Young Cemetery, Pikeville with military services observed by Johns Creek DAV Chapter #166.

Thompson, Alvia Glenn

Alvia Glenn Thompson, 87, of Fredericksburg, Virginia, formerly of Troy, Illinois, passed away at his home Wednesday, January 12, 2022, losing his fight with Alzheimer's disease.
Mr. Thompson was born March 30, 1934 in Hayesville, North Carolina. Glenn enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1951, earning the rank of Master Sergeant and retired in 1977. Honorably discharged with many commendations as a Manpower specialist, he later served in the private sector for the USAF as a computer specialist for 20 years with distinction. In his spare time, he enjoyed traveling, gardening, music, and spending time with his yorkie, Willie.

Glenn is survived by his son, Mark and wife Ayisha Thompson of Merrill, Wisconsin; daughter Glenna Tate of Fredericksburg; grandson Brent Tate of Twentynine Palms, California; brother and sister-in-law James Ray and Margot Thompson of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and many beloved nieces and nephews.

He is preceded in death by his parents, Arthur G. and Eva J. Mason Thompson; wife Melvadine Wilkinson Thompson; siblings Kermit and Garland Thompson, Gwen Coleman, Anita Colucci, and Eva Sienkiewicz; and son Steven M. Thompson.

A service will be held on Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 11:00 A.M. at Lake View Memorial Gardens, Reiss Chapel, Fairview Heights, Illinois. Pastor Ron Habermehl will officiate.

Thompson, Lee Grant

Mr. Lee Grant Thompson, 84, passed away Thursday, November 29, 2012, at Abbott Terrace Health Center. He was the husband of Mrs. Florence (Thomas) Thompson of Waterbury.

Mr. Thompson was born July 25, 1928, in Laurens, South Carolina, a son of the late Albert and Bertha (Winfrey) Thompson. He was educated in the South Carolina public school system before moving to Waterbury, where he resided until his passing.

He served in the United States Army during the Korean War and four years in the Army Reserve. He was employed by Uniroyal for 33 years until his retirement in 1983. Mr. Thompson was an avid Mets fan, enjoyed playing the lottery, reading the newspaper and was a jokester. He loved his family, especially the great-grandchildren.

In addition to his wife of 58 years, he is survived by three daughters, Linda Lee (Benjamin) Rhodes, Alberta Thompson and Trena (Chris) Reeves, all of Waterbury; one son, Lee G. Thompson of Austin, Texas; nine grandchildren, Marc, BJ, Toya, Gregory, Lissa, Christopher, Manny, Michael and Jamel, all of Waterbury; five great-grandchildren, Zaria, Shya, Jurnee, Davion and Xavier, all of Waterbury; several nieces, nephews, cousins, extended family and friends. He was predeceased by one son, Larry Thompson, one grandson, Michael Henry Rhodes, five brothers and four sisters.

Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, at Chapel Memorial Funeral Home, 35-37 Grove St., Waterbury, with the Rev. Thomas Mallory officiating. Burial will be in New Pine Grove Cemetery with full military honors. Calling hour will be held 10 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. The family will receive friends at the funeral home from 10:30 a.m. until the time of service and at all other times at the home of his daughter, Linda Rhodes, at 111 Dikeman St., Waterbury.

Thompson, Tommy F.

Tommy F. Thompson died September 25, 2005. He was in the 1st Marine Division, 1st Battalion in Korea.  More information will follow as submitted.

Thompson, Wesley

Wesley Thompson, age 94, of Granite City, Illinois, passed away on Sunday, June 20, 2021 at Anderson Hospital in Maryville, Illinois.  Wesley was born on June 15, 1927 in Elco, Illinois, a son of the late Ben Thompson and Violet Alice Tucker Thompson.

Wesley was a World War II veteran who proudly served in the United States Navy.  After serving in the Navy, Wesley enlisted in the United States Army as a paratrooper, serving proudly in the Korean War.

On April 27, 1956, Wesley married Opal Marie Branch, the love of his life.  Opal passed away on February 24, 2016.  He was a member of Calvary Life Church in Granite City, Illinois.  He retired as a lead man from National Vendors in Bridgeton, Missouri, after many years of dedicated service.  He was an outdoorsman who enjoyed deer hunting and fishing.  Wesley was also a sports fan, and he never missed a hockey game that his grandson, Ryan, played in.  His greatest joy was spending time with his grandchildren, who were his greatest joys.  Wesley loved life, he loved to laugh, but most of all he loved his family.  He will be sadly missed by all who knew and loved him.

In addition to his parents, Wesley was preceded in death by one sister, Carolyn Sue Lee, and by four brothers, Billy, Jerry, Carl and Donald Thompson.  He is survived by his loving daughter, Brenda (Bob) Murray of Granite City; siblings, Wayne (Lois) Thompson and Carmen Williams; grandchildren, Melissa (Richard) Reader, Cari (Brian) Palmisano, Vicki (Russell) English, Carrie (Ed) Lemmon, Cindy (John) Grant and Bobbie (Karan) Murray; 13 great-grandchildren and one great-great granddaughter; many nieces, nephews, extended family and friends.

Wesley will be laid to rest next to Opal at Sunset Hill Memorial Estates in Glen Carbon, Illinois.  Memorial donations may be given to Calvary Life Church.

Thornton, James H.

James H. Thornton, 77, of Toledo, passed away Thursday, October 19, 2006, in his home. Born October 7, 1929, in Toledo to Francis "Pat" and Grace (Brown) Thornton, he graduated from Central Catholic High School in 1947. Jim was a sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps and served as a drill instructor from February, 1949 until he was honorably discharged in October, 1952. Jim was a member of the First Marine Division H-3-1 and served his country in the Korean War where he earned a Purple Heart. Jim was a member of the Catholic War Vets, Logsdon_Walla Post #639.

He worked as a tool and die maker first for the Electric Auto-Lite Company and then for the Champion Spark Plug Company where he worked for 32 years, retiring in February 1991. Jim was a devoted and loving husband and father. He spent many years coaching his kids and made it a point to never miss a game. He was a member of the Men's Club of Little Flower Parish where he was very active in volunteer work. He also volunteered his time as a ticket taker at St. John's Jesuit High School basketball games for many years while his sons attended.

Jim was preceded in death by his parents; sister, Rosemary Holliday and brother, Robert Thornton. He is survived by his loving wife of 53 years, Nancy J. (Gozdowski) Thornton; children, David and Julie (Jordan) and their children, Patrick and Ben; Kevin and his children, Karli (Josh) Woggon and Sam; Valerie and John Myers and their children, Jonathan, Jeremy and Justin; Mark and Christine (Samiec) and their children, Katie (fiance, Mike Evangelist), Betsy, Alex and Marcus; Paul and Sue (Creque) and their children, Andy and Chris; Mike and Micki (Jobuck) and their children, Andrea, Chelsea and Jenny; Connie and Darrel Limes and their children, Jenna and Jessica; great-granddaughter, Maggie Woggon; brother, Richard (Theresa) Thornton; sister-in-law, Roberta Thornton; brother-in-law, Charles "Sandy" Holliday of Crystal Springs, MS and many nieces and nephews.

Friends may call at the Thomas I. Wisniewski Funeral Home, 2456 North Reynolds Rd. (419-531-4424) from 1-8 p.m. Sunday, October 22, 2006. Scripture services will be at held at 4 p.m. and the Catholic War Vets Rosary will be recited at 8 p.m. The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Monday at 10 a.m. at Little Flower Catholic Church where friends will be received after 9 a.m. Burial, Resurrection Cemetery. Those wishing a memorial for Jim may consider Little Flower Church, Hospice of Northwest Ohio or an organization of their choice.

The family wishes to thank all the friends and neighbors who have been so supportive these last 13-1/2 years. A special thank you to Father Joe, Jane Paquette, the nurses from Caring Services and Hospice of Northwest Ohio, especially nurse, Diane Braker.  Dad, you will be missed!

Threet, James K.

James K. Threet, 90, of Savoy, Ilinois, passed away at 2:05 a.m., Saturday, January 30, 2021 at the Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, Illinois.  Private Graveside Services will be held at the Tuscola Township Cemetery, Tuscola. Jim was born on September 5, 1930 at Dundas, Illinois, a son of IC and Daryl (Curtis) Threet. He married Doris Wetzel on April 13, 1952 at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Tuscola.

He is survived by his loving wife: Doris “Dot” of 68+ years of marriage, son: Mike (Jotta) Threet of Savoy, brother: Jack C. Threet of Houston, Texas, and sister: Sue (Buddy) Petrea of Salisbury, North Carolina. Jim was preceded in death by his parents, dear son: Tom, and older brother: Dick Threet.

He graduated from Champaign High School in 1948 and attended the University of Illinois majoring in Journalism before being called to serve in the United States Marine Corps in 1951 during the Korean War. He was editor of the base newspaper at Barstow, California, before his discharge in 1953.

Jim was employed at USI/Quantum Chemicals plant near Tuscola for 33 years (1953-1986) as a quality control lab supervisor, retiring in 1986.  He and his wife, Doris, were members of the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Tuscola and they were also members of the Grace Lutheran Church in Winter Haven, Florida. He and Doris are currently members of the St. John Lutheran Church, Champaign.

Jim’s interests included playing golf, fishing in Minnesota, and hunting Indian arrowheads along the river west of Tuscola with his wife and sons. He enjoyed watching all sports on television and was an avid St. Louis Cardinals fan.

Memorials may be given to Immanuel Lutheran Church, St. John Lutheran Church or St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Thyng, Harrison R.

Brigadier General Harry Thyng died on September 24, 1983.  He was one of only seven Americans to become an ace in two wars, and was a Silver Star recipient during the Korean War (his third Silver Star).

Harry Thyng was born on April 12, 1918, in Laconia, New Hampshire.  He was commissioned  a 2nd Lieutenant of infantry in the United States Army Reserve through the Army ROTC program at the University of New Hampshire on May 27, 1939, and entered the Aviation Cadet Program of the U.S. Army Air Corps on June 27, 1939  Lieutenant Thyng was awarded his pilot wings at Kelly Field, Texas, on March 24, 1940, and then served with the 94th Pursuit Squadron of the 1st Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Michigan, from March to October 1940.  Lieutenant Thyng next served with the 41st Pursuit Squadron of the 31st Pursuit Group, first at Selfridge Field and later at Baer Field, Indiana, from October 1940 to January 1942.

He then became the first commander of the 309th Fighter Squadron under the 31st Fighter Group, moving with the group to New Orleans, Louisiana, in February 1942, and then deployed to England in June 1942, flying British Spitfires.

Major Thyng led the first American fighter raids out of England during this time, and commanded the 309th through the North Africa invasion in November 1942, until returning to the U.S. in May 1943.  He was credited with the destruction of five enemy aircraft in aerial combat plus two probables and three damaged between August 1942 and May 1943.  After recovering from injuries he received in North Africa, Colonel Thyng completed P-47 Thunderbolt training and then took command of the 413th Fighter Group at Bluethenthal Field, North Carolina, in November 1944.

He moved with the group to le Shima in June 1945, and was credited with another probable air victory before returning to the U.S. in October 1945.  During this time he flew on the long-range escort mission of the B-29 Boxcar on the second atomic bombing mission against Nagasaki, Japan, on August 9, 1945.  After the war, Colonel Thyng transitioned into the P-80 Shooting Star jet fighter and served as a jet fighter instructor for the Air National Guard from September 1947 to November 1951.

He was commander of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing in Korea from November 1951 to October 1952, during which time he was credited with the destruction of five enemy aircraft in aerial combat plus four damaged, for a two-war total of ten destroyed in the air, three probables, and seven damaged.  He shot down most of his "damaged" aircraft, but had a practice of giving victories to his wingmen who protected him in combat.

After Korea, Colonel Thyng served as Deputy for Operations with Headquarters, Western Air Defense Force, at Hamilton AFB, California, from December 1952 to June 1954, and then commander of the 4702nd Defense Wing at Geiger Field, Washington, from Jne to October 1954.  His next assignment was as commander and vice commander of the 9th Air division at Geiger Field from October 1954 to July 1957.

Colonel Thyng attended National War College from July 1957 to July 1958, and then served with Headquarters U.S. Air Force in the Pentagon until January 1959.  He next served with the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington, D.C., from January 1959 to October 1960, followed by service as commander of the Duluth Air Defense Sector at Duluth Municipal Airport, Minnesota, from October 1960 to July 1963.

General Thyng was vice commander of the Northern NORAD Region at RCAF North Bay in Ontario, Canada, from July 1963 to January 1966 until his retirement from the Air Force on April 1, 1966.  After retiring from the Air Force, Harry ran for the U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, but lost to the incumbent candidate.  He also founded the New England Aeronautical Institute which later merged with Daniel Webster Junior College and became Daniel Webster College in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Tieman, Stanley "Spud"

Stanley E. "Spud" Tieman, 81, of Ivesdale, Illinois, passed away at 9:25 p.m. Thursday (Oct. 27, 2011) at his residence in Ivesdale.  Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 2, 2011, at Roux-Hinds Funeral Home, 348 N. Piatt St., Bement. The Rev. Larry Hallman will officiate. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, November 1, also at the funeral home. Burial will be in the Hammond Cemetery, Hammond. Military graveside rites will be given by the Albert Parker American Legion Post 620, Bement.

Spud was born on July 20, 1930, in Sadorus, Illinois, a son of William H. and Essie P. Dehart Tieman. He married Phyllis Shumard on June 29, 1958, in Bement and later renewed their vows on July 25, 2010, in Ivesdale.

Surviving are three sons, Harry O. (Angie) Binion of Atwood, Trent W. Tieman of Russell Springs, Ky., and Ted (Debra) Tieman of Bement; and two daughters, Teal (Larry) Dalton of Tolono and Trea Carver of Glasgow, Ky. Also surviving are 12 grandchildren, Ben Binion and Dawna Binion, Erin (Jason) Williams, Jake Jordan, Bernie Ganley, Rachel Madden, Jacque (Matt) Clemmons, Tara Zook, Dawson Tieman, Tyler Tieman, Megan Tieman and Brittany Tieman, 10 great-grandchildren, four step-grandchildren; and five step-great-grandchildren. Other survivors include a brother, Louie (Wilma) Tieman of Bement; and two sisters, Bernadine Hamilton and Mary Ellen (Rocky) Brashear, both of Houston, Texas. He was preceded in death by his parents, one great-grandson, Chase Carver; three brothers and one sister.

Spud was a Army veteran of the Korean War and he retired from the State of Illinois Highway Department. He was a 60-year member of the Albert Parker American Legion Post 620, and he was the last survivor of the first honor guard firing squad. His hobbies included landscaping and he loved to build model airplanes and large doll houses. He enjoyed spending time with family and friends and most loved the time he spent with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Memorial contributions can be made to the Albert Parker American Legion Post 620 or the Ronald McDonald House in Louisville, Ky.

Tilk, Henry Joseph "Joe"

On the afternoon of April 29, 2023, Henry Joseph “Joe” Tilk of Belleville, Illinois passed away peacefully at the of age of 89.

Joe was born in Fredericktown, Missouri in 1934 to Henry and Audrey (Dollinger) Tilk, the first of four children. The family moved to East St. Louis, Illinois, where Joe attended St. Patrick grade school and Central Catholic High School. Joe was a champion boxer for Central Catholic before graduating in 1952.

He joined the US Army and served his country as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne and 187th Airborne for two years in Asia at the tail end of the Korean conflict. He was extremely proud of his service as a Rakkasan. In spring 1954, he was one of thousands of US paratroopers sequestered on aircraft on a tarmac in Japan for several days waiting to be dropped into Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam, a plan fortunately that was never implemented. He was honorably discharged and returned to East St. Louis, where he took a job at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis, where he would work as a Lab Technician in the Tower Lab for the next 35 years at the company he loved.

He married Judith Brokaw in 1959 and the couple had four children, Rebecca, Monica, Gerald, and Jennifer, settling in Belleville. To support the growing family he took on a second job with Costello Ushering Service, eventually assuming a position as senior manager overseeing personnel at Fairmount Park Race Track. His first marriage ended in divorce at two decades. Joe later remarried to Phyllis Swan, a union that produced Virginia and Joseph Jr. Later in life Joe was highly active in the community, at VFW Post 8677 and Elks Lodge 664 in Fairview Heights, and he was particularly active at the Knights of Columbus Council 592, where he served as the Grand Knight from 1998-2000, and 4th Degree member of Council 208 in East St. Louis.

Joe was well-traveled, recalling fondly his time in Asia, and he visited all corners of the US and took several trips to Europe. Joe had an easy and warm personality and was loved deeply by his family and friends. He maintained a wide circle of friends throughout his life, kept contact with friends going back to childhood, and easily made new close friends very late in life. He deeply loved his six children and 12 grandchildren, doting on them and proudly boasting to everyone their latest achievements. He was a proud father and grandfather, brother, and uncle to a much larger family, all of whom he dearly loved.

Joe is preceded in death by his parents, Henry and Audrey Tilk; brother, Richard Tilk; sister, Donna (Tilk) Kelly; wife, Judith Tilk; wife, Phyllis Tilk; granddaughter, Adrienne Zaiter.

Joe is survived by his daughters: Rebecca (Roger) Morrison, Monica (Peter) Del Giudice, Jennifer (Gil) Truesdale, and Ginny (Todd) Banta; sons: Gerald (Inga) Tilk and Joseph Tilk; grandchildren: Ali, Dustin, Devlin, Tanner, Taylor, Roland, Heidi, Henry, Preston, Caroline, and Hannah; and sister Susie Mueller.

Memorials may be made to the Wounded Warriors. A Memorial Gathering will be held at 4:00 – 8:00 pm, Tuesday, May 30th, 2023 with a Celebration of Life, honoring Joe’s life at 7:00 pm at the Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights, Illinois 62208. A private burial will be held at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, in St. Louis, Missouri.

Tims, Robert E. Jr.

Robert E. Tims, Jr., 75, Safety Harbor, Florida, entered into rest Thursday, February 21, 2008, at his home. A graveside military memorial service will be held on Thursday, March 6, 2008 at two o’clock, at Sylvan Abbey’s Memorial Park in the Garden of Honor, Safety Harbor, FL. Senior Paster Eric Bargerhuff, Ph.D., of Clearwater Community Church will officiate. An Honor Guard detail will consist of members from the Florida Suncoast Korean War Veterans Chapter 14, who will perform a three-volley salute, the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of “Taps.” The Sylvan Abbey Funeral Director is in charge of arrangements.

Robert E. Tims, Jr. was born December. 15, 1932, to Robert E. and Marion S. Tims in Camden, NJ. He had an older sister, Elva May, and two younger siblings, David Joel and Phyllis Ann. The family owned the Tims-Cinnaminson House Restaurant on Route 130 where Robert worked as a young boy. He graduated from Palmyra High School in 1950 and proposed to his high school sweetheart, Wanda Bruce Wright, in 1952. Following his graduation he was drafted into the U.S. Army Infantry. He was stationed at Camp Kilmore, NJ and received training at Indian Town Gap, Pa and Breckenridge, KY (101st Airborne), then was sent to serve in Korea from March 1953 to December 1954. He proudly and bravely served in the 26th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, 24th Infantry Division in the Punch Bowl, handling half-track mounted quad .50 caliber machine guns. He also served in Masan and Sang-dong. He was honorably discharged from the service as Corporal 1st Class in February 1955.

When he returned home, he resumed working as Produce Manager for American Stores in Morristown, NJ. He married Wanda Wright on March 2, 1955, and they celebrated 52 years of marriage. Robert worked for Jay Whitman and Sons doing heating and air conditioning installation and eventually became a self-employed contractor in the 1960’s. He personally built their dream home.  He also held managerial positions for Sears and Roebuck until moving his family to Clearwater, Florida in 1980. He retired from the City of Dunedin after 14 years of service in 1998.

Robert enjoyed camping with is family, fishing with his best friend, Harry Wenger, a World War II veteran, and going on numerous trips with his wife through the years. He also enjoyed celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas with his family, cooking, and shopping at Super Wal-Mart.

He is survived by his wife Wanda of Safety Harbor; three daughters, LuAnn Streebel and her husband James, Virginia Johnson and her husband William, Sara Ann and her husband Francis; two sons, Robert E. Tims III and Thomas Arthur and his wife Victoria; six grandchildren Tracey Lynn and her husband Josh Willey, Kelly Ann and her husband Greg Kamprath, Zachary Thomas and Logan Gregory Tims, and Joseph Anthony and Carly Ana Matera; three great-grandchildren; Shy, Moni and Bryce Willey. He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters.

Toce, Rocco Anthony Jr.

Rocco Anthony Toce, Jr., life-long resident of East Hartford passed into the arms of his Heavenly Father on April 19, 2020 at Hartford Hospital of COVID-19 complications. Born on September 18, 1932, in East Hartford, he was the proud son of the late Rocco and Susan (Cavallo) Toce. After attending East Hartford Schools, Rocco enlisted in the United States Army on September 20, 1949. He earned the rank of Corporal fighting proudly during the Korean War with the 2nd division, 23rd infantry. After being honorably discharged, he married the love of his life Joyce (Blinn) Toce, in 1952. Sadly, Joyce passed away on July 11, 1978 after 26 years of marriage. Rocco began an over 30-year career with the Town of East Hartford, retiring as foreman of the Street Department in 1992. Rocco would tell you that the utmost joy in life was his family, his greatest treasure and gift. He loved his family well, with compassion, steadfast strength and a wonderful sense of adventure and humor. Rocco possessed an uncanny ability to make everyone he met feel special. He leaves a legacy of incredible kindness and memories to keep us laughing until we see him again. Rocco was predeceased in 1956 by a 3-month old daughter, Karen A. Toce, and in 2010, his daughter, Joy A McLaughlin of Phoenix, Arizona. He so valued his visits with Joy, sitting poolside, relaxing together. Rocco was also predeceased by his brothers, Gerald Anthony and John Toce; sisters, Elaine Plungy, Annemarie Whitaker, Rosemary Hiltgen and Carmela Levere. Left to cherish his memory are his brother, Ronald Toce, (Kay), whom he loved playing "Setback" with every Sunday night; sisters, Teresa Brown (Robert) and Carol Kelly (Jimmy) all of East Hartford, and another brother Daniel Toce of Bristol. Remaining to carry on his legacy are his children; namesake, son, Rocco A. Toce, III and his wife Cheryl of Amelia Island, FL. Dad so enjoyed his many trips to the Island where he made many special friends. When travel was not possible numerous calls by phone kept father and son in consent contact and never apart no matter the miles. His eldest daughter, Asunda DiDomenico of Berlin was his favorite cook and often visited her for amazing Italian meals and hours of conversation. Rocco lived with his son, Dino and his wife Joann in East Hartford for the past ten years, playfully referring to them as "Mom and Dad". He loved playing cards with Joann while Dino repeatedly rearranged the furniture to ensure that his Dad would be comfortable and well cared for. Rocco's youngest daughter, Paula Liappes and her husband Gus of Andover rounded out the cherished group. Father and daughter lunches were a cherished event, especially if he could persuade her to go to Augie's and Ray's for much coveted Chili Dogs. Rocco also leaves behind his much-loved ten grandchildren and twelve great grandchildren, all shared a special connection with their beloved Gramps or GG, each his pride and joy and all have special memories to hold in their hearts forever. On behalf of our Father, we would like to send a heartfelt tank you to all the staff at the Hartford Hospital who compassionately cared for our Dad. He appreciated all of you so very much, as do we. Due to the current health crisis, a private service with military honors will be held at the convenience of the family. Memorial donations in Rocco's name may be made to Hartford Health Care Hospice, 1290 Silas Deane Highway, Wethersfield, CT 06109 or Hartford HealthCare, COVID-19 Fund, 80 Seymour St., P.O. Box 5037, Hartford, CT 06102-5037. The D'Esopo-East Hartford Memorial Chapel, 30 Carter Street, East Hartford has been entrusted with the care of the funeral arrangements.

Toenjes, Floyd "Flip" P.

Floyd "Flip" P. Toenjes, 92, of Belleville, Illinois, passed away on Friday, June 4, 2021 at Oak Hill Nursing Center in Waterloo, Illinois, surrounded by his loving family.  Flip was born on March 06, 1929 in Waterloo, to George and Alma Eichelmann Toenjes and they preceded him in death.

Flip lived a long life of dedicated service-first, proudly serving his country in the Korean War in the U.S. Army, and later working for forty-six years as a truck driver for Vangenhen and Sons Trucking Company.  Flip was a long-time member of St. Peter's Cathedral in Belleville, Illinois, the Millstadt VFW Post 7980, the Teamster's Local 50 and the American Legion.

Flip retired in 1991.  During his retirement he continued doing what he loved most--spending time with family and friends and making new friends with a bump of the fist.  He was famous for his fist bumps.  Flip loved the St. Louis Cardinals, the annual family vacations to Branson and playing cards, especially poker and spades.  Flip was a grill master extraordinaire, known for his barbeque pork steaks and smashed barbeque.  But his true love was his wife Eulene, his children and grandchildren.  His legacies will be his strength, his patience, his compassion, his positive attitude, his resilience, his sense of humor and his kindness to everyone he encountered.  This world was a better place because Flip Toenjes was a part of it.

In addition to his parents, Flip was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 62 years, Eulene Brunson Toenjes, whom he married on December 15, 1956 in Hernando, Mississippi; his brothers: Robert (Delores) Toenjes, Wilbur "Whip" (Eileen) Toenjes, George "Dick" (Luella) Toenjes, Donald "Knuckles" (Luann) Toenjes; and an infant sister, Marlene Toenjes.

Flip is survived by his brother Glenn "Gis" (Joyce) Toenjes; his dear children: Gary (Patty) Ping of Pensacola, Florida, Betty (John) Deckard of Belleville, Illinois; Gloria (Jerry) Behrmann of Waterloo, Darrell (Bruce Kahn) Toenjes of Chicago, Illinois, David Toenjes of Belleville, and Daniel (Lynette) Toenjes of Millstadt; his dear grandchildren: Stacey (Eric) Beardsley of St. Augustine, Florida, Jamie (Ashlynn) Ping of Panama City, Florida, Amy (John) Blankenship of Keysport, Illinois, Jenny (Sherman) Voegtle of Belleville, Penny Mitchell of Belleville, Kevin (Michelle) Deckard of Smithton, Illinois, Dawn Hoffmeister of Belleville, Pamela (Michael) Hausmann of Belleville, Jordan Deckard of Cambridge, Massachusetts, Alex Toenjes of Carbondale, Illinois, Adam Toenjes of Boca Raton, Florida, Celia Toenjes of Belleville, Elliot Toenjes of Millstadt, Carly Toenjes of Columbia, Illinois, and Ethan Toenjes of Chicago; eighteen great-grandchildren; eight great-great grandchildren; and Kara Savio, who was like a daughter to Flip and the late Eulene.

Flip was laid to rest next to his dear wife Eulene at Mt. Evergreen Cemetery, Millstadt.  In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be directed to Cambridge House of Swansea, Illinois, or Oak Hill Nursing Center in Waterloo.

Tognoli, Thomas Rudolph (Tom)

Thomas Rudolph (Tom) Tognoli, of Sunnyvale, California, passed away peacefully at home on May 6, 2023, at the age of 90.  Born on October 1, 1932, Tom was the third born of four children to parents Thomas and Lena Tognoli. Tom was raised with his siblings Pat, Mario and Rose in San Mateo, California, where he graduated from San Mateo High School in 1951 and began a job with Pacific Bell Telephone Company shortly thereafter. Tom went on to serve in the US Army during the Korean War, where he worked on operations moving ammunition and weaponry by train.  After returning from his Army service, Tom spent his entire career with the telephone company.

Shortly after returning to California, Tom was introduced to the woman who became his wife of nearly 67 years, Shirley Hendrickson. Tom and Shirley were married on June 24, 1956. They have three children (Leslie, Tom and Laura) and went on to purchase their home in Sunnyvale, California, where Shirley still resides today.

Tom enjoyed woodworking and other hands-on projects, tending to his immaculate yard and tomato garden, and keeping an eye on his large family who all reside in the area. He could be counted on to be the first to arrive at family gatherings, the grandkids' baseball games, dance recitals and Special Olympics tournaments. When someone needed help or advice, he was always the first to be called. He loved dogs and was everyone's preferred dog sitter, and could be counted on to share treats with his beloved Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Dolce. When you needed him, he could be found putting on the family room rug or watching golf from his favorite chair.

Tom was preceded in death by his parents, Thomas and Lena, and eldest siblings Pat and Mario. He is survived by his devoted wife, Shirley, sister Rose Tantilla, daughter Leslie Francavilla (Matt), son Tom Tognoli (Lynn), daughter Laura Tognoli, grandchildren Megan (Glen), Mathew, Tommy, Nick and his great granddaughter Morgan.

Friends and family are invited to attend a Funeral Mass on Thursday, June 1 at 11:00 AM at Church of the Resurrection (725 Cascade Drive, Sunnyvale, California, 94087).In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in Tom's name to the Special Olympics of Northern California (

Published by Mercury News from May 23 to May 28, 2023.

Tolen, Delbert Franklin

Delbert F. Tolen died in Grand Junction on June 25, 2004.  He was born October 20, 1930 to Elmer Tolen and Minnie Etta Klohne Tolen in Peru, Indiana, where he grew up.  Delbert moved to Montezuma, Colorado in 1948, where he worked at Climax and other smaller mines, and he considered Colorado home from then on.

He joined the Army in 1951 and served in the Korean War in Company A of the 5th Regimental Combat Team.  On May 02, 1953, he was wounded in the right arm by Chinese Communist (CCF) actions.  He continued to serve as an Infantry Platoon Leader until May 28, 1953 when he was appointed Executive Officer, Company A, 5th RCT.  He received both the Purple Heart and Silver Star while serving at Outpost Harry.

During the defense of Outpost Harry by Company A, Lieutenant Tolen was responsible for leading the counter attack platoon up the trenches to repel the enemy in the event the CCF breached the main fortifications.  The outpost's restricted size provided positions for only two plus infantry platoons.  Lieutenant Tolen organized the remaining members of the company at a medical bunker located at the bottom of the outpost.  In the early morning of June 13, 1953, Lieutenant Tolen received word that the situation on the outpost was critical.  He organized his men into assault groups and led tem through devastating mortar, artillery and small arms fire.  He engaged the enemy in hand-to-hand combat.  Lieutenant Tolen succeeded in leading his men and repulsed the attacking enemy forces.

After being discharged he returned to Colorado where he met and married Alice Mae Berg in 1954.  He graduated from the Colorado School of Mines in 1957 with a professional degree in Petroleum Refining Engineering.  He worked at various refineries throughout his career in Colorado and other states.  Delbert and Alice returned to Colorado where they lived in Golden and finally settled in Grand Junction. 

Delbert was a member of the Breckenridge Masons Lodge #47, the Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association, and the Elks Lodge.  He had a lifelong love of the outdoors and the Colorado mountains, and an abiding interest in mining and geology.  He also had a love of history, particularly of the Civil War.  He loved to read and he thought deeply on many things and loved vigorous discussion.

Delbert is survived by his wife Alice Mae; five sons and their wives, David and Lee of Aspen, Peter and Chris of Castle Rock, Stuart and Stephanie of Olathe, Edward and Tracey of Fruita, and Malcolm and Cathy of Golden; two brothers, Wayne and Leon; a sister Vivian Stanton; 13 grandchildren and two great grandchildren.  Delbert was preceded in death by his parents, a brother Jim Tolen and a sister Miriam Tolen Townsend.

Among his awards are the CIB, Silver Star, Purple Heart, Korean Service Medal with two Bronze Service Stars, United Nations Service Medal and the National Defense Medal.  He was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation.  He was also awarded the Parachute Badge and the Republic of Korea Wharang Distinguished Military Service Medal.  Del Tolen was awarded the National Infantry Association Order of St. Maurice in June 2002.

Toliver, Patrick

I am writing in to say that my Grandfather Patrick Toliver of the Company M 7th Regt 3rd who served in Korea, and lost his legs in combat on March 31, 1950. Passed away in April of 1998. I have currently have viewed some of his military records. I know that when he lost his legs, he was a CPL and his number was RA 15232567. His mos, I believe was Mos-005. He was taken to the Tokyo Army Hospital near Wongpong, Korea. Any information you might have or pictures, would be greatly appreciated. He was a very dear man, and many of us miss him so. Contact: Pat's oldest granddaughter,

Touchette, Louis

Louis E. Touchette, 90, of Belleville, Illinois, born February 13, 1932, in Centreville, Illinois, died Wednesday, May 11, 2022, at Memorial Hospital, Belleville.

As a youth, Louis worked for Kroger. He joined the United States Navy and served from July 1950 to August 1954. On returning home, he worked for Union Electric (Ameren) and retired in May 1990 after 37 years of service. Louis loved to fish, hunt, and visit his clubhouse.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Louis and Wilhelmina, nee Schmiz, Touchette; his first wife, Roberta, nee Reid, Touchette; seven brothers, Charles (Vaneta) Touchette, Ernest (Jean) Touchette, Vernon (Mary) Touchette, Cyril (Mary) Touchette, Aloysius (Teresa) Touchette, Milton (Dorothy) Touchette, and Albert (Lynn) Touchette; five sisters, Bernadette (Nolan) Cheatham, Albertine (Bernard) Holdener, Marcella (Joseph) Weir, Agnes Lingnol, and Maxine (Mickey) Loucks; a son-in-law, Allen Baum; and three brothers-in-law, Ralph and Dale Schwaegel and Theodore Vosholler.

Surviving are his wife of 45 years, Rosella “Happy” Dahm/Touchette, nee Schwaegel; two daughters, Denise (Billy) Thompson of Plymouth, Massachusetts, and Cheryl (Kent) Walker of Salem, Oregon; three stepchildren, Bill Dahm of Shiloh, Illinois, Bob (Sue) Dahm of Belleville, and Sue Baum of Okawville, Illinois; a grandson, Louis Walker of Salem, Oregon; five step grandchildren, Kendra Dahm of Shiloh, Nathan, Nick, and Emily Dahm of Belleville, and Hannah (fiancé Derek Wafler) Baum of Carlyle, Illinois; three sisters-in-law, Norma Mueller of Waterloo, Illinois, Connie Schwaegel of Belleville, and Joann Vosholler of New Baden, Illinois; and many nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Randy’s Rescue Ranch (O’Fallon, Illinois) or the USO (St. Louis, Missouri). Funeral services will be held at 7 p.m. Sunday, May 15, 2022, at George Renner & Sons Funeral Home, Belleville, with Deacon Corby Valentine officiating. Private burial will be at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.

Trachtenberg, Samuel L. "Sam"

Samuel L. Trachtenberg, 86, of Greenwich, Connecticut, passed away on April 20, 2020 due to complications from Covid-19. Sam was smart, kind, talented and wickedly funny.
Sam is survived by his wife, Alice McAtee of Greenwich, enjoying 32 very happy and devoted years; his daughters, Susan (Mario) Paula of Queens, New York, Mindy (Donald) Miles of Merritt Island, Florida and Ilene (Timothy) Grimes of Marietta, Georgia; grandchildren, Katie Miles, Sarah (Charles) Grounds, Jack, Aidan and William Grimes and Hillary Paula; great-grandchildren Kalea Priester, Kayden and Charlie Grounds; nephew Alan (Shira) Honigstein.
Sam was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1934. At 6 years old, he both went to school and worked to help support his family after his father passed away. He learned to play the drums and was a prominent drummer in a band. Sam also ran errands for Bugsy Siegel, earning $.25 per errand, a lot of money back then. Sam proudly served his country as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army during the Korean War. An entrepreneur, Sam purchased a taxi medallion and owned his own cab in the 1960's and 1970's in New York, an interesting time to be a taxi driver. Sam loved to strike up conversations with his riders, including many famous and influential people such as Rocky Graziano, Mohammad Ali, Walter Cronkite, Mike Wallace, Howard Cosell and Dennis Weaver, just to name a few. In 1973, Sam relocated with his family to Old Greenwich, CT to become co-owner of beloved general merchandise store Cuff's, in the heart of the village. In addition to building a strong connection with the community as a small business owner, Sam was a father figure and role model to the many teenagers who worked for him at Cuff's, becoming known lovingly as Mr. T.  Never one to waste a minute of his time, Sam joined the Greenwich Police Department in the Special Officers Division, spending many hours on patrol when he wasn't at the store. He was the recipient of several police service commendations over many dedicated years of service, including the special police Exceptional Service Award.
Sam was very community oriented and enjoyed being of service, so after selling Cuff's in the late 1980's, Sam became a Vocational Counselor, helping people with mental illness acquire employment. In his later years, he volunteered for several organizations in Greenwich and Stamford, including Greenwich Hospital where he always brought a smile to the patients' faces. Sam had many creative talents, though known mostly to his family. He never took an art class, yet he was a talented artist who could sketch, paint, and sculpt. He also had a beautiful singing voice and wrote a song or two. Sam loved history and traveled all over the world, but his greatest past time was ship modeling. Sam was an avid model ship builder, well known in that community all across the country. He was always happy to donate his time, giving advice to other builders or fixing their ships that were in disrepair, requiring a special talent not known to many. His greatest joy was spending time with his family. He was fiercely proud of his daughters and took great joy in teasing his sons-in-law, all in good humor. He especially loved taking his grandchildren to the local hobby shop to share his love of any and all creative interests. His loss is deeply felt by his family and he will be sorely missed. A memorial service will be held later this summer, date to be determined. On behalf of his family, they would like to extend a heartfelt "thank you" to the doctors and nurses at Greenwich Hospital for their kindness and for standing by him as his family was not able to physically be with him due to the virus.

Trefren, George

Our beloved George Franklyn Trefren was born on September 14, 1930 in Cheyenne, Wyoming and passed April 12, 2020 (Easter Day) in Commerce City, Colorado. He died of complications from coronavirus.  George was raised in Hillsdale, Wyoming where he completed his schooling through the 8th grade. Then he helped on the farm ranching cows, goats, pigs and horses.  Also, growing crops of potatoes, wheat and corn.  In 1951 at 21 years old, George was drafted into the Army where he served in Japan in the 343rd General Hospital as a medic. When returning September of 1953, George met the love of his life Janice Elaine Walgren and they married December 27th 1953. They had four children - Doyle, Teresa (Terry), Roger and Tracy. George started his own construction business to support his family. George is preceded in death by his parents Charles Nelson Trefren and Myrtle Helen Thorne. Also siblings Ruth, Stella, Bill, Ray, Dick, Blanche, Bernice, Jack, Jimmy and Archie. Also wife, Janice Elaine Trefren, son Doyle Clay Trefren and grandson Joseph Charles Dougherty Jr. He is survived by his Children: (Lynn Trefren), Teresa (Joe) Dougherty, Roger Trefren and Tracy (Brian) Torpy. Grand Children: Sherri, Denise, Steven, Jennifer, Crystal, Tyler, Madison and Cooper. Great Grand Children: Anthony, Shayla, Isaiah, Josh, Isabel, Willy, Preston, Brynnley, Joseph III, Brandon, Jonah, Sammy, Leah Mae, Park, Airiana, Airica and Nick. Great Great Grand Children: Isaiah Jr., Kenneth, John V, Thomas, Nevaeh and Exaveon. Due to Covid 19 complications, services with Full Miltiary Honors will be held at a later date.

Triantafel, Steve G.

Steve G. Triantafel,  a/k/a Steve G. Trent, veteran US Army Korean War, recipient of the Silver Star, passed away on Friday, June 14, 2006. He died peacefully at his home in Illinois.  His obituary follows:

Steve G. ''Trent'' Triantafel, Veteran US Army Korean War, Recipient of the Silver Star. Beloved husband of the late Candice, nee Kerbs; loving father of Lauren (Vicken) Alexanian; devoted son of the late George and Martha Triantafel; proud grandfather of Andrew and Ashley Alexanian; dear brother of Anita Chakos; fond uncle of Michael (Katherine) Chakos; great-uncle of Ainsley and Leland Chakos. Commander of Hellenic Post #343 American Legion and a member of AHEPA Northwestern Chapter #388 and past Supreme Governor Order of AHEPA. Visitation Monday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Smith-Corcoran Funeral Home, 6150 N. Cicero Ave. Family and friends will meet Tuesday morning at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church 2727 W. Winona St. Chicago for funeral service at 10:30 a.m. Interment Elmwood Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Hellenic Post #343 Veterans Memorial Monument Fund 5765 N. Lincoln Ave. Chicago, IL 60659-4730 appreciated. Arrangements by John G. Adinamis Funeral Director, Ltd. 773-736-3833.

Published in the Chicago Tribune on 7/16/2006.

True, James Edward

James Edward True, age 89, of O'Fallon, Illinois, born January 24, 1932 in Decatur, Illinois, the only child of Willard Edward and Mary Agnes Ryan True, passed away December 21, 2021, due to complications from heart valve surgery at St. Louis University Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri.  He was preceded in death by his parents.

Edward grew up in Peoria, Illinois, a member of First Christian Church and of DeMolay International.  Growing up, he was very active in numerous sports.  He attended Peoria Manual High School, where he excelled in academics and athletics.  He began his life of service in high school, joining Fellowship of Christian Athletes.  He was awarded a basketball scholarship to Bradley University where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in General Business.  He later earned two Master of Science degrees from USC in Education and Systems Management.

Ed began his active duty in the US Air Force as a Second Lieutenant after completing the ROTC program at Bradley. He was a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam Wars and retired after 21 years at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Ed held numerous positions following his Air Force career. He spent 11 years as President of Money Matic Corporation where he introduced the electronic funds point-of-sale system to the St. Louis area. He served as the President of the Ball Park Sports Center for 14 years where he brought indoor soccer and softball to the O’Fallon area. In 1996 he began a 24-year teaching career as a professor of Business, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Management and Marketing. Institutions included Bradley University, Fontbonne University, Lindenwood University, McKendree University, SIUE, SLCC, SLU, and SWIC.

Many organizations benefited from Ed’s passion to serve. Locally they include City of O’Fallon, Ward 2 Alderman, O’Fallon Boosters, School Board (Districts 90 and 203), O’Fallon-Shiloh Chamber of Commerce, Boy Scouts (Pack 35/Troop 46), Junior Achievement, Rotary, USO, YMCA Corporate Board, Military Officers Association, Southwestern Illinois Senior Olympics, O’Fallon Community Food Pantry, O’Fallon First United Methodist Church, St. Louis Sports Commission and St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission. Beyond the St. Louis area they include Boy Scouts of America, Bradley University Alumni, Leukemia Society, Illinois Board of Education, Illinois State Senior Olympics and Rotary International Exchange Student Correspondent.

Ed and Myrna were united in marriage on November 29, 1966 in Basel, Switzerland. He is survived by Myrna Monday True of O’Fallon; children Eric (Stephanie) True of Swansea, Illinois, Todd (Jacqueline) True of O’Fallon, Lynn (Al Bernard) True of Mora, Minnesota, Brian (Lucinea) True of Williamsburg, Virginia, and Karol (Isadore) Rocha of Mariposa, California; eight grandchildren Michelle (Andy) Kassing, Scott True, Kelsey (TJ Atwood) True, Kristianne (Chris) Baumann, Ryan True, Owen Lehr, Evan Lehr, Clayton Lehr; and five great-grandchildren Lexa Nash, Kaelyn True, Gavin True, RJ Kassing and Lilly Baumann.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations are suggested payable to the O’Fallon First United Methodist Church or the O’Fallon Community Food Pantry. Funeral Service began at 11 am, Monday, January 3, 2022, at O’Fallon First United Methodist Church, 504 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon, with Pastor Don Long, Jr., and Pastor Brad Lewis officiating.

Trujillo, Don

Don passed away on June 29, 2023, at age 90. Don was born in Denver, Colorado, the last sibling in a family of one older brother and six sisters. When he was 10, the family moved to Oakland, California, where his father found work in war industries. They lived in Auditorium Village, a housing project developed with government funds to provide housing for workers and their families who were moving to California.

Don graduated from Oakland High and during these years became a car aficionado, buying his first car at age 16 for $100. His proudest possession was a 1966 Chevrolet Bel Air green and white convertible, although his Porsche 911 was a close second. In his later years he enjoyed attending car shows.

Soon after high school graduation, Don was drafted into the Army, and served from 1953 to 1955, seeing service in Korea. His Army experiences, especially the seasick-inducing voyage from Seattle to Korea, added greatly to his catalog of amusing stories, all of which improved with each telling.

Using his G.I. bill benefits, he was able to attend college and buy his parents a house upon his return. He studied for a year in Mexico City, and graduated from SJSU in Police Science. He began his career with the San Jose Police Department in 1959 and retired in 1987. He rose to the rank of lieutenant and ultimately commanded the Traffic, Narcotics, and Homicide Units. During these years he added greatly to his police stories catalog. In admiration of his considerable archive, one Christmas Don received a bogus "autographed by author" copy of The Choirboys, by Joseph Wambaugh, a writer whose police-themed fiction usually involved dark humor and outrageous incidents.

In 1983 Don and Judy Hopkins surprised six friends by getting "Mauied" during a group Hawaiian vacation. Now he had a stepdaughter, Johanna, whom he loved dearly, especially when she and husband Nathan Danes later provided two charming and talented granddaughters, Anya and Avery. He amused his Kentucky in-laws and extended family during visits with his renditions of Southern customs and developed a passable accent when having early morning coffee at Hardee's with Clyde.

Don had two children, Lisa Marie and Don Phillip, both of whom predeceased him as adults, as did his seven siblings. His nephew Norman Lester, wife Susan, and family live in Dallas and have their Uncle Don stories. Don loved domestic and international travel and always liked to connect with local cops. One such contact resulted in the Trujillos being delivered to a local French seaside restaurant in the back of a paddy wagon with the quirky French siren blaring. The patrons were astonished when the officers opened the doors and formally escorted the Trujillos into the restaurant.

The story of Don's life cannot be written without mentioning his real estate ventures, beginning with the house he bought for his parents in San Leandro. He was an early investor in San Jose homes, buying his first for $16,000. For 50 years he owned a Los Gatos property he affectionately called The Cottages. His story catalog expanded to renters' stories, as he managed the property himself. He reluctantly sold The Cottages in 2021 as his health declined.

Besides his repertory of stories, some of which are repeated verbatim by his granddaughters, Don was also a skilled if whimsical caricaturist, and a remarkable poet. He leaves his family and life-long and new friends with amusing and cleverly rhymed poems of shared experiences, usually with a caricature of his bemused self. Don was a kind and generous father, husband, and friend who was deeply loved. As he wished, no services are planned and he remains firmly in memories and hearts.

Published by Mercury News from August 26 to September 3, 2023.

Tsufura, Tadashi

Tadashi Tsufura, 89, died of coronavirus at Mount Sinai Queens Hospital in Astoria, New York.  He was born September 17, 1930 in Los Angeles, California, the son of Shosetsu Tsufura, a Buddhist minister, and Midori Kamamoto Tsufura, a teacher.  His parents were both born in Japan, so during World War II the family was forced into the Gila River internment camp in Arizona.  The family stayed there for two years.  From 1951 to 1953 Tadashi fought in the Army in the Korean War.  After his military service he received a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Fenn College (now Cleveland State University).  He moved to New York, took education courses at Brooklyn College, and taught math for several years in two Manhattan schools.  He was principal of Public School 41 in Greenwich Village for eight years.  He then became deputy superintendent of District 3 on the Upper West Side, retiring in 1988. 

Tuka, Frank Joseph

Frank Joseph Tuka, 89 of Grant Township, passed away on Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at Corewell Health Ludington Hospital in Ludington.

Frank was born on February 23, 1933 in Chicago, the son of the late Frank and Sylvia (Janata) Tuka. He served our country in the U.S. Army during the Korean War from 1953 to 1955. On May 23, 1959 he married Mary Ann Jackoviak at St. John Cantius Catholic Church in Free Soil.

Frank was employed with Packaging Corporation of America for 44 years retiring in 1995. He was a life member of the V.F.W. Walsh Post #4499, a life member of the Stephen T. Duchon Catholic War Veterans Post # 1847, a member of the Manistee County United Veterans Council Ritual Squad and also a member of the Disabled American Veterans Salt City Chapter # 43 all of Manistee. He was a past Mason County Commissioner as well as a past Filer Credit Union board member. He was also a member of St. John Cantius Catholic Church of Free Soil. Frank was an avid bowler in the Manistee Bowling League’s and was inducted into the Men’s Bowling Hall of Fame.

He loved the outdoors, including deer hunting, fishing and camping. He enjoyed playing bingo, cards and attending his children’s and grandchildren’s sporting events.

Frank is survived by his wife of 63 years Mary Ann Tuka of Grant Township; his children Cheryl Janowiak of Manistee, Tina (Cliff) White of Clarksville, Tennessee, Frank (Sandy) Tuka of Rockford, Chuck (Donna) Tuka of Clawson and Jeff (Jackie) Tuka of Scottville; his grandchildren, Joshua (Emily) Janowiak, Brooke Janowiak, Kylie (Joshua) McWhirter, Janie White, Frank Tuka, David (Kelly) Klipfel, Doug (Chelsea) Klipfel, Joslyn Tuka and Carleigh Tuka; nine great-grandchildren; his sister Dolly (Gary) Lindeman of Manistee; brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Jim and Dawn Jackoviak of Custer; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Tim and Betty Baer of Racine, and sister-in-law and brother-in-law Richard and Carolyn Gagnon of Port Washington, Wisconsin.

He was preceded in death by his father Frank Tuka; his mother Sylvia Hajec; his stepfather Charles Hajec; brother Paul Posway; sister and brother-in-law, Lillian and Boo Innis, brother and sister-in-law John and Judy Tuka; and his mother-in-law and father-in-law John and Lorraine Jackoviak.

Mass of Christian Burial for Frank will be celebrated Monday, February 20, 2023 at 11:00 a.m. at Guardian Angels Catholic Church in Manistee with Reverend Daniel DePew celebrant. Burial will follow at Mount Carmel Cemetery in Manistee, where the members of the Manistee County United Veterans Council Ritual Squad will conduct military honors.

Visitation for family and friends will be at the Herbert Funeral Home in Manistee on Sunday afternoon, from 3 to 8 p.m. where relatives, friends and members of the St. John’s Rosary Society will pray the rosary at 7 p.m., and also at the funeral home on Monday morning from 10 a.m. until processing to the church at 10:45 a.m.

Memorial contributions in Frank’s name may be made to St. John Cantius Catholic Church or the V.F.W. Walsh Post # 4499 of Manistee. Envelopes are available at the funeral home.

The Herbert Funeral Home of Manistee is in charge of funeral arrangements.

Turland, William C.A.

Turland, William C.A. Lifelong resident of the Detroit metropolitan area died on Monday, December 19, 2011. Mr. Turland served in the U.S. Army in World War II and the Korean War. He was awarded the Silver Star Medal for Gallantry in Action for his service in Korea. Mr. Turland was a graduate of The Detroit Institute of Technology and worked for forty-six years at Chrysler and then for ten years at Morrison Knudsen and its successor, the Washington Group. Mr. Turland is survived by his wife of forty-seven years, Joyce, his daughter Kathleen and her husband Greg Berzolla and three grandchildren, Zachary, Courtney and Andrew. He is also survived by his sister Patricia Judd, his niece Deborah Hammond and a nephew David Judd. A funeral service will be held at Christ Church Cranbrook on Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. Burial will be at Arlington National Cemetery.

Twenhafel, Robert W. "Bob"

Robert W. “Bob” Twenhafel, 89, of Mascoutah, Illinois, died on Tuesday, December 20, 2022, at Friendship Manor in Nashville, Illinois.

Bob was born in Hoyleton, Illinois, on June 15, 1933, to Martin H. and Clara, nee Kraus, Twenhafel. He graduated from Nashville High School in 1951 and served as a Corporal in the U.S. Army from 1951-1953 in Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, where he received the National Defense Service Medal and the Good Conduct Medal.

On June 14, 1958, Bob married Janet Kneschke of Mascoutah, where they made their home in 1964. Bob worked the majority of his career as a salesman for Harvestore, from which he garnered many awards and accolades for outstanding sales performance. Bob enjoyed an extremely active social life with hobbies including card playing, softball, golf, jigsaw puzzles, crafting, working in his flower beds, and following his beloved St. Louis Cardinals.

Bob’s number one interest and greatest source of pride were his five grandchildren. He was a proud and devoted grandpa who, until he was physically unable, attended his grandkids’ many activities over the years. Throughout his life, Bob served in numerous volunteer organizations, including March of Dimes, Jaycees, Mascoutah Evening Lions, Mascoutah Food Pantry, and the Mascoutah Senior Center. His greatest service was through his church, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Mascoutah. He was a humble servant and had many leadership roles within the church, but the role which was his true vocation was that of evangelism; Bob shared his faith openly with everyone he encountered and considered it his greatest mission to show the love of Christ to all.

He is preceded in death by his parents, his cherished wife, Jan Rose, nee Kneschke, who died on October 27, 2010, a brother, Willard, and a sister, Agnes, in infancy.

Bob is survived by his children, Kathy (Keith) Woodward of Wichita, Kansas, Terry (Beth) Twenhafel of Smithton, Illinois, Kara (Jake) Simon of Webster Groves, Missouri; five grandchildren, Lauren and Adam Twenhafel, Daniel Woodward, Mia and Lola Simon; great-granddaughter, Nymeria Woodward; sister, Pearl Twenhafel, aged 96; a sister-in-law, Marion Kneschke.

Over 75 years ago, Bob chose as his confirmation verse Revelation 3:11, “I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.” At the end of His life, the disciple Paul testified that he had finished the race of human life and anticipated the crown of righteousness as a reward from the Lord, the righteous judge. Bob completed his race with discipline, faithfulness, patient endurance, and has been rewarded with the crown of righteousness.

In lieu of all other gifts memorials may be made to Zion Lutheran Memorial Fund, 101 S. Railway, Mascoutah 62258 or Unity Lutheran Christian Elementary School, 1600 40th St., East St. Louis, Illinois 62204.

Visitation: From 9 to 11 AM Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022 at Zion Lutheran Church, Mascoutah 62258. Funeral: A funeral service will be held 11 AM Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022 at Zion Lutheran Church with Pastor Kirk Clayton officiating. Burial with military honors will follow in Mascoutah City Cemetery.

Tyler, Tommy Jean

Tommy Jean "Tom" Tyler, 77, of Danville, Illinois, passed away at 12:50 a.m. Saturday, March 1, 2014, at Kindred Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana.  A service to celebrate his life was held on March 6, and burial was followed in Spring Hill Cemetery.

He was born August 9, 1936, in Danville to Willis and Mildred Wichman Tyler.  He had been married to Karen Kimball with whom he had two daughters.  He later became engaged to Rosie Moore.  She survives.  Also surviving are his two daughters, Shelly Botkin of Tilton, Illinois and Mrs. Rick (Kerry) Hulse of Gifford, Illinois; three grandchildren, Morgan Bailey, Tony Hulse and Shelby Hulse; great-granddaughter, Kimberlynn Neveah; a niece, Alice; and his fiancee Rosie and her children, Mrs. Tim (Crystal) Shell and Ricky Moore and his daughter, Tessa.

He was preceded in death by his parents; his sister and brother-in-law, Sally and Kenny Richards; a son-in-law, Ed Botkin; and Rosie's son, Eugene.

Tom had served his country by enlisted in the U.S. Navy in which he served during the Korean War.  He had been a member of the Rossville American Legion.

Tom drove a truck for Fleming and Weller Construction, worked in the mill at Cash and Carry Lumber, and retired while working in the offices at NACCO.  He liked fishing and spending time outdoors, especially working in his yard.  Tom also loved to spend time with his family.

Close this window

© 2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter