Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "R"

Close this window

Radas, Matt

Matt J. Radas Jr., 92, of Collinsville, Illinois, passed away on June 6, 2021, at Eden Village Retirement Center in Glen Carbon, Illinois.  Matt was born January 21, 1929, in Granite City, Illinois, to Matt and Emma Krauser Radas.  He served as a Corporal in the United States Army from 1951 until he transferred to the Army Reserve in 1953.

He was the owner/operator of Triangle Auto Supply in Collinsville for over 35 years.  There wasn't anything that Matt couldn't make or fix.  He was very talented and a hard worker.  He loved his business, and he put his life into it.

He was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Jane Radas; and brothers Robert Radas and Al Radas.  Survivors include his daughters, Sandi Locus and husband Lenny of Collinsville, Illinois, and Karen Gibson of Collinsville, Illinois; grandchildren Lisa Halbrooks and husband Gene, K. Michael Martin Jr. and wife Jamie, and Corwin Gibson; great grandchildren Madison Halbrooks, Matthew Halbrooks, Emma Martin, Gage Martin, Noah Martin, Aiden Gibson, and Evan Gibson.

A celebration of life will be held at a later date.  Memorial contributions may be made to Meals on Wheels America  Donations can be made online at

Rado, Daniel V.

Daniel V. Rado, former New Brunswick resident, Galloway Township resident for 22 years, West Milford resident for 11 years and most recently a resident of the New Jersey Veteran's Home in Paramus, New Jersey, died Saturday, May 2, 2020 of coronavirus. He was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey and was the son of Frank Rado and Rose Solinardi Rado. He is predeceased by sisters Angela Figlo, Rose Furino, Sisters Johanna and Helen Rado both of the Fillipini Sisters, Joseph Rado, and beloved son Frankie Rado. He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Irene (Kady) Rado, son Daniel B. Rado of Lore City, Ohio and his wife Kathy Rado, daughters Rosemary Rado of West Milford, New Jersey and Lisa Severino of Clinton, New Jersey and her husband, Matthew Severino, four grandchildren, Tara Marie Severino, Jessica Lynn Severino, Daniel Matthew Severino and Danielle Rose Russell. He is also survived by sibling Marie Miller, brother-in-law John Miller of Milltown, sister-in-law Arlene Rado and several loving nieces and nephews. Mr. Rado graduated from New Brunswick High School in the Class of 1946. He played football, basketball and fast pitch softball throughout his high school years and was also on many local teams during the 1950's and 1960's. He was an Army Veteran and proudly served his country during the Korean War. Daniel worked at Triangle Conduct Cable Company for 35 years and served as IBEW President for 10 years. He was very active with the Union and served as Treasurer for the Credit Union for several years. When he relocated to Galloway Township he worked as a Shipping Manager for Hussey Copper in Pennsylvania. He made a choice to "slow down" a bit and began his retirement while becoming a part time school bus driver, where he continued to work for the next 12 years. He fully retired at the age of 80! Daniel loved to vacation and travelled extensively with his wife Irene throughout their married life. He enjoyed sports immensely and his favorite teams were the New York Giants and the New York Yankees. He was an avid Joe DiMaggio fan. Dan was very social and was blessed with many wonderful friendships throughout his life. He remained close to his lifelong friends from back in the "neighborhood" in New Brunswick. He was a dedicated family man and loved celebrating birthdays and holidays with his children and grandchildren. He loved to laugh and was great at telling a joke or a good story. He will be missed immensely by all those that knew and loved him. Memorial gifts can be made to the Wounded Warrior Project. A memorial mass will be held at St. Mary's Mount Virgin Church, New Brunswick New Jersey at a later date.

Radz, Alfred

Alfred Radz died on March 6, 2006, of cancer at the age of 75.  He died very peacefully at home surrounded by all of his loved ones.  Six days prior to his passing his family was able to have an Army representative come to the house and present him with the medals he did not receive years ago.  Alfred was very alert and knew exactly what was going on.  He even found enough strength to salute the Lieutenant.

Ramsey, Glen A.

Glen A. Ramsey, 82, of Monticello, Kentucky, died Saturday, March 9, 2013 at the Wayne County Hospital, in Monticello.  Interment was in Elk Spring Cemetery, Monticello.

He was born May 14, 1930, to the late Joseph Vernon and Hattie Mae Dick Ramsey.  He was a veteran of the Korean War.

On June 26, 1954 he united in marriage to Helen Evelyn Corder Ramsey, who passed away Thursday, March 7, 2013.  To this union one son survives: Paul Duglas and his wife Jeanie Ramsey. Also surviving is his sister, Doloris Clark, and one grandson, Christopher Paul Ramsey.

Brother Ramsey had accepted Christ as his Savior many years ago and served faithfully as a minister for many years. He was serving his Lord as a member of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church.

Randall, Raymond

Raymond T. Randall, 81, of Danville, Illinois, passed away at 11:38 a.m., Saturday, January 24, 2015, at his home surrounded by his family.

Ray was born May 26, 1933, in Danville to Raymond D. and Leona L. Thirion Randall.  He served his country in the U.S. Navy as a second class yeoman during the Korean War.

He married the love of his life, Phyllis Varner, on April 16, 1955.  The two enjoyed 52 years of marriage before her passing on December 15, 2007.  Ray worked sales at Thirion Glass Company for several years and later at Hyster NACCO.  He served as Danville parks commissioner for 12 years.

Ray was a member of American Legion Post 210, the Knights of Columbus, the Danville Rotary Club, UCT, and the Danville Elks.  He loved to volunteer his time and help others.  Ray was a Red Vest volunteer at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center with more than 12,000 hours of community service from 1993 until 2014.

He enjoyed bowling in the Elks bowling league and was active in Little League baseball with the Danville American Legion.  Ray was an avid St. Louis Cardinals fan.  He loved sports.  You could find him in the stands at all his grandkids' sporting events.  When he was not in the stands cheering on their team, you could find him in the announcer's booth, as he was The Voice of the Toppers for Schlarman High School for several years.  Ray was a kind and giving man who will be missed by all who knew him.

He is survived by his son, Rick (Mary) Randall of Danville; daughters, Mrs. Larry (Terri) Jaggers and Mrs. Scott (Cherri) Drews, both of Danville; grandchildren, Mrs. Dusty (Christin) Randall-Murray, Cory Randall, Mrs. Zack (Tara) Holycross, Travis Jaggers, Blair Drews and Brock Drews; great-grandchildren, Caden Billingsley, Jaycie Jenkins, Cooper and Cruze Murray and Easton Drews; sister, Mrs,. Roman (Jackie) Wagner of Wisconsin; special niece, Pat Cunningham; as well as many other nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Raymond d. and Leona Randall; his loving wife, Phyllis; and his son, Mick Randall.

Burial was in Resurrection Cemetery.  Memorials in Ray's name can be made to St. Paul's Catholic church, Schlarman Academy or Carle Heart Center.

Rankin, Marion William "Buddy"

Marion William "Buddy" Rankin, 83, beloved widower of Kathleen Allen Rankin, passed away peacefully on Thursday, December 27, 2012.  He was born July 15, 1929 in Harrison County, son of the late Marvin and Lillian Roberts Rankin.  He was an honorably discharged P.O.W. veteran of the Korean War and recipient of three Purple Hearts.

He worked and retired from Lexington-Bluegrass Army Depot, Avon Activity.  After retirement, Buddy spent time traveling and fishing.  He was a member of the Ruddles Mill Christian Church.

He is survived by a daughter, Sharon Lynn Rankin, Paris; son, Garey (Mitzi) Allen, Paris; three grandchildren, Christopher Todd Allen, Ashley Allison Allen, Brock Woodford Allen; three great grandchildren, Alexandria Mae Allen, Kelsi Brook Allen, Haley Jane Allen; aunt, Alma Lee Kearns; sister-in-law, Mary Lou Rankin; and two nephews, Gaylen F. Rankin and Michael W. Rankin.

Funeral services will be 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at Hinton-Turner Funeral Home by Rev. John McGuire with burial in Evergreen Memory Gardens.  Casket bearers will be Mike Kearns, Ronnie Eads, Wayne Stocker, Doug Buchanan, Richard "Dickie" Rankin, Michael W. Rankin, and Gaylen F. Rankin.  Honorary bearers will be Johnny Wyatt, Mike Williams, Walter Link, Will Rich, and Carl Toomey.  Visitation will be after 11:00 a.m. Wednesday.

Uncle "Bud"
(Click pix for a larger view)

Marion W. "Buddy" Rankin
(Click pix for a larger view)

Buddy's Korea Trip
(Click pix for a larger view)

Ratay, John Andrew

John Andrew Ratay (AKA Rataj) was born June 24, 1932 in E. St. Louis, Illinois to Andrew Thomas Ratay and Josephine Ratay (nee Leszkowicz). He died January 8, 2023 at age 90, at Spring Hills Hunters Creek Senior Community in Orlando Florida.

He is survived by a brother, Gene Ratay, and a sister, Sharon Ratay Sturgeon. John attended Central Catholic High School in East St. Louis, Illinois and graduated from SIU Edwardsville, Illinois. He joined the Navy at age 19 and spent 31 years serving, including in Korea during the Korean War.

John enjoyed all things Polish, especially the food and dancing the Polka. He was an avid reader and historian. His greatest passion was watching professional soccer and he often arranged vacations around attending games in various parts of the world. He was a very thoughtful person, who in healthier times, sent a yearly birthday card to everyone he loved.

Rathgeb, Lawrence "Larry"

Lawrence "Larry" J.  Rathgeb, Detroit, Michigan, died March 22, 2020, at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital at age 90, a victim of COVID-19. He was cremated.

He was born February 12, 1930, in Harrison, New York.  His family later moved to nearby New Rochelle, and he worked as a mechanic at a local garage. In 1948, he joined the Army and was part of Army Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s motor pool. He also became a member of the general’s honor guard, serving in the Korean War, Jeff Rathgeb said.  He noted that his father kept an autographed photo of the general in his home office.

Rathgeb and his wife married after he got out of the Army. He later came to Michigan and Chrysler through the Chrysler Institute of Engineering after attending what was then the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy.  Larry was the lead engineer for the car that on March 24, 1970, broke one of racing’s most significant milestones, the 200 mph closed-circuit track lap.

By the mid-60s, he was head of Chrysler’s “Special Vehicle Group,” according to the Hall of Fame listing.  The effort that led to the ground-breaking Charger Daytona was spawned by a battle to outdo Ford and its Torino Talladega, driven by Richard Petty, in the 1969 NASCAR season, according to Mopar.

Larry was a good family man who was a friend to everyone and apparently a bit humble about his contributions. His son said those included convincing Dale Earnhardt Sr. to stick with racing after Rathgeb hired him to test the Chrysler Kit Car and his dad’s work as a suspension and alignment consultant on the Dodge Viper.

Ray, John W.

Senior Judge John W. Ray passed peacefully on September 03, 2016 at age 85. He is survived by Geniel, his wife of almost 66 years, 3 children, 3 grandchildren and his sister, Peggy. "Jack" grew up on ranches in Colorado and Kansas and served in the Navy during the Korean War. After the Navy he drove cattle trucks and served as a Police Officer in Pueblo, CO; moving his family to Carson City in 1965, where he worked in law enforcement for the State of Nevada before becoming Special Master of the Juvenile Courts. Jack was first appointed and then twice elected as Justice of the Peace in Carson City. He always said that he was lucky to have been elected with majority votes as being the Judge meant "he could only make half of the people happy at any one time". He was subsequently appointed as a Senior Judge for the State of Nevada. The Nevada State Supreme Court recently acknowledged his work with a special commendation for his years of service and reputation for empathy and fairness. Jack was a member of the LDS church and when not working, was a "hands on" father before it was the norm. He enjoyed working with the Eagle Scouts, family camping and four-wheeling trips, working with the Coast Guard Auxiliary, working as a Trustee for the local library, participating in the local Masonic Lodge, and reading mystery novels. He retired to a quiet life with family and close friends in 2005.

Services will be held Saturday, September 10, at 1pm at the LDS Stake Center in Carson City, 411 N. Saliman Road, to be followed by graveside service at Lone Mountain Cemetery.

Published in Reno Gazette-Journal on September 8, 2016

Reed, Harry H. Sr.

M Co., 19th Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, 75mm Recoilless Rifleman, Driver 3/4 ton Dodge Weapons Carrier, Outstanding Dad.  Passed away February 21 1990. - Thanks, Harry H. Reed II

Harry H. Reed, Sr.

Reed, Joel Melvin

Joel Melvin Reed, Manhattan, New York, died April 14, 2020 of coronavirus in a hospital in Queens.  He was born December 29, 1933 in Brooklyn, a son of Albert and Gertrude Harris Reed.  He was survived by brothers Elliott and Michael.  After completing high school he served in the US Army in Korea.  Mr. Reed gained fame as a soft-core porn and then splatter-horror filmmaker.  His most famous film was the misogynistic film, "Bloodsucking Freaks".

Reed, Milo L.

Milo L. Reed died July 9, 2007.  He served with the 160th Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division, Heavy Mortar Company in Korea during 1951 -1952. His friend, Yukinubo Ito, was killed on Heartbreak Ridge on October 28th, 1952. According to his son Rod Reed of Illinois, "My understanding is that Mr. Ito and my father were forward scouts(?) up on Heartbreak Ridge when the Chinese overran the hill, Mr. Ito was killed, but my father survived. He never spoke of it, but had been searching for others that had served with them for more information.


Milo L. Reed, age 73, of Savanna, Illinois, died Monday, July 9, 2007, at his home. Funeral services were held at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, July 13, 2007, at First United Methodist Church, Savanna, Illinois. Reverend Larry Thomson officiated. Burial was in Savanna Township Cemetery, Savanna, Illinois. The Savanna VFW Post #2223 accorded military rites.  Memorials may be made to the Savanna Ambulance Association or the Savanna Fire Department in Milo’s Honor.

Milo was born August 22, 1933, the son of Leo and Florence (Gombert) Reed, in Maquoketa, Iowa. He attended Savanna High School. On September 12, 1954, Milo married Rose Marie “Rosie” Aitken in Savanna. Milo served with the United States Army Paratroopers during the Korean War and received three bronze stars.

Milo worked as a cable-splicer for the local phone company, retiring after forty years of service. He was a thirty-three year Veteran of the Savanna Ambulance Association, and one of Savanna’s first EMT’s. He served for forty years on the Savanna Fire Department, achieving the rank of Captain and past President of the Savanna Fireman’s Association. Milo was a lifetime member of the Savanna VFW Post #2223; the Savanna Moose Lodge #1095 and a past member of the Savanna Zoning Board.  Milo very much loved spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren and great grandchildren. He enjoyed traveling and doing just about anything in the outdoors.

Milo will be dearly missed by his two daughters, Ronda (Terry) Koser of Savanna and Darcy (Randy) Holland of Hanover, IL. three sons, Richard Reed of Moline, IL. Milo Scott (Diane Holder) Reed of Holland, Michigan and Rodney (Kelly) Reed of Albany, IL.; one sister, Brenda (Joe) Mish of Phoenix, AZ; eighteen grandchildren and fourteen great grand children. Milo was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Rose Marie; and special friend, Joanne Lindeman and a brother, Richard Gene Reed.

Reeves, Donald Duane

On April 5, 2023 we sadly said goodbye to Donald Duane Reeves, devoted husband, and loving Dad, Poppa, Pops, and Pa. The youngest of five children, he was born to Orvia and Hazel Reeves on March 21, 1932 in Palo Alto, California. His mother had been diagnosed with tuberculosis while pregnant with him, and against her doctor's recommendation, she insisted on continuing the pregnancy to give him life, despite knowing it would shorten hers...a selfless decision we are all very thankful for. After his mother passed away, his stepmom Alice Reeves joined the family to continue raising him.

Don was proud to be a native Californian. He graduated from Palo Alto High School in 1951, where he excelled at football, baseball and rugby, earning an athletic scholarship. After several years of college, he joined the United States Air Force, and served our country during the Korean War.

Upon completing his tour in the Air Force, he met the love of his life, Carol Russell. The minute he laid eyes on her, he told his buddy "I'm going to marry that girl", and he did. They raised three kids who were blessed to grow up in a home filled with love, laughter, and music. Together, Don and Carol were the ultimate example of true, lifelong love.

Don was an avid San Francisco 49ers fan...all the way back to the Kezar Stadium days. He was an excellent golfer and was lucky enough to be chosen as a Marshall at the 2000 Pebble Beach Classic, the highlight of which was watching Tiger Woods play, among his other golf heroes. Don also had a passion for Little League baseball. Once while watching one of his son's baseball games, he started yelling at the umpire from the stands. Carol told him to "knock it off…if you think you can do better, you should get out there yourself". Thus began 40 years as a volunteer umpire for District 44-Moreland Little League, highlighted by the privilege of being chosen to umpire behind the plate at the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He was also invited to umpire the Little League Play-offs in Honolulu, Hawaii, and was a guest umpire in Calgary, Canada for Little League Canada. Over the years he mentored countless kids in good sportsmanship and fair play.

Don enjoyed a 40-year career as a Facilities Engineer at Hewlett-Packard, before retiring in 1997. He filled his retirement years with golf, pool parties, family get-togethers and travel. He especially loved spending time in Hawaii and Carmel with Carol, and their many friends. Always a jokester, he was known for his great sense of humor. He loved his family deeply, and we are all heartbroken at the loss of such a good man.

Don is survived by his wife of 62 years Carol; his daughter Sue, sons Mike & John; grandkids Jennifer, Katelyn, Jessica, Greg, Rachel, John Robert, and Lucas; great-grandkids Shaelee, Chloe, Violet, Micah, Larkin, and Uriah as well as many lifelong friends. He will be forever missed by all who knew and loved him, but the memories & love that he left behind will be carried in our hearts forever.

A Celebration of Don's Life will be held at Woodcreek Golf Course in Roseville, CA on Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 1:00pm.

Reeves, H. Edward

H. Edward Reeves went to be with his Lord on June 17, 2010, at the Prescott, Ariz., VA Hospice facility - Heroes Way, where he received loving care until he was called to his eternal home.

Born Oct. 23, 1931, in Joliet, Illinois, Edward had lived in Prescott, Ariz., since 1980. He served as a private first class in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was a 1958 alumnus of the University of Illinois; taught for 25 years in AWANA; was a retired computer programmer at APSA, Joliet, Illinois; was an evangelist with South American Crusades from 1976-1989; attended Alliance Bible Church; worked with the Korean War Memorial project in Phoenix and Washington, D.C.; was a proud member of his cherished Veterans of the Chosin Few, Chapter 608-Military Order of the Purple Heart; and was a member of the Korean War Veterans Association H. Edward Reeves, Chapter 311, which was named for him.

Edward's legacy is his family. He is survived by his beloved wife of 58 years, Beverly Jean Reeves; his children, John and Ann Reeves, Michelle and Dennis Stewart, Melody and Bill Fisher, Kelly and Steve Lambourne, Kim Reeves, and Cindy and Randy Garman; his 16 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren; his brothers and sisters, Grace Tonge, Dick Reeves, James Reeves and Dorothy Hall. Preceding him to heaven were his children, Deborah and Michael Reeves; his parents, Hubert and Wannetta Reeves; and his sister, Louise Studer.

A celebration memorial service of Edward's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. June 25, 2010, at Harvest Bible Chapel, 6711 N. 2nd St., Prescott Valley, Arizona. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to The JESUS Film Project, Adam Jones, #0630312, P.O. Box 628222, Orlando, Florida, 32862-8222.

Interment will be at Prescott National Cemetery, Prescott, Arizona.

Reeves, Paul William

Paul William Reeves died April 19, 1996, in Watonga, Oklahoma.  He was born September 30, 1932 in Steelville, Missouri, a son of Patrick Edward McCoy and Evelyn Louise Stringer Reeves. 

He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army, having served in the Korean War in the 5th Special Forces.  He was the recipient of a Silver Star and Purple Heart.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Betty Louise Malaney Reeves (1942-1976).  His siblings were Catherine Margaret, Elsie Marie, Alva Harrison, Virginia Bell, and Norma Faye Reeves.  His half-siblings were James Curtis, Zelbert Wiley and Addie Lee Elizabeth Stringer.

Lt. Colonel Reeves is buried in Watonga IOOF Cemetery.

Reinker, George Richard

George Richard Reinker left this earth to join his beloved wife, Brooks, on June 9, 2011. He was born February 22, 1928 to Sylvester and Esther Reinker in Akron, Ohio. He married Ethyl Brooks in Fukuoka, Japan on January 8, 1952.

He was a decorated U.S. Air Force pilot and intelligence officer. His career included combat tours in Korea and Vietnam and assignments at the Pentagon and NATO in Naples, Italy. His final tour of duty was as Chief, Academic Training Division, USAF Special Operations School, Hurlburt.

After retirement he managed Niceville Paint and Decorating/Florida Door Sales for many years. He attended Kent State University, received his Bachelor of Arts from Stanford, and a Master of Public Administration and a Master of International Relations from Troy State University.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Sylvester and Esther and his wife, Brooks. He is survived by his daughters, Stephanie Fiore, and sons Matthew (Kelly) and Anthony (Amy); Carol Gruber (Brian) and son Richard (Marla), and daughters Sara and Casey; Kathryn Laster (Clifford) and daughters Jennifer and Christine, and son Timothy; Susan Reinker (Michael Lomenzo); and a great-grandchild Max Fiore; brother Leonard Reinker and family; sister Phyllis Gaines and family; and several nieces and nephews.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, June 13, 2011 at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Shalimar, Fla. A reception will follow at the church.

Rendina, Pete Eugene

Pete E. Rendina, 79, of Selbyville and Venice, Florida and formerly of Northeast Philadelphia, died Wednesday April 10, 2013, with his beloved wife and son by his side. Born in Masontown, Pennsylvania, he was the son of the late Riccardo and Rose (Eppolito) Rendina.

Pete had been a truck driver for the Oscar Meyer Company prior to his retirement. He was a member of the Marine Corps League, First State Detachment.  During the Korean War he joined the Marine Corps in Philadelphia and saw combat with Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marines. He was a member of the Olde Tymers Softball League and had been a player/manager with the Delaware Diamonds. He was a member of St. Luke Catholic Church in Ocean City, Maryland, and had been active in youth sports and in high school sports at Archbishop Ryan High School in Philadelphia, touching the lives of hundreds of young people.

Pete is survived by his wife, Barbara M. (Scherer) Rendina; three children, Peter R. Rendina (Rebecca), Kathryn Rolle (Walt), and Geraldine Nielson (Terry); seven grandchildren, Tyler, Tessa and Tayah Rendina, Stephanie Johnson, Walter Rolle, Holly Rosten and Eric Nielson; two sisters, Theresa Childs and Julia DiLella and many beloved family members.

Mass of Christian Burial will be on Friday April 19, 2013 at 11 AM at St. Luke Catholic Church in Ocean City where friends may call after 10AM. Burial, with Marine Corps Honors, will be at Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Millsboro.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Marine Corps League, First State Detachment, PO Box 434, Ocean View, Delaware 19970.

Rettig, Richard Louis

Richard Louis Rettig died on Friday, April 10th, 2020 after reaching 86 years of age. He died peacefully at West River Health Care Center in Milford, Connecticut, with his beloved wife Catherine by his side. He was born August 9, 1933 in Butler, Pennsylvania to the late Norman and Leona (Schnur) Rettig. As a boy he lived on a farm, enjoying childhood with his three brothers and two sisters – a time he would share fond memories from throughout his entire life. He left the countryside in 1950 at the age of 17 to join the Unites States Navy. He, along with all three of his brothers, proudly served in the Korean War.

In 1952 he met the love of his life, Catherine Talnose, at a bus stop in New Haven, Connecticut. They married in the same year and lived inseparably for 68 years. They settled in West Haven, Connecticut living on Richard St. and then later on Central Avenue. While in West Haven, he worked for the United States Postal Service as a mail carrier, and he and Catherine, a nurse, raised their four beloved children Richard, David, Judy and Cathy. He was also proudly a West Haven volunteer fireman for 40 years.

While his central focus was always his family, he was also a passionate sports fan devoted to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He enjoyed playing golf and in 1988 he retired from the Postal Service after 35 years of service. He and Catherine later spent 25 years of their lives in Zephryhills, Florida before returning home to Connecticut in 2011. He was a good and loving father, grandfather, and great-grandfather and he was a great friend to many. He was a genuine, kind and honest man and his quiet strength and gentle demeanor touched many. A man of the highest integrity, he will be deeply missed by his loving family as a tremendous husband, father, "Poppy" to his grandchildren, and "Opie" to his great-grandchildren.

Surviving are his wife, Catherine Rose (Talnose) who he married December 1952. Two daughters, Judy (Chris) Rettig of Orlando Florida, Cathy (Larry Abrams) of Milford, Connecticut. Two sons, Richard (Ellen) Rettig of Houston Texas, Dave (Laurie) Rettig of Branford Connecticut. five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren, a sister Margaret Hackett of Butler. He was preceded in death by his sister Norma Jean (Rettig) Cumpston and his brother Norm "Dutch" (Nan) Rettig, Lloyd (Peg) Rettig and Wayne (Natalie) Rettig.

The family would like to thank the staff and caregivers at West River Health Care Center for their love and support over this difficult time. Due to the current pandemic, a private memorial service will take place. In lieu of flowers contributions can be made to: American Parkinson Disease Association, 135 Parkinson Avenue, Staten Island, New York 10305

Rexin, Ernest A. "Ernie"

Ernest "Ernie" A. Rexin, 81, of Ocala, Florida, passed away on Tuesday, November 27, 2012.  He was born in Brooklyn, New York on July 24, 1931 to Ernest and Henrietta Rexin. He was raised in the Yorkville section of Manhattan.

Ernie was a U.S. Navy and U.S. Army veteran of the Korean War. Following his military service, he became a licensed Second Mate in the U.S. Merchant Marine where he sailed as a Second Mate and earned a Chief mate endorsement. During his sailing days, he visited 64 different islands and countries making lifelong acquaintances everywhere he went. Between his sailing commitments, he put his talents to further use as a Marine Surveyor and a Port Captain supervising the leading and discharge of containerized and bulk cargo at the Howland Hook Marine Terminal on Staten Island, NY and at other major ports along the east coast. He was also instrumental in introducing modern cargo handling operation in Mexico, Brazil and El Salvador.

Ernie was an extremely loving husband to his wife and best friend of 38 years, Florence Rexin, whom he met at the Howland Hook Container Terminal. He is survived by his wife Florence and by two nieces, Margie Rosa of Johnstown, New York and Diane Sargeant of Boliver, Ohio.

Ernie's favorite saying was Ego Sum Pauper Nihel Habeo Cor Meum Dabo which in Latin means, "I am poor, I have nothing, I give my heart."  A visitation will be held at Hiers-Baxley Funeral Services, 910 E. Silver Springs Blvd, Ocala, on Sunday, December 2, 2012 from 2 pm until 3 pm. A funeral service will also be held at the funeral home on Sunday at 3 pm.

Published in Ocala Star-Banner from November 30 to December 1, 2012

Rheault, Robert B.

Rheault, Robert B, COL (Ret), 87, passed away peacefully at home in Owl’s Head, Maine on 16 October, 2013. Bob worked as a cowboy on ranches in Wyoming when he was just 14. He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy and attended the US Military Academy, West Point.

He first saw combat in Korea earning a Silver Star and rising to the rank of Captain. He returned to West Point and taught French for several years. He attended the Special Forces Officer Course in 1960 and was assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group in Germany. In 1964 he served with the 5th Special Forces Group in Vietnam. He served on the Special Operations Division, Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1966. He took command of the 1st Special Forces Group on Okinawa in 1968 and commanded the 5th Special Forces Group in Vietnam until his retirement in 1969.

After his retirement Bob worked for the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School for 32 years. He started as an Assistant Watch Officer and rose to President of the school. During the last 19 of those years he started and ran an Outward Bound Program for Vietnam Veterans suffering from PTSD.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Andre and his first wife, Nan. He is survived by his wife of 36 years, Susan; five children, Susanne, Meesh, Robert Jr, Nicholas and Alexis. He is also survived by many loving in-laws, nephews and nieces, grandchildren and one goddaughter. The family requests memorials be made to The Hurricane Island Outward Bound School, 39 Mechanic St. Suite 310, Camden, ME 04843.

Ribera, Vernon Ray

Vernon Ray Ribera, age 94, of Rockwall, Texas, passed away peacefully, surrounded by family, in Dallas, Texas, on August 6, 2022. He was born January 13, 1928, in Boswell, Oklahoma, to Adeline (Angelly) and Ralph Ribera. Vernon grew up on the family farm, raised by his older sister and an uncle, after being orphaned at six years of age.

He graduated from Boswell High School in 1944 at the age of 16 and joined the Merchant Marine, making supply runs across the Atlantic during the last year of World War II. In February 1946, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces. After the war, he returned home and earned a bachelor's degree from Southeastern Oklahoma State University and joined the Oklahoma National Guard. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War and served at the rank of master sergeant as acting platoon leader of a rifle company with the 45th Infantry Division, the "Thunderbirds", and saw combat in the Chorwon Valley during the bitterly cold winter of 1951-52. He received the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star, and the Combat Infantry Badge. He continued to serve in the National Guard until 1962 and rose to the rank of first lieutenant.

On March 21, 1958, Vernon married the love of his life; Rose May (Clesi) Ribera. He received a Master's degree in Mathematics from Rutgers University. He moved his family to Oklahoma City and then finally settled in Edmond, where he taught Computer Science at the University of Central Oklahoma, retiring in 1990 as Professor Emeritus. Vernon was very social and loved spending time with family and friends. He was a master woodworker and was an active member of the Terry Fisher American Legion Post 117 in Rockwall.  He will be missed deeply.

Vernon is survived by his son: David Ribera and wife Andrea; daughter: Leslie Ledda, and husband Francesco; grandchildren: Allison, Tyler, Calvin, and Rose; and a host of extended family and friends. He was preceded in death by his wife: Rose May Ribera; his parents: Adeline and Ralph Ribera; brothers: Oscar, Henry, Martin and Marcus Ribera; and sister Mary Darnell.

Funeral services will be held 10:00 am, Saturday, August 13, 2022, at First United Methodist Church in Rockwall. Visitation will take place at the church one hour prior to the service from 9:00 am to 10:00 am. Family and friends will gather for fellowship after the service. Interment will take place at 11:00 am on Friday, August 19, 2022, in DFW National Cemetery, Dallas. - Published on August 11, 2022

Rice, Jerome Michael "Jerry"

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, Jerome (Jerry) Michael Rice passed away peacefully at 86 in the presence of family at Overlook Medical Center after battling COVID-19. Jerry was born on September 13, 1933 in Elizabeth, New Jersey to John & Genevieve Rice.

From 1952 to 1955, Jerry served his country as a Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps. During the Korean War, he flew with the 1st Marine Air Wing as a radar operator and was one of the ‘Frozen Chosin: The Marines at the Changjin Reservoir’ during one of the greatest Battles in Marine Corps history. During this battle, American forces were surrounded, vastly outnumbered and facing mass slaughter in brutally cold mountains near the Chinese border. Jerry was part of the flight crews on supply transports that ferried in desperately needed supplies which helped the Marines battle out of the trap bringing with them all their wounded as well as the Army wounded from the same area. It was a tactical marvel, and one that is held in the highest regard throughout the Marine Corps! In 1957, he was Commandant in the Marine Corps League with the Elizabeth Detachment. Jerry was honored as the Marine of the Year in 2018 with the Central Jersey Leathernecks Detachment and received a Proclamation from the Mayor and Council, Boro of Mountainside. His Marine Corps ribbons, medals & badges include: Marine Corps Combat Air Crew Wings; Air Medal Ribbon; Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal; National Defense Service Medal; Korean Service Ribbon; Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation; United Nations Service Korea Medal; United Nations Medal; Republic of Korea War Service Ribbon; as well as the Expert Riflemen's Badge and the Marksman Pistol Badge.

Following in Jerry’s footsteps to serve their country, son, James Richard served as a Sergeant with the United States Marine Corps; his grandson, Michael Jerome Rice is an active Staff Sergeant with the United States Marine Corps and his grandson, James Michael Rice is an active Sergeant with the United States Army.

After his service in the United States Marine Corp, on February 5, 1962 Jerry joined the Mountainside Police Department as a patrolman. He was promoted on December 19, 1967 to Detective Sergeant, a position he held for over 34 years until his retirement on April 30, 1996. Throughout his career, Det. Sgt. Rice received numerous awards and recognitions for exhibiting his high degree of professionalism, integrity, and dedication that went above and beyond the call of duty. The most prestigious award he earned was attending the FBI National Academy 98th Session through the US Department of Justice, where he completed 12 weeks of training on September 12, 1975 in Quantico, Virginia.

Jerry served as the 13th President of the New Jersey Narcotic Enforcement Officers Association (NJNEOA) during the 1977-1978 term. He rose to that position after serving as a member of the Board of Directors, and as 1st, 2nd and 3rd Vice-Presidents, he was active with the Association until 2017. He also completed the US Department of Justice Bureau of Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs course on November 8, 1968. In addition, he served as the President & Treasurer of the Municipal Investigators Association of Union County and was a respected Life Member.

Jerry was so proud of his family, and several generations served or are serving New Jersey as first responders. Among those were his predeceased brothers, Lawrence A. Rice, Chief of Middlesex County, NJ College Police Department; John S. Rice, Captain of the Elizabeth, NJ Fire Department. Son, John R. Rice Sr., (retired) Sergeant of the Summit, NJ. Police Department; son-in-law, John J. Shimansky, (retired) Port Authority of NY & NJ; and grandson John R. Rice Jr., Patrolman of the Piscataway, NJ Police Department. Jerry often was described as a true, “Cops-Cop” that left imprints of ‘on the job’ memories in the hearts of so many.

Jerry was a member of several organizations that included: Central Jersey Leathernecks of the Marine Corp League; Union County Emerald Society; Mountainside Honorary PBA#126; Mountainside Elks Club; Mountainside VFW; Union–Somerset County Police & Fire Association; American Legion of Scotch Plains and many other charitable organizations. He also supported the Union County St. Patrick’s Day Parade throughout the years. Jerry was proud of his Irish Heritage and enjoyed the St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, as well as eating corned beef and listening to Irish music!

Jerry's love for his country and the American flag was only overshadowed by the love and pride for his family. On April 30, 1966, Jerry married the love of his life, Audrey Rose, whom he endearingly referred to as ‘Red’. Together they built a life of love, and he lived for the moments he was able to be in the presence of his large, boisterous family that included the many, many grandchildren and great grandchildren he adored.

If he wasn’t with family you'd find Jerry at the pool hall ‘shooting the breeze’ with friends, having what he referred to as his "medicine" – a rum & coke – at Chrone's or Publick House, or having his cup of coffee among dear friends at the Mountainside Deli. He also loved TV and Jerry could often be found sitting in his chair with his TV guide watching anything with cops, guns, cowboys or comedy. He loved his music too and could often be found listening to Irish tunes, Jimmy Buffett, and ABBA.

Jerry was tough as nails and a fighter until the very end. He will be deeply missed by all. ‘Jer, Pop, Dad, Grandpa, Pop-Pop, Sarge, Mr. Rice’ – you will always, and FOREVER be our fiercely loving patriarch, hero, warrior, teacher, listener, best friend, father, grandfather and loving husband. We love you. We already miss you so much – until we meet again.

Jerry is survived by his wife, Audrey Rose. Daughters, Karen Ann Shimansky (John); Eileen Veronica. Sons, Joseph Robert; James Richard (Barbara); John Raymond; 21 grandchildren; 22 great-grandchildren; several nieces & nephews. He was preceded in death by his brothers, Lawrence A. Rice; John S. Rice, granddaughter, Kellie A. Shimansky and great granddaughter, Hope E. Rice. Sadly, due to the current national pandemic, Jerry's "Celebration of Life" gathering will be determined at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in his memory to: Wounded Warrior Project,, 877.832.6997, P.O. BOX 758517, Topkea, Kansas 66675

Rice, Thomas E.

Thomas E. Rice, 79, O'Hara, formerly of Glenshaw, died Wednesday, October 10, 2007, in Good Samaritan Hospice, Wexford. He was born November 8, 1927, in Crowder, Mississippi, to D.L. and Nannie Burnett Rice.  They preceded him in death.  He was also predeceased by his brother, Joel D. Rice, and sister, Bennye Maude Chatem.

Mr. Rice was the owner-operator of Custom Glass Corporation, Kittanning.  He was a Korean War Army sergeant who served in the 313th Engineer Utilities Detachment and received two Bronze Stars.  He was a member of Fox Chapel Presbyterian Church and the VFW.

He was the husband of Marion Cate Rice, and father of Thomas E. Rice Jr., of Overland Park, Kansas, Cynthia Jean (Clay M. Pickard, M.D.) Rice, M.D., of Chattanooga, Tennessee; Amanda Margurite Ingram, of Louisville, Kentucky; John M. (Heidi) Rice of Fox Chapel; and Robert L (Kathy) Rice, M.D., Ph.D., of Finksburg, Maryland.   He was also the brother of Richard E. Rice, M.D., of Huntsville, Alabama; David L. Rice Jr. of Tanner, Alabama; Walter R. Rice, D.V.M., of Cookeville, Tennessee; Elizabeth V. Bryant, of Maryville, Tennessee, and Marian Nell Meade, of Starkville, Mississippi.   He is also survived by eleven grandchildren and a great-granddaughter.

Visitation will be from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Kyper Funeral Home, 2702 Mt. Royal Blvd., Shaler, where services will be at 11 a.m. Monday in the chapel with the Rev. Dr. Dirk Lesnett officiating. Entombment will be in the Allegheny County Memorial Park Mausoleum, McCandless.

Rich, Eulie B.

Eulie B. Rich, 88, of Granite City, Illinois passed away at 7:45 p.m. on Monday, May 24, 2021 at his home with his family by his side.  He was born May 26, 1932 in Swainsboro, Georgia.  He married Wilma "Jeanie" (Markham) Rich on August 10, 1951 in Granite City and she survives.

He retired in 1995 as an Assistant General Foreman over maintenance after over 45 years of dedicated service with American Steel Foundry in Granite City.  The Korean War combat veteran proudly served his country with the United States Army.  Eulie loved God and his family and was a longtime faithful member of Calvary Life Church in Granite City.  He was always an encouragement to others and wanted peace throughout the world.  He was always tinkering with a project, could fix anything and was an expert with plumbing and was a talented machinist. Eulie will be remembered for caring completely, giving quietly and loving so deeply.

In addition to his beloved wife of nearly 70 years, he is survived by two daughters and sons-in-law, Debbie and Dan Brimer of Glen Carbon and Elizabeth and Jeff Connor of Granite City; five grandchildren and their spouses, Gregory and Mandy Brimer, Aaron and Elisabeth Brimer, Adam and Carolyn Connor, Rachel and Andy Ribbing and Hannah and Steven Trask; nine great grandchildren, Emma Brimer, Nora Connor, Blake Brimer, Amelia Brimer, Hudson Ribbing, Scarlett Trask, Beau Brimer, Bryan Connor and Esther Ribbing; many nieces; nephews; other extended family, his church family and a multitude of special friends.  He was preceded in death by his mother and stepfather, Macbelle (Rich) and Walter Curtis; a son, Dennis Rich; three brothers, James, Arlie and Charlie Rich and a sister, Myrtice Stearns. 

Burial with military honors was held at Sunset Hill Memorial Estates in Glen Carbon on May 29, 2021.  Memorials may be made to Calvary Life Church.

Richter, Albert Wayne

Albert Wayne Richter, 90, was born in Illinois October 26, 1932 and passed away on Tuesday, August 08, 2023. He was the second of eleven children born to George Ockett Richter and Alta Frances Fitch. He joined the United States Air Force and fought in the Korean War. He was married several times. Wayne and his wife Linda married in Las Vegas August 30, 1971.

He was predeceased by his parents, George and Frances Richter; siblings, John Richter, Jimmy Leo Richter, JayDee Richter, Mary Harrell, Georgia Schiwek, and Cecil Richter.
He is survived by Lora Noble, son, Todd and family, John Schiwek, Beth Smith and family, Bill Richter, Sandy, Lisa and Jeff, Cecil's family, Mary's family. His children from previous marriages, Joseph and Aleshia Durbin and family of Pana, Illinois, Michael and Diana Stanley and family, Box Elder of South Dakota, Patty Nelson Morgan (deceased) and family of South Dakota, Penny Addink of Nebraska, Linda and Walley Ackerman and family of Mission Hill, South Dakota, Kathryn and Ronnie Mayhue of Lincolnton, North Carolina, Michael and Jada Carlisle, Carmen, Kadi, Makenzie and Logan of Kings Mountain, North Carolina, US Army Captain Bryan and Samantha Carlisle and Phoebe of Fort Jackson, South Carolina, US Army, Jeremy and Catherine Carlisle, Kayla, Noah and Hunter of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

He was a beloved husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. He loved his children so very much. He is sorely missed and will remain in our hearts forever.

American Legion - Post 82 conducted Memorial Services on Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 4:00 PM along with the Honor Guard. Interment was held on Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 2:00 PM at Fort Jackson National Cemetery. 4170 Percival Road, Columbia, South Carolina 29229. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to AnAngelLady cash app or by check to be mailed to Linda Richter, 2136 Pinetop Dr. Shelby, North Carolina 28150.

Rigsby, Cecil Harding

Cecil Harding Rigsby, Col. USAF (Retired) took his final flight November 7, 2011 from Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. A loyal patriot, he served his country in the USAF for 33 years flying 339 reconnaissance combat missions in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. He retired as an expert and consultant in all aspects of tactical reconnaissance with 7000 flying hours.

A man of strong personal values, he devoted himself to his wife and family and was known as a mentor, counselor, favorite uncle and beloved husband, father and grandfather. Cecil loved to entertain his friends and attend reunions. He was an avid runner, who ran in cities all over the world, and a regular at the gym, inspiring many by his example. An active citizen, Cecil wrote numerous letters to Presidents, candidates, Governors and other officials offering his advice and pleading his causes. He was a founder of the North Austin Civic Association. He was honored by Governor Rick Perry when the Texas World War II Memorial was dedicated.

Born September 1, 1922 in Tallassee, Alabama, the youngest of eight children, Cecil became a Texan in 1924. He grew up in Dallas, graduated from Dallas Technical High School in 1940 and received the Best Citizenship Award. He enlisted in the 112th Cavalry Texas National Guard, transferring to the Army Air Corps in 1941 where he became one of the first Flying Sergeants. He received his officer's commission while serving in New Guinea during World War II with the 8th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron where he flew 91 combat missions in the P-38. On January 9, 1946 he became one of the first jet pilots in the U.S. Army Air Forces.

Cecil left military service briefly to do aerial photography for oil companies and the U.S. government in Midland, TX where he met and married Lorrenne Crisp on December 7, 1947.  He returned to the USAF in 1948. Cecil flew 100 combat recce missions in the RF80 and RF-86 in Korea in less than 4 months. He flew the first F-100's to Germany in 1955 where he was stationed at Bitburg for three years while flying reconnaissance missions over Soviet territory. From 1959 to 1964, he served at the Pentagon and earned a B.A. from University of Maryland and a Masters in International Affairs from George Washington Univ. He was a distinguished graduate of the Air War College in 1965 in Montgomery, Alabama. Cecil was stationed in Ramstein, Germany 1965-68 with 4 ATAF and at Shaw AFB in 1968-1970 where he served as Vice Commander. He flew 148 missions in the RF-101 and RF-4C in Vietnam in 1970-71.

Cecil retired in 1973 at Bergstrom AFB, Austin, Texas. His military awards include the Silver Star, two Legions of Merit, five Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Meritorious Service Medal, 12 air medals, two Commendation Medals, and many other.

Cecil worked for Northrop Corporation following his military retirement. He spent 4 years in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia in operations and training, and traveled extensively to other countries while working in marketing. He lived in Austin, TX until September 2010 when he and Lorrenne moved to the Army Residence Community in San Antonio.

He is survived by his daughters, Toni Rigsby of Atlanta, Georgia, Lisa Rigsby of Austin, Texas, and Lori Millner of Dallas, Texas; his grandsons, Russell Wilson, Michael Meyer, and Britt Little; and granddaughter, Claire Rigsby. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 63 years, Lorrenne Crisp Rigsby, who left us on June 7, 2011; his twin sons, Ensign Ronald Cecil Rigsby and Russell Claude Rigsby (infant); parents Mary Josephine and Calvin Rigsby; and his seven brothers and sisters.

A memorial service will be held at the Army Residence Community chapel, Saturday, November 19 at 1:00 PM . A graveside service will be held at Austin Memorial Cemetery on 2800 Hancock Drive, Austin, TX 78731, Sunday, November 20th at 2:00 PM. If any desire to give donations in his name, please give to either the charity of your choice or to the Christus St. Mary's Hospice office, 4241 Woodcock Rd. #A100, San Antonio TX 78228.

Riley, Charles A. "Chuck"

Charles A. "Chuck" Riley, LTC USAF (Ret.), age 83 of 23 Hamburg Mtn. Road died Friday, April 30, 2010. Charles was born August 8, 1926 in Sullivan County, Tennessee and was a career military officer before retiring to Weaverville in the 1970's. The officer was the son of the late Charles Andrew Riley and Marian Lee Null Riley.

Col. Charles A. Riley, USAF Retired, served with the Navy Amphibious Forces in the Pacific Theater during World War II (Iwo Jima) and the Army's 82nd Airborne Division after the war. He then transferred to the US Air Force in 1949 to attend Pilot School.

He flew aerial combat in Korea with the Air Rescue Service, then two tours in Vietnam in Air Commando Squadrons. He was a Master Parachutist and a Command pilot. After retiring from the military he worked with photography and was an alcohol and drug abuse counselor.

Surviving are his wife of 6l years, Vera "Kit" Young Riley; daughters, Sallye Riley Fox and husband Martin of Fairview and Kathryn Crawford and husband Chip of Sarasota, Fla.; son, William D. 'Bill" Riley and wife Pat of Bradenton, Fla.; sister, Ruth Ann Latham of Knoxville, Tenn.; grandchildren, Sloan Brigman, Kelly Waldrop, and Bridget Riley and great granddaughter, Haley Brigman.

Risher, Robert L. Sr.

Robert L. Risher, Sr., 78, of Linton, Indiana, passed away Wednesday, April 21, 2010, at the Bloomington Hospital. Bob was born on December 26, 1931, in Linton to George and Beulah (Risher) Wautelet. On July 1, 1955, he married Barbara D. Hubble.

Bob served in the US Army during the Korean War. He later worked for the General Electric Plant in Linton as a foreman and security guard, accumulating over thirty years of service before retiring in 1991. He was a member of the Frank Courtney American Legion Post #22.

Survivors include: a daughter, Pam (Bobby) Houston of Linton; three grandchildren, Haylee Houston, Cain (Tomi) Cooksey, both of Linton, and Zachary Risher of Bloomington; one brother, Dave Wautelet of Mesa, Arizona; and one sister, Sue (Dale) Goddard of Linton. His stepmother, Dolores Wautelet of Linton, also survives.

Bob was preceded in death by: his parents; his wife, Barbara Risher, in 1996; his son, Robert Risher, Jr., in December 2009; one grandson, Jefferson Robert Risher; and one sister, Nancy Wautelet.

Funeral services will be held at the Anderson-Poindexter Memory Chapel on Saturday, April 24, 2010, at 11:00 a.m. with Rev. David Tyra officiating. Interment will follow at Fairview Cemetery with Frank Courtney American Legion Post #22 giving honor with full Military Graveside Rites.

Rivali, John Frank

John Frank Rivali of Raton, died on February 24, 2012. A golden heart stopped beating and hard working hands were laid to rest. Our Heavenly Father and the angels from above summoned our husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, brother and uncle to a life that would change but to a life that would never end.

Frank was born in Raton to Clarence Rivali, Sr. and Celestina Casias. In 1950 he joined the US Air Force and after training at Lackland AFB in Texas and Forbes AFB in Kansas and Lowrey AFB in Colorado he was assigned to Korea to The 49th Tactical Fighter Wing and served in Korea and Japan, he was honorably discharged in 1954. While in Korea he received the Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal and The Republic of South Korea Service Medal.

Frank was a member of the St. Patrick's/St. Joseph's Parish, the Knights of Columbus and served as Grand Knight of the Third Degree and Faithful Navigator of the Fourth Degree. He was a life member of the VFW Post 1793 and served four years as Post Commander and served as State Commander in 2000-2001.

Frank was always ready and willing to help people in need, he will be sadly missed by all he came in contact with. Frank was preceded in death by his parents; first wife Carmen and grandson Ryan Kelly. He is survived by his wife Barbara Ann of the family home; son Kelly (Peggy) of Clovis; daughters Roberta Niemi (Bob) of Albuquerque, Barbara Ramirez (Wendall) of San Antonio, TX, Antoinette Rivali of Salida, CO and Lorena of Colorado. Also surviving are five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; mother-in-law Isabel Ortega; step-daughter Isabel Atencio; sons-in-law Mario (Brina) and Fernando (Crystal), all of Raton, NM; brothers C. Morgan (Gladys) of Albuquerque, Richard of San Antonio, TX, Eugene (Linda) of Fremont, NE, Robert (Helen) of Victorville, CA; sister Mary Frances Duffy of Torrance, CA. Also surviving are numerous nephews, nieces and cousins.

Rosary will be held on Tuesday, February 28th at 7:00 pm and the Mass will be at 10:00 am on Wednesday, February 29th, both services will be held at St. Joseph-St. Patrick Parish. Interment will be at a later date. Arrangements by Alderette-Pomeroy Funeral Home in Raton, NM, 575-445-3757,

Roberson, Guy C.

Guy Roberson
(Click picture for a larger view)

Guy C. Roberson entered into eternal rest Friday, August 6, 2004. A memorial service was held at J. Henry Stuhr North Area Chapel, North Charleston, South Carolina, Friday, August 13, 2004 at ten o clock. Internment followed in Beaufort National Cemetery at two o clock.

Born August 28, 1927 in Birmingham, Alabama, Mr. Roberson was the son of the late Henry David and Rose Lee Petty Roberson. He was preceded in death by his sister Joy R Sellers.

He was a veteran of the US Marine Corps and served during World War II and the Korean War. Mr. Roberson was a member of The Chosin Few, the VFW and was awarded the Purple Heart, a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and numerous other awards and citations. He was also a member of the Shriners, Scottish Rite, and was a 32-Degree Mason. Surviving Mr. Roberson are a daughter, Joy Cornelius of Tuscaloosa, Alabama; two grandchildren, Ashley Cornelius of Tuscaloosa, AL, Brandy Strickland and husband Ben Strickland of Oxford, AL; two great grandsons, Andrew and Adam Strickland; a sister, Ann Collins of Oxford, Alabama; and several nieces and nephews.

He was always proud to be a Marine and hung the Marine Corps flag on the front of his home every day, including the day he passed away. He is deeply missed by his daughter and granddaughters.

Roberts, Joseph N.

Joseph N. Roberts, 78, a longtime Wilbraham resident, died Saturday, March 13, 2010, in Baystate Medical Center.  He was born in Ludlow, Massachusetts on June 3, 1931, son of the late George and Alice (Talbot) Roberts. During the Korean War, Joe proudly served his country as a Private E-1 in the United States Army. He was the recipient of several awards for his service including the Korean Service Medal with 2 Bronze Stars, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, and the United Nations Service Medal.

Following his military service, Joe worked for Monsanto Chemical Company, first as a chemical operator, and then retiring as a shift supervisor for the company. He also served the Town of Wilbraham as a Commissioner for Glendale Cemetery and as a member of the Wilbraham Cable TV Advisory Committee. He was also an avid gardener, and loved to work the land that was such a part of his life.

He was the husband of the late Margaret G. "Peggy" Roberts, his loved and cherished wife of over 50 years, who died March 8, 2010. He is survived by his children, Joseph M. Roberts of Voluntown, CT, James Roberts of Ludlow, MA, Greg Roberts, Michael Roberts, and Sharon Lee and her husband Chuck, all of Wilbraham, MA.  He was the cherished grandfather of four and brother of Diane Farley of East Longmeadow, MA.

Funeral services celebrating his life will be Tuesday, March 23 at 10 a.m. in Grace Union Church, 10 Chapel St., Wilbraham, MA.  Rev. David Hurst will officiate, followed by military honors. Family and friends may call at the Kapinos-Mazur Funeral Home, 64 Sewall St., Ludlow, on March 22 from 5-8 p.m. Donations in his memory may be made to The Korean War Educator Fund C/O Lynnita J. Brown, 111 E. Houghton St., Tuscola, IL 61953, or at  For further information, directions and on line guest book, please visit

Letter from Sharon Roberts Lee to the Korean War Educator, May 12, 2010:

Thank you so much for the correspondence concerning my dad, Joe Roberts.  When looking at the 78 years he lived, his wartime was a mere speck.  Yet the memories never went away.  Some remember high school locker combinations, while he remembered his rifle serial number.  Some see Veterans Day as a day off, but he saw it as a time to remember those lost in the wars.  Some take America for granted, while he never did.  Over the years he must have put thousands of hours into thanking, remembering, and speaking to veterans, placing flags at the graves and helping in the ways he could.  He never forgot.

I have heard many stories but two have stayed with me, will never leave, and will always remind me how lucky I am to have people like my dad there to protect us.  Over 30 years ago Dad was in an explosion at work.  He was in a doorway and was blown out--the only way he could have survived.  While that would normally be a traumatic experience, he never really mentioned that moment.  All he spoke about was the grenades in Korea--how the blast sounded like one. 

The other was about his hate for JuJuBees.  He said candy of all types would be given out to the troops but by the time they made it to the front line only those were left.  The men who should have had filet mignon candies received the chuck steak ones instead.  He never ate that candy again.

The horror these men and women went through is beyond my comprehension and I thank you and all others that help them find solace and peace.  Thank you, Sharon Roberts Lee.

Robertson, Rev. Wilbert David

The Rev. Wilbert Robertson, a pastor and member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate Sioux tribe who based church buildings on Indian reservations in South and North Dakota, died on November 25, 2020, at an assisted dwelling middle in Roslyn, South Dakota. He was 86. The trigger was Covid-19, his daughter Ruth Hopkins mentioned.  Mr. Robertson turned a born-again Christian within the Air Force whereas stationed in Thailand throughout the Vietnam War. He returned to South Dakota in 1972, to the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, the place the Standing Rock Bible Church in McLaughlin wanted a pastor; they took Mr. Robertson on regardless of his lack of expertise. Having discovered his calling, he went on to attend Mokahum Indian Bible School in Cass Lake, Minnesota, and Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri. A Baptist missionary in search of a Native American pastor to begin a church within the Lake Traverse Reservation in Sisseton, South Dakota, had heard a couple of Sioux pastor with a present for preaching — Mr. Robertson — and recruited him. Along together with his spouse, Judith, whom he married in 1961, he opened a church in Sisseton in a cellular house in 1979. He helped construct a everlasting constructing together with his personal arms, and the church, now referred to as the First Baptist Church of Sisseton, remains to be going robust. Mr. Robertson established two extra Baptist church buildings on reservations over the following decade — Dakota Baptist on the Spirit Lake Nation Reservation and Bethany Baptist, additionally in Lake Traverse. After main the two church buildings for almost 30 years, he retired from the ministry in 2018. He additionally served as a tribal choose and district chairman for the Sisseton-Wahpeton tribe.

Wilbert David Robertson was born on March 21, 1934, in Fort Totten, North Dakota, the son of Jeremiah and Mabel (Keeble) Robertson. His father, a World War I veteran, discovered odd jobs throughout the Great Depression, and his mom raised seven youngsters. When he was four, Wilbert, like his siblings, was pressured to go to a boarding college in Fort Totten. Many Native American youngsters have been forcibly taken to such faculties with the purpose of assimilating them into white tradition. Children had their hair lower and needed to converse English. Those caught talking of their native tongues have been punished. Beginning within the late 19th century, the federal authorities operated about 100 of those faculties; they final closed in 1973. When Wilbert’s lengthy hair was lower, he developed a cow lick. The cow lick earned him the nickname Jiggs, after a personality, whose hair stood straight up, within the fashionable comedian e-book and flicks “Jiggs and Maggie.” “He was very vivid, an avid reader,” his daughter mentioned in a telephone interview. “He needed to be to outlive the boarding college.” Graduating a year early, in 1952, he hitchhiked to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and enlisted within the Air Force, the place he turned a fighter jet mechanic. He finally turned a crew chief and served in East Asia towards the top of the Korean War; he served in an analogous capability throughout the Vietnam War. After leaving the service, he labored at a leper colony in Cambodia for a time earlier than returning to the United States.
Along with daughter Ms. Hopkins, he’s survived by his spouse; one other daughter, Linda Miller; two half sisters, Brenda Azure and Barbara Robertson; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. “My life is crammed with reminiscences of him sacrificing for others,” Ms. Hopkins mentioned. “Children from our prolonged household have been taken in, and he and my mom helped increase them. I keep in mind folks coming to the home asking for recommendation. If they have been in hassle, they might go to him.” - Posted on

Rockwell, Lloyd H. "Diddy"

Col. Lloyd H. "Diddy" Rockwell (Ret.), 80, of Paso Robles, California, died Tuesday, July 27, 1982 at the Vandenberg AFB, California hospital.  He is buried in the Paso Robles District Cemetery, Paso Robles, California.

He was born on July 16, 1902 and raised in Council Bluffs, Iowa.  He was working in the city engineer's office when he enlisted in the early 1930s in the National Guard.  He was nearly 40 years old when he entered Army duty in World War II with the 34th Division when the National Guard was mobilized.  He was sent to Ireland, Scotland and England for schooling.  He took part with other Iowa troops in the invasion of Africa and fought throughout the African campaign, then in Sicily and Italy.  He became a lieutenant colonel in a battlefield promotion at Benevento, Italy.

In 1949 he was attached to the U.S. Military Advisory Group (KMAG) in Korea for the second phase of his military career and served there two tours of duty.  His contribution to the war effort in Korea earned him admiration from the South Koreans.  They honored him with a monument bearing his name in Chanju, Korea.  It was the first monument erected to a foreign soldier.  He was also the recipient of the Legion of Merit award which is second only to the Medal of Honor.  He had aided the 11th ROK First Division in a guerilla cleanup campaign.

He rose from the rank of private to full colonel during his span of service.  He retired in 1960.  After his retirement he resided for many years in Paso Robles.

An article about Rockwell and "Rocky's Ridge Running Raiders" appeared in the Council Bluffs Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, Iowa, on Wednesday, November 17, 1943, page 5.

Rodarte, Paul

Word about the passing of Paul Rodarte ("C" Company, 7th Marines, Korea) this week came from Charles McKellar (7th Marine website) on August 31, 2005.  Paul's last known address was P.O. Box 482, Fallon, NV 89407-0482.  Phone 775-423-5494.  Paul's funeral was scheduled for September 1, 2005.

Rodgers, Paul Stephen

Paul Stephen Rodgers, 94, passed away on March 26, 2023, of natural causes, lovingly surrounded by his family. Paul was born on October 6, 1928, in Lakewood, New Jersey to Marie and Bertram Rodgers. He graduated from Loyola High School, Los Angeles, California, and from the University of California Berkeley with a degree in Electrical Engineering.

Paul then went on to study at the Officers Candidate School in Newport Rhode Island and became a Commissioned Officer in Research and Development, specializing in Decoding. He served in the Navy and spent time on the USS Rochester and USS St Paul. He was tasked with intelligence gathering in the Korean War.

When he returned to San Francisco, California he met and married the love of his life, Joan Marie Cox in 1957. They were happily married over 65 years. He worked at several large data system companies, including Ampex, before he landed on a career as an Electronic Manufacturing Representative. He then started his own business, Rodgers & Associates in 1973. He loved being his own boss and didn't retire until the age 85!

Paul made everyone in his life feel special, because they were special to him. He listened and was pleasant with anyone he encountered who crossed his path. He was known for his towering kindness and endless generosity, along with his incredible quick wit. He was also an avid tennis player and loved to perform magic tricks for his grandchildren.

Paul is survived by his spouse Joan Rodgers; children: Stephen (Stacie) Rodgers of Campbell, California, Michael Rodgers of Santa Clara, California, Christine (Todd) Lachman of San Rafael, California; grandchildren: Scott (MacKenzie), Samantha, Kyle, Paul and Isabella. great-grandchildren: Nash, Remington, Beckett.

There will be a Mass celebrating his life on April 22, 2023, held at St. Joseph of Cupertino. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made in his name to Sutter Care at Home, a hospice organization. Sutter Care at Home, PO Box 160045, Sacramento, California 95816.

Published by Mercury News from April 20 to April 22, 2023.

Rodriguez, Frank Jr.

Born in Brighton, Colorado, Mr. Rodriguez died March 23, 1988.  He was a career U.S. Army soldier and Korean and Vietnam War veteran.  Upon retiring he resided with his family in Trinidad, CO.  He is survived by his wife, four sons, and three daughters.

Rogers, Guy S.

My grandfather, Guy S. Rogers passed away February 8, 1999 in South Carolina. He was a great man, who loved his family dearly. He also believed in the power of the United States Marine Corps and everything they stood for on this earth.

[Posted 12/24/06 at the request of his very proud granddaughter, Christy Thornsberry]

Rogger, Rodney

Rodney Rogger, 89, of Belleville, Illinois, passed away Friday, November 29, 2021 at Memorial Hospital.  Private cremation services were held.

Rodney was born October 21, 1934 in Belleville, the son of William and Anna Sarlouis Rogger.  He was preceded in death by his parents; loving wife of 50 years, Joyce Cannady Rogger; and infant daughter, Tracie Rogger.

Rodney served in the Korean War in the US Army's 25th Infantry Division (Tropical Lightning), receiving a Bronze Star for valor and a Purple Heart.  As an educator, Rodney taught 31 years at Cahokia School District 187.

Surviving are his son, Michael (Shelley) Rogger; two daughters, Sheri (Phil) Tadlock and Nancy (Greg) Brooks; four grandchildren, Brad (Tanya) Tadlock, Rebecca (Jeff) Tadlock-Marlo, Eric (Holly) Brooks, and Katie Brooks; and three great grandchildren, Carter and Ella Tadlock and Rogger Jackson Marlo.

Romano, William J. "Bill" Jr.

William (Bill) J. Romano Jr. of San Jose, California, sadly passed away on December 24, 2022, at the age of 92. He was surrounded by his loving family.

Bill was born on October 12, 1930, in San Jose to William Joseph Romano Sr. and Alice Savory Romano. He graduated from Bellarmine College Preparatory in 1949. After high school, Bill joined the Air Force and proudly served for four years during the Korean War. Later, he went on to graduate from Santa Clara University with a bachelor's degree in English.

In 1961, Bill married Donna McGann in San Jose, and together they had two children: William (Bill) Romano III and Lauren Romano-Brethauer. He is survived by his wife, Donna; son Bill and daughter-in-law Sue; daughter Lauren and son-in-law Tim; and four grandsons who truly adored him: Matt Romano (29), Colin Romano (27), Gabriel Brethauer (24) and Jack Brethauer (20). His grandsons were his pride and joy. Bill was preceded in death by his parents, William and Alice; his brother, Edward S. Romano; and his sisters, Wilma Blinn and Jane Lockwood.

For 39 years, Bill was a dedicated reporter for the San Jose Mercury News, covering local crime and captivating his audience with detailed updates on high-profile cases in the courts. In 1986, he received awards, along with two colleagues, for his groundbreaking work on a series of articles called "No Place to Die," which exposed longstanding abuse and 126 deaths in numerous nursing homes.

Bill was not one to be idle. Whether it be working in the yard, playing tennis, traveling, going to the movies or enjoying the family cabin in Boulder Creek, he liked keeping busy. After retiring from the Mercury News at the age of 71, Bill went on to work at Smythe European and Enterprise Rent-A-Car as a courtesy driver. He charmed his passengers with his cheerful personality and engaging conversations. He finally officially retired at the age of 89 in March of 2020, but only with reluctance due to the COVID pandemic. He spent his last few years enjoying quality time with family. He will be remembered for his incredible sense of humor and for being one of the nicest guys anyone could ever meet. He is surely missed.

Services were held at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 4, at St. Clare's Church at 725 Washington St. in Santa Clara. In lieu of flowers, the family requested donations be made in Bill's name to Bellarmine College Preparatory, 960 W. Hedding Street, San Jose, California 95126.

Rounds, David

I am trying to locate a Korean War buddy (or his family members) from Tokyo who was in the "Corn Tones" band that I was in and performed with 1951-52 in hospitals, orphanages, and for fellow soldiers.  We were members of the 71st Battalion during this time.  David was older than me and a Lieutenant with the Special Services at the time.  He was a World War II veteran and was from San Luis Obispo, CA.  His nickname was "Pappy."  Our band played what was then called "Hillbilly" music.  I have a picture of our band.

Contact: John (Jack) A. Diamond, Savannah, GA.  E-mail

Rowan, Carroll Glen

Carroll Glen Rowan, 93, of Millstadt, Illinois, having led a productive and honorable life, boarded a heaven-bound train on Monday, April 18, 2022, departing his Millstadt residence for the last time. Carroll never wasted one God-given breath of life upon his entrance to the world on Thursday, December 27, 1928, in Makanda, Illinois. He counted himself more than lucky to grow to adulthood and marry the love of his life, Mary Violet Burris, on January 21, 1956. Sixty-four years of building a life together, creating a home and raising their family represented the best of life for Carroll.

Familiar with hard work and a desire to carve out a family oasis, Carroll was an avid gardener who was able to grow anything and everything. He literally had two green thumbs! Farm to table before it was a fad, a good cup of coffee, endless bird-watching, petting his favorite dog, and beautiful daily views of changing seasons fed his body and soul. If you had a question about Nature, he knew the answer and was delighted to share it. Carroll also loved fishing, especially on the Mississippi River or at Kentucky Lake.

To his children, Becky and Steven, Dad or Daddy, was a character larger than life. He was there to bathe, feed, cuddle, and entertain them as babes. As they grew he took them fishing, on Florida vacations, and even bought a woods and creek for their playground. Known as “Poppy” to his grandkids and family, he was always quick with a joke or a prank, or a tidbit of advice. All children gathered around Poppy. They loved his stories, gentle teases, his funny made up songs, and best of all – his listening to their stories and dreams. They also knew if he said “no,” he meant it; though most kids knew instinctively to be on their best behavior in his company. He found ways for his own children’s dreams and his dreams to mingle and grow through the horses, cattle, rabbits, and other adventures on the farm. A friend to all animals in the area, it is no surprise that if there was a toad trying to get away from the lawn mower, Poppy stopped and rescued him; a baby bird out of the nest, Poppy put him back in; or a turtle crossing the road – not to worry if Poppy was around. When he wasn’t with his family, an animal or in the garden, he worked his job, retiring as a clerk for Missouri Pacific Railroad and Union Pacific Railroad.

His grandsons, Alex and Brendan, benefitted from Poppy’s lifelong commitment to nurturing positive character traits in children, teaching useful skills and imparting the idea to work hard and play hard. And Carroll felt himself exceedingly rich to be a father and a grandfather, leaving a beautiful legacy of love behind. In addition to such a full life, Carroll also served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, and was a member of First Congressional Church in Dupo, IL.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Mary Violet Burris Rowan; parents, Heber Lee and Myrtle Ferrill Rowan; brother, Robert Rowan; and sister, Louise Giden

Surviving are his sister, Ginny Stone of Greenville, Illinois; children, Steven G. Rowan of Saint Peters, Missouri, Rebecca (Joseph) Androff of Belleville, Illinois; and grandchildren, Alex Androff and Brendan Androff.

Memorials: Parkinson’s found Carroll to be a formidable opponent as a valiant warrior in battle against this disease. Memorials may be made to the Parkinson’s Foundation to continue the fight for him and many others. Funeral: Private family interment at Rowan Cemetery, Makanda, Illinois will be officiated by Rev. Janice L. Ringenberg, who called Carroll “Dad,” as he and Mary thought of her as a second daughter. Services: Public celebration of life will be held at a later date.

Rowell, Kenneth George

Life time resident of the Nyacks, New York, Kenneth George Rowell, died peacefully on June 27, 2012 surrounded by his family at Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, New York after a lengthy illness. Ken was 79 years old. He was born on October 28, 1932 to Helen M. (Goldbach Phillips) and Mervin L. Rowell in Central Nyack.

Ken attended Liberty Street Elementary School in Nyack and Nyack High School. After his high school graduation in 1950, he enlisted in the United States Army during the Korean War. Ken served three years until he was honorably discharged in 1953. Upon return from the service, he began a thirty-four year career with the Nyack branch of the United States Postal Service. In addition to his career as a letter carrier, Ken simultaneously earned his Associates Degree and began a second career as a computer operator at Becton Dickinson and Company in Orangeburg, New York until he retired in 1992.

In April of 1958 he married the love of his life Rose Marie Barone. Ken is survived by his wife Rose, his son Kenn of NYC, his daughter Jennifer of Nyack, his daughter Marirose and son-in-law Fred of Tappan and his two beloved grandchildren Emily and Freddie and many loving nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents, his brother Mervin K. (Bud) and his sisters Muriel, Inid, Virginia, Adele, Jean and Wanda. Ken also maintained a life-long correspondence with his many beloved cousins in Iowa.

Ken was a loving husband, an exceptional father and a phenomenal grandfather. While not doting on his grandchildren, he enjoyed (endured) watching the Mets and Jets. Ken was an avid music fan with his favorites being cool jazz and big bands. He was a cross word puzzle enthusiast and a life-long American History buff.

Visiting hours will be held on Sunday, July 1st from 2pm-4pm and 7pm-9pm at Hannemann Funeral Home, Inc. in Nyack. A mass of Christian Burial will be held at St. Ann’s R.C. Church in Nyack on Monday, July 2nd at 10 am. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his memory to the American Lung Association of the Northeast, 460 Totten Pond Road Suite 400, Waltham, MA 02451.

Rowley, Arden Allen

Arden Allen Rowley, age 89, touched the lives of thousands as a father, brother, soldier, teacher, veteran, and grandfather. He was born 9 June 1930 in Phoenix, Arizona, the third child of Edwin Jesse Rowley and Rosilla Allen. He passed away peacefully in the sunroom of his beloved home of 56 years on 14 June 2019. (All who knew Dad will understand the significance of his passing on Flag Day.)

Arden's family moved back to Mesa soon after he was born, where he resided the rest of his life. He graduated from Mesa Union High School in 1948, and soon after enlisted in the US Army. Arden's unit was sent to Korea when war broke out there, and he was taken prisoner 30 November 1950, spending 33 months in several Communist Chinese prison camps. His time as a POW was perhaps the second-most defining experience of his life.

The first-most began eleven days after his return to Mesa when he met Ruth Martin, and they married two months later on 25 November 1953. They celebrated 57 loving years together, criss-crossing this country they so loved, attending family and military reunions, visiting religious and national historic sites, and doing family history research, before Ruth's untimely death from cancer in 2011.

Arden was preceded in passing by both parents, his sisters Lois Shepherd, Elaine Baker, and Joanne Adair, his brother Duane Rowley, and his beloved daughter Kristi Rowley Sherwood. Arden is survived by his youngest brother Lynn Tenney, his sons Steven Arden Rowley, Bradley Martin Rowley, and Scott Allen Rowley, and by 18 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren.

Arden was active in several veterans' organizations, including the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion Association, the Korean War Veterans Association, and the Korean War ExPOW Association, and was inducted into the Arizona Veterans Hall of Fame in 2004. He published five books about the Korean War, including his autobiographical Korea-POW: A Thousand Days With Life On Hold. He made eight return trips to Korea from 1994 through 2017.

Nearly all the furniture in Arden and Ruth's much-loved home was built in his legendary workshop, and he enjoyed serving in many and varied callings in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He also retired from teaching 31 years in the Mesa Public Schools in 1989.

Minutes after Dad's passing, his family lowered to half-mast the American flag which has flown over his front yard veterans' memorial for many years; it will remain so for the duration. Arden will be laid to rest with full military honors in Mesa Cemetery on Saturday, 22 June after a 10 AM farewell service at the LDS Solomon chapel, located at 977 E. Broadway in Mesa. Visitation will be the evening of Friday, 21 June, from 6-8 PM at the Bunker's Garden Chapel at 33 N. Centennial Way in Mesa, and the day of the service from 9-9:30 AM at the Solomon building. Any veterans and active duty personnel can join his honor guard in pausing at 12:00 noon Mountain Standard Time and offering a silent salute.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." (George S. Patton).

Published in The Arizona Republic on Jun. 19, 2019.

Roy, Laurence J.

Laurence J. Roy (Army) passed away in Atlanta, Georgia, September 17, 2005, nineteen days after he had evacuated New Orleans, his home since birth.

Ruelle, Rose Joan

Rose Joan Ruelle, a decorated Korean War Veteran, passed away peacefully on January 25, 2012 at the age of 80.  She was the beloved wife of the late Barney who predeceased her in 1999. Loving mother of Bernie (Cindy) Ruelle and Jerry (Lisa) Ruelle. Dear grandmother of Neil, Scott, Mark and Brandon Ruelle.

The family will receive friends for a Visitation on Sunday, January 29, 2012 from 3-8pm at the Harry J. Will Funeral Home - Redford Chapel which is on the north side of Plymouth Road just east of Beech Daly.

The funeral service will be at 11 am Monday, January 30, 2012 with a final viewing from 10-11 am at Grace Lutheran Church on Grand River Avenue east of Beech Daly in Redford where she and her family have been active members since 2000.

Rose will be laid to rest next to her husband with Committal Prayers and Funeral Honors from The United States Army and The American Legion funeral honors teams in Glen Eden Lutheran Memorial Park Cemetery, Livonia, Michigan. The services will be led by Reverend Timothy P. Halboth and Reverend Dr. Victor F. Halboth.

Memorial Donations may be made in Rose's honor to:
Grace Lutheran Church
25630 Grand River Ave.
Redford Twp., Michigan 48240

Ruhle, Philip G.

On March 28, 2023, Phil Ruhle died peacefully at his home with his wife of 60 years by his side. Phil was born in San Diego, grew up in La Jolla, and graduated from Monrovia High School just as the Korean War was beginning. Eventually he enlisted in the Air Force, where he became the radio operator on a B-17 rescue aircraft. 

Interested in mechanical engineering, he graduated from Cal Poly Pomona in 1961. He was employed by three companies in the Bay Area, most notably Westinghouse Marine Division. During his years at Westinghouse he was awarded two patents and graduated from Santa Clara University with a Master's degree in engineering. Phil became a registered professional engineer.

He was a lifetime member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. An amateur winemaker for 50 years and an avid bicyclist, Phil was also a voracious reader and enjoyed traveling to many countries. For several years he volunteered with the California Trolley and Railroad Corporation. Phil was a quiet and thoughtful man who had a quick wit and an amazing sense of humor. His was a life well-lived and he will be sorely missed.

He is survived by his wife, Nancy, daughter Kristin, and son Brad.A private Celebration of Life is planned for May.

Published by Mercury News from April 14 to April 16, 2023.

Rusk, Dr. Richard A. (Lt. Col. USA Ret.)

Dr. Richard A. Rusk, Lt. Col. US Army (Ret.), of Highlands Ranch, Colorado, died peacefully at home on February 21, 2019, holding the hand of Elizabeth, his wife of 55 years. He was 88.

Rusk was born in June of 1930 in Kansas City, Kansas. He was the son of Harold A. Rusk and Bess (Wynn) Rusk Lawson. Early hardship shaped his later resilience, his father died of a brain tumor when Rusk was barely a year old. He grew up during the Great Depression, had a goat for his first pet, fished, flew kites and played the accordion.

Bess married Herbert C. Lawson when Rusk was four and they moved to Independence, MO. Richard “Dick” attended William Chrisman High School where he excelled as a student and a rifle marksman in ROTC. He achieved the rank of Eagle Scout at age 17 and was a member of the tribe of Mic-O-Say.

After graduation, Dick joined the army and began a long and distinguished career that included the Korean War and two tours of Vietnam. He was a paratrooper in Korea and fought in the pivotal battle of Wonju. He then attended flight school and was a pilot from 1951 to 1968, flying single engine, twin engine instrument and his favorite - helicopters. He made Captain by age 23, married, moved to Europe and had his first child. Three more children followed while the family moved from Germany to Fort Riley, KS; Fort Bragg, NC; and Fort Monmouth, NJ. He was married to Louise Slyter from 1952 to 1961.

He had not heard of Vietnam when he received orders to go there. After returning stateside, he went back to school and was part of “Operation Bootstrap” where he was given a year off duties to complete a college degree. At the University of Nebraska Omaha, he met army nurse Elizabeth “Liz” Sandness, who was also completing a degree. They were married just before Christmas, December 14th, in 1963 and took a honeymoon cruise ship to Europe. Stationed in Frankfurt, Dick was engaged in flying operations in support of theater level intelligence functions and took classes at night through the University of Southern California in Aerospace Management. He said it was a major breakthrough in his intellectual development.

Dick returned to Vietnam in 1966 as a Lt. Colonel with a new approach to intelligence collection and people-oriented management applications. There he commanded an aviation unit of 200 pilots, 1300 technical specialists, and over 80 aircraft located at five airfield complexes. The unit was cited for the significance of its contribution with a Meritorious Unit Commendation. Rusk also received the Distinguished Flying Cross, Legion of Merit, Air Medal with Seven Oak Leaf Clusters, and Commendation Medal during his time in the service.

He retired from the army in 1968, completed his masters (Systems Management) at USC, and turned his talents to the aerospace industry for five years, working for Lockheed on the L-1011 Tri-Star and anti-submarine aircraft that his son later flew in the Navy. But his quest for learning continued and Dick entered the doctoral program at Case Western Reserve University becoming the first Ph.D. (Organizational Behavior) in the family in 1980. He went on to teach graduate level courses as an Associate Professor for USC Systems Management, Case Western in the Department of Family Medicine, and the University of Denver. Rusk retired from teaching in 1992.

Dick and Liz enjoyed a life rich in travel and experience, lived in California and overseas for a considerable time and settled in Denver in the early 1990s. They joined Saint Peter Lutheran Church and were active members. Dick loved to fish, tied his own flies, was a member of the High Plains Drifters, and took annual angling trips to Minnesota, even appearing on the brochure for the resort. He was happy to share his love of fishing with family and friends, so teaching continued with tips and tricks. He volunteered for the American Red Cross and taught 55 Drive Alive courses. He also liked golf, coin collecting, growing roses and college football.

Richard Rusk was preceded in death by his parents, an infant older brother and his sister, Bonne R. Lawson. He is survived by his wife Liz of the home, three daughters: Rachel (Brian) Kaslaitis, Eudora, KS; Ramona (Bob) Kessel, Greenbelt, MD; Rebecca Rusk, Atlanta, GA; and one son: Randy (Laurie) Rusk, Exeter, RI. Dick had nine grandchildren: Austin (Carrie) Roberts, Manhattan, KS; Todd Roberts (Michelle Meyer), Columbia, MO; Sarah Kessel (Nick DeLong), Washington, DC; Ellen Kessel (Nick Day) Portland, OR; Marie Carroll (Matt), Atlanta, GA; Xander Lim, Atlanta, GA; Olivia Lim, Denver, CO; Roy and Ellie Rusk, Exeter, RI. There are two great grandchildren: Carl Roberts, Manhattan, KS; and Lawrence Richard Carroll, Atlanta, GA. Dick also is survived by his cousin Dorothy (Wynn) Bissell, Independence, MO, who was like a sister to him, cousins and extended family, plus his cat Rascal.

Services will be held at 9 am at Saint Peter Lutheran Church, 9300 East Belleview Avenue, Englewood, CO on Tuesday March 5th, with burial following at Fort Logan National Cemetery, Lakewood, CO. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the Wounded Warrior Project, Boy Scouts of America, Saint Peter Lutheran Church or a charity of your choice in his name.

Rust, Robert Page

Robert P. Rust, a longtime Greensburg [Indiana] resident, died March 28, 2020 at his home in Morning Breeze Retirement Center and Health Care. He was 88. He was among Decatur County's first victims of COVID-19. Rust was diagnosed with double pneumonia days before his death. He was treated with antibiotics and improved briefly before his condition worsened. He was tested for the novel coronavirus the day before he died. The results of the coronavirus test came back positive after his death.

He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Rita (Navarra) Rust, also a resident at Morning Breeze. Robert was born Aug. 20, 1931, in Greensburg to Oskar D. and Zita Mae (Scheidler) Rust. Robert moved with his family to Cincinnati in 1938, attending St. Catherine's grade school while his father worked various sales jobs during the Great Depression. His family moved to the farm owned by Zita Mae's mother, Mrs. Frank (Christina) Scheidler, just outside the old Greensburg city limits, in 1946, a year before he departed for prep school. Robert attended high school at his father's alma mater in northwest Arkansas, Subiaco Academy, operated by the Benedictine monks of Subiaco Abbey. 

Following ROTC training at Notre Dame, Robert served in the Army starting in 1953, with basic training at Fort Benning (Georgia). He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant and served in the infantry at Fort Leavenworth (Kansas) before returning to Greensburg with an honorable discharge in 1955, joining the family retail and wholesaling businesses. After his father's sudden death in 1965, Rust took over the family businesses: Rust and Sons, a wholesale supplier to retail stores from Iowa to Tennessee, and the Fair Store, a variety retailer. His brothers and sister-in-law later joined him at Rust and Sons, eventually renaming it Rust Wholesale in 1985. Robert retired in 1998.

At Subiaco, Robert excelled at sports. He led Subiaco's football team to an 11-1 season as its star fullback, losing only in the final state championship game to Little Rock High, the state's largest high school. He graduated in 1949. Following his first year at Notre Dame in 1950, he met Rita Marie Faith Navarra, the daughter of Philip and Prudence Navarra. They married in September 1953. At Notre Dame, Robert continued to play sports, competing on the interhall tackle football team. 

Robert was a lifelong member of St. Mary's Parish in Greensburg. He helped found the St. Mary's Parish Council in 1968, serving on it for several years, as well as teaching classes into the 2010s.

In 2012 he won the Indiana Right to Life's Lifetime Achievement Award for his work with Decatur County Right to Life, where he also served as president. Robert was a man of great faith, and he was also a dedicated philanthropist. He was president of the holding company set up to finance the $4.5 million required to complete the construction of Greensburg High School. From 1973 to 1988 he served on YMCA's board of directors, co-chairing a capital campaign that netted $750,000.

In addition to Rita, he is survived by his four children: David, 65; Diane, 64; Mark, 62; and Martin, 61; as well as 10 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. He is also survived by his brothers, Richard, J. Gregory and Joseph, all of Greensburg, and his sister, Christine Renée Yarmuth, of Louisville, Kentucky. His sister, Suzanne Croy of Greensburg, died in April 2016. Donations in Robert Rust's name may be made to Decatur County Right to Life or Catholic Charities USA. - Copied from the Indianapolis Star.

Rutherman, Frederick Allen

Frederick Allen Rutherman was born April 25, 1927, in Olmsted, Illinois, and passed away April 11, 2022, in Fort Myers, Florida, his home since 2011. His parents were Jesse Allen and Myrtle Wise Rutherman.

Fred grew up in Olmsted, where he developed an early and lifelong love for the outdoors and became known as Boone. He was an avid hunter, fisherman and explorer and was as happy on his dad‘s pond in Olmsted as he was fly fishing on the Yellowstone River. Fred was a Boy Scout and achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, which was awarded to him in 1943 by St. Louis Cardinals team captain Jimmy Brown, then in wartime spring training in Cairo, Illinois. With that ceremony began a lifelong love for the Cardinals, and Fred thought was one of the greatest inventions in his lifetime. He graduated from Mound City Township High in 1945 and served in the U.S. Navy at the close of World War II and the U.S. Marine Corps, stationed in Japan, during the Korean War.

Fred attended the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, in the Navy V-12 Unit and graduated from McKendree College in Lebanon, Illinois, in 1949 with a degree in mathematics. He began his career as a math teacher at Mounds Township High School, then served at the First National Bank in Harrisburg and retired from the accounting department at Electric Energy, Inc. with over 30 years of service. He often told humorous and affectionate stories of co-workers. He and his wife, Dorothy, also owned a custom picture framing business.

While at McKendree, he met Dorothy Jean Sheets, a student at Lebanon High School, who lived a block from the McKendree campus. Their first date was to a St. Louis Symphony concert. Dorothy told of a duck hunting trip on the Mississippi River when they were dating. She described the day as bitter cold and said that as they slid back to Olmsted in an ice storm, she told herself that if she ever got him to marry her, she would never go duck hunting again. She did - and she didn’t. They were married April 7, 1951, at the Harrisburg Methodist Church and moved from Harrisburg to Metropolis in 1954. They came to love Metropolis, where they were active and devoted members of the First United Methodist Church. They made many long-lasting friendships there, and he held dear his relationships with members of the Fidelis Sunday School Class, of which he was a participant for over 50 years.

Travel was a major part of their lives with many trips to Dorothy’s birthplace in Montana and nearby Yellowstone National Park. They explored all 50 states and much of Europe; he recently remarked that his favorite places, other than where his family was, were Hawaii, Alaska and Yellowstone. Fred loved the hills and rivers of Southern Illinois and never forgot them. After his move from Metropolis, he enjoyed the tropical birds, flowers and sunsets of Southwest Florida when he wasn’t watching a Cards game on his iPad.

He was a student of history and his extensive library included books on the Civil War, World War II and many other subjects. The great joy of his later years was savoring his role as a loving Double-G-Dad to his great-grandchildren, three of whom are named after him.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 55 years, Dorothy, and her parents, George Harold and Christine Karnes Sheets. He said his in-laws were his best friends and that he never thought mother-in-law jokes were funny because he had the best one in the world.

He is survived by daughters Katherine of Paducah and Owensboro, Kentucky, Janet (Sheldon) Church of Ft. Myers; Laura (Robert) Rowe of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin; grandson Ben (Elizabeth) Horner and children Abigail, Henry, Frederick and Charles of Hot Springs, Arkansas; granddaughter Jessica (Jason) Green and children Anna, Russell, Jordan, Joshua and Madelyn of Ft. Myers; grandson Kevin (Megan) Rowe and children Emma, Josephine and Harrison of Madison, Wisconsin; granddaughter Katherine (Travis) Bischoff and children Page, Ainsley and Charlotte of Greenfield, Wisconsin.

A graveside remembrance service for family and friends took place on April 30 at noon at College Hill Cemetery, on North Alton Street, directly west of the McKendree University Intramural Gym in Lebanon, Illinois. Rev. Robert Edwards, the Ruthermans’ former pastor, will officiate. Pallbearers will be Sheldon Church, Robert Rowe, Ben Horner, Kevin Rowe, Travis Bischoff and Jason Green. Honorary pallbearers will be Jack Wise and Victor Sredl.

Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church, 100 E. Fifth St., Metropolis, Illinois, 62960; McKendree University, 701 College Road, Lebanon, Illinois, 62254, or to a favorite charity.

Close this window

© 2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter