Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "N"

Close this window

Nappi, Mario Raymond

Mario passed away peacefully at the age of 93. Born and raised in San Francisco, California to Mario and Elvira Nappi. He was an Army veteran who had been stationed in Korea. Mario worked for the City of Sunnyvale in the Parks and Facility Department for 33 years. He always had a smile on his face a great sense of humor and was loved by all who knew him.

Mario was preceded in death by Darlene his wife of 55 years and is survived by daughters Doris and Barbara sister Diana four grandchildren one great grandson numerous nieces nephews great nieces and great nephews. He will be greatly missed and forever in our hearts.

Private services were held for Mario. If so moved the family asks that you consider a donation to Promedica Hospice in Santa Clara an organization that brought peace comfort and support during his last days.

Published by Mercury News from June 26 to June 28, 2023.

Narciso, Federico

Federico Narciso was born May 17, 1903 and died February 17, 1975.  He is buried in Skylawn Memorial Park, San Mateo, California. 

The husband of Felixberta D C Narciso, he was a Master Sergeant in the US Army.  During his 20 years of military service (1925-1955), he was a member of the 11th Airborne Division's "Screaming Eagles".  He served in World War II and the Korean War.

Nasberg, Donald Albion

Augusta, Maine - On December 27, 2013 Donald Albion Nasberg departed this life for the green meadows of Heaven after a long heart and respiratory illness.

Don was born to Albion Nasberg and (Margaret) Ruth Stack Nasberg in Bangor, Maine, on March 11, 1930.  He graduated from Monson (Maine) Academy in 1949 and was working in a logging camp when he received a letter from Uncle Sam informing him that he was being drafted to serve in Korea. There Don served with distinction, achieving the rank of sergeant and receiving two bronze service stars.  He also captured life at Sandbag Castle in an impressive collection of photos.

After serving his country, Don returned to Maine where he moved to Augusta and there met the love of his life, Helen Witham, whose Swedish grandmother was thrilled Helen was marrying a young man of Swedish descent. Don got a job at Togus Veterans Hospital, where he served as a psychiatric aide for nearly thirty years.  He received awards for his kind, compassionate treatment of the patients.

An avid outdoorsman, Don introduced Helen and their two daughters to ice fishing, and he provided the family with deer, partridge, pheasant and even a bear.  In middle age, Don learned to play golf and he enjoyed being on a bowling team. Crossword puzzles and cribbage kept his mind agile up until he died.

Don led a simple life, but he also traveled. His fascination with history took him to far northern Sweden with his grandson, Wes, to meet cousins they had never seen.  This trek was captured in a documentary "Homecoming" made by Don's daughter, Brenda, for MPBN. He visited Crete with Helen, and Don had the chance to explore his Irish ancestry on a visit to Ireland with his brother-in-law, Donald Witham. They also toured England and Wales.

Don's most treasured trip was to Washington D.C. with his brother, Artie, who also served in Korea. The two visited the Korean War Memorial, an experience Don never forgot.

During his senior years, Don renewed his interest in nature photography. He also developed a passion for making wildlife films including, "Summer of the Geese."

Don was very devoted to his family. Duty was the hallmark of his life. Even one week before he died on the hospice ward in Togus, he got up at 5:30 AM on the day he was admitted, to start the wood stove one last time for his wife of 58 years. Duty to country, to fellow veterans and to his family is how Don will be remembered.

Don was predeceased by his mother and father; half-brother David Stack; and grandson Erik Jepson. He is survived by his wife, Helen; daughter Brenda Nasberg Jepson and her husband Alan Jepson of Madawaska Lake; daughter Beth Nasberg and her partner, Eric Olsen of Manchester; brother Arthur Nasberg of Bangor, and grandson, Charles Wesley Rucker and his wife, Kathleen, of Lafayette, Indiana, as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

Don's family was privileged to have Maine General Hospice providing care for Don over many weeks, as well as the hospice staff at Togus Springs. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Maine General Hospice, PO Box 828, Waterville, ME 04903. At Don's request, there will be no visiting hours. A service in his honor will be held on January 7 in the chapel of the new Maine Veterans Cemetery at 12 noon with refreshments to follow at the First Church of The Nazarene in Augusta at 1PM.

We are comforted that Don is at peace in the green meadows of Heaven, a vision described to him by fishing buddy, Francis Baker, who has no doubt joined Don for a trout-fishing trip in their heavenly home.

Naylor, Benjamin R.

Benjamin R. Naylor, Bennington, Vermont, previously of Calais, Vermont, passed away at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center on September 7, 2022, after a long and well-lived life.

Ben was born at home in West Springfield, MA on December 23, 1931, to Benjamin E. and Charlotte (Ramsdell) Naylor. He attended local schools, and enlisted in the Air Force during the Korean War. Using the GI Bill, he received a B.A. in experimental psychology at UMass Amherst, continued his studies in graduate school at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas, and then worked as a Research Assistant at The Menninger Foundation in Topeka, Kansas.

In 1967, Ben joined the Vermont Department of Mental Health as Chief of Research. He and his wife, Dorothy, and three children first settled at Kents Corner, Calais, Vermont, before moving to Collar Hill where they resided for over 50 years. The Collar Hill property allowed Ben and his family to have a backyard sugaring operation as well as harvest much of their vegetables, meat, and firewood. This endeavor gave Ben a great deal of satisfaction.

He took great interest in town politics: first serving on various committees during the establishment of U-32 High School and Calais Elementary School and later serving as Calais rep to the U-32 school board for 6 years, half of that time as chair. He was best known in town for strong, clear remarks and his attention to detail at March Town and School Meetings.

Ben and his wife started SideHill Farm Jam on a whim and it quickly became a Vermont specialty food small business; presently owned by their son, Kelt and his wife, Kristina in Brattleboro VT. As a specialty food pioneer, Ben spearheaded and then led the Vermont Specialty Food Association for several years.

Ben was introspective and his favorite pastime was thinking his way through various problems including (but not limited to) politics, environment, education, and community. He was particularly interested that there be fair and just outcomes for all stakeholders. His family valued the perspective this gave him when they found themselves in a jam (pun intended). His unbiased opinions allowed family members to find their own way which he would inevitably support.

Ben also relished telling (with embellishments) stories of adventures spanning his 90 years - from his long ago childhood to more recent adventures in Antarctica as well as along the coast of Labrador. Many remember his twinkly smile that signaled the beginning of a story, joke, or cheerful greeting.

Ben is survived by his wife of 62 years, Dorothy O. Naylor and his three children: daughter, Sonja N. Andrews, (Ross), Calais; son, Kelt M. Naylor, (Kristina), Dummerston, Vermont; son, Benjamin E. Naylor, (Jennifer), Petersburg, New York and sister, Paula G. Naylor, Watertown, Massachusetts, as well as seven grandchildren: Lillian and John Andrews, Caroline and Max Naylor, and Aleana, Sophia, and Eli Naylor. Ben was predeceased by his infant son Kurt W. Naylor, his parents and his siblings, Miriam R. Wilska, Robert D. Naylor, and Ralph W. Naylor.

Neal, Leon "Lee" R. (USA, Ret.)

Sgt. 1st Class Leon “Lee” R. Neal, U.S. Army, Retired
December 24, 1929 - December 8, 2015

Leon passed away quietly at home in Colorado Springs surrounded by his loving family on December 8, 2015. He was born in Los Angeles, California on December 24, 1929 to George and Elizabeth Neal. He was preceded in death by his parents, sister and brothers, and his son, Richard Leon Neal of Lancaster, California.

Sgt. Neal enlisted in the army at age 17 in 1947. He served 3 tours in Korea, and 2 tours in Vietnam, retiring with 25 years active military service. After his military retirement he worked for Hewlett-Packard, retiring in October, 1991 after almost 20 years.

Sgt. Neal was recommended for the Soldier’s Medal by Capt. J. B. Foreman, Commanding Officer B Company, 44th Engineer Construction Battalion (Broken Hearts) (APO 971, San Francisco, California) for rescuing and saving the life of a downed helicopter pilot on or about 10 March 1957. This rescue occurred at the site of recovery operations of a C-124 Globe-Master that crashed in the Han River, in Korea on 22 February 1957.

Leon was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for service in Vietnam during his second tour. He was also awarded the Army Commendation Medal for Service with the 52nd Engineer Construction Battalion, Fort Carson, Colorado plus many other awards and medals, too numerous to mention.

One of his many projects while at Fort Carson was the large athletic field located at the corner of Hancock Avenue and Pikes Peak Avenue across from the Fireman’s Memorial. This athletic field is still used by the students of the Deaf and Blind School for whom it was built.

Leon was a resident of Colorado Springs for 44 years, active in community affairs and worked diligently to keep a safe neighborhood. He was a member in good standing of TREA, Chapter One, Colorado Springs.

Leon is survived by his beloved wife, Violet, whom he met while working at Hewlett-Packard. They were married at Peterson Air Force Base Chapel on November 10, 1979, sharing 36 wonderful years together. He is also survived by his step-son, Dan Allen, and granddaughter, Samantha Ray Allen, both of Colorado Springs.

Together with his wife, Leon enjoyed camping, boating, fishing and motorcycle touring. He loved all animals, especially their poodles: Pierre, Nikita, and Whitney; and his sweet little black poodle, Bailey.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region, 633 S. 8th St., Colorado Springs, CO 80905. A very special Thank You to Optum Palliative and Hospice Care personnel for their care and support.

Visitation will be from 9:00-10:00 a.m. with funeral services to follow on Monday, December 14, at Shrine of Remembrance “America the Beautiful” Chapel, 1730 E. Fountain Boulevard. Burial to follow at Evergreen Cemetery with full military honors.

Neeley, Ruel J.

Colonel Ruel J. Neeley of Glen Carbon, Illinois, died peacefully on July 04, 2021.  Born on a farm near Piggott, Arkansas (Clay County) on February 28,1930.  Ruel began his education at Starr School, a one-room schoolhouse.  After graduating from Piggott High, he and his cousin/best friend Don Hitt hitchhiked to Fayetteville, where they were accepted to the University of Arkansas.  Both enrolled in Reserve Officer Training Corps and trained as pilots.  When Ruel ran low on funds, he worked in Detroit and Flint car plants for a year before returning to school, where he worked in the cafeteria. 

In 1953, Ruel was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.  He had the good luck to wed Billie Jo Jennings the same year, and they moved to Hondo, Texas, where he earned his Silver Pilot's Wings in 1953.  He graduated from college in 1958 after a tour in Japan supporting the Korean War effort.  Ruel's 28 years of active duty took him around the world as a pilot and then as a commander.

He and Billie raised their four children in Kentucky, Japan, New Jersey, Illinois, California, and Delaware, with one graduating from the University of California and three from the University of Illinois.  His favorite command, at Travis AFB, California, was the 22nd MAS C-5A squadron.  His children's first flight took place as space-available passengers on this largest-ever military transport aircraft.

Ruel's career highlights also included commands of a support squadron in South Vietnam, an aerial port squadron at Dover AFB, Delaware (where ratings improved dramatically under his leadership), and two tours at Transportation Command Headquarters (Scott AFB)--first as Aircraft Simulator Chief and later as Chief of Safety.  Along the way, Ruel harvested a fine crop of medals: The Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign.  He also received the Air Force Commendation National Longevity Service Award and Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon.  Yeah, Baby!  After his retirement, Ruel piloted commercial passenger jets for Midway Airlines until the mandatory pilot retirement age of 60, accruing 20,000 flying hours over his two careers.

He and Billie returned to Fairview Heights to enjoy old friends and make new ones.  After Billie's death, Ruel had the good fortune to court and marry Sue Lynn (Wilson) Neeley, of O'Fallon, in 2016.  Friends observed that they were the "youngest lovers of old age known."  Sue's deep love and commitment sustained Ruel until his dying day.

Ruel gave his life to Christ at an early age and served as Board Chair, Lay Leader, and Elder in various Methodist churches.  He was a member of the Masonic Lodge.  Throughout what he called "a wonderful life," he never forgot his cotton-picking, mule-plowing origins during the Great Depression, and he perfected several ways to pinch a penny.

Preceded in death by his parents, Murlie Mae and Velmer Neeley, and sister Garnetta Hall, "The Colonel" is survived by wife Sue Nelley, sister Betty Mae Martin, children Janet (Tom), Don (Rusty), Rebecca (Walt;), and Ann (Jeff), as well as six grandchildren and five great-grands.

Memorial service was held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at St. Matthew United Methodist Church with full military honors, with visitation at the church from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.  Private family interment was held at a later date at Piggott Cemetery in Piggott, Arkansas.  In lieu of flowers the family requests donations to St. Matthew United Methodist Church of Heifer International.  And if you plan to visit Ruel in Heaven, he asks that you bring a covered dish. - Published by Belleville News-Democrat on July 11, 2021

Nelms, Nelson

Nelson Nelms, 89, Belle Glade, Florida, died of coronavirus on April 07, 2020.  He was born on August 04, 1930 in Georgia.  He served in the United States Marine Corps during the Korean War.  He and his wife Frances were parents of four daughters.  Their daughter Teresa died in 2012 and Frances Nelms died in 2003.  Nelson was a retired farmer who was a mill supervisor for the Sugar Cane Growers Cooperative of Florida.  He enjoyed fishing on Lake Okeechobee, tending to his citrus trees, visiting with relatives, family barbecues, and his weekly prayer sessions with his nephew, Pastor Bill Taylor of Canal Point Baptist Church.  Nelson was a congregate of 1st Baptist Church in Belle Glade.  He died in Trustbridge Hospice, West Palm Beach.  At the same time he contracted Covid-19, his nephew Bill also came down with the disease, as did his daughter Alice Gay.  Nelson is buried in Port Mayaca Cemetery.

Nelson, Clifford E.

Dr. Clifford E. Nelson (June 27, 1924 - January 21, 2002), age 77, Retired Medical Director for U.S. Public Health Service. Served in posts in California and 10 other states. Including medical care for Leprosy victims, for members of the U.S. Coast Guard and Alaskan Natives during the 1950's. Served as Public Health Administrator for Radiation Safety Programs. Medical Officer on the Nuclear ship Savannah in 1964. Served as a Radiologist at the USPHS Hospital in San Francisco, 1972 through 1973. Pioneer in Chemotherapy for Cancer patients in Baltimore during 1956 and 1957. Dr. Nelson served on several National and International committees in the 1960's to develop large scale Radiation Safety programs for medical and dental x-ray equipment, various household and electronic equipment such as TV receivers and Microwave ovens. His last service was as the Regional Medical Director for the labor Department's office of Federal Employee Compensation in San Francisco during 1973 and 1974. He also served in the U.S. Army 1943 - 1946. Graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Medicine before entering the USPHS in San Francisco in 1948. He's survived by his sister Gladys Zawadzki, and several nieces and nephews. Military Honor Guard Memorial Service to be held at San Francisco Presidio National Cemetery, September 30, 2002 at 12:30 PM. (Part of Golden Gate National Cemetery.)

Nelson, Harold J.

Harold J. Nelson, 72, of La Crosse and formerly of Westby, Wisconsin, died Monday, Jan. 17, 2005, at his home after a long illness.

He was born June 6, 1932, in Taylor, Wis., to Lewis and Mabel (Olson) Nelson. He married Jacquelyn Lawrence of Westby on July 18, 1953, at Westby Coon Prairie Lutheran Church. Harold served three years in the Army and was in Korea with the 3rd Infantry's 3rd Signal Company from February 1951 to February 1952. He was a lifetime member of the American Legion and VFW. Harold enjoyed his family most of all (especially his grandchildren) and spent many a day traveling with them. He drove a semi truck for 42 years, retiring in 1994 from Fleming Foods in La Crosse.

In addition to his wife of 51 years, Jackie, he is survived by four daughters, Dawn (Mike) Skrede of Westby, Deanne Nelson of Minneapolis, Kala (Mark) Muenzenberger of Winona, Minn., and Kari (Bob) Nelson of Westby; three grandchildren, Jenna Skrede of La Crosse, Matthew (Michelle) Skrede of La Crosse and Andrew Nelson of Westby; one precious little great-grandson, Zander Harold Skrede of La Crosse; one sister, Mildred Nelson of Edina, Minn.; three brothers, Mahlon (Verna) Nelson of Westby, Eldon (Mardell) Nelson of Lakeville, Minn., and Leland (Deanna) Nelson of River Falls, Wis.; one brother-in-law, Jack (Elsa) Lawrence of Chandler, Ariz.; several nieces and nephews; and many friends.

He was preceded in death by his parents; four brothers, Truman, Oren, Lawrence and Raymond; and three sisters, Luella Overlien, Beatrice Erickson and Alida Nelson.

Funeral services will be held Friday, Jan. 21, 2005, at 11 a.m. at Westby Coon Prairie Lutheran Church, 500 S. Main St., Westby, with Pastors Steven Meyer and Mark Solyst officiating. Burial with military rites will be in Coon Prairie Cemetery. Friends may call Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Vosseteig Funeral Home, 708 S. Hwy. 14, Westby. Friends may also call after 10 a.m. Friday at the church. Memorials may be directed to Westby Coon Prairie Lutheran Church or English Lutheran Church in La Crosse (1509 King).  Vosseteig Funeral Home of Westby is serving the family.

Nester, William A. II

William A. Nester II passed away peacefully in his sleep at his home in El Paso, Texas on October 17, 2023.

William, fondly known as Bill, was born to William and Julia Nester, on September 16, 1929, in Belleville, Illinois. After graduating from the University with a degree in business, he decided to pursue his love of fishing and hunting in the warmer climate of Acapulco, Mexico. There he opened a Restaurant called Hungry Herman's, that quickly became a tourist favorite.

Two years later, he was drafted and served in the U.S. Army during the Korean war. After the service, he married the love of his life, and returned to Mexico, where Bill became a very successful Entrepreneur and saw his 5 children grow up. In 1982, Bill decided to expand his business into the United States and opened a factory in San Antonio, Texas where he moved with his family and stayed for the next 39 years of his life. In 2021, Ruth and Bill decided to move to El Paso, Texas, to be closer to their youngest grandchildren.

William A. Nester II, will always be remembered for his great sense of humor, spirit of adventure, and a diehard Baseball Cardinal fan…but most importantly, he will be remembered for being a devoted husband, a loving father, a crazy grandfather, and a great friend!

He is survived by his beautiful wife of 68 years, Ruth, and their five children: Bill (Lourdes), Kathy (Alberto), James (Aurora), Barbie (Mauricio), and Joseph (Lina). He is also survived by his sister Julie, his sister-in-law Phyllis, and by his Grandchildren: Barbara, Billy, Alberto, Katerina, Harry, Alek, Annika, Sabine, Mia and Sarah.

Published by Belleville News-Democrat on November 10, 2023.

Newman, Samuel William "Sam"

Lt. Col. Samuel William "Sam" Newman was born October 10, 1910 and died May 16, 1999.  A veteran of World War II and Korea, he is buried in Houston National Cemetery, Houston, Texas.  He was married to Elizabeth Ann Beahan Newman (1914-1999), who was an MM1 in the U.S. Navy.

Newton, Ward E. "Newt"

Ward E. "Newt" Newton, born January 10, 1930, at Elkland, Pennsylvania, died August 16, 2021, at Trenton, Illinois.  Newt was a friend to all and never met a stranger.  He and his dog, Dory, were fixtures in Smithton, Illinois, where he lived for the past 15+ years.  He was full of life and energy, and enjoyed walking the town and socializing.  Newt was a proud Korean War veteran serving in the united States Air Force from 1948-1952.  He was exceptionally thrilled to participate in the Veterans Honor Flight in October 2019.  Newt married Mary L. Thebus in 1952 and was blessed with five daughters.  In 1975, he married his second wife, Anna (nee Hackney) Collins and gained four stepchildren.  Newt was preceded in death by both wives.

Newt was employed as manager for the Bond Tire Company in East St. Louis for decades.  When Bond Tire closed, he joined Catholic Urban Programs (CUP) in East St. Louis, managing the St. Vincent de Paul store and Cosgrove Kitchen until his retirement.  He was active in the Silver Sneakers program at the downtown Belleville YMCA.  Newt's dedication to staying active had people constantly asking him if he had discovered the fountain of youth.  Newt arrived early at the "Y" each morning and was known as its unofficial greeter; his cadre of "Y" friends became a part of his family.

Newt is survived by his daughters: Anne Cerny, Jeanne Newton (Tom Cromwell), Sara Newton (David Sheppard), Teresa (John) Marifian, and Rita (Larry) Wuebbels; stepchildren: Ivan (Janet) Collins, Richard (Debbie) Collins; sons-in-law: Bob Stanley and John "Butch" Huff; brother: Donald (Dale Wincenciak) Newton; sister: Ann Sharp; sister-in-law: Pat Newton; and many grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and a dear friend, Barbara Hill.

Preceding Newt in death were his parents: Earl and Genevieve (nee Hallock) Newton'; two sisters and brothers-in-law: Virginia (Al) Nebelecky and Barbara (Ray) Rohlman; brother: Mark Newton; brother-in-law: Dan Sharp; son-in-law: Kevin Cerny: and stepdaughters: Barbara Stanley and Carolyn Huff.

Memorials may be made to Catholic Urban Programs, PO Box 3310, East St. Louis, Illinois 62203.  Per Newt's wishes there was no funeral service.  His ashes were inurned in the columbarium at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis. - Published by Belleville News-Democrat on August 22, 2021

Nicora, George

George Nicora of Deltona, Florida, died Saturday, June 19, 2010 at the age of 77.  Willig Funeral Home and Cremation Services was in charge in of the funeral arrangements.

Nicora was born on January 28, 1933, in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, a son of Peter and Mary Gavrus Nicora.  He entered the U.S. Army in 1953 and served on active duty until 1955.  He was stationed in Bamburg, Germany, where he served with the First Baton-"Big Red One" in the Special Police.  He was in the active reserves until April 20, 1961.  He retired from the Sheraton Hotel in Miami, Florida.

He is survived by his loving wife, Shirley Nicora; son Terry and his wife Xiomora Nicora Miami Lake, Florida; daughter Valerie and her husband Ernie Hyder of Hollywood, Florida; grandchildren Christopher, Geoffrey and Matthew Hyder and Raquel Nicora; three great grandchildren; brothers Pete, Mickey, Danny and Rudy Nicora; sisters Florence Irwin, Connie Nicora and Linda Toso; and nieces and nephews.  He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister Viola Gazdich.

Njus, Michael

Funeral services for Michael Njus of rural Lawler, Iowa, were held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, November 30, 2002, at Immanuel Lutheran Church, rural Lawler with Rev. Peter D. Peterson officiating.  Interment was in New Hampton Cemetery. Pallbearers were: Michael Buchheit, Rachel Njus, Roger Reicks, Ron Njus, Craig Crooks, and Ed Foxen. Conway-Kolbet Funeral Home handled the arrangements.

Michael, 74, died Monday, November 25, 2002 at Mercy Medical Center in Mason City of heart failure.  He had been in intensive care five weeks prior to his death.

Michael Wallace Njus was born January 16, 1928 at New Hampton, the son of Iver and Clara (Sanderson) Njus. He attended country school and was a 1946 graduate of New Hampton High School. After graduation he enlisted in the U.S. Army and served in Japan as part of the U.S. Occupation Force.

On June 9, 1949 he married Betty Zweibohmer at St. Joseph Church in New Hampton. Mike was recalled into active service in September of 1950 and fought in the Korean War. His memoir is located on the Memoirs page of the Korean War Educator website.  After this discharge, he farmed near Jerico for almost 20 years. After retiring from farming, he sold insurance until his retirement.

He was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church. He was a member of the Chickasaw County Republican Central Committee, the Chickasaw County Pork Producers and was very active in Farm Bureau.

He is survived by his wife Betty; one daughter: Diane Valade of Charlottesville, VA; three sons: Mark of Carrollton, TX, Tom of Cedar Rapids, and David of Decorah; three grandchildren; and two brothers: Rev. Iring of San Antonio, TX and David of North Richland Hills, TX.  Michael was preceded in death by his parents; and two sisters in infancy.

Norfleet, Bob

Bobby Chilton Norfleet, a veteran of Easy-2-5 Marines, died on September 30, 2005.  His obituary is as follows:

Bob Norfleet left this life to move on to his heavenly home in the early hours of Friday, September 30, 2005. Bob was a beloved husband, father, and grandfather. He was married for over 52 years to the love of his life, Ruth Johnston Norfleet. He was a retired Certified Journeyman Pressman and always provided for his family. He was a master at his craft and talented at many things. He was a musician who loved to play and listen to string instruments. The soothing sounds of a hymn played on an autoharp will always serve as a gentle reminder to his family that he is now watching over them. He was a talented woodworker, and his birdhouses and crafts grace the homes of many.

Bob was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corp. He was a Korean war veteran and two-time recipient of the purple heart. He was a member of the E-2-5 Korea Association. He was proud of his service in the military, a tradition that was carried on through his sons and eldest grandson.

Bob was a member of Parkway Baptist Church and a member of the Forum class. Bob is preceded in death by his eldest son, Bobby Steven. He is survived by his wife, Ruth, his daughter, Cathey, his son, Mark (Trish), one granddaughter, Diana, two grandsons, Corey and Christopher, three brothers, Garner (Margaret), Melvin (Bonnie), and Larry (Katherine), and one sister, Dimple Cantrell (Ray).

Visitation for Bob took place at Cole and Garrett Funeral Home in Goodlettsville, Tennessee on Sunday, October 2, from 10am-2pm and 4pm-8pm. Funeral services were held at Parkway Baptist Church, in Goodlettsville, Tennessee, Monday, October 3, at 12 pm, with interment following at Hermitage Memorial Gardens.

If you so desire, donations may be made in his honor to the Residence at Alive Hospice, 1710 Patterson Street, Nashville, Tennessee.

Norton, Charles W. Jr.

Charles W. Norton, Jr., COL (Ret), passed away peacefully Saturday, 16 November, 2013. Charlie enlisted in the Army in 1944 and was assigned to the Persian Gulf Command where he earned his commission. He returned to his home in Maine serving in the National Guard. He volunteered for a new organization, the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) in late 1952. He then volunteered for duty in Korea with the 8240th Army Unit.

He was then assigned to the 77th SFG(A) as a Detachment CO under COL Aaron Bank in 1954. He had several assignments between the 77th, 10th, 7th SFG's and the UW Department at the special Warfare School. In 1962 he was assigned to the 1st SFG(A) on Okinawa and was made the first full tour CO of the resident detachment in Korea. After a tour with the 1st Armored Div. COL Norton was assigned to MACV SOG in Vietnam and commanded FOB 2 replacing MAJ Larry Thorne, who was at that time MIA. He expanded the program establishing two FOB's at Khe Sanh and Dak To. He served as operations and launch officer of the FOB's and became XO of CCC.

He returned to CONUS as the sole instructor in UW and Airborne Operations at the Armed Forces Staff College. In 1969 Charlie returned to Vietnam as the XO of the 5th SFG (A). After that tour he took a course in Finnish and was assigned as the Army Attaché in Finland. He returned to Ft. Bragg as the CO of the 7th SFG(A) and later the DCO of the JFK Center for Military Assistance.

Charlie retired in 1981. He joined the Special Forces Association in 1966 and was President Emeritus of Chapter 11. Charlie's widow, Virginia "Ginny" asked that if anyone wishes memorials may be made to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation or the JFK Special Warfare Center Museum at Ft. Bragg. Services will be in the Spring at Arlington.

Norton, Robert

Robert D. Norton, 67, of Port Orchard died September 4, 1998, at SeaTac Airport, from a sudden heart attack.

He was born June 15, 1931, in Terriville, South Dakota, to Lawrence and Elizabeth (Lee) Norton. Mr. Norton served in the Navy as a medical corpsman in Korea from 1948 to 1952. He made his living for 35 years as a crane operator at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard until his retirement in 1986. On November 11, 1950, he married Florence Long in Bremerton.

Survivors include his wife; two sons, Larry of Port Orchard and Robert D. of Shelton; three daughters, Jeannie Bailey and Carol A. Hancock, both of Port Orchard, and Diane Myrick of Grand Coulee; two brothers, Jack of Port Orchard and Lawrence of California; a sister, Laura Pierce of Sac City, Iowa; 14 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a son, Mike, in 1978.

Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. September 9 at Rill Chapel. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. September 10, also at Rill Chapel. Interment at Sunset Lane Cemetery. Arrangements will be under the direction of Pendleton-Gilchrist Funeral Home at Rill Chapel.

Nussmeyer, Carl Henry "Red"

Carl Nussmeyer, 77, Sidney, Illinois, died August 15, 2009 at Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, IL.  Funeral services will be held August 18 at 10 a.m. at the Sidney United Church.  Burial will be in Mount Hope Cemetery, Sidney.

Mr. Nussmeyer was born October 27, 1931, in the Broadlands area, the son of William and Selma Lehmkuhler Nussmeyer.  He married Carole Lee Vaughn at the Villa Grove Baptist Church on January 12, 1954.  She survives. 

Also surviving are one son, Mark Nussmeyer of Divernon, IL; two daughters, Amy Nussmeyer of Tolono and Joy Pisula of Urbana; three grandchildren, Kam Shick, Nikki Pisula and Kati Pisula; and one brother, Irvin Nussmeyer of Tuscola, IL.

Carl graduated from Longview High School in 1949.  He was a farmer in the Broadlands area, moving to Sidney in 1993.  He retired from farming in 1995.  His interests were genealogy, history and traveling.

He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War from 1952 to 1953 with the 7th Infantry Division and the 17th Infantry Regiment as a medic, attaining the rank of sergeant.  He was awarded the Bronze Star with a V for valor.

He was a member of the Sidney United Church and served on the church council.  He was also a member of the 17th Infantry Regiment Association and was involved in other civic organizations.

Nys, Pierre E.

NYS PIERRE E. NYS Passed away quietly on Saturday, May 22, 2010 in Jupiter, Florida at the age of 87 after a short but tough battle with cancer. "Lucky Pierre" had a passion for finance, specifically the stock market. Pierre also authored a book, ''Escape from Nazi Europe'', chronicling his personal story of life in Europe at the onset of World War II. Pierre was a graduate of the Army Air Force Training Command (Victorville, CA), served during the Korean War, and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel (U.S.A.F. Res). Pierre was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his excellence in navigation. Pierre received a PhD from Georgetown University and served in the U.S. State Department, specializing as a linguist fluent in 11 languages. He is survived by sisters, Annette (Nys) Masy of Liege, Belgium and Marguerite Nys of Brussels, Belgium; by former wife, Mary Eleanor Nys of Deerfield Beach, FL; nine children, which includes Paul and Mary Nys of Tequesta, FL, Theresa (Nys) and Gary Moore of Ijamsville, MD, John and Renee Nys of Tequesta, FL, Michele (Nys) and Scott High of Bertrand, NE, Mark and Angie Nys of Mt. Airy, MD, Matthew and Mary Ann Nys of Bethesda, MD, Michael and Claudette Nys of Jupiter, FL, Bernadette (Nys) and Ken Morgan of Pompano Bch, FL; 26 grandchildren and eight great- grandchildren. A Mass will be held at St. Jude Catholic Church, Tequesta, FL on Saturday, June 19 at 11 a.m. A burial service at the South Florida National Cemetery (Lake Worth, FL) will be held on Monday June 21 at 11:30 a.m. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the American Red Cross or National Audubon Society or any one of its local chapters. - See more at:

Pierre E. Nys passed away quietly on Saturday, May 22, 2010 in Jupiter, Florida at the age of 87 after a short but tough battle with cancer. "Lucky Pierre" had a passion for finance, specifically the stock market. Pierre also authored a book, ''Escape from Nazi Europe'', chronicling his personal story of life in Europe at the onset of World War II. Pierre was a graduate of the Army Air Force Training Command (Victorville, CA), served during the Korean War, and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel (U.S.A.F. Res). Pierre was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his excellence in navigation. Pierre received a PhD from Georgetown University and served in the U.S. State Department, specializing as a linguist fluent in 11 languages. He is survived by sisters, Annette (Nys) Masy of Liege, Belgium and Marguerite Nys of Brussels, Belgium; by former wife, Mary Eleanor Nys of Deerfield Beach, FL; nine children, which includes Paul and Mary Nys of Tequesta, FL, Theresa (Nys) and Gary Moore of Ijamsville, MD, John and Renee Nys of Tequesta, FL, Michele (Nys) and Scott High of Bertrand, NE, Mark and Angie Nys of Mt. Airy, MD, Matthew and Mary Ann Nys of Bethesda, MD, Michael and Claudette Nys of Jupiter, FL, Bernadette (Nys) and Ken Morgan of Pompano Bch, FL; 26 grandchildren and eight great- grandchildren. A Mass will be held at St. Jude Catholic Church, Tequesta, FL on Saturday, June 19 at 11 a.m. A burial service at the South Florida National Cemetery (Lake Worth, FL) will be held on Monday June 21 at 11:30 a.m. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the American Red Cross or National Audubon Society or any one of its local chapters.

Close this window

© 2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter