Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "G"

Close this window

Gang, Robert J. Jr.

Robert J. Gang, Jr., "Bob" died February 18, 2023 at the Francis House in Syracuse just months before his 105th June 6 birthday. He was a World War II and Korean War army veteran, lawyer, outdoorsman, world traveler and lover of his Otisco Lake home-which he built.

Bob was well known for his twinkling eyes, great smile and being the spirited life of the party. A graduate of Christian Brothers Academy (CBA), Bob went on to serve for decades as a member of the board of trustees and later was named an honorary board member. He was always one of the most passionate board voices and championed the then controversial decision in 1987 to open the school to girls–-a subject he knew well as the father of seven daughters. His endorsement of the coed policy paid off when his youngest daughter Heather graduated from CBA the same year that Bob was celebrating his 70th CBA reunion. A front-page Sean Kirst article in the Syracuse Post Standard told their unique story that was unlikely to be repeated anywhere else in the country.

He entered Syracuse University in the fall of 1935 and joined the Syracuse University Army ROTC "Stalwart Battalion" program. He was a member of the Pershing rifle team. His life-long devotion to exercise likely began on his daily three and a half mile walks to and from his home and the campus. After his 1939 graduation, he enrolled in the Syracuse College of Law. Before finishing his law degree, he took his army physical just after the attack on Pearl Harbor and was ordered to report to the 630th Tank Destroyer battalion at Fort Jackson in South Carolina. He served as an infantry officer at Camp Bowie and Fort Hood, Texas with the "Tank Destroyers" and as the Inspector General at Fort Hood.

He returned to Syracuse in 1945 and enrolled in the Simmons Embalming School carrying on the family funeral home business founded by his great grandfather John Gang and still in operation today. He also taught legal issues at the school while waiting for his law license. He was called back into service as the Korean War began.

Bob was a partner in the law firm Smith, Dolan, Gieselman, and Gang. He specialized in real property law and served as the assistant city corporate counsel. Later, he joined the firm of Mackenzie Hughes and retired after more than 50 years. He continued to do legal work into his 80s.

Bob's love of the outdoors began early and continued well into his later years. He was an enthusiastic hiker-climbing Adirondack mountains and hiking 16 miles around Otisco Lake when he was 80. A devoted hunter, he shot his last deer at 93 and continued going out in the field on opening day until his 100th year. He hunted elk in Norway, Montana and Colorado and pheasants in South Dakota. He was an avid skier-both downhill and cross country-and was still skiing at 88.

He and his wife Holly met on a ski trip to Vermont. He was also an ardent camper. Bob, Holly, and their daughter Heather slept outside every night in their lean-to by the water from May-September until his 96th year. Bob enjoyed boating, sailing, canoeing, and fishing and the fact that he could do them all in front of his house. He had epic fishing trips to Quebec and Labrador in Canada. He was a founding member of the Ka-Na-Wa-Ke Canoe Club and held yearly canoe club picnics at his lakeside home-the last one was soon after his 104th birthday. He was an early member of the Onondaga Ski Club and he and fellow member Art Zimmer negotiated the purchase of a Vermont farmhouse in 1970 that became the club's still operating lodge. He was also a part owner of the Ironwood Ridge Ski Center. He was a member of the Angler's Association of Onondaga, Onondaga Bar Association, Skaneateles American Legion, Post 239, German-American Society of Central New York, Otisco Rod & Gun Club, and Arion Singing Society Men's Chorus. As a member he sang at a concert with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo. He was also a life member of the Skaneateles Y and still going regularly at age 102. He was the president and one of the original members of the Arion Stein Club. He was also a member of the Osceola Snowmobile Club. When Bob was 78 years old, he and his friend cut down 60 trees to build a log cabin in the Tug Hill region near Osceola. He followed the pattern that he had used in building his larger Otisco Lake home 68 years ago--that project also requiring cutting down 60 trees.

A highlight of his 104th year was a celebration by Syracuse University naming him a "Hometown Hero." The festivities were held during a Syracuse football game in late September. Since the game was broadcast nationally Bob's story made national news and the game ball has a place of honor in his home. He especially enjoyed tailgating with the law students before the game. The day after his 104th birthday, Bob was interviewed on TV as Syracuse University unveiled an exhibit at the Syracuse University National Veterans Center of Bob's army memorabilia including his Eisenhower jacket which still fit. Asked the secret of his long life, Bob replied with a smile: "picking the right wife." On his 103rd birthday Craig Boise, dean of the Syracuse Law School and other school representatives helped celebrate Bob's birthday at his home and issued a proclamation recognizing the day as "Bob Gang Day."  Bob and his son went on the Honor Flight to Washington, D.C. ten years ago. On his 103rd birthday he was also honored as one of a small group of 100 plus year-old Honor Flight veterans.

He is survived by his wife Holly Gang, eight children, seven with his first wife, the late Carolyn Maxfield Gang, and his youngest, Heather with Holly. The children are Elana Moses, Karen Snyder, Susan Williams, Christa Maxfield, Lisa Breakell, Robert J. Gang III, Cynthia Smith, and Heather Pettit. There are also 15 grandchildren, 31 great grandchildren and ten nieces and nephews and eight great nieces and nephews.

Memorials contributions may be made to Francis House, 108 Michaels Ave., Syracuse, New York 13208. Mass of Christian Burial Saturday at 10:00am in Assumption Church. Burial in St. Mary's Cemetery, DeWitt. Calling hours are Friday, 3-7pm at the funeral home, 104 Fordham Road at Teall Ave.

Published by Syracuse Post Standard from February 20 to February 21, 2023.

Gardner, Darwin "Satch"

Darwin “Satch” H. Gardner, 79, of Port Murray, New Jersey passed away on Thursday, March 22, 2012 at Hackettstown Regional Medical Center, Hackettstown. Darwin was born on August 23, 1932 in Port Murray. He was the son of the late Harry and Della (nee Mayberry) Gardner.

Darwin was a 1950 graduate of Hackettstown High School. He served in the United States Army during the Korean War. He was later employed by JCP&L as a lineman.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Joan Raia Gardner. He is also survived by two sons, Bruce Gardner of Port Murray, and Wes Gardner of Port Murray; two daughters, Sharon Nichols of Slaington, Pa., and Tammy Evans of Hackettstown; and a sister, Joyce Burk of Broadway; nine grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by a brother, Jay Gardner.

A visitation will be held on Sunday, March 25, 2012 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the DeVoe Funeral Service, Inc., 136 West Washington Ave., Washington. A service will be held on Monday, March 26, 2012 at 10 a.m. at the funeral home. A burial will follow in Port Murray Cemetery, Port Murray Donations in lieu of flowers, can be made to the Port Murray Fire Department, MTFC No1., 324 Main Street, Port Murray, NJ 07865. The DeVoe Funeral Service, Inc. has been entrusted with his arrangements.

Garlin, Howard

Howard Garlin of Lake Worth, Florida, became ill with the coronavirus around his 89th birthday on March 27, 2020.  He died at JFK Medical Center on April 5, 2020 of the virus.  A retired pharmacist and native of the Bronx, he enjoyed golf, collecting baseball cards and miniature cars.  He was a veteran of the Korean War.  He was predeceased by his wife Aida.  He was survived by his daughters Ellen Antonacci and Stacey Lederberg, four grandchildren, one great-grandchild, and his companion of 15 years, Iris Greenberg. 

Garrahy, Jim "Seamus"

James L. “Seamus” Garrahy, 70, 30 Plank Road, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, died Monday, January 9, 2012 at his home. He was born June 29, 1941 in Chicago, IL the son of the late John R. and Marie Lydon Garrahy. He is survived by his wife Linda Bell.

Jim was a veteran of the US Marine Corps and remained active in Marine affairs for the rest of his life. Through the years he has hosted thousands of active and retired veterans at his home in what had become known as “Steaks and Beers”. Seamus has also for the last five years hosted the finish line and post race event for the “Face of America – Wounded Warriors Bike Ride”.

Jim owned and operated “Jim Garrahy’s Fudge Kitchen”. What started as a single store on Baltimore Street grew over the years into 78 different locations in the United States, England and Scotland. Headquartered in Gettysburg the company was sold in 2009.

Seamus lived a full life filled with adventures, friendships and fun. For a year he served as a crew mate aboard the HMS Bounty tall ship sailing the Atlantic. He founded a singing group known as the “Sault Antlers Men’s Choir” singing Irish drinking songs. They recorded an album and later were a fixture in the area every St. Patrick’s Day.

In addition to his wife he is survived by two step-children; Jessica Sparaco and her husband Gerard of Arizona, Joshua Rutan of Ohio, two step grandchildren; Haley Rutan, Avery Rutan, a sister, Nancy Crawford of Chicago, IL, a brother, John R. “Jack” Garrahy, Jr. of Chicago, IL and a number of nieces and nephews.

A Memorial Service and celebration of Seamus life will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers memorials can be made to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, 825 College Blvd, Suite 102, Oceanside, CA 92057 or the Adams County SPCA, 11 Goldenville Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Online obituary and condolences available at The Monahan Funeral Home in Gettysburg are in charge of the arrangements.

Gavin, Neil P.

Neil P. Gavin, 95, of O'Fallon, Illinois, born Monday, August 6, 1928, in East Saint Louis, Illinois, passed away Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at residence in O'Fallon.

Neil worked as a pharmacist and was the owner of Gavin Drug, East St. Louis, Illinois and Plaza Drug East, O'Fallon. He was a member of First Baptist Church in O'Fallon, and was a Korean War Army Veteran.

He was preceded in death by his father, William L. Gavin, and mother, Stella, nee DeLorme, Gavin. Surviving are his wife, Marjorie "Marge", nee McMillin, Gavin; children, Bonnie (Carl) Branson of Rogers, Arkansas, William (Kate) Gavin of Swansea, Illinois, Vicki (Charles) Whitley of Raleigh, North Carolina, Mary Kay (David) Prader of Waterloo, Illinois, and Robert Gavin of O'Fallon; granchildren, Matthew (Tiffany) Branson, Sara (Trent) McCloud, Allison (Vernon) Modglin, Ellen (Jacob) Quernheim, David (Madison) Prader, Anne (Nate) Bergland, Catherine Gavin, Cole Gavin, Joshua Whitley; and 12 great grandchildren.

Special thanks to Harold Esselborn for his longtime friendship and to Tom and Debbie Berkel for the wonderful care given to the Gavin family. Memorials may be made to the First Baptist Church, O'Fallon - Building Fund. Visitation: Visitation from 10:00 - 12 noon on Saturday, September 16, 2023 at First Baptist Church, O'Fallon. Funeral: Service will be held at First Baptist Church in at 12 noon on Saturday, September 16, 2023 with Rev. Skip Leinger and Rev. Doug Munton officiating. Interment will follow at Lake View Memorial Gardens, Fairview Heights, Illinois.

Published by Belleville News-Democrat on Sep. 14, 2023.

Gerhardt, Earl Alvin Jr.

Earl Alvin Gerhardt Jr., 81, of Johnson City, died at his home on Sunday, February 5, 2012, after a long battle with prostate cancer. He was born in Lynchburg VA, son of the late Earl Alvin Gerhardt Sr. and Georgia Burton Gerhardt. His brother, C. Burton Gerhardt, and sister, Anne Gerhardt Lenhert, are also deceased.

After graduating from Davidson College, Mr. Gerhardt served in Korea as an infantry first lieutenant in the Korean War, receiving a combat infantry badge, a bronze star and a Korean service medal with three clusters. Upon his discharge he returned to Lynchburg and joined the family firm, Lynchburg Hosiery Mills, working in sales and advancing to vice president, secretary and treasurer. When the business was sold he entered the Cooperstown Graduate Program of the State University of New York, receiving a master’s degree in museum studies.

In 1974 Mr. Gerhardt became the first professional director of Rocky Mount, an historic house in Piney Flats which was built in 1770-72 and served as the first capitol of the Southwest Territory from 1790 to 1792. During his tenure the museum received accreditation from the American Association of Museums, expanded its museum and educational areas and introduced first-person interpretation.

In 1992 he became the Director of Museum Program and Studies at Tusculum College, establishing an undergraduate museum studies program and directing the official President Andrew Johnson Museum and Library. He retired in 2000.

While living in Lynchburg, Mr. Gerhardt served as volunteer director of the Lynchburg Historical Museum. He was president of the Lynchburg Historical Society in 1970-71 and a founding member of the Virginia History Federation, now the Virginia Association of Museums, serving as its president in 1972-1973.

After becoming a museum professional and moving to Tennessee, he served as president of the Tennessee Association of Museums in 1977-79 and vice-president of the Tennessee Historical Society in 1981-83. He was named to the Tennessee Committee for the Humanities in 1979, serving until 1983.

He was president of the Southeastern Museum Conference from 1984 to 1986 and received its James Short Award for outstanding service and leadership in 1993. He was a member of the council of the American Association of Museums from 1984 to 1989 and, in 1990-1992, was treasurer of the American Association for State and Local History, which gave him its Award of Distinction in 2008. He also received the John Schlebecker Award from the Association of Living History, Farms and Agricultural Museums in 2003.

In 2000 the Tennessee Association of Museums gave him a special Millennium Award for leadership and service during the last century, and last March the Northeast Tennessee Museum Association, of which he was a founding member, recognized him with a special award.

He was an Eagle Scout, a Rotarian and a member of the Watauga Avenue Presbyterian Church in Johnson City.

Mr. Gerhardt is survived by his wife, Sally T. (Flournoy) Gerhardt; four children, Elizabeth M. Gerhardt, of Galveston TX; E. Frederick (Fritz) Gerhardt and family, Amy and daughters Abigail and Karenna, of Newark VT; Thomas F. Gerhardt and family, Elizabeth Lodge and children, Madalina and Ionut, of Lincolnville ME, and Anna C. Gerhardt and children, Sarah, Cabell and Benjamin, of Weaverville NC. Other survivors include a brother-in-law, Donald H. Lenhert, of Manhattan KS, two sisters-in-law, Alice F. Schmitthenner, of Wooster OH, and Mildred F. de Marcellus, of McLean VA, and four nephews.

A memorial service will be held at Watauga Avenue Presbyterian Church on Wednesday, February 8, 2012, at 10 a.m., with the Rev. George Rolling, pastor, officiating. The family will receive friends informally in the church fellowship hall after the service and at the residence at any time. A committal service will take place in the Carrington family cemetery on Lake Gaston in Mecklenburg County VA on Saturday, February 25.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to Watauga Avenue Presbyterian Church or American Friends Service Committee.

German, Earl Stanley

Earl Stanley German, Jr., 81, of Williamsburg, Virginia went home to be with the Lord on January 24, 2013. He was preceded in death by his parents, Mattie and Earl German and his sister, Anne Greene.

Earl retired after a successful career at NASA, being awarded an Exceptional Service Medal. A member of the Masonic Lodge in Newport News, he was an avid NASCAR fan and enjoyed fishing and working with stained glass. An antique lover, he enjoyed collecting and served as an auctioneer. Earl also proudly served in the U.S. Marines during the Korean War in B Battery, 1st 90mm AAA Gun Battalion.

He is survived by his loving wife of 27 years, Barbara Lloyd German; son, Keith German (Donna); daughter, Amy Darden (Fred); stepdaughter, Debbie Morecock (Billy); stepson, Gene Fox (Julie); and stepdaughter, Cathy Rawlins (David); nine grandchildren, Justin Camacho, Matthew German, Andrew German, Carly Rawlins, James Darden, Chris Darden, Ben Darden, Julia Darden, and Grayson Fox; and nephews, Bud Greene and B.J. Greene.

The family will receive friends on Sunday, January 27 from 2-3 PM at Nelsen Funeral Home, 3785 Strawberry Plains Road, Williamsburg, with a service to begin at 3 PM. Interment at Arlington National Cemetery will take place at a later date.

Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice House of Williamsburg, 4445 Powhatan Pkwy, Williamsburg, VA 23188 or Christ Community Church, 9001 Richmond Rd, Toano, VA 23168.

Getz, Leroy C. Sr.

Leroy C. Getz, Sr., 91, of Belleville, Illinois, born in Collinsville, Illinois on May 28, 1931. He passed away on Friday, November 25, 2022 at St. Paul's Senior Living in Belleville.

He was a proud veteran of the United States Army and served in the Korean War, where he was awarded two Bronze Stars for valor and two Purple Hearts prior to receiving a medical discharge as a Sergeant First Class.

Leroy retired from the Federal Government after 34 years of service as a Logistics Management Specialist. He was a life member of the Millstadt Sportsman's Club. He was also a life member of the Korean War Veterans Association, IMJIN Chapter 95 and served as a Belleville Auxiliary Police Officer. He was also a devoted longtime member of Union United Methodist Church of Belleville.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Kenneth C. and Pearl F. Getz; his beloved wife, Janet (nee Sharp) Getz; two sisters, Irene Green and Dorothy Illies; and one brother, Eugene Getz. He is survived by his children, Leroy Jr. (Christy) Getz of El Paso, Texas; Ken (Linda) Getz of O'Fallon, Illinois; Charlotte Getz of Bowling Green, Missouri; and Lois (Mark) Simpson of Plainfield, Illinois; Mark (Nancy) Kimble of Saugatuck, Michigan; and Barbara Kimble of Belleville, IL; 16 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville, 62221 or First Baptist Church of Fairview Heights, IL, 10401 Lincoln Trail, Illinois 62208, or to a charity of the donor's choice. A visitation for Leroy will be held on Saturday, December 3, 2022 from 11:00 A.M.- 12:00 P.M. at Lake View Funeral Home, Fairview Heights, Illinois. A funeral service will immediately follow the visitation, at 12:00 P.M. at the funeral home. Final interment will be at Lake View Memorial Gardens with full military honors.

Published by Belleville News-Democrat on November 29, 2022.

Gibson, Ralph D. "Hoot"

The Associated Press, Saturday, January 10, 2009
Ralph D. "Hoot" Gibson, a Korean War ace and former lead pilot for the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds flight demonstration team, has died.  He was 84.  Gibson, an Air Force colonel who founded a Tucson real estate firm after he retired in 1974, died January 2 after striking his head while showing a buyer a piece of property, his son Scott Gibson said.

Gibson, born in Keensburg, Illinois, and raised in nearby Mt. Carmel, joined the Army Air Forces in 1943 and went to flight school, but did not see combat during World War II.  Assigned to the 4th Flying Group during the Korean War, he flew 94 missions in the F-86 Sabre and downed five MiG-15 fighters to become the nation's third jet fighter ace.

In the 1960s, Gibson led the Thunderbirds for two years and flew 104 missions in F-4 Phantoms over Vietnam as a squadron commander, according to an Air Force biography.  Gibson's awards included two Silver Stars, two Legions of Merit, four Distinguished Flying Crosses, a Bronze Star for valor, a Meritorious Service Medal, 14 Air Medals and an Air Force Commendation Medal.

Gibson isn't related to former NASA astronaut Robert "Hoot" Gibson.  Services for Gibson were held Friday in Tucson, with a flight of Air Force F-16 fighters making a flyover.

Gibson, Thomas F. "Tom"

Thomas F. “Tom” Gibson, 83, passed away at his home in Peoria, Illinois, at 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday, April 24, 2012.

Tom was born November 22, 1928 in Peoria to Thomas Phillip and Hazel Bridgette (Fostbender) Gibson. He married Phyllis J. Ferguson on July 24, 1954 at St. John Catholic Church, Peoria. She survives him. Also surviving are one sister Dolores (Ed) Klein and four brothers John (Camille), Don (Dot), Dave, Pat all of Peoria. He was preceded in death by this parents and younger brother Joe.

Tom was a wonderful family man and granddad. He and Phyllis raised seven children who survive him – Sharon Moravec of Chattanooga, TN; Cathie (John) Stenger of Peoria; Linda (Bill) Fogle of Lebanon, IN; Tom (Becky) Gibson of Peoria; Mary of Bartlett, TN; Fred (Thao) Gibson of Liberty Township, OH; and Therese of Bartlett, TN. He is also survived by nine grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and one great-grandchild on the way.

Tom served 21 years in the United States Marine Corps, retiring in 1971. He served in the Korean War with Item Company 3/1 on Bunker Hill and The Hook, and Vietnam War. He was awarded the Combat Action Ribbon and Bronze Star with Combat “V” in Vietnam.

He was a life member of the D.A.V. and 1st Marine Division Association, as well as a member of the Fleet Marine Reserve Association and a proud member of the N.R.A. Tom continued his public service with the Illinois Veteran’s Commission Office and with the United States Post Office, from where he retired in 1992.

Visitation was from 4-7 p.m. Friday, April 27, 2012 at Wright & Salmon Mortuary with the Rosary at 6:45pm. A funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Bernard Catholic Church, Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 10 a.m. with an additional visitation 30 minutes prior to the Mass. Msgr. Paul Showalter officiated. Burial was in Resurrection Cemetery. American Legion Post #2 Honor Guard performed military rites.

Special thanks to the wonderful and compassionate caregivers at the Illinois Cancer Center, OSF St. Francis Medical Center, OSF Hospice and Circle of Life HomeCare.  Donations in Tom’s memory can be made to St. Bernard Catholic Church.

Gilbert, Curtis C. "C.C."

Curtis C. "C.C." Gilbert, 80, of 119 Carolina Oaks Drive, Chesnee, South Carolina, passed away Thursday, May 24, 2012, at his residence. He was the husband of the late Barbara Sue Jolley Gilbert.

Born July 18, 1931, in Rutherford County, North Carolina, he was the son of the late Clyde C. Gilbert and Maude H. Gilbert. C.C. was the owner of Gilbert Motor Co. and Mayo Auto Auction which he operated for over 50 years. He was a U.S. Army veteran having served in the Korean War where he was a Purple Heart recipient after being wounded in action on October 8, 1952. He was a member of New Pleasant Baptist Church.

Surviving are a daughter, Belinda Wade and husband Steve of Chesnee; son, Cly Gilbert and wife Frankie of Chesnee; grandchildren, Clint Wade, Taylor Wade, Miranda Gilbert, Erika Gilbert all of Chesnee and Jared Lanford of Spartanburg; sister, Hazel Howard and husband Bud of Forest City, NC, and a brother-in-law, Perry Wyatt of Hendersonville, NC. In addition to his parents and wife, he was predeceased by a sister, Bobbie Gail Wyatt of Hendersonville, NC.

The family will receive friends from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. Saturday, May 26, 2012, at Eggers Funeral Home of Chesnee. Funeral services will be held 3:00 p.m. Sunday, May 27, 2012, at New Pleasant Baptist Church with the Reverends George Holland, Dewitt Clyde and Allen Dean Blanton officiating. Burial will follow in Springhill Memorial Gardens. Pallbearers will be Clint Wade, Taylor Wade, Jared Lanford, Eddie Wyatt, Jeff Wyatt, Randy Frint, Edward "Ted" McNeil and Steve Hunnicutt. The family is at the home of Steve and Belinda Wade, 20 Dorchester Drive, Chesnee, SC. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting Eggers Funeral Home and Crematory - Chesnee

Giles, Ralph Oliver

Private Ralph Oliver Giles served in the Second Infantry Division from sometime in late 1950 to February 1951. He was wounded by a Chinese soldier and his most significant injury was to his left lung. After returning to the United States, he continued to serve his country as a civilian employee until his retirement in 1979. After retirement, he still continued to serve his community through church, community organizations, and helping children in the neighborhood with hobbies and other activities. He died on July 25, 1984. He is missed by his wife, Carolynn Giles, his daughter Sharon Giles, and his two sons, Marshall and Ernie Giles. His daughter Sharon is an English professor in South Korea. His son Marshall was a missionary to the Philippines and is now a businessman. His son Ernie served in the US Army at Fort Sill, Oklahoma from 1982 to 1984.

Gill, Donald

Donald Gill - Melbourne - Donald Gill, 76, of Melbourne FL, passed away on Monday, March 29, 2010. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri. During the Korean Conflict he was stationed with the 307th Bomb Group on Okinawa and the 100th Air Refueling Squadron. On November 1, 2002 he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism which was presented by Senator Bill Nelson. Donald began his successful aerospace/defense career at the Eastern Test and Missile Range in 1958. His executive career included working for Radiation Inc./Harris Corp among other companies. Donald is survived by his wife, Agnes; his sons, Michael, Kenneth, and Jeffery; daughters, Lisa Smith and Stephanie Gill; five grandchildren, one great-grandchild, and a sister, Marcella Lowe. A memorial service will be held on Thursday, April 1st at 2 p.m. at Brownlie-Maxwell Funeral Home. The Funeral Mass will be celebrated Friday, May 14th at 1 p.m. at St. Matthews Cathedral, Washington, D.C., to be followed by internment with Military Honors at Arlington National Cemetery. Donations in his memory can be made to the William Childs Hospice House or American Cancer Society . - See more at:

Donald Gill, 76, of Melbourne, Florida, passed away on Monday, March 29, 2010. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri. During the Korean War he was stationed with the 307th Bomb Group on Okinawa and the 100th Air Refueling Squadron. On November 1, 2002 he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism which was presented by Senator Bill Nelson. Donald began his successful aerospace/defense career at the Eastern Test and Missile Range in 1958. His executive career included working for Radiation Inc./Harris Corp among other companies. Donald is survived by his wife, Agnes; his sons, Michael, Kenneth, and Jeffery; daughters, Lisa Smith and Stephanie Gill; five grandchildren, one great-grandchild, and a sister, Marcella Lowe. A memorial service will be held on Thursday, April 1st at 2 p.m. at Brownlie-Maxwell Funeral Home. The Funeral Mass will be celebrated Friday, May 14th at 1 p.m. at St. Matthews Cathedral, Washington, D.C., to be followed by internment with Military Honors at Arlington National Cemetery. Donations in his memory can be made to the William Childs Hospice House or American Cancer Society .

Gilles, Clarence

Lt. Col. Clarence Gilles Jr. (USAF Ret.), 88, of Bement, Illinois, passed away on Sunday, January 11, 2015, at Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, Illinois.  A memorial mass was celebrated in his honor on January 15 at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Ivesdale, Illinois.

Colonel Gilles was born March 8, 1926, in Pesotum, Illinois, son of Clarence and Margaret Scheurich Gilles.  He is survived by his wife of nearly 60 years, Joan E. Hathaway, RN, of Greenville, Maine; his son, Michael C. Gilles of Missoula, Montana; his daughter, Ann Gilles Linden of Porstmouth, Ohio; his daughter, Lisa Gilles Petruna of Houston, Texas; his brother, Stan Gilles of Champaign; and his sister, Beth Koehnemann of Phoenix, Arizona.

Colonel Gilles was a regular Air Force officer with 24 years active duty and a command pilot with over 8,000 hours.  He was a veteran of World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.  He was an avid private pilot from 1942 until 1997.  He was also a graduate of the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Colonel Gilles was a member of the Retired Officers Association, the Air Force Association, the Experimental Aircraft Association, Knights of Columbus, and the American Legion.

Colonel Gilles will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.  Contributions in his memory may be made to the veterrans organization or charity of choice.

Gillman, James Nicholas

On May 8, 2020, James Nicholas Gillman, loving husband and father of three sons passed away at the age of 93 of COVID-19. Born February 27, 1927 in Mallard, Iowa to Goldie Leona Gillman (Hidlebaugh) and James Nicholas Gillman Sr. He enlisted in the Navy at 16 and served as a Corpsman in WWII. He used the GI Bill to attend the University of Iowa. He was working a late shift at the University Hospital when he met Marilynn McQuoid, RN. They were married on September 30, 1950. Shortly after they were married, he was activated from the reserves to serve as a Navy Corpsman attached to the Marines during the Korean War. He graduated from the U of I with a Pharmacy Degree in 1953. He served the State of Iowa as Commandant of the Iowa Veterans Home and later as the Commissioner of Social Services for Governor Robert Ray. He retired from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association as the Vice President of the Federal Employee Program. He enjoyed flying as a private pilot and at one point held a commercial license. He was active in veterans' affairs and received several honors for his work on behalf of veterans. He worked for justice on social issues on behalf of others and was always ready to lend a hand. He was genuinely interested in everyone he met.He is survived by his wife of 69 years, Donna Marilynn Gillman (McQuoid); and his sons Matthew (Amy), Timothy (Maria)and Christopher (Mary). He cherished his grandchildren Wesley (Stacey), Sabrina (Cesar), Jacob and Graham; great grandchildren Maura and Andrew; as well as his many nieces and nephews.He was preceded in death by his brother Noah George Gillman and sisters Ella Jane Manwarren and Leona May Stevens.Services pending. Interment Arlington National Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family requests a donation to Casa Chirilagua

Ginnis, Lt. Col. Robert W.

Lt. Colonel Ginnis left this world in the afternoon of August 9, 2005.  He is survived by his wife, Constance Ginnis of Germantown, Maryland, four loving children, and eight grandchildren.  He is preceded in death by his youngest daughter, Marie Constance Ginnis.  He will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.

Gledhill, Arlee McKelvey

Arlee McKelvey Gledhill died 20 September 1993 and was buried at National Cemetery, Portland, Oregon.  Arlee joined the Marines on August 19, 1948 when he was 17. He was deployed to Korea from San Diego on August 17, 1950. He was in the 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Battalion, Charlie Company (Captain Robert Wray). He participated in the amphibious landing at Inchon, the seizure of Seoul (was WIA on 26 September), the Wonsan-Hungnam-Chosin campaign, and surviving all that, remained to fight “against enemy forces in south and central Korea,” returning to San Francisco on 25 May, 1951. As far as I know, Arlee never married or had children. He was always “on his own.” It makes me sad when I think about him pulling out of port for Korea with no family waving good-bye, no one to write him letters during his nine hellish months in Korea, and no one to welcome him back. He re-enlisted and served at the Naval Ordnance Plant in Pocatello, Idaho and at the Naval Station in Adak, Alaska. I don’t know how he spent the rest of his life, except that in his later years, he enjoyed playing dominoes. I think that his fellow vets were all the family he had. Arlee, you were a good man, and God and your country know that.  Arlee was my father's cousin. - Posted by Marcia Simpson

Carl Junior Glenn
(Click picture for a larger view)

Glenn, Carl Junior

Carl Junior Glenn
US Navy WWII Pharmacists Mate
Hospital Corps, 3rd Marine Div. Field Medical School.
June 16, 1943 to May 6, 1946

USNR 1946 1951
USN Korea,
US Haven Hospital Ship
March 20, 1951 to April 23, 1952

Born June 22, 1924 in Lanes Parries, Missouri, Carl was the older of two sons.  His father was Carl F. Glenn and his mother was Oma (Wallace) Glenn. He had one brother, Jewell Calvin “Babe” Glenn.

He was from the rural area of Phelps County, MO. His family were all farmers or factory workers. He grew up during the depression. As a teenager, he worked in the CCC projects in the rural areas of Missouri. He attended and graduated from high school in Rolla, MO, and then went into the Navy during World War  II. He served as a Hospital Corpsman on the US Haven.

After discharge he attended St. Louis Mortuary College and graduated in 1947. He began working as an embalmer and funeral director in St. James, MO. He met his future wife in St. James, MO, and after they married, relocated to Springfield, MO where he worked as a funeral director.

A short time after his first daughter was born he was recalled from the USNR into the US Navy during the Korean War. Having had the experience as a Hospital Corpsman, he was stationed on the US Haven Hospital Ship.

After his discharge he continued his work in the funeral business, and later bought his own business in Rolla, MO. He operated the Glenn Funeral Home in Rolla until his untimely sudden death in 1975. He was 51.

He was survived by his wife, Jean L. (Zimmerman) Glenn; three children--his daughter Cathy L. Glenn Stahl, son Douglas C. Glenn, and daughter Janet E. Glenn; and his brother, Jewell “Babe” Glenn.

During his life, besides his interest in his business, he enjoyed an active time with hobbies, trout fishing, collecting antique rifles, and traveling to Northern United States and Canada on fishing and hunting trips. He was active in his community of Rolla, and also served as a Rolla City Councilman. Having grown up in a rural area, he always enjoyed the time to visit with farmers and people with common interests.

He did not talk very often about his Korean War experiences. There were some times that he mentioned routine care for the wounded servicemen on the hospital ship. Most likely there were things he did not share of his experiences.

This is written by his son, Doug Glenn. My father was a very caring and devoted husband and father. He was a good provider and successful with his business. Having died unexpectedly at an early age of 51, his children did not have the time to know him as they became adults. We missed him as we have grown up. I know he would be proud of all his children and grandchildren.

This forum on Korean War Veterans is enlightening. Thank for preserving the memories of these servicemen. For me to be able to read the personal memoirs of the different servicemen, I feel like I can know a little bit more about my dad and the other men he served with during World War II and Korea. We all have the knowledge that each one of them made their sacrifices in one way or another. They gave up a lot for the freedom we have. Thank you veterans!

Goddard, Bernard Michael

Bernard Michael Goddard, age 91, passed away April 9, 2020 at the Andrus On Hudson, a senior care community in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York. The cause of death was attributed to the coronavirus disease. He also suffered from Alzheimer's and AMD eye disease.

Bernard was born on November 21, 1928 at the family home on Knollwood Road in Greenburgh, New York. He attended grade school at Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Elmsford, NY and was a graduate of Mount Assumption Institute in Plattsburgh, New York, class of 1948, where he was a student in residence.

Bernard enlisted in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War, and severed honorably for four years, attaining the rank of Staff Sergeant before being honorably discharged. He served as a police officer in Elmsford, New York, before leaving to pursue his passion for golf. Bernard spent most of his working life managing golf pro-shops at various country clubs in Westchester County and Long Island, New York. He retired from Old Oaks Country Club in Purchase, New York, one of the United States premier member owned private country clubs.

Bernard is predeceased by his parents, Edmund David and Mary Ann Goddard, a sister Kathleen Goddard and a brother William Goddard. Bernard is survived by his brother, Edmund Goddard, of Upper Marlboro, Maryland, sisters, Mary Kelly and Frances Anne Goddard of the Richmond VA area, and numerous nieces and nephews. He had many uncles, aunts, and cousins located throughout the country and in Ireland, with four of his deceased uncles being ordained Catholic priests serving in the United States Midwest.

Bernard will be interred at the Gates of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, New York on Tuesday, April 14 at 10:00 AM, with full military funeral honors. The graveside funeral service will consist of the Rite of Committal and an offering of prayers. With many family and friends unable to attend the service due to coronavirus travel restrictions - the family appreciates your prayers, kindness and understanding.

Goff, Robert Lloyd

Robert Lloyd Goff, a member of the 3rd Infantry Division Military Police, died in March of 2003.

Goldberg, Stanley

Stanley Goldberg, 86, Fairlawn, New Jersey, died on April 16, 2020 in the Valley Hospital in Ridgewood.  He was a resident of the New Jersey Veterans Home in Paramus when he contracted coronavirus.  He grew up in Brooklyn and then served in the 101st Airborne Division in Germany during the Korean War.  After his military service he became a window decorator in Newark and then later opened a novelty shirt business in Union County.  An observant Jew, he was the father of son Richard Goldberg and daughter Stacey Goldberg.  His was a grandfather to Dan Goldberg.  He married his wife Bernice in 1976, and she survived him.  Stanley Goldberg is buried in Cedar Park Cemetery, Paramus.

Going, Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Going, 87, of Grafton, Wisconsin, died on March 24, 2020. He had Alzheimer's disease for over 9 years, and recently, Covid-19. Ken was born November 30, 1932, in Palmer Rapids, Ontario, Canada, to the Rev. Kletus and Agnes (Lewis) Going. Ken proudly served his country during the Korean War from 1950-1953 as a Seaman 2nd Class Radar Operator in the U.S. Navy. He served aboard the Landing Ship, Tank USS Kent County (LST-855) and the USS Estes (AGC-12), an amphibious force command ship. He was present during the first hydrogen bomb testing at Eniwetok Atoll in 1952. He was honorably discharged from the service in November, 1953.

With an interest in chemistry, Ken attended University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Pharmacy and paid for college with the G.I. Bill. He became a pharmacist in 1958, and worked at Mueller Potter pharmacies in Oshkosh, Neenah, and a pharmacy in Fond du Lac.

Ken was united in marriage to Elaine (Trapp) on Aug. 4, 1962, at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Mahnomen, Minnesota. The couple moved to Wautoma, Wisconsin, in the winter of 1971 and purchased the Wautoma Pharmacy, which Ken owned and operated with expertise for 23 years. Ken and Elaine raised their three children in Wautoma and resided there for 45 years.

Ken was a Green Bay Packers season ticket holder for 50 years, and was an avid sports fan and golfer. Other passions included classic country, big band and polka music and traveling with friends to places like Las Vegas, Hawaii, the Holy Land and Germany. He played an active role in numerous Wautoma community organizations including Rotary Club, American Legion, Wautoma City Council, the McComb-Bruchs Performing Arts Center board of directors and the Wautoma Area School District, serving as board president for many years. He was instrumental in the construction of the Wautoma WWII Memorial Building, and was a dedicated member of Trinity Lutheran Church, serving as congregational president, elder and in various other positions.

Ken loved spending time with his children and grandchildren, who enjoyed his stories about his childhood experiences in northern Wisconsin and his adventures in the navy. He always encouraged them to work hard in school so they could accomplish their goals in life, and he will be dearly missed by them all. Ken touched many lives through his generous spirit, practical jokes, protective nature, compassion, guidance and acts of kindness—from his employees, who enjoyed his dry sense of humor and understanding disposition, to customers who were down on their luck, to his pastor and fellow congregants, and most of all, members of his family. He will be remembered as a passionate and fair-minded man, who always told people what was on his mind.

Ken is survived by his wife of 58 years, Elaine; daughter Sara (George) Poullette, Kenosha; sons Mark (Sarah), Cedarburg; Jon (Michelle), Oconomowoc; and 12 grandchildren: Sam Poullette (Mara), Madeline Poullette, Thomas Poullette, Noah Going, Lydia Going, Julia Going, Zoei Faith, Isabella Going, Amelia Going, Brynlee Going, Madison Going, and Maximus Going. He is further survived by his siblings: Dorothy White, Ruth (Dave) Wining, Mike (Laurie) Going, and Beth Lazetera.  His parents and his brother, Allen, preceded him in death.

Ken's family would like to thank all the caregivers and Hospice staff who gave incredible and loving care to Ken. A memorial service will be held in Wautoma at a later date due to the current Coronavirus restrictions.

Golinsky, Stephen

Golinsky - Center
(Click picture for a larger view)

(Click picture for a larger view)

Stephen Golinsky, age 74, of Lothian, Maryland, passed away on Friday, December 14, 2001 at his home in Wayson's Corner. Stephen was born on July 27, 1927 to Julian Leon Golinsky and Antonina Antoinette (Czapska) Chopsky Golinsky in Bridgeport, CT.

Stephen retired in 1989 after 32 years as an Ironworker. He worked for the Department of Defense on the Israeli Air Base Program at Ramon, Israel for 15 months in 1979-81. He also worked on the White House, the CIA building, nuclear power plants, bridges, high rise apartments, tunnels and subway stations.

Stephen was drafted into the U.S. Army, 23AA Battalion, at Los Angeles, California in 1950, was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Texas, served in Korea with the 709AAA Gun Battalion, Battery 'B', and received an honorable discharge in 1952. He was a member of the Reinforced Iron Workers: Rodman Local Union #201, Washington, DC.

Stephen enjoyed stamp, coin and postcard collecting, photography and doing crossword puzzles. He especially loved to party with friends and family in Connecticut. He traveled extensively throughout the United States and had been to Switzerland, Portugal, Greece, Bangkok and Taiwan.

Surviving are his sisters Pauline Murad of Torrington, Connecticut and Jane Kandro Stone of Milford, Connecticut.  His brothers Leon and Bruno and his sisters Catherine Fekety Demyen, Sophia Golinsky and Helen Golinsky preceded him in death. He was beloved by his nieces and nephews, Joyce Murad Mauro, Marcia Murad Doyle, Laura Kandro, Edward Fekety and Walter Kandro. Several great nieces and nephews and great-great nieces and nephews also miss Steve.

A memorial service was held on Saturday, January 19, 2002, at 10 a.m. at St. Ambrose Church, 1596 Boston Avenue, Bridgeport. Interment with full military honors immediately followed at Lakeview Cemetery, Bridgeport.

Goode, Lem

Lem Goode of Fresno, California passed away August 26, 2006, 1900 at the VA Hospital in Fresno.  Lem was a member of Weapons Co. 1/7 (USMC) in Korea.

Goodwin, Edgar D.

Edgar D. Goodwin, of Belleville, Illinois, born Tuesday, September 16, 1930, in Sandoval, Illinois, passed away Thursday, June 16, 2022 at the San Gabriel Assisted Living Memory Care in Highland, Illinois.

Edgar enlisted in the US Air Force after graduating from high school in 1948. He served seven years in the military in the Korean War and 30 years in Federal Civil Service. During his time in the Air Force, he received the Korean Service Medal, United Nation Service Medal and National Defense Service Medal and he survived a plane crash at Ellington A.F.B. in Houston, Texas.

He married Erma Jean Kurth in 1955 and was blessed with two children; LaDean and Roger. He worked as an aircraft mechanic at Scott A.F.B. and then was a Branch Manager in providing parts and maintenance instructions for U.S. Army Helicopters at AVSCOM in St. Louis, Missouri. He retired in 1985 with a total of 37 years of service (Military and Civilian).

He enjoyed traveling, reading and restoring, repairing and refinishing old furniture. His grandchildren, Kathryn, Christian, Colin and Hannah were the apples of his eye. After the death of Erma Jean, he married Meredith Gatewood.

He was proceeded in death by his wife, Erma J. Goodwin; son, Roger Goodwin; parents, Edgar A. and Ana H. Goodwin; sister, Maureen Phifer; brother-in-law, Herbert Phifer and nephew Philp Phifer.

He is survived by his wife, Meredith; daughter, LaDean (Robert) Scheurer; daughter-in-law, Kim Goodwin; grandchildren, Kathryn Scheurer, Christian Scheurer, Colin Goodwin, and Hannah Goodwin; nephews, Charles Phifer and Eugene (Barbara) Phifer; and Meredith’s children, Ron (Sherry) Gatewood and Annette Flutz.

Memorials may be made to St. Matthew U.M.C. New Life Club. Visitation from 9:00 am – 11:00 am, Monday, June 20, 2022, at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville. Funeral Services will be held at 11:00 am, Monday, June 20th, 2022 at Kurrus Funeral Home with Rev. Larry Patton officiating. Interment will follow at Carlyle Cemetery in Carlyle, Illinois.

Gorton, Richard

Richard E. "Dick" Gorton Sr., passed away Tuesday afternoon, October 26, 2010,, with his loving family at his side. He was the beloved husband of Joan E. (McDermott) Gorton. Devoted father of Diane M. Gorton of Marblehead, Richard E. Jr. of NC and Linda Marlowe of Tewksbury. Dear brother Arthur Gorton of NYC and the late Norma Boucher, Jane Sprague and Dorothy Foley. Lovingly survived by nine grandchildren. A Funeral will be held from the Lynch-Cantillon Funeral Home, 263 Main Street, Woburn on Saturday, October 30th at 9:15 a.m., followed by a Funeral Mass in St. Joseph's Church,100 Washington Street, Woburn at 10. Interment in Calvary Cemetery, Woburn. Relatives and friends may call at the Funeral Home on Friday from 4 to 8 p.m.

Sgt. Richard Gorton was a rifleman in the Korean War.  He served with the 7th Infantry Division, 32nd Infantry Regiment, Love Company, Second Platoon.

RICHARD E. "DICK" GORTON, SR. - in Woburn, October 26th, with his loving family at his side. Beloved husband of Joan E. (McDermott) Gorton. Devoted father of Diane M. Gorton of Marblehead, Richard E. Jr. of NC and Linda Marlowe of Tewksbury. Dear brother of Arthur Gorton of NYC and the late Norma Boucher, Jane Sprague and Dorothy Foley. Lovingly survived by nine grandchildren, Lauren, Lyndsay, Ricahrd E. III, Taryn, Jordan, Michelle, Tony, Victoria and Jacquelyn. A Funeral will be held from the Lynch-Cantillon Funeral Home, 263 Main Street, Woburn on Saturday, October 30th at 9:15 a.m., followed by a Funeral Mass in St. Joseph's Church, 100 Washington Street, Woburn at 10. Interment in Calvary Cemetery, Woburn. Relatives and friends may call at the funeral home on Friday from 4 to 8 p.m. Donations may be made in Mr. Gorton's memory to the American Heart Association, 20 Speen Street, Framingham, MA 01701


Richard E. "Dick" Gorton Sr., a lifelong resident of Woburn, passed away quietly on Tuesday afternoon, October 26th, with his loving family at his side. The beloved husband of Joan E. (McDermott) Gorton, he was seventy-nine years of age.

One of five children born to the late Arthur and Claire (Perry) Gorton, Dick, as he was better known, was a graduate of Woburn High School, Class of '49, where he played quarterback for the Woburn High School Varsity Football Team.

In March of 1951, Dick enlisted in the United States Army, where he proudly served during the Korean War. Following the war, he returned home to Woburn and began what was to be a very successful career with Raytheon. In addition to working fulltime, he attended Boston College at night for six years, until he earned his business degree. During his thirty-eight year career, Dick went from making light bulbs to rising to a managerial position with Raytheon. He also taught Raytheon affiliated business and economics classes at Fitchburg State College for four years. Dick retired in 1990 at the age of sixty.

During the early 50's, Dick had the wonderful fortune of meeting his wife, Joan, one evening at a dance in Boston. In 1956, they were married and lived in an apartment in Winchester for a very brief time, before building a home next to his childhood residence in Woburn. They shared fifty-four years devoted to one another and raised three children. During the summer months, the Gortons would rent a cottage at Weirs Beach in New Hampshire. Every week after working, he would join his family on the weekends and make his famous fried dough for everyone on Sunday mornings. He loved to entertain and to cook for family and friends of which he had many. He could make everything from spaghetti sauce to pot roast.

Throughout his life, Dick maintained a very active schedule. When he wasn't working, he loved playing golf, watching football, especially the Boston College Eagles, and working with his hands refurbishing and refinishing furniture. He was constant motion and loved being around people. He was also a lover of animals and had a dog for many years. Dick was a longtime member of the American Legion, George Campbell Post 101, VFW Post 543, and the Woburn Lodge of Elks.

Dick was predeceased by his sisters, Norma Boucher, Jane Sprague and Dorothy Foley.  He is lovingly survived by his wife, Joan E. (McDermott) Gorton, his children, Diane M. Gorton of Marblehead, Richard E. Jr. of NC and Linda Marlowe of Tewksbury, his brother, Arthur Gorton of NYC, his grandchildren, Lauren, Lyndsay, Richard E. III, Taryn, Jordan, Michelle, Tony, Victoria and Jacquelyn.

A funeral was held from the Lynch-Cantillon Funeral Home, 263 Main Street, Woburn on Saturday, October 30th at 9:15 a.m., followed by a funeral mass in St. Joseph's Church, 100 Washington Street, Woburn at 10. Interment followed in Calvary Cemetery, Woburn. Donations may be made in Mr. Gorton's memory to the American Heart Association, 20 Speen Street, Framingham, MA 01701.

Goss, Jack M.

March 21, 2007 - By Frederick N. Rasmussen, Sun reporter

Jack Morrison Goss, a decorated Air Force veteran who flew in World War II and Korea and later served aboard Air Force One during three presidential administrations, died Sunday of heart failure at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air. The Forest Hill resident was 85.

Mr. Goss was born in Bar Harbor, Maine, and raised there and in Washington. "His father was an interior decorator who worked in Bar Harbor for the Rockefellers, Pulitzers and J.P. Morgan," said his daughter, Jacqueline G. Leach of Bel Air.

His interest in aviation began as a youngster when his father, a pilot and World War I veteran, took him to an airport to watch planes take off and land. Mr. Goss attended the University of Maryland, College Park, and enlisted in the Army Air Forces after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. "His love of flying was intense, and he wanted to be a pilot but couldn't because his eyesight was poor," the daughter said.

Trained as a flight engineer and B-17 top gunner, Mr. Goss was sent to England with the 8th Air Force. On his first mission July 4, 1943 -- aboard a B-17 named Nevada Wildcat, his plane was shot down over enemy territory. The pilot, John Dunbar, managed to escape and later wrote of his experiences in the book Escape Through the Pyrenees.

The rest of the crew was taken prisoner and sent to Stalag 17B in Krems, Austria. On their way to the POW camp, Mr. Goss cut through the wooden floorboards of the rail boxcar with a hidden knife. When the train stopped, he and his fellow crew members escaped -- but only briefly. They were found hiding in a nearby lumberyard. His family thought that Mr. Goss had been killed in action until a telegram arrived six months later from the War Department at his Bar Harbor home with word that he was a prisoner of war. "He said it was so cold in the barracks that they would double up under one blanket to keep warm and that he was able to survive because he was willing to eat maggots," his daughter said.

After being marched 281 miles in 18 days to Braunau, Austria, by their German captors, Mr. Goss and his fellow POWs were liberated on April 18, 1945, by soldiers of the 13th Armored Division. "At the time, he weighed 125 pounds," Mrs. Leach said.

Mr. Goss remained in the Air Force, and during the Korean War was a flight engineer on B-29 bombers. While flying aboard the plane Southern Comfort, it was hit and seriously damaged by enemy fire. Though severely burned on his hands and face and suffering from shock, Mr. Goss used his forearms to crank down the bomber's damaged wheels, enabling the plane to land. Mr. Goss spent two years in a burn unit and underwent 14 skin graft operations to repair his injured face. For his action in helping to save the B-29 and its crew, Mr. Goss was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. His other decorations included two Purple Hearts.

In 1957, he was one of the first to be promoted to the newly established rank of chief master sergeant, and was assigned to the crew of Air Force One as a flight engineer. He served aboard President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Lockheed Constellation, which was later replaced by a Boeing 707 -- the first jet-powered presidential plane.

He lived at Andrews Air Force Base, on call at anytime to fly the president, vice president, Cabinet members or heads of state anywhere in the world. In 1959, he was aboard Eisenhower's "Flight to Peace," a 19-day goodwill journey of 22,000 miles that took the president to 11 Asian nations.

Mr. Goss recalled Eisenhower as "reserved," and that first lady Mamie Eisenhower worried endlessly about the plane's carpets becoming soiled. "He adored President Kennedy and said that President Johnson swore like a trooper," his daughter said. On November 22, 1963, Mr. Goss was high over the Pacific flying Secretary of State Dean Rusk to Asia when word of President Kennedy's assassination reached the plane, which immediately headed back to Washington.

Mrs. Leach said her father had numerous mementos from his presidential travels and a globe on which he stuck pins in all of the countries he had visited. "He had hundreds of pins except for China. He never flew to China," she said. After his 1968 retirement, Mr. Goss worked for 20 years as supervisor of the furniture department at the Hecht Co. store in Laurel. Mr. Goss enjoyed building model airplanes and reading about the Civil War.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. June 14 at Arlington National Cemetery.

Also surviving are his wife of 61 years, the former Frances Bannon; two sons, Frederick R. Goss and Stephen L. Goss, both of Los Angeles; two grandsons; and a great-grandson.

Gracco, Tony G.

Tony G. Gracco, 77, Eastlake, Ohio, died September 21, 2008, at LakeWest Hospital in Willoughby, surrounded by his family.  Funeral services were held at the Holy Spirit Church in Willoughby and burial was in Western Reserve Memorial Gardens in Chester Township.

Mr. Gracco was born February 12, 1931, in Cleveland.  He had lived in Eastlake for the past 43 years.  He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II and a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of the Korean War.  He was a member of the American Legion Post 678 in Willowick, VFW Post 3863 in Eastlake, and a life member of the Marine Corps League in Mentor and DAV.  Mr. Gracco and his wife enjoyed attending annual reunions for Korean War veterans and loved traveling to casinos.  He also enjoyed deer hunting in his earlier years.  Mr. Gracco retired in 1984, from Caterpillar Corporation in Mentor, where he had worked as a draftsman for 20 years.

Survivors are his wife of 43 years, Frances L. Costilow Gracco; children, John A. Gracco, Jennifer L. (Craig) Bryner and Jessica D. (fiance, Robert Morrison) Gracco; grandchildren, Heather and Anthony Gracco and Mitchell and Alexandra Bryner; siblings, John J. Gracco and Felix (Nancy) Gracco; and many nieces and nephews.  He was preceded in death by his parents, John and Jenny Gracco, and brother, Samuel Gracco.

Greenwood, Col. Bartley Jay Jr.

Col. Bartley Jay Greenwood, Jr., of Pensacola, FL, died August 31, 2005 at Baptist Manor.  He was born in Chattanooga, TN on 12 September 1918, but the family soon moved to Granite City, IL, then to West Frankfort, IL.  He attended McKendree College in Lebanon, IL from  1938-1940, where he participated in football, basketball, track, and was coeditor of the college newsletter.

Bart entered the Army in 1941 and served until 1944 in the South Pacific.  In 1944 he received a medical separation.  He earned a BS in Education from Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL in 1945; and an MS in Education from the University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, in 1951.  In 1952 he was teaching and coaching about to become Headmaster at Onarga Military Academy, Onarga, IL, when he was recalled to military service.

  • 1953-54: Performed in various staff and command positions in 2nd Infantry Divisional Artillery Unit in Korea; worked with UN Repatriations Group in the demilitarized zone.
  • 1954: Served with an air defense battalion in Chicago
  • 1956-60: Taught military history in the Georgia Tech ROTC Program; served as curriculum coordinator for career office courses at Fort Bliss, TX; attended Command General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, KS
  • 1960-63: As assistant intelligence officer, V Corps Artillery, was responsible for Russian and East German Order of Battle and the Corps Nuclear Target Plan
  • 1963-66: Army advisor to a Missouri National Guard Air Defense Battalion in the Kansas City, MO Air Defense
  • 1966-68: Chief of the Rest and Recuperation Branch in Bangkok, Thailand, in support of the US Command in Vietnam; responsible for briefing and debriefing 6,000 troops per month
  • 1968-69: Analyst on the Continental Army Commanders' Regional Manpower Survey Team, Fort McPherson, Atlanta, GA
  • 1969: Retired from service as a colonel in USAR

He received the Bronze Star Medal; American Defense Service Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; Korean Service Medal; United Nations Service Medal; National Defense Services Medal; Commendation Ribbon w/Metal Pendant w/1 OLC; Basic Missileman Badge; Joint Service Commendation Medal.

Upon retirement from the Army in 1969, Bart moved to Pensacola, where he met and married Estelle Lorenz.  He taught 8th grade Civics at Wedgewood Middle School.  He retired in 1980, and because he believed in giving back to the community, he devoted many years to volunteer work with Reading is Fundamental, the Humane Society, and 15 years with the Five Flags Dog Training Club "Responsible Pet Ownership" program.

He and Estelle also reestablished connection with friends from McKendree College, and organized 9 "Florida Fling" reunions, and for 15 years published "Open Line," a quarterly newsletter for McKendree friends.  Bart wrote a chapter, "McKendreans in World War II," for the McKendree College History 1928-1978.  In 1990, he received the prestigious Peter Akers award for outstanding service to the college.

Bar was an avid reader.  He loved to play golf, fish, garden, travel, bake, and cook.  He was dubbed "The Happy Cooker."

He was preceded in death by his parents, Bartley J. and Nancye Cushman Greenwood.  Bart is survived by his wife of 32 years, Dr. Estelle Lorenz Greenwood; sister, Mary Greenwood of Gifford, IL; cousin Betty Cushman Berry (Sandy) of Hilton Head, SC; stepdaughter Dr. Brenna Lorenz (Dr. Mike Pulte) of State College, PA; stepson Philip J. Lorenz (Valerie) of Winchester, TN; daughter-in-law Karol Greenwood Williams (Curtis) of Clifton, VA; grandchildren Megaera Lorenz (Glenn Garrabrant) of Chicago, IL; Malachi Pulte; Carter, Jeffrey, and Matthew Williams; niece Norma Carole McDonald (Ray) of Mt. Olive, NC; nephews Tony Winstead (Lynn) of Mt. Olive, NC and Dr. Daniel C. Sumerlin Jr. (Suzie) of Roanoke, VA; brother-in-law Fred Alphin, Jr. (Glenna) of Raleigh, NC; sister-in-law Mary Alphin of Issaquah, WA; Goddaughter Kathy B. Gardner of Los Angeles, CA; and last, but not least, his beloved cats, Shana and Schatze. 

A memorial service will be held at the Navy Hospital Chapel sometime in late October or early November.  Memorials may be made to the Estelle and Bart Greenwood Scholarship Fund, McKendree College, 701 College Rd., Lebanon, IL 62254.

Greer, Levy

Levy Greer, 85, longtime Fairmount, Illinois businessman and owner of the former Greer Auction, passed away on January 27, 2014 at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center, Danville, Illinois.

Levy was born September 10, 1928, in Glasgow, Kentucky, to Jack Gillock and Hennie Elizabeth Key Greer.  Levy married Elsie Bland on March 1, 1950, in Princeton, Indiana.

Elsie survives, as well as one son, C.W. (Debbie) Greer of Homer; two daughters, Becky Taylor of Savoy and Jennifer Dolbee of Westville; one brother, Royce Greer of Franklin, Tennessee; three sisters, Josephine Holdaway of Inverness, Florida, Dorothy Poulson of Danville and Charlotte Jones of Orlando, Florida; five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by four brothers and three sisters.

Levy served in the Army from 1946 to 1953, stationed in Korea for 15 months, and 3 1/2 years between France and Germany.  He was a  union pipefitter with Lauhoff for 30 years and served as union steward, as well as being on the bargaining committee.

He began his auction career in 1954 and opened the Fairmount Auction in 1968.  He worked the on-site auction circuit with Lloyd Cole, Herley Keller, Paul Edwards and Herschel Keller, handling 105 on-site auctions in 1974.

He retired in 2000 and hosted gospel sings in the Greer Auction building from 1996 to 2010.  He enjoyed playing euchre.

He was baptized for his Christian faith in 1992 and was a charter member of New Life Church of Faith in Homer, Illinois, with Pastor C.W. Greer and Pastor Thomas W. Miller of the Danville New Life Church of Faith officiating.  Burial will be in Davis Cemetery east of Homer, Illinois.

Griffin, Julius Benjamin

Lt. Colonel Julius Benjamin Griffin
(Click picture for a larger view)

Lt. Colonel Julius Benjamin Griffin was born in Ocoee, Florida on March 31, 1917, and died unexpectedly in Ocoee January 25, 2003 from a massive heart attack.  He was a veteran of World War II and Korea.

He was a Mississippi State Orange Bowl football champ in 1941 and played center.  He graduated with a BS degree in Business Administration in 1941 from Mississippi State.  He was approached by the New York Giants to play football, but the war came up. He then went to Navy flight school in Texas. 

Before, during, and after World War II, he was active duty for 11 years in the United States Marine Corps.  He was stationed in Corpus Christi, Texas, for flight training; Pasco, Washington; Newport, Arkansas; Cherry Point, North Carolina; and NAS Jacksonville.  He was in World War II from 1944 to 1945.  He was NARTU at Jacksonville NAS.  He was in the Pacific during World War II. 

He attended the University of Florida Law College in Gainesville, FL.  While attending law school in Gainesville he also coached football for Gainesville High School and coached local Navy football at NAS Jacksonville during the years before the Korean War broke out.  He left NAS JAX and went to Korea.

During the Korean War he was shot down in Korea in August of 1952 while on a mission and was rescued by the Air Force.  He was in VMA 121 during the Korean War, and in VMF 144, NARTU at Jacksonville NAS.  He received the Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross.  Upon his return from the Korean War, he stayed in the USMC Reserves. 

He received his JD from the University of Florida in 1955 and moved to Ocee, FL.  He became an attorney in Orlando and Winter Garden, FL.  He also became the chief advisor to the Orange County Juvenile Court in Orlando and assistant juvenile court judge.  He was also city judge for three towns in West Orange County.  He obtained the state charters for five state banks in Central Florida.

He was elected to the Florida State House of Representatives in the mid-1960s.  A member of the Shriners and Jesters, he was also a member of the American Legion, VFW Post 4305 (charter member), and was Lions Club president. He also owned a government contracting business with former USMC friends who bid and won contracts in Germany and in the United States.

He married Winnifred L Holland from Tennessee. They had four children.  He was commanding officer of the reserves while stationed in Jacksonville.  While he was practicing law in Florida, he ran as a Democrat for the House of Representatives from Orange and Osceola Counties.

Griffin's daughter Patricia told the Korean War Educator, "He was always doing something. He was always there to help others. When he died the church was over-flowing with people. He surely is missed by his family and the people who knew him."

Gross, Irving I.

Irving I. Gross, age 87, died April 22, 2020 at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, New Hampshire of complications from coronavirus.  He was born December 11, 1932 in White Plains, New York, son of David and Amanda (Arnt) Gross.  He was the husband of Maryann (Berardi) Gross. Irving was educated in the local schools and upon high school completion he enlisted and proudly served his country in the United States Air Force during the Korean War. Following his honorable discharge from the Air Force he received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering as well as several other courses from MIT. Irving was employed for many years at Kollsman Instruments until his retirement. He was a longtime member of the Blazing Star Eureka Lodge No. 11 in Concord, Suncook Rod and Gun Club, the VFW, as well as the DAV. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, boating, collecting stamps and working with wood. He is survived by his wife Maryann (Berardi) Gross of Pembroke, with whom he shared 49 of marriage; two sons; a sister; four grandchildren. Interment with military honors will be held at New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery at a later date.

Raymond M. Guetterman

Raymond M. Guetterman, 91, of Belleville, Illinois, passed away on Sunday, May 30, 2021.  He was born to Vincent and Ortilia Berger Guetterman in Belleville on April 20, 1930.  He married the love of his life, Audrey A. Gerlach, on May 24, 1952.  Together they had three daughters, Lizabeth, Pamela and Laurie.  They spent near 65 years together before Audrey passed away on April 13, 2017.

Raymond was a Master Sergeant in the U.S. Army and served from 1952 to 1953.  He was an avid birdwatcher and enjoyed hunting, but above all he loved bulldozing and operating heavy equipment.

He is preceded in death by his parents, Vincent and Otilia Guetterman, his beloved wife Audrey A. Guetterman, and his siblings, Donald Guetterman and Rosemarie Falconer.  He is survived by his daughters, Mrs. John C. (Lizabeth R.) Poole, Pamela M. Palovick, and Mrs. Michael A. (Laurie A.) Reime; grandchildren, Christopher R. (fiancee Crystal Geiger) Poole, Chaz J. (girlfriend Kimberlee Rene Cankar) Poole, Sean Reime and Kristen Reime; great-grandchildren, Brentley Poole and Garret Poole; and sister Cecilia Adrian.

Memorials in Raymond's memory may be made to Disabled American Veterans.  Visitation took place at Valhalla Gaerdner Holten Funeral Home, with graveside service commencing immediately thereafter at Valhalla Gardens of Memory.

Guild, Bruce R. Jr.

Bruce R. Guild Jr., born 17 March, 1929, died 31 October 1967 in Humboldt, California.

Gurr, Marvin D.

Marvin Gurr, passed away peacefully on May 9, 2023, in Roanoke, Virginia, surrounded by loved ones. Marvin was born on August 27, 1929, in Merced, California, the eldest child of the late Don and Helen Gurr.

He proudly served his country in the Army during the Korean War. After his return, he married the late, Joyce Gurr with whom he shared 56 years. He worked at FMC as a concept mechanic retiring after 30 years. Marvin was well-known and respected for his knowledge and leadership in many RV communities.

Marvin leaves behind two daughters, Kathleen Gress-Gurr and Linda Tarsky, siblings John Gurr and Dorothy Van Someren, one grandchild, two great grandsons, and four great-great grandsons, and many nieces and nephews.

Marvin will be laid to rest with full military honors at the San Joaquin National Cemetery at 32053 McCabe Rd,. Santa Nella, California 95322 on May 24th at 11 am. In Lieu of flowers contributions can be made in Marvin's memory to Disabled American Veterans.

Published by Mercury News on May 21, 2023.

Gutierrez, Ramiro Ruben

Ramiro Ruben Gutierrez, 91 of Sonora, California, passed away peacefully at his home with family at his side after a courageous battle with cancer.

Born January 1, 1932 to Prudencio and Josefa Gutierrez in Houston, Texas, the family moved to Santa Clara, California, in 1947 and Ramiro graduated from Campbell High School in 1950. He joined the Marines in 1951 and fought in the Korean War with the "A" Company 1st Engineer Battalion and 1st Marine Division.

While on leave in 1953, he worked for the Pratt-Low Company and met his soul-mate, Lizbeth Rose Archibeque. They were married for 64 years and raised four children in San Jose.

Most significant about Ramiro was how he devoted his entire life supporting his community faithfully and unselfishly by volunteering his time and knowledge, empowering people and improving lives around him. He and Lizbeth were avid supporters of workers rights, marching with Cesar Chavez to support the United Farm Workers Union in San Jose, Sacramento, Madera and the Central Valley. He was also active in church and many charity organizations including the parish council at Transfiguration Catholic Church, the St Vincent De Paul Society where he served as president of the United Way, and the board of directors for Center for Employment Training (CET).

Ramiro worked at IBM for 30 years, retired as a manager in 1990, then moved to Madera with his wife where they continued their charitable activities, volunteering at Camarena Health Centers (chairman of the board), in addition to working with the Madera Coalition for Community Justice and Latinas Unidas. He served as a grand juror for Madera County. Ramiro and Liz also prepared and served many meals at the Lords Table. He was an Honor Guard Commander for deceased war veterans at National Cemeteries and a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars.

In 1998, Ramiro received the Distinguished Individual of Year Award by the Madera Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. In 2015 Ramiro and Lizbeth moved to Sonora to be close to family. Ramiro was loved and respected by everyone he met and his warmth and charity inspired many. He adored his grandchildren and great-grandchildren and used his carpentry skills to make toys for them and many others.

Ramiro is survived by his children Margie Cooper (Paul); Kathleen Gutierrez (Mark); John Gutierrez, and Tommy Gutierrez (Debbie); four grandchildren, Sofia, Marina, Sean and Cierra and two great-grandchildren, Giovanni and Indy. He is also survived by his sister Hortencia Garcia. He was preceded in death by his wife Lizbeth who passed away in 2018, brother Hector Gutierrez and his son-in-law Ron Johnson.

A memorial mass for Ramiro was held at noon on Friday, April 14, at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 127 W Jackson St in Sonora. In lieu of flowers, please donate to CET via the Lizbeth Gutierrez Memorial Fund.

Close this window

2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter