Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "D"

Close this window

Dabbs, Ralph

Lt. Col. Ralph T. Dabbs, Retired U.S. Army, of College Park died August 31, 2006. Colonel Dabbs had a long and distinguished Army career, serving in World War II and Korea. He was honored with a Silver Star and a Purple Heart. At one time he was Commander of the President's Honor Guard and the Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers in Arlington National Cemetery. Mr. Dabbs graduated from The Citadel and Emory University School of Law, and he also taught ROTC at several schools in the Atlanta area. Colonel Dabbs was preceded in death by his wife, Lorraine Lang Dabbs, and he is survived by his brother, Charles F. and Mary Dabbs of Ann Arbor, MI; his nephew, Michael F. Dabbs of Ann Arbor, MI; his nieces, Patricia Dabbs of Charlotte, NC and Julia Dabbs, PhD. of Morris, MN; and dear friends, Judy and Ron Cleveland of Stockbridge, Peggy Isenburg of Snellville, and Ruby Reeves of College Park. A Memorial Service will be held at a later date and burial will be at Chattanooga National Cemetery with Full Military Honors. In lieu of flowers, those desiring may make contributions to the American Cancer Assoc., 2200 Century Pkwy, Suite 950, Atlanta, GA 30345. Carmichael-Hemperley Funeral Home, East Point, GA 404-761-1138. Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on 9/3/2006.

Dauster, Elmer Lee

E. Lee Dauster, 84, Sonora, California, died January 13, 2013.  He had been ill for some time and was under special care at the Avalon Care Center, Sonora, California.  A memorial service will be held at a later date and further details will be added to this obituary.

Lee was born December 25, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri.  After finishing high school he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps from 1946 to 1948.  He served two years as an active reservist in a USMC fighter squadron as an intelligence clerk for a squadron of F4U4's.  In September 1950 he was recalled from inactive Marines for duty in the Korean War, arriving at Hungnam, North Korea in December 1950 in the 3rd replacement draft as Marines were coming out of the Chosin Reservoir.  He joined an artillery forward observation team assigned to George Company, Third Battalion, 1st Marines.  Lee was wounded twice in a six-week period, losing a leg to automatic weapons fire on April 24, 1951. He received a Silver Star for valor, as well as two Purple Hearts.

After discharge Dauster managed a drug store from 1952 until 1956 while attending college.  He graduated from Washington University in St. Louis in May 1956 and then became a manufacturer's representative for a major work clothing company.  He and his wife Marie moved to Houston, Texas, where he worked from 1956 until 1965. In 1965, Lee and his family moved to California, where he later became a self-employed casualty insurance agent and broker until his retirement.

A 100% disabled Korean War veteran, Lee Dauster was past commander of Korean War Veterans Association (KWVA) Chapter 7 in Tuolumne County, California, past commander of Santa Clara County Chapter No. 6 KWVA, past president G-3-1 USMC reunion group, member of Disabled American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion, life member of the Korean War Educator, and KWVA National Director from June 2004 until June 2010.

He is survived by his wife Marie; brother Ed Dauster (also a Korean War veteran of the United States Marine Corps); and other family members.

Davinroy, Joseph J. Sr.

Joseph J. Davinroy, Sr., 88, of Smithton, Illinois, born March 14, 1933, in East St. Louis, Illinois, died Friday, January 21, 2022, at Freeburg Care Center, Freeburg, Illinois.

Joe graduated from Central Catholic High School, East St. Louis. He was a veteran of the Korean War in the U.S. Army and installed communication lines. Joe was the owner of A.S. Davinroy P & H Inc. He belonged to Plumbers Local 360. Joe was past president (1981) Illinois State P & H Contractors. He was a lifetime member of the Great Southwestern P & H Contractors Association. Joe was a founding member of Camp Ondessonk, installing all of the original plumbing and served on the Board of Directors for many years. Joe was a founder and president of the FSH (Freeburg Smithton Hecker) Water Commission.

During his 26 years of retirement, he enjoyed his family farm and raising dahlias, leading him to belong to the Greater St. Louis Dahlia Society. He also enjoyed making stained glass windows, lamps, and Christmas gifts for many, along with homemade cookies and candy. Another hobby included using brass from his plumbing business to make sculptures. Joe loved to spend his summers going to picnics and playing bingo. He also spent many years with The Old NewsBoys. Joe also spent weekends peddling glass cleaner at the Flea Market in Belleville. He was a member of the Smithton Senior Center and enjoyed Monday Night Meals with playing cards and fellowship after the dinner. Joe also met a long-time group of friends each Wednesday for breakfast and companionship. One of Joe's many pleasures was traveling the states (especially New Orleans to visit family) and abroad. This led him to serve on the Board of Directors for Golden Frontier. He also served on the Board of Directors for San Damiano Retreat Center in Golconda, Illinois.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Albert and Verena Zollinger, Davinroy; his former wife, Patricia Davinroy; a brother, Albert J. Davinroy; and two sisters, Theresa Weurz and Mary C. Walsh. Surviving are his children, Elaine Davinroy of Arizona, Ann (Christopher) Lintzenich of Baldwin, Illinois, Joe Davinroy, Jr. of Evergreen, Colorado, and John (Debbie) Davinroy of Smithton; seven grandchildren, Phillip (Kathryn) Lintzenich, Jacqueline (Adam) Forsyth, Michael and Alexa Davinroy, and Nick, Chris and Maddie Jones; and long-time companion, Jenene Biggerstaff.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in memory of Joe to Camp Ondessonk Campership Fund, 3760 Ondessonk Road, Ozark, Illinois 62972, or to St. Stanislaus Polish Heritage Center, 1413 N. 20th Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63106.  A Mass of Christian Burial was held at 10 a.m. Friday, January 28, 2022, at St. Stanislaus Catholic Church, 1413 North 20th Street, St. Louis, Missouri, with Fr. Marek Bozek officiating. Burial was at Green Mount Catholic Cemetery, Belleville, at a later date.

Davis, Nick

Nick Davis - born 9/30/1929 - death 11/10 2006

My father's name was Nick Davis. He was a Greek American drafted into the army from Michigan and sent to California for quick basic training. He said as soon as they found out he was a cook he was shipped to Alaska. I remembering him saying that the army bus in California he was in tipped off the road and he woke up in the hospital a couple days later. He served as head cook (Sergeant) in Alaska during the Korean War. He was in charge of feeding all the troops and USO that passed through. I remember him saying thousands of souls passed through his kitchen daily. His favorite story was that he received a cigar from Red Skeleton after feeding him and his USO Company. He came home and worked as a bouncer in a Detroit bar before becoming a chef. I know he worked at Detroit Yacht Club, the Roostertail and Carl's Chop House on Grand River during the 50's or 60's. In the mid 70's he opened D & H Tire store on Van Born road in Taylor, MI. His family carries on his name in Bloomfield, MI. God Bless

Davis, Albert H.

MSG Albert H. Davis, US Army, retired, passed away on 27 April 2009 while in the hospital. Al was a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam Wars and joined Special Forces in 1952. His SF assignments included service with the 3rd, 5th, 10th, and 77th SFG(A). He also served with SF Training Group and three tours with MACV-SOG. He was awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge in Korea and Combat Medical Badge in Vietnam along with numerous other awards and decorations. He is survived by his wife Ruth and two children.

Davis, Ray

From the Korea Times by Jeffrey Miller, Feature Writer:

Korean War Hero Dies at 88

Raymond G. Davis, a retired U.S. Marine general who was one of America’s most highly-decorated military officers, died on Wednesday in Georgia after suffering a heart attack. He was 88. Davis, a recipient of the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor had an impressive military career that spanned over 33 years and three wars--World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.

He is perhaps best known here in Korea for his valiant efforts during fierce fighting around the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea in 1950 when he led a battalion of marines over a treacherous mountaintop to rescue a beleaguered rifle company. For his actions he was awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest American award for heroism. During his military career, he was also awarded the Navy Cross, two Distinguished Service Medals, two Silver Stars, two Legion of Merit awards, a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart among his many awards.

President Richard Nixon nominated Davis to the rank of general in 1971. Gen. Davis ended his military service as assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, the nation's second-highest ranking Marine when he retired in 1972. After retiring from the military, Davis worked tirelessly for the creation of the Korean War Veterans Memorial as well as his efforts in the search for the remains of U.S. service members in North Korea. He was also a board member of the U.S.-Korea 2000 Foundation, Inc., which worked closely with Korean War veterans and helped to promote a better understanding of the war and its legacy. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Willa Knox Davis, two sons, one daughter and seven grandchildren.

Davis, Virgil L.

Virgil L. "Virg" Davis, beloved husband of the late Evelyn Davis, devoted father of Shirley "Sam" (Eric), Timothy (Pam), Dale "Tony" (Olivia), Thomas (Deb) Davis, also survived by 10 grandchildren and seven great grandchildren, dear brother of Susan Burgess, died Wednesday, May 30, 2007, at the age of 79. Funeral services were held at the Naegele, Kleb & Ihlendorf Funeral Home, 3900 Montgomery Rd, Norwood, Friday, June 1 at 1:30 p.m. Memorials may be directed to the Korean War Memorial Fund, PO Box 2372, Washington DC 20013-1372.

Davison, Robert A. Sr.

Robert A. Davison Sr., age 81, of North Bristol, Ohio, died early Monday evening, November 14, 2011, at his home.  He was born October 9, 1930, in Youngstown, Ohio, the son of Harold Marell and Martha Adrianne Sweeney Davison.

Bob served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War, from 1948-52. He has been self-employed for 50 years, owning Bob's Welding Service in Bristolville.

Bob was the current master and past master of West Farmington Western Reserve Masonic Lodge No. 507, where he was a master mason since 1971. He was also a member and past officer of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Youngstown and a member of the Aut Mori Grotto in Youngstown.

Bob is survived by his wife, Roberta E. Thorpe Davison, whom he married December 10, 1953; two daughters, Roberta A. (Les) Wildman of North Bristol and Rhonda S. (Keith) Camp of Kingsville; one son, R. Koti Davison of Boseman, Montana; one stepson, Russell I. Reeves Jr. of North Bristol; seven grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren; one brother, Richard Davison of Lakeland, Florida; three step-siblings, Virginia Howell of Jefferson, David G. Cummins of Collins, Georgia, and Florence Martie of Champion; five half-siblings, Ms. Pat Alba of Texas, Laurel Nye of Ontario, California, Dorothy Roof and Martha Fritsch, both of Warren and Jim Cummins of Minnesota.

One son, Robert Davison Jr.; one brother, Bill Davison; three stepsisters, Roberta Risher, Barbara Zollac and Lois Kemmer; and a half-sister, Marilyn Thorpe; and a half-brother, Tom Cummins, all have preceded him in death.

The funeral service will be held at 11:30 a.m., Friday, Nov. 18th, at Shafer-Winans Funeral Chapel in Cortland, with Pastor Fred Keener officiating. The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday, November 17, at the Funeral Home, where Masonic Services will be conducted at 5:45 p.m. by Western Reserve Lodge No. 507 F&AM.

Memorial contributions may be made to the family or to Western Reserve Masonic Lodge No. 507, 216 W. Main St., West Farmington, Ohio 44491, in Bob's memory.

Day, Albert Evans

Graveside Services for Albert Evans Day, age 82, of Brownwood, Texas, will be held Friday, July 06, 2012, at 10:00 a.m. at Bangs Cemetery in Bangs, Texas with Lynn Turnbow officiating. Visitation will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday evening at Davis-Morris Funeral Home. He passed away Sunday, July 01, 2012, in Brownwood, Texas.

Albert was born on October 29, 1929, to Fred and Martha (Nelson) Day. He was a lifetime member of the Bangs American Legion, Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and the VFW. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and involved in the Scottish Rite and Shriners organizations. He was also a member of St. Johns Church in Brownwood.

Albert enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1958 and took basic training in Fort Chaffee in Arkansas. He attended several electronic schools, and served in Korea, Vietnam and Europe. He earned several medals and awards, including the Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters, a Vietnam Service Medal with two battle stars, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry Medal, and six awards of Good Conduct Medals. He became an Army Recruiter in Brownwood from 1970 to 1977 and spent the last year of his military career as a counselor at Ft. Hood. After his retirement from the military, he served as the Brown County Veterans Service Officer for many years.

He is preceded in death by his parents, Fred and Martha Day; a half-brother, Fred Day Jr.; and a son, Bruce Odell Day. Albert is survived by two grandchildren, Kelly Etheredge and husband Scott of Roscoe, Texas, and Sara Jo Newton and husband Jewel of Lake Brownwood; five great-grandchildren, Sydny, Hunter, Vickie Jo, Davis, and Alex; a brother, Bob Day and wife Joyce of Bangs, Texas; and sister, Betty Bartee and husband Don of Lake Brownwood.  He is also survived by numerous nieces and nephew.

Daye, Ladais "Laddie" L. Sr.

Ladais “Laddie” L. Daye, Sr. was born April 13, 1930 in, 2022, at Missouri Baptist Hospital in Town and Country, Missouri while surrounded by the love of his family.

Laddie was a devoted and loving husband to his wife Patricia Daye for 55 years. Their deep commitment, friendship, and love for one another has served as a strong foundation for the Daye family and provides comfort as they grieve his absence from their lives together. He was a fiercely loving and generous father to his children and their families, and a present and loving Papa to his grandchildren.

Laddie had a passion for outdoor activities that he expressed on the golf course and through regular boating excursions with family and friends. Memories of his meticulous care of his boat, serving as “Captain” while his family shared in his love for the water, and the love and laughter enjoyed with his grandchildren will forever remain in the hearts of those who loved him. He loved his family fiercely, laughed with abandon, and modeled strength and resilience in every area of his life. His quick wit and twinkle in his eyes were a trademark that brought much joy to those who shared in his life. Most importantly, he was a man of faith who devoted his life to deepening his personal relationship with Jesus Christ which he emulated through his love for his family, and his service to his church and community.

Laddie enlisted in the United States Air Force in New Orleans, Louisiana during the Korean War, where he served as Staff Sergeant. Laddie attended Louisiana College in Pineville, Louisiana, where he earned a Bachelor of Science. His passion for service to others led him to complete graduate work at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. He served in the role of area missionary for the State of Indiana, assisted in organizing new churches, and pastored in several churches in Indiana before he began his career as an Investment Broker for Stifel. He was a devoted professional to each of his clients who trusted his experience, wisdom and his personal warmth and care.

Laddie and his wife Patricia have been members of the 1st United Presbyterian Church for over 40 years where he has served as a church elder, board member of Belleville Christian Counseling, Sunday school teacher, and a member of the Merry Mates fellowship group. He volunteered in the Belleville Memorial Hospital ICU, where he brought a comforting presence to families in crisis. He was a member of the Gothic Lodge #0852 where he served as a 32nd degree Mason, Kiwanis President in Muncie, Indiana, and was a member of the Private Pilots Group in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Laddie was proceeded in death by his parents, Arnold L. and Ava S. Daye; brother, Noble F. Daye; and sons Laddie L. Daye, Jr. and Dennis Daye. He is survived by his loving wife, Patricia (nee Griffin) Daye; daughters Connie Berkowitz, Julie (Craig) Eichholz, and Jennifer (Scott Demick) Daye; grandchildren Andrew (Erin) Eichholz, Emily Eichholz, Nicolas Glover, Jack Cannon, Ryan (Emily) Kingston, and Erin (Josh) Packwood; great-grandchildren, Lucy and Emma Kingston, Lucas, Connor and Nick Packwood; sister-in-law: Norah Griffin; many loving nieces and nephews and their families.

A celebration of Laddie’s life will be planned at a later date. Memorial contributions may be made to the local Fellowship of Christian Athletes (or) 1st United Presbyterian Church of Belleville.

DeArmond, John Edwin

(Click picture for a larger view)

In case anyone has wondered what might have happened to my father since his Army days:

Cpl. John Edwin De Armond
born- 22 May 1930
died- 02 June 1995
buried- Caldwell, KS Cemetery

He was born in Byron, Oklahoma, the family moved to Amrita, Oklahoma, Driftwood, Oklahoma, and finally settled in

 Cherokee, Oklahoma when Dad was in grade school.  He dropped out of school at the end of his 8th grade year to go to work. He did farm work, and was a mechanic at the Chevy dealership until he was around 18, then moved to Wichita, Kansas and worked at a meat packing plant.  He then worked at Coleman and finally Boeing, working for the latter for 30 years.  He retired at the age of 57. He was one of the "A" Leads in Tooling and had worked assignments not only in Wichita, Kansas, but also in Renton, Washington, Everett, Washington0, and Mashau, Louisiana.

He was married to Vivian I. Arterburn in 1953 after returning home from his U.S. Army stint in Japan and Korea, having served with in the 45th Infantry Division's 189th Field Artillery Battalion, B Company. They had one child, John E. De Armond II and one grandchild John E. De Armond III.

John Sr. was an avid fisherman, hunter and camper, rock hound and lapidarist. He love working with his hands, anything from wood, metal to rock.  He had the knack and skills to complete what he set out to build.  Unfortunately his life was cut short on 2 June 1995 when he was murdered in Enid, Oklahoma at the age of 65.

I am his son, and would sincerely like to hear from anyone that served with him so I can learn more about where they were in Korea and about the life the unit had while there. - Please contact me at

DeBoer, James

James DeBoer died July 19, 2001.  He was born in Jefferson County, Colorado on August 13, 1931, to Jacob and Ina (Weil) DeBoer.

He served with the army's 1st armored engineers (the 'cotton bailers') from 1950 until 1951.  When they shipped him to Korea he was in the Fox Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Infantry Division at Outposts King and Queen. He came home in 1952. He was called "Tex", "Red Dog", and "Rebel".  He was ranked as a staff sergeant. He served under Lieutenant Cardoza.

He married Naomi Tucker on December 29, 1951, and they lived in Denver. They moved to0 Hillsboro in 1976.  He worked at Marshall’s. He belonged to Bethel Full Gospel Church in Forest Grove and was Pastor of Valley Rose Tabernacle Church for 12 years, with his wife, Naomi.  He enjoyed crocheting and sharing the gospel with others.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Naomi DeBoer; brothers, Jake, John and Joseph DeBoer.  He was survived by his children, James DeBoer, Pamela DeBoer, Ruth Kintz, and Daniel DeBoer; sisters, Mary Scott and Eleanor Pierce; 11 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

Dechert, Louis Tarleton Sr.

Louis Tarleton Dechert, Sr., age 86, went to his heavenly home surrounded by family and music on October 21, 2017. He was born January 18, 1931 in Junction, Texas to parents Clarence and Bea Fisher Dechert. He is survived by Marietta, his wife of 68 years, daughter
Deborah Jackson of San Antonio, son Louis T. Dechert, Jr. (Paula Sue) of Perkins, Oklahoma, 6 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren.

He was commissioned in the U.S. Army in 1952 and retired in 1973 with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. During his Army career, he served in the Korean War and spent four
tours of duty in Vietnam. He also served in South America and Germany. He was proudest of becoming a Green Beret. He was awarded the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star of Valor, the Bronze Star for Merit, the Purple Heart and awards and commendations from the Korean,
Vietnamese and Bolivian governments. He authored numerous articles in military and secular journals.

After retirement, he consulted with international refugee organizations regarding relief and refugee issues following the Vietnam War. He served as International Director of the Christian Missionary Alliance (CMA) and National Evangelical Associations relief project, OPERATION HEARTBEAT. He recruited, trained and directed staffs at five refugee sponsoring offices in the United States, Canada and Guam. HEARTBEAT located sponsors for over 25,000 refugees, and the procedures and techniques pioneered then continue to be utilized by the United States’ and United Nations’ refugee and rural development agencies.

LTC Dechert was ordained as a CMA pastor in 1988. In 2004, he was elected President, Korean War Veterans Association (KWVA), a national veterans corporation affiliated with the International Federation of Korean War Veterans. He continued serving KWVA until recently.

He was the great great grandson of John Berry, hero/survivor of the Battle of San Jacinto and a proud member of the Sons of the Texas Republic. He loved the Hill Country, its hillsides covered with bluebonnets and mesquite, and being part of a large German clan. He was blessed to have many friends and will be remembered often.

Once a soldier,
always a soldier.

Delecaris, Alexander

Alexander Delecaris, 91, passed away January 30, 2022. Born in Canton, Ohio on May 25, 1930, his parents were Kyriacos and Antigone Delecaris, who were Greek immigrants that left their homes in Ordou, Turkey and moved to Kavala, Greece. They made the voyage to New York City and settled in Canton in the early 1920s. They moved again to Haverhill, Massachusetts when Alex was two or three years old.

He had an older sister, Helen, and an older brother, Tasso (Antonio). Alex learned how to speak Greek when he was four years old because his parents would only speak Greek in the house. He also learned how to speak Japanese when he was in the military while stationed in Japan in the late 1940s-early 1950s.

He enlisted in the Army Air Force in 1946, which officially became the Air Force in 1947. He was only 16 years old when he enlisted, lying about his age saying he was 18 years old. He was bored with high school and decided to enlist in the military. After boot camp, he was sent to Japan and then to South Korea from 1946 until 1951, before being transferred back to the United States.

Alex was a cryptographer in the Air Force during the Korean War. He served in the 5th Air Force division that was led by General Douglas McArthur of the United Nations Command Forces. While stationed in Japan in the late 1940s, Alex was part of a select unit of military personnel that worked specifically for General McArthur.

Alex was awarded numerous commendation medals during his 20 years of service in the U.S. Air Force including several World War II medals and the Korean War Service medal. He served in the Air Force from 1946 until 1967, retiring with the rank of Technical Sergeant.

He married Diana Avgides in 1958 in Belleville, Illinois. He was stationed at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis in 1958, where his first son, Karl, was born in 1959. He was transferred to Honolulu, Hawaii where his second son, Frank, was born in 1962. He moved back to Illinois in 1963, where his daughter Maria was born in 1966 at Scott Air Force base, in the St. Louis area.

After he retired from the military, he was hired by Southwestern Bell Telephone Company in 1967 and worked for SWB for 20 years, retiring in 1987. He was a network manager and was credited with saving the company 40 million dollars in the mid 80s with a project that he directed and led his team. The project he spearheaded in his department was one of his proudest accomplishments in his life. He received an esteemed award from the CEO of the company at the time for his innovative marketing idea that was presented to him at a corporate awards ceremony in 1986.

Alex moved his family to Kansas City, Missouri in 1968 when the department he was involved in with SWB transferred him there. He was a 1974 graduate of Avila College in Kansas City, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree. He was on the Avila Alumni Board of Directors in the late 70s and early 80s. He was a member of the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation in South Kansas City and served on the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Board as well. Alex was also a Jackson County Election Board judge.

After his first wife, Diana, died in 1981, he remarried in 1983 to his second wife, Teddy, and divorced in 1987.

While in Hawaii for the Air Force, Alex met Elvis Presley, who was performing two shows in Honolulu to raise money for the Pearl Harbor memorial in 1961. Alex was in a staging crew of military personnel involved with setting up the concert in the auditorium that Elvis performed in and met him during a meet and greet event before the show. From then on, Elvis was his favorite music artist. Alex also liked rock and country music artists and bands.

Alex’s hobbies included photography, which he planned to do professionally if he was not hired by the SWB. He was a part-time NBA basketball scorekeeper at St. Louis Hawks games in the 1960s. He knew several of the Celtics basketball players and worked alongside the long-time radio announcer for the Boston Celtics, Johnny Most, who was a friend of his and got him the scorekeeper job when the Celtics played the Hawks in St. Louis.

Alex was a Boston Red Sox fan and Boston Celtics fan as well as a Kansas City Royals and Chiefs fan. Alex was an avid coin collector. He also had an extensive collection of movies. He enjoyed traveling extensively. He was very skilled at building cabinets, bookshelves, tables, desks, and other woodworking projects.

Later in life, Alex liked to tell amusing stories about his military past. He was extremely proud to have served in the military, particularly the U.S. Air Force. The last few years of his life, he would wear a U.S. Air Force ball cap everyday and liked to salute everyone he would see. He enjoyed being a family man and raising three kids along with his wife, Diana.

He is survived by his sons, Karl Delecaris of St. Louis, Frank Delecaris of Kansas City, and his daughter Maria of Lee’s Summit, Missouri; two grandchildren, Nick Delecaris of Indianapolis, Indiana and Diana Delecaris of St. Louis, Missouri; his niece Lynn Delecaris of St. Ignatius, Montana; his nephew Steven Dubanevich of Virginia Beach, Virginia; and two great grandchildren, Peter Delecaris and Sophia Delecaris of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Visitation in Kansas City was from 2:30-4:30 p.m., with a Trisagion service at 2:30 p.m., followed by military honors on Saturday, February 5, 2022 at Park Lawn Funeral Home, 8251 Hillcrest Rd., Kansas City, Missouri. Services in Illinois were under the direction of Kassly Funeral Home. Visitation will be 11AM-12PM, Thursday, February 10 at Kassly Funeral Home, 9900 St. Claire Ave., Fairview Heights, Illinois, with funeral services to follow at 12:30 p.m., at St. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church, 405 Huntwood Road, Swansea, Illinois.  Burial was in Mount Hope Cemetery, 9401 W. Main St. Belleville, Illinois.

Dennis, Vernon L.

Vernon L. Dennis, 90, of Fairview Heights, Illinois, born Friday, October 21, 1932, in Eldorado, Illinois, passed away Monday, December 26, 2022 at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in Saint Louis, Missouri.

Vernon worked as a Supervisor for Monsanto Chemical Company. He was a proud United States Air Force veteran serving during the Korean War. He was a member of Gothic Lodge #852 AF&AM, Scottish Rite Bodies where he received his 33rd in 1984, past Most Wise Master - Fraternal Secretary, as well as past board of directors and treasurer, and Ainad Shrine, Order of Demolay/Cross of Honor. Vernon also belonged to the Elks Lodge #664 in Fairview Heights, was the past trustee of Canteen Township, and past chairman of Southwest Regional Port Authority.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Frances "Bonnie" Kleinschnittger Dennis; son, Ronald Dennis; daughter, Kathleen S. Collins; parents, Ezera and Ruby Hobgood Dennis. Surviving are his son-in-law, James Collins of Belleville, Illinois; sister, Lou Prodrasky of Chicago, Illinois; three grandchildren, Kristin (A.J.) Scharf of Millstadt, Illinois, Joseph Holliday of Shiloh, Illinois, Sarah (Scott) Scoggan of Quincy, Illinois; five great-grandchildren, T.J. Scharf, Makenzie Scharf, Johnathan Holliday, Madison Holliday and Collins Scoggan; brother-in-law, Rich Crowe; niece, Sally Crowe; nephew, David Crowe; and many dear nieces and nephews.

Memorials: In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Children's Dyslexia Center-Southern Illinois. Visitation: Visitation from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm, Friday, December 30th, 2022 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville. Special Services: A Masonic Service will be held at 5:30 pm, Friday, December 30th, 2022 at Kurrus Funeral Home. Funeral: A Memorial Service will be held at 6:00 pm, Friday, December 30th, 2022, at Kurrus Funeral Home, with Rev. Karen Oplt officiating. Interment: A procession will leave Kurrus Funeral Home on Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 10:15 am for interment at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.

dePyssler, Steven L.

Col. Steven L. dePyssler, 101, died of complications from coronavirus on July 25, 2020.  Called the "unofficial mayor of Barksdale Air Force Base, he was the only known American veteran to have served in four wars.

He was born in Chicago on July 21, 1919, but considered the military as his home. Colonel dePyssler began his military career serving in the U.S. Army during World War II. He later transferred to the U.S. Air Force and went on to serve in the Korean War, the French Indochina War, and the Vietnam War, as well as at the Bay of Pigs Invasion (on loan to the CIA) and the Dominican Republic conflict. He held every enlisted, warrant officer and officer rank during his career from the rank of private to colonel during his over 38 years of active duty.

After his retirement, dePyssler worked in the Retirees Office at Louisiana’s Barksdale Air Force Base for 40 years and was the office’s director for more than 30 of those years. Saying his goal was to help at least one person each day, dePyssler helped veterans get their VA benefits, as well as assisting widows of veterans. He continued working all his life, coming to the base to help veterans even after his 100th birthday in 2019. He volunteered at the Director of the Retiree Activities Office, Barksdale AFB from 1988 to 2020. His legacy including initiating action for the Northwest LA Veteran’s Home in Bossier City, War Memorial in front of the Bossier City Complex and the Fallen Soldier Cross Monument in the NW LA Veteran’s Cemetery.

The colonel was an avid golfer and sportsman. Very few people knew that he played basketball on a scholarship with Loyola University in Chicago before going into the service in 1941. He had a tryout with the Chicago Bulls pro basketball team in the NBA, but was just too small. He was the Illinois State Amateur Boxing Champion and lost in the finals of the Armed Forces National Boxing Championships. This was his last fight and only loss in his career. He was very proud to have played with the March AFB basketball team that was made up of mostly the West Point Academy Basketball team. The team won the AF Championship and Steve was selected and played on the All-Air Force team. Colonel dePyssler was also a past president of the Ark-La-Tex Chapter of the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA). He graduated from Mt. Carmel High School in Chicago and credits them with giving him the right kind of education and guidance to have enabled him to lead such a worthwhile and pleasurable life.

Colonel dePyssler is survived by his loving wife, Gloria of 75 years whom he loved deeply and who should be credited with every worthwhile thing that Steve ever accomplished. She is a very special person who loves her family, nature and all living things. Other survivors include daughters Carol Wendt of Evans, Georgia and Stephanie Hoestra of Prescott, Arizona; son Dr. Bruce dePyssler of Carrboro, North Carolina; and two grandsons, Kevin Wendt of Newnan, Georgia and Darian Wendt of Grove City, Ohio.

The family requests memorials may be made to the “Steve dePyssler, Mt. Carmel HS Scholarship Fund” at Community Foundation.

DesPain, Robert "Bob" Lee

Robert "Bob" Lee DesPain, a lifelong resident of Collinsville, Illinois, passed away on Wednesday, February 23, 2022, at Eden Village Care Center in Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Bob was born on October 5, 1929, in Collinsville to the late Charles and Anne (nee Guenther) DesPain. He graduated from Collinsville High School in 1947, then attended St. Louis University until he was drafted into the Army (Korean War) in 1951. He was honorably discharged in 1954 as 1st Lieutenant.

While both working at Swift & Company, Bob met Betty Wilkirson, from East St. Louis. They were married on May 31, 1952. Bob was employed by New York Life as an insurance agent, earning the designation Chartered Life Underwriter. In 1982, he opened DesPain Investment Solutions with his son Don. He served as the chairman of the planning commission and was the Finance Commissioner for the City of Collinsville. Bob was past President of the Lions Club and Collinsville Jaycees. He served on the committee for the new high school and the opening of Oliver C. Anderson Hospital. Bob was a champion of government transparency.
Bob was very proud of his sons and their families. He enjoyed being part of their lives, celebrating their interest, passions, and careers.

He was preceded in death by his parents, his two sisters, Doris DesPain and Charlene Keller and her husband, Bob. He is survived by his beloved wife of 69 years, Betty DesPain; three sons: David (Susan) DesPain of Ladue, Missouri, Don (Peggy) DesPain of Collinsville, and Doug (Rebecca) DesPain of Freeburg, Illinois; five grandchildren: Bobby (Angelica) DesPain, Maggie (Kent) Dunson, Jimmy DesPain, Donny (Miranda) DesPain and Meghan (Josh) Klaas; five great-grandchildren: Warren, Eloise, Holty, Emma and Ella; two nephews: Kenny (Linda) Keller and Craig (Tina) Keller, numerous great nieces and nephews.

Upon his request, Bob was cremated and private services were held. Donations may be made to Collinsville Faith in Action and will be received at Barry Wilson Funeral Home, 2800 N. Center Street, Maryville, Illinois 62062.

Dibben, Darrell Wallace "Dib"

Darrell (Dib) Wallace Dibben was born March 30, 1930, to Esther and Wallace Dibben in Flandreau, South Dakota. He died April 12, 2020, from complications of the COVID-19 virus. Darrell graduated from the University of South Dakota and earned his graduate degree from the University of Iowa. He was a proud veteran of the Korean War. He was stationed in Korea and Hawaii where he worked as a communication specialist. Darrell taught high school in Emmetsburg, Iowa, for 6 years. He married Marjorie Tesdahl Meyerholz November 19, 1960. In 1965, he began his 30-year tenure at Dana College where he taught communications, language arts, and education classes. He was instrumental in starting the Dana College radio station KDCVFM and remained the manager and advisor until his retirement in 1995. He loved teaching, but his great passion was mentoring students. One of his proudest moments was being voted "Professor of the Year" by the student body in 1988. He continued his passion for mentoring by being a part of the TeamMates program for many years after his retirement. Darrell was an active member of First Lutheran Church for 54 years where he served on many committees including Church Council President and the Stephan Ministry Program. He is survived by four children: Sherri Meyerholz Andersen, Shelli Meyerholz Mosser (Tim), David Dibben (Jann), and Daniel Dibben (Merri). He is survived by 9 grandchildren: Scott Andersen, Brian Andersen (Lynn), Lori Andersen Connelly (Brian), Lindsey Northwall Lind (Matt), Andrew Northwall (Staci), Kelsie Dibben, Derek Dibben, Ryan Dibben, and Molly Dibben. He is also survived by 12 great-grandchildren and 4 great-great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Marge; sisters, Rosemary Aus and Adele Olssen; and one grandchild, Amy Northwall. Memorials are suggested in Darrell's name to First Lutheran Church or Open Door Mission. Online condolences may be left at A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date.

Diehl, Robert (Bob)

Bob Diehl died October 27, 2006 after fighting cancer for the last five years.  He served in the 2nd Platoon (7th Marines) in Korea December 1951 to December 1952.  His widow lives in Elgin, IL.

Dillon, William J. Jr.

William J. Dillon, Jr., 86, died Wednesday, November 30, 2016, surrounded by family at the Lebanon Medical Center Hospice after a long illness. He taught area children chess at local libraries and schools. He was the devoted husband of the late June Theresa Dillon after 53 years of marriage.

William was born in Brooklyn, NY and attended the School of Industrial Arts in New York City where he met June. He served in the U.S. Army infantry as a Corporal in the Korean War where he was awarded the Military Order of the Purple Heart. After his honorable military discharge, he and June raised their family on Long Island and later moved to Pennsylvania in their retirement.

Mr. Dillon was formerly the Facilities Manager at the Oaks Condominiums and served on the board of directors. He retired as a Fire Safety Inspector at the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant and had worked most of his life in construction, including construction of New York’s World Trade Center in the 1970’s. Besides chess, Mr. Dillon enjoyed fishing and wood crafts.

Family includes: Deborah and Wayne Irvin of Lancaster, Patricia Dillon of Pottstown, Thomas Dillon of Stroudsburg, and Michael, who was stillborn. Loving grandchildren include: Jennifer and Ralfael Contes of Lititz, PA; Rachael and Kevin Eschleman of Leola, PA; Rebeccah Dillon of Asheville, NC; Thalia Dillon of the Bronx, NY; Nicholas and Marcus Dillon of Stroudsburg, PA; and Elizabeth Roberts of Lititz, PA.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 AM Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at St. John Neumann Catholic Church, 601 E. Delp Rd., Lancaster with the Rev. Dan Powell as Celebrant. Burial will follow in Indiantown Gap National Cemetery at 1:30 PM. Family and friends will be received from 6 to 8 PM Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at Charles F. Snyder, Jr Funeral Home & Crematory, 3110 Lititz Pike, Lititz.

In lieu of flowers, William would be honored to have donations made in his name to Hospice & Community Care, PO Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604.

Dillow, Homer "Gene"

Lt. Col. Homer "Gene" Dillow, USAF Ret., born on February 27, 1929, in Dongola, Illinois, passed away on Thursday, August 5, 2021.  Gene attended Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, before joining the United States Air Force.  While stationed in Japan, he met his wife Jane.  He was a navigator and flew support mission in Korea, French Indochina, and special air missions with the 89th Military Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base during President Kennedy's and President Johnson's administrations.  Gene also flew with Air Rescue in Hawaii, as well as support missions for Apollo moon missions.  He was the Director for the Air Force Rescue Center in Southeast Asia and received the Korean Service medal and a Bronze Star.

Gene enjoyed carpentry as well as furniture repair and refinishing.  He went on to teach aerospace and industrial arts classes at O'Fallon Township High School from 1979 to 1983.  Gene loved to tell stories about his travels around the world, golfing, and he always rooted for the St. Louis Cardinals.

He was preceded in death by his wife of 62 years, Reva "Jane" Cuthbert Dillow; his daughter, Mary Lynn Bown; his parents, Walter E. and Louise Dillow; birth mother, Ethel Ruth Knupp Dillow; and his sister, Anita Ruth Mitchell.

Gene is survived by his daughter, Dee Ann (Jon) Johnson; his son, Bruce (Kathy) Dillow; his grandchildren, Melissa, JoBeth, Jordan, Kristina, Nicholas, Riley, and Randy; six great-grandson; his sister, Lura Dene Parke; and his brother, Frank Dillow. 

Gene and Jane's cremated remains will be interred at the Mt. Zion Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Dongola, Illinois, with private family graveside services at a later date.  In lieu of flowers, memorials can be sent to Mt. Zion Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Dongola, P.O. Box 383, Dongola, Illinois 62926, or your favorite charity.

Dinan, Paul "Babe"

Paul “Babe” Dinan, 93, passed away on Thursday, December 8, 2022, at Overlook Hospital in Summit, New Jersey after a brief illness.

Born in Dobbs Ferry, New York, he grew up in Irvington-on-Hudson. He met his wife of 57 years, Susan, while employed in Burlington, Vermont for the Kimberly-Clarke Corp. In 1973, he joined his brother’s Madison Avenue firm, Dinaco, Inc. and moved to Westfield, New Jersey. Dinaco’s specialty was point-of-purchase advertising for major corporations like Exxon, PepsiCo and Titleist.

Paul was a standout athlete at Irvington High School where his record for the 100-yard dash still stands. He received athletic scholarships to both NC State and, later, Utah State, where he graduated with a degree in education. At both colleges, he excelled in football and baseball. A knee injury prevented him from pursuing inquiries from the NY Giants, the Chicago Bears and the San Francisco 49ers. He also had a tryout with the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field and played a year of professional baseball with the Pittsburgh Pirates farm team. Paul then served in the US Army during the Korean War.

During his corporate career, he became an avid golfer and a member of Burlington Country Club. Although he didn’t start playing golf until his 30s, he had three hole-in-ones.

He will be remembered for his razor-sharp wit, sense of humor and easy-going personality. His friendships were long and true.

Surviving are his wife, Susan Edwards Dinan; his sons, Paul Dinan, Jr. and Tim Dinan (and his wife, Jill); his grandson, Teddy; his daughter, Tracey Dinan (and her husband, Noel). He was predeceased by his parents, Michael and Therese, and his brother, James.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Irvington Historical Society.


DiPiano, Rocco J. Sr.

Rocco J. Di Piano, Sr., 80, of Springfield, died at HCR Manor Care of Mountainside on Wednesday, December 9, 2009. The visitation will be held from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. on Sunday, December 13, in Paul Ippolito Summit Memorial, 7 Summit Ave., Summit. The funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 14, in Our Lady of Peace Church, 111 South St., New Providence, followed by the interment in St. Teresa’s Cemetery, Summit.

Mr. Di Piano was born and raised in Summit and lived in New Providence for 38 years before moving to Springfield 10 years ago.

He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Marie (nee Renzulli) of Springfield; his sons, Rocco, Jr. and his wife Caryl of Fanwood, Michael of Summit, and a daughter Denise Di Piano and her husband, Bob Lynn, of Budd Lake; grandchildren Rocco, III and Monique Magness and great-granddaughter Cora Magness. He is also survived by his brothers Jerome and John De Piano and sisters, Carol Gamba and Helen Ingaro. He was predeceased by his siblings Adolph, Alphonso, Jr., Leonard, Jenny Fornaro and Lorraine Terhune.

Di Piano was an Army veteran of the Korean War. He served in active duty combat from 1951-53, during which time he was wounded and received a Purple Heart. After his release from active duty he went on to serve in the Army Reserves from 1953-57. In addition to the Purple Heart, he was also the recipient of two Bronze Star medals and the Distinguished Service Cross, among other commendations. He was a member of the American Legion Post 433 in New Providence, where he was a past Commander and American Legion Post 228 in Springfield.

Mr. Di Piano was the owner and operator of RDP Landscaping in Summit for 44 years before retiring in 1996. He was an avid baseball fan and was a coach for the American Legion Baseball, winning a state championship in the 1970’s. He also played for and coached in the Summit Men’s Fast Pitch Softball League for 50 years.

In lieu of flowers please make donations in his memory to Deborah Hospital, 200 Trenton Road, Browns Mills, N.J. 08015.

Doan, James C.

James C. Doan died August 1, 1998.  He served in Korea January 9, 1951 through May 9, 1952.

Dodge, George Franklin "Sonny"

George Franklin “Sonny” Dodge, age 84, died on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at Norwood Hospital, surrounded by the comfort of his loving family.

Born in Norwood on September 4, 1928, George proudly served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War. He and Georgette, his devoted wife of 58 years, were married in Foxborough on April 2, 1954.

George was employed for many years with the former Foxborough State Hospital, retiring from the Maintenance Department in 1993. Known as a tireless worker, he would often serve in other positions as well and become a familiar face as a baker at the former Donut Kettle in Foxborough center. An avid reader in his later years, He enjoyed history, real-life adventure and current events. He also was a life-long NASCAR enthusiast and serious collector of vintage die-cast model vehicles.  George was a simple man, private and humble, content in his role as a proud and devoted, husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

He is survived by his loving wife Georgette M. (Theberge) Dodge, children Gerald Dodge of Connecticut, Michael and Christopher Dodge, both of N. Attleboro and Lori Dodge of Sandwich. George was the devoted grandfather of Gerry Dodge, Jr., Amber Dodge-Bengston and Derek Dodge, and proud Great grandfather of Nathan and Reagan Bengston. In addition, he was a loving brother to Dixie Ferrini of Norton and the late Robert Dodge, and beloved cousin of Nancy Quinn of Florida.

Dolvin, Welborn G.

he tenth child and fifth son of James B. and Lily Griffin Dolvin, Welborn was born on the family farm on 8 February 1916 in Greene County, Georgia, where his father was a respected “cotton and cattleman.”   He died May 17, 1991 in Stevensville, Virginia.

His early years were idyllic; he learned early to love the land and its many products. An older sister taught him and other farm children in a one-room school, the Dolvin School, located on the family farm. He became an avid hunter and fisherman and spent long hours exploring the countryside; he carried these interests all his life. After graduating from the nearby Greensboro High School, he went to The Citadel in Charleston for two years, until he was appointed to West Point by Congressman Brown of Georgia's 10th District.

The Citadel experience made life at USMA easy for Tom, as he was soon nicknamed by his classmates; this name was then his chosen one for life. No doubt his Georgia heritage and love of the outdoors prompted him to select Infantry, with his first station at Benning in Company E, 29th Infantry Regiment. Soon bitten by the ‘armour bug,’ he transferred to the 67th Infantry, a medium tank regiment, as a platoon leader and company commander for 33 months, to include the Louisiana Maneuvers. In the fall of 1941, Tom moved to a light tank battalion as both battalion operations and intelligence officer. A year later, he was promoted to major and ordered to Africa, where Tom became the battalion executive on arrival at Casablanca. Fighting first in support of the 3d Infantry Division in Morocco, his battalion then fought with the 45th Infantry Division at Salerno, and then to Italy, serving with the 34th, 85th and 88th Divisions at such battles as the Liberation of Naples, the Battle of Monte Cassino, and the Liberation of Rome.

In July 1944, Tom joined yet another battalion, the 191st Medium Tank Battalion, as the battalion commander; they supported the 45th Division at the invasion of Southern France. Promoted to lieutenant colonel in October 1944, Tom’s battalion supported the 45th Division through France and into Germany, with the capture of Munich their last battle.

After almost three years in Africa, Italy, France and Germany, Tom was ordered home in November 1945 to the Infantry School, as chairman of the Armor Group. Here Tom instructed and took some instruction himself, winning both his Parachute and Glider Wings and, more importantly, winning the hand in marriage of Cynthia Kent Burress, daughter of the Infantry School Commandant, Major General Withers A. Burress. Having demonstrated his leadership and winning ways to the FOLLOW ME troops, Tom then transferred to Armor in 1949 and took his new bride to enjoy student life at Leavenworth.

Graduation and the Korean War found most students on orders to Japan; Tom was ordered to organize and take into combat a new tank battalion, the 89th. This battalion, also soon known as Task Force Dolvin, had all the early day experiences—the withdrawal, holding the Pusan perimeter, the break-out and pursuit as part of the 25th Division. Later, he supported the 1 st Cavalry Division and the British Commonwealth Brigade in the drive to the Yalu, before rejoining the 25th Division. The actions in covering the withdrawal of the 25th Division across the Congchon River was a very significant one and is well covered in S. L. A. Marshall’s book, The River and the Gauntlet. After 11 months of hard combat, Tom was promoted to colonel and reassigned as chief of staff of the 25th Division. Tom’s contributions were also recognized by the awards of the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star (four times) and the Legion of Merit.

Returning to the United States, he spent two years in Army R&D, then attended the Army War College, served as G-3 of the Armor Center, and later as director of the Command and Staff Department of the Armor School. The Dolvins returned to Washington, DC for another R&D tour of three years before Tom assumed command of Combat Command A, 4th Armored Division, in Germany.

Here again, Tom’s fierce competitive spirit was evidenced in the accomplishments of his units in tactics, gunnery, maintenance, administration and athletics, where “Coach Dolvin” produced the regimental-level theater championship football team. His promotion to brigadier general in 1961 brought orders to the NATO Headquarters, LANDCENT, in Fontainbleau, as the G-3 for two busy and happy years.

The Dolvins returned to Fort Knox, where Tom served one year as assistant commandant before joining R&D again as the Department of the Army Program Manager of the joint US-F. R. G. Main Battle Tank Program, as a major general. After three years, Tom was selected to command the 3d Armored Division in Germany, a two year tour. Building on Tom’s European experience with both U.S. and NATO units, the Army chose him to be the Chief of Staff, Central Army Group.

Vietnam, and Big Abe, called, and Tom served over a year as Chief of Staff for MAC-V, before being promoted to lieutenant general and assuming command of the Army’s XXIV Corps in-country. A year later, Tom moved his family to Japan and took over as Commander, US Forces Japan before retiring in 1975, after 36 years of commissioned service.

He continued serving in two important semi-diplomatic posts: First as the DoD Representative and Advisor to Ambassador Bunker on the critical Panama Canal Treaty Negotiations, and second, as the Chairman, JCS’ Representative to the Mutual Balanced Force Reductions Talks in Vienna, Austria. On his reretirement in 1982, Tom was awarded the DoD Distinguished Civilian Service Award for these two concurrent positions.

Tom went back to the land, purchasing and successfully managing three tree farms in Georgia and Virginia and winning the title of “Tree Farmer of the Year” from the Virginia Forestry Association in 1986.

Even in this era when we all served, Tom’s exemplary service and accomplishments are legend. Twenty months as a battalion commander in two wars, 70 months overseas in combat roles, and his numerous awards, to include the Distinguished Service Cross, four Distinguished Service Medal’s, four Silver Stars, Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Bronze Star Medal for Valor, the Air Medal, three Purple Hearts, the Army and JSC Commendation Medals, the United States Distinguished Unit Citation, plus multiple awards from France, Germany, South Korea and South Vietnam all attest to his many military capabilities. The final award from our government, the DoD Distinguished Civilian Service Award, proved his versatility. Fifteen campaigns in three wars make Tom an honored and valuable member of the Long Gray Line. As one of his soldiers said, “What a guy!”

Tom is survived by his wife of 42 years, Mrs. Cynthia Burress Dolvin; three children: W. G. Dolvin, Jr., Charles A. Dolvin, and Mrs. Virginia Dolvin Peabody; two sisters, Mrs. Ann Dolvin Rozier and Mrs. Lily Dolvin Marsh; and five grandchildren.

A tremendous competitor and contributor, Tom’s international service and battlefield accomplishments add luster to the Class of 1939, to the Military Academy itself, and surely to the Anny and the Nation that we all revere.

We remember him with pride, gratitude and love. —W. D. Crittenberger, Jr.’42

Donahue, James Keefe

James Keefe Donahue, former president and CEO of Industrial Shows of America Inc. who also was producer of the International Auto Show and Chesapeake Bay Boat Show, died June 23, 2011 of heart failure at Good Samaritan Hospital.  The Lutherville resident was 88.

Mr. Donahue was born and raised in Arlington, Mass., and was a 1942 graduate of Belmont High School.  He enlisted in the Army in 1943 and served with an infantry unit in Europe, receiving a battlefield commission. At the Battle of the Bulge, he established a roadblock that held off the advance of a German unit. He was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star and was discharged with the rank of lieutenant in 1946.

Mr. Donahue was working as a professional minor league baseball umpire when he was recalled to active duty in 1951 during the Korean War. While serving with Company F, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division in Korea, Mr. Donahue led an attack on enemy bunkers, "firing his weapon with deadly accuracy inflicting numerous casualties on the foe. Inspired by bravery under fire, his men rose as one and resumed their attack until the objective was secure," read the Silver Star citation that was presented for "gallantry in action."

Discharged in 1952, he returned to Boston, where he was a salesman for the Thomas Edison Dictaphone Co., and then established a public relations firm in 1956.  While working for Dictaphone, Mr. Donahue met his future wife, the former Jean Morrison, when he tried to sell her boss a Dictaphone. While he didn't make the sale, he won the woman, whom he married in 1953.

In conjunction with the Boston Herald newspaper, he produced numerous trade shows in the Boston area. In 1974, he moved to Baltimore when he established Industrial Shows of America Inc., the International Auto Show and 25 other industrial and machine tool shows throughout the U.S. and Mexico.  At the time he sold the business to Penton Media and retired, his company was the largest privately owned trade show company in the nation, said his daughter, Susan Donahue Cross of Lutherville.

He enjoyed playing golf and vacationing at a second home on Cape Cod. He was a member of the Eastward Ho Club.  Mr. Donahue was a communicant of the Shrine of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Mount Washington.

There are no services. Interment will be later this summer at Arlington National Cemetery.  In addition to his wife and daughter, surviving are another daughter, Janice Donahue of Lutherville; and two grandchildren.

[Source: Baltimore Sun]

Donaldson, Milton H. "Mickey" (1932-2016 )

Milton H. (Mickey) Donaldson, age 84, passed away peacefully after an extended illness on December 16, 2016 in Gaithersburg, Maryland, his home since 2012. Dr. Donaldson was born in Bessemer, Alabama. He was predeceased by his parents, Roy Maxwell Donaldson and Ruby Caldwell Donaldson, of Bessemer, Alabama.

Upon graduation from Tuscaloosa (Alabama) High School in 1950, he joined the US Marine Corps in 1951 during the Korean War.  He was wounded in Korea while serving as a member of the "Baker Bandits".

He graduated from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and obtained his medical degree from Tulane University Medical School in 1959.  Internship in Saginaw, Michigan was followed by Pediatric Residency at Charity Hospital (New Orleans) and private practice. After Fellowships at the University of Virginia he became an Assistant Professor there. In 1970 he became an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania’s Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. While there he helped establish the first Ronald McDonald House. From 1976 to 1980 Dr. Donaldson was Vice President of Cancer Control, Training and Education of the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. He then established the Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at Cooper Hospital/University Medical Center in Camden, New Jersey. In 1983 he was instrumental in starting the 51st Ronald McDonald House in Camden, where he served as Chairman of the Board until his retirement to Pinehurst, North Carolina.

Dr. Donaldson held memberships in numerous local, state, national and international medical societies and organizations, plus was widely regarded by the many patients, families, colleagues and students he touched throughout his medical career. He was honored by Villanova University with its Praxis Award in Professional Ethics in 2011 and by the Tulane Medical Alumni Association for exemplary community service.

Dear to his heart was serving on the Session of Community Presbyterian Church in Pinehurst. He also had the privilege of being a member of the oldest golfing society in the country – The Tin Whistles – and had three holes-in-one. He was a charter member of the Sandhills Marine Corps League in North Carolina.

He leaves behind his beloved wife of 63 years, Christine Orso Donaldson; his children, Michael Donaldson (Dorothy) of Monrovia, Maryland, and Dawn Donaldson Lowrie (Richard) of Bethesda, Maryland; as well as grandchildren, Andrew and Matthew Lowrie and Maxwell and Philip Donaldson.

Burial and memorial service will be at a later date in Pinehurst. In lieu of flowers please make memorial contributions to Community Presbyterian Church, P.O. Box 1449, Pinehurst, North Carolina 28374; or to the Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey, 550 Mickle Blvd, Camden, New Jersey 08103.

Dooley, Martin Joseph Jr.

Martin Joseph Dooley Jr., 92 of Belleville, Illinois, and formerly of Granite City, Illinois, passed away on Saturday, April 23, 2022 at his home. Martin was born on September 15, 1929 in St. Louis, the son of the late Martin J. and Edna (MCabe) Dooley Sr.

Martin was a machinist for McDonnell Douglas and Boeing Aircraft and proudly served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War. He was a long-time and active member of St. Elizabeth Catholic Church in Granite City where he was a member of the Holy Name Society, a member of the Granite City Knights of Columbus and the Granite City Elks Lodge 1063. Martin was a graduate of the St. Louis University High School Class of 1948. He was a well known accomplished athlete, excelling in swimming and diving. He loved all sports, especially golf, where a scored 3 holes-in-one. He was a soccer coach and was always ready for a good game of basketball, football or a baseball game. Martin loved to be outside where he enjoyed his days of fishing or just spending time with his family. Martin will be remembered for the love of his family and all the special times they shared together.

Martin is survived by and will be missed by his wife; Helen D. (Kayser) Dooley, whom he married on May 10, 1950; daughters, Mary and Jim Payne of Parker, Colorado, Patricia “Patty” and Bob Gregory of Belleville; sons, Marty and Joan Dooley of Ft. Collins, Colorado, Daniel J. and Pam Dooley of Morton, Illinois; grandchildren, Caitlin Dooley, Meaghan Dooley, Henry Dooley, Matthew Dooley; great-grandchildren, Zoey Balcer, Alex Balcer, Mazzy Balcer; daughter-in-law, Jennifer Sweeny Balcer Jochens and many other close family members and friends.

In addition to his parents, Martin was preceded in death by his grandson; Christian Balcer; sisters, Patricia Dooley, Jane Dooley Smith, Rose Dooley Skillman; brother, James Dooley.

In celebration of Martin’s life, a visitation will be held on Wednesday, April 27, 2022 from 11:00 a.m. until the time of the services at 12:00 p.m. at St. Elizabeth Catholic Church, 2300 Pontoon Road in Granite City with Fr. Alfred Tumwesigye officiating. Memorial donations are suggested to Beverly Farm Foundation, 6301 Humbert Road, Godfrey, Illinois 62035. Beverly Farm Foundation is a loving, caring home for adults with developmental disabilities, providing each individual with physical and emotional security and a dignified quality of life, with opportunities and challenges, within each individual’s functional capabilities. Irwin Chapel, 3960 Maryville Road in Granite City is serving the family.

Doppelhammer, James Allen

James Allen Doppelhammer of Charleston, Illinois, died March 13, 2024 at his home. He had undergone 19 chemo treatments during a losing battle against pancreatic cancer.

Born September 08, 1946, Jim was reared by Frank Henry and Ruby Minerva Olson Doppelhammer. He graduated from high school in his hometown of Albert Lea, Minnesota, and began studies at DeVry University in Chicago in 1964, graduating in 1966.

Jim was the weekend manager of Tony’s Pizzeria in Bellwood, Illinois, in 1977. From 1981 to 1986 he operated Pioneer Pizza in Bloomingdale, a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. On July 10, 1987, he married Ava Darlene Slifer, a 1973 graduate of Charleston High School. Jim was a computer expert who worked for the Arkansas Department of Environmental Control. He and Ava lived in Conway, Arkansas at that time and they opened Windy City Pizza there in 1994. They operated the popular restaurant for three years before moving back to Ava’s hometown of Charleston.

Jim opened Double-Hammer Computer Services in 2006. The company specialized in computer repair and virus and spyware removal. During the 17 years that he operated his computer business, Jim helped multiple businesses and organizations have a vibrant presence on the Internet. Among them were the Korean War Educator and Korean War Veterans Association websites, both of which benefitted tremendously from Jim’s devotion to and appreciation of Korean War veterans. He served as both organizations’ skilled webmaster.

On September 03, 2016, while continuing Double-Hammer Computers, Jim and Ava also opened Windy City Pizza in Charleston. Due to circumstances beyond her control, his wife Ava, who called Jim, “my best friend and love of my life of 36 years”, closed their successful pizzeria one day after his death.

Jim is survived by his wife Ava; five children by a previous marriage; one stepdaughter; numerous grandchildren; a sister Janet Reshetar; and nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and one daughter.

Jim was cremated in Forsythe, Illinois. Funeral services are pending.

Dornfried, Robert Bertrum Sr.

Robert Bertrum Dornfried Sr., 86, of Kensington, Connecticut, loving husband of Margaret Ann (Creamer) Dornfried, passed away peacefully early Saturday morning, January 6, 2018. Born in New Britain, son of the late Joseph and the late Pauline (Meyer) Dornfried, he lived his whole life in Kensington where he graduated from Berlin High School in 1949.

He served in the US Army in Korea in combat with the 3rd Infantry Division as a machine gunner and Machine Gun Squad Leader seeing action at Chorwon Valley and Outpost Harry. He received the Good Conduct Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense, Korean Service with two stars, Combat Infantry Badge, and a Bronze Star.

After his return from Korea, Bob began his career as a carpenter and started his business, Dornfried Builders, and his reputation for hard work was well known. He served on the Berlin Veterans' Commission and the Selective Service Board. A regular blood donor, he donated 17 gallons of blood, and volunteered for the Red Cross as a driver, and for 18 years at The Hospital of Central Connecticut as an escort where he was recognized as Volunteer of the Year. A proud member of the Berlin Lions Club for 44 years, he served as Club President, Fair Chairman, and Memorial Pool President.

One of his greatest joys was as superintendent of the cattle building at the fair. He was named a Knight of the Blind, and received the highest recognition awarded to Lions members, The Melvin Jones Award.

A true patriot, Bob was a charter member of VFW Post #10732 serving as Quartermaster and nine years as Commander, and was a member of the Outpost Harry Survivors Association, attending many reunions with his former brothers in arms.

Although not Italian, he was an active member of the Berlin Italian Political Independent Club where he could often be found enjoying a game of cards, served on the Board of Directors, worked on the bocce courts, and the club addition, and in 1996 was named Man of the Year. He was also a very proud sponsor and supporter of the Berlin Little League and Babe Ruth Baseball League. In September 2017 Bob was recognized by the Town of Berlin with the creation of the Robert B. Dornfried Lifetime Volunteerism Award that will recognize other individuals who demonstrate the same commitment to giving back that Bob did throughout his life.

A loving husband, father, and grandfather, in addition to his wife Peggy, he is survived
by his adoring children, Diane Dornfried, Robert B. Dornfried Jr. and his wife Louise, and Joseph E. Dornfried and his wife Donna, all of Berlin, and James P. Dornfried and his wife Caroline of Durham, North Carolina, his grandchildren who were the light of his life, Robert J.
Dornfried, James A Russo Jr., Patrick Dornfried, Andrew Dornfried, and Kelsey Dornfried, his sister-in-law, Frances Dornfried, and many thoughtful caring nieces, nephews, and friends. He was predeceased by six brothers, Joseph, Frank, Carl, John, Alfred, and Bill, and his sister, Mary Dornfeld.

Funeral services will be held Friday at 9am from Porter's Funeral Home, 111 Chamberlain Highway, Berlin, followed by a funeral liturgy at 10:00 am at St. Paul's Church, Kensington. A
reception will follow the service at the Casa Mia at The Hawthorne on the Berlin Turnpike. Burial in South Burying Ground, Kensington, will be at the convenience of the family. Friends and relatives are invited to call at the funeral home on Thursday from 5-8pm. The Berlin Lions Club will meet for a service at 7pm. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Berlin Lions Charities, P.O. Cox 23, Berlin, Connecticut 06037. Bob was passionate about helping others. Please honor him by doing something for others.

Doss, Page

Page Doss died peacefully in his sleep at the Windemere Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts on October 31, 2011. He was 77.

He was born in Springfield, Mo., and graduated from Southwest Missouri State University. He served in the Korean War in the U.S. Air Force.

Page later moved to New York city and joined the Research Institute of America, a business-oriented publishing company where he later became its president. He and his wife, Anne, moved to the Vineyard in 1986 and joined Grace Episcopal Church. Page headed the board of trustees for Havenside Senior Living apartments.

He is survived by his wife, Anne; son, Wright, of Silver Spring, Maryland, and daughter, Brett Doss Jones, of Plymouth. He has one granddaughter.

In place of flowers the family requests a donation to Windemere Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, P.O. Box 1747, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557.

A memorial service will be held at Grace Episcopal Church in Vineyard Haven on Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. Arrangements are under the care of Chapman, Cole and Gleason Funeral Home in Oak Bluffs.

Doucette, Claude Reno

Claude Reno Doucette, born in Grand Isle, Maine February 27, 1936 died from the COVID-19 virus on May 7, 2020. He was 84. A man of few words, he was a devoted family man as well as a devoted Catholic man. Claude leaves behind his loving wife of 62 years, Laurene (Langevin) Doucette and was predeceased by his parents Vital and Jeannette (Chasse) Doucette and sibling sisters Constance Daigle, Mildred Lauzon, Jeannine Albert, Geraldine Lyman and Joan Lubelczyk, and his brother Wilfred Doucette, all of Bristol. He is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, Richard and Barbara Doucette of Torrington; two daughters and sons-in-law, Debra and John Litke and Linda and James Mastrobattisto of Bristol and two granddaughters, Sydney Doucette of Torrington and Camryn Mastrobattisto of Bristol. Finally, he is survived by his brother Francis Reginald Doucette of Terryville and several nieces and nephews. Claude's family moved to Bristol, Connecticut from Maine at the end of WWII for the lure of plentiful factory work. He served in the USAF during the Korean Conflict as an aircraft engine mechanic, where he transferred those skills to Pratt & Whitney. He later retired as a mechanic assembler from the Superior Electric Company in Bristol. Claude was an avid Yankee baseball and UCONN Girls basketball fan. He also enjoyed watching Jeopardy, historical movies and other educational programs. The family would like to thank Valerie Manor Nursing home in Torrington, CT for their devotion and superior care given to Claude over the past three years. Due to the limitations imposed by the current pandemic, a Catholic mass and funeral service will be held at a TBD future date. In lieu of flowers or other gifts, please consider donating PPE supplies or any help you can to the brave first responders and health care workers on the front lines battling heroically with this COVID-19 virus. They sincerely need your support and help!

Published in The Bristol Press from May 11 to May 14, 2020

Douglas, Robert Gene

Robert G. Douglas of Michigan died October 01, 1995 at the age of 63.  He was born February 24, 1932 in Ashland, Carter County, Kentucky, a son of Harvey A. and Verna Lou Moore Douglas.  He enlisted in the Army on July 26, 1950 and was released on July 25, 1953.  He married Donna Manatee Eagle Douglas on November 09, 1951 in Detroit, Michigan.  His siblings were Carolyn Sue Douglas Fannin, Harvey Douglas Jr., Herman Douglas,, Barbara Douglas Shaffer, T.R. Douglas and Frank Douglas.  Robert G. Douglas is buried in Spratt Cemetery, Spratt, Michigan.

Doyle, Pat

Pat Doyle, 40th Infantry Division, 223rd Infantry Regiment, Item Company, 3rd Platoon, passed away June 2005. Twelve of us from San Antonio, TX, served with Pat from January 1951 to April 1952 when he was wounded while on patrol. Ruben Castro, from San Antonio also, was killed on that same patrol.  Three of us from San Antonio visited with Pat in May of 2004, during a 40th Division reunion in Schulenburg, TX. It was great to see Pat after all these years.  Pat is no longer with us, but he will always be remembered by veterans from Item Company.

Submitted by J. Alvarez.

Drachman, Vernon "Skip" Hastings

Vernon Hastings Drachman, 52, beloved husband, father, brother and uncle, died September 20, 1980, at a local hospital from complications following surgery.  He was born June 21, 1928 in Salt Lake City to Holger Michael and Stella Margaret Davie Drachman.  He married Marilyn Hansen on June 24, 1954 in Salt Lake City.

Skip was a member of the LDS Church.  He was a master craftsman and furniture refinisher who was an employee of Granite Furniture Company for 25 years.  He worked in scouting programs, coached, and actively supported WBBA Little League baseball and Ute Conference football programs.  He was a veteran of the Korean War where he served in Company F, 224th Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division. 

He is survived by his wife; sons Michael V. and Kevin H.; daughter Leslie A.; and sisters Eileen F. and Stella A. Winn, all of Salt Lake City.

Interment was in Elysian Burial Gardens.

Dulles, Allen Macy Jr.

Allen Macy Dulles, Jr., was born in 1930 in New York City. He was the son of Clover Todd and Allen Welsh Dulles, the latter Director of Central Intelligence from 1953 to 1961. He was named after his paternal grandfather, a prominent theologian. Dulles attended Buckley School, Philips Exeter Academy, and Princeton University which he left after this third year to continue his studies at the University of Oxford. In 1951, he graduated from Princeton Summa Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa. His interests included history, political science, and ancient Greek.

Dulles then joined the U.S. Marine Corps, graduating at the top of his class in the Marine Corps Platoon Leaders basic course at Quantico, Virginia. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in 1952, and immediately shipped to Korea where he was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Regiment, 1st Marine Division. On November 15, after two weeks at the front, he suffered missile wounds to the head, back, and arm which left him permanently disabled. He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Silver Star medal for wartime leadership and bravery.

Despite his infirmities, Dulles maintained a marvelous sense of humor and love for his family. His sister Joan Buresch Talley eventually assumed responsibility for his care and brought him to live in Santa Fe, aided by local friends and relatives, including his cousin Marion Seymour.
He recently contracted Covid-19, and died on November 23 at Christus St. Vincent's Regional Medical Center. Dulles, uncle of the late Matthew Buresch, is survived by his sister Joan; nieces Alexandra Buresch, Clover Jebsen Afopka, and Joana Jebsen Cook; nephews Allen Jebsen and Per Jebsen; and numerous other cousins. His early papers are on deposit at Princeton University Library.

Duncan, Arthur

Mr. Arthur S. Duncan, 83, of Thomaston, died Saturday, March 28th, 2015 at Brightmoor Hospice in Griffin.
Mr. Duncan was born in Moore, TX on October 22nd, 1931, a son of the late Jake Duncan, Jr., and Clara Saldana Duncan. He was a eight-year veteran of the U. S. Air Force and was stationed in Seoul, Korea during the Korean War. Upon his discharge in 1959 he was employed for 15 years at Robins Air Force Base as a warehouse foreman.
Mr. Duncan was raised in the Roman Catholic Church but while a long-time resident of Macon he attended the Bellview Baptist Church. He and his wife, Patricia B. Duncan, moved to Thomaston in 2009.
In addition to his wife, Mr. Duncan is survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Debra and Steve Daniel of Thomaston; four sisters, Velia Hoffman of Keesport, PA, Alice Morales of San Antonio, TX, Cecelia Lopez of Ft. Worth, TX, and Isabell (Albert) Altamirano of San Antonio, TX; two grandchildren, Blake (Amanda) Lindsey of Lizella and Christopher Daniel of Buckhead; and one great grandson, Hudson Lindsey.
The family of Mr. Duncan will receive friends at Fletcher-Day Funeral Home in Thomaston on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015 from 5 until 7 pm. A private memorial service will be held on Wednesday, April 1st, 2015 at 11:00 am at the Fletcher-Day Funeral Home with Rev. Larry Wheeler and Mr. Horace Pippin officiating.
Contributions in memory of Mr. Duncan may be made to the Alzheimer's Association , GA Chapter, 41 Perimeter Center East, Suite 550, Atlanta, GA 30346.
Fletcher-Day Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Condolences and remembrances may be expressed at
- See more at:

Mr. Arthur S. Duncan, 83, of Thomaston, Georgia, died Saturday, March 28, 2015 at Brightmoor Hospice in Griffin.

Mr. Duncan was born in Moore, Texas on October 22, 1931, a son of the late Jake Duncan, Jr., and Clara Saldana Duncan. He was an eight-year veteran of the U. S. Air Force and was stationed in Seoul, Korea during the Korean War. Upon his discharge in 1959 he was employed for 15 years at Robins Air Force Base as a warehouse foreman.

Mr. Duncan was raised in the Roman Catholic Church, but while a long-time resident of Macon, he attended the Bellview Baptist Church. He and his wife, Patricia B. Duncan, moved to Thomaston in 2009.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Duncan is survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Debra and Steve Daniel of Thomaston; four sisters, Velia Hoffman of Keesport, Pennsylvania, Alice Morales of San Antonio, Texas, Cecelia Lopez of Ft. Worth, Texas, and Isabell (Albert) Altamirano of San Antonio, Texas; two grandchildren, Blake (Amanda) Lindsey of Lizella and Christopher Daniel of Buckhead; and one great grandson, Hudson Lindsey.

The family of Mr. Duncan will receive friends at Fletcher-Day Funeral Home in Thomaston on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 from 5 until 7 pm. A private memorial service will be held on Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:00 am at the Fletcher-Day Funeral Home with Rev. Larry Wheeler and Mr. Horace Pippin officiating.

Contributions in memory of Mr. Duncan may be made to the Alzheimer's Association , Georgia Chapter, 41 Perimeter Center East, Suite 550, Atlanta, Georgia 30346.

Duncan, James C.

Funeral services were held September 9 [2012] for a highly decorated veteran from Whitco who died last week at the Eastern Kentucky Veterans Center in Hazard. James “Jim” Duncan, 82, who died September 6, was a Korean War veteran who served in the United States Army. He was a prisoner of war for more than 32 months.

Duncan was presented with the Silver Star for his “gallantry in action” on November 28, 1950. The citation on the award says the Silver Star was presented to Private Duncan by the President of the U.S “for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving with the Battery D, 15th Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Automatic Weapons) Battalion (Self Propelled), 7th Infantry Division, in action at the Chosin Reservoir, North Korea, on 28 November 1950.  On that date, the Command Post of the 1st Platoon of Battery D was taken under heavy attack by the enemy, and the personnel at the Command Post were in grave danger of being overrun by the enemy. When the Battery Commander called for volunteers to join a patrol to go to the assistance of the Platoon Command Post, Private Duncan unhesitatingly volunteered. While crossing open ground in the attack on the enemy force, the patrol was pinned down by intense enemy fire from one of the flanks. Private Duncan, with complete disregard for his own personal safety, immediately ran toward the strong point from which the enemy was firing, and with his carbine and a hand grenade neutralized it. As a result of his gallant act, the patrol continued the attack on the enemy and succeeded in killing or driving off all those who remained. The personnel in the Platoon Command Post were thus rescued. Private Duncan’s outstanding display of gallantry on this occasion was in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.”

Mr. Duncan was on the Board of Governors of the Letcher County Veterans Memorial Museum. He was a member of the Whitesburg VFW post # 5829 and Whitesburg American Legion post # 152. Duncan was a member of the Graham Memorial Presbyterian Church and attended the Old Regular Baptist Church.

Duncan was married to the late Fairy Mae Duncan. She died July 1, 2004. A son of the late Verna Duncan, Jim Duncan is survived by his son, Buger Duncan of Whitco; and special friends, Pat Richardson of Mayking and Amanda Parker of Whitco. The funeral was held at Everidge Funeral Home of Whitesburg. Burial was in Sandlick Cemetery.

DuPont, Jules St. Martin

Jules St. Martin Dupont, 85, a native and resident of Houma, Louisiana, died Friday, January 12, 2007. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today and from 10 a.m. to funeral time Monday at Chauvin Funeral Home. Religious service will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the funeral home chapel, with burial in Magnolia Cemetery.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Louise Moore Munson Dupont, a native of Jeanerette; two sons, Jules St. Martin Dupont Jr. and wife, Pamela Toler Dupont, and Stephen Munson Dupont and his wife, Beth Haydel Dupont; two daughters, Adela (Mimi) Pratt Dupont Walker and husband, Thomas Ray Walker, and Alice Burguieres Dupont Johnson and husband, Carlton Brent Johnson; 11 grandchildren, Juanita Bell, Camille Garcia, Leslie Barton, Jules St. Martin Dupont III, John Paul Burguieres Dupont, Edward Munson Dupont, Alice Louise Walker, Thomas Ray Walker Jr., Marisa Gabrielle Dupont, Carlton Dupont Johnson and Cameron Brent Johnson of Houston; and three great-grandchildren.

He attended Lorton Preparatory School beginning at the age of 3. Two years prior to graduation, he transferred to Western Military Academy in Alton, Ill., where he received his high-school diploma. He then attended Louisiana State University and Tulane University undergraduate schools and graduated from Tulane Medical School in 1945. He completed a combined residency in internal medicine and fellowship in cardiology at Charity Hospital in New Orleans through LSU and Tulane medical schools.

After World War II, he was selected to serve for a year in residency at the reopening of the American Hospital in Paris. Subsequently, he served in the Navy during the Korean War as senior medical officer on board the Admiral's flagship, The Albany, of the Atlantic fleet.
In 1954, he returned to Houma to start his practice. Over the course of his career, he was instrumental in founding the Heart Station, Intensive Care and Respiratory Therapy Units at Terrebonne General Hospital.

Duquette, Richard W.

Richard "Dick" Duquette, 91, of Leicester, Massachusetts and East Haven, Connecticut, succumbed to the Coronavirus on April 12, 2020. He lived in Leicester and was married 47 years to Ayline G.(Anderson) Duquette who pre-deceased him.

He was born in Clinton, son of Wilfrid N. Duquette & Edith M. (Laney) Duquette. He also had two siblings who predeceased him. He leaves three children and their spouses: Michele(Duquette) Corniello and Vinnie of Branford, Connecticut, Craig R Duquette and Joanna of East Brookfield, Massachusetts, and Claudia A. (Duquette) Lavendier and Eric of Orleans, Massachusetts.

Raised in Spencer, he was a graduate of David Prouty High School. In 1951 he was drafted into the army and was stationed in Augsburg, Germany during the Korean War. Mr.Duquette served on the army's first national ski patrol in Gamache, Germany, and competed in 1951-1952 EUCOM Championships in Berchtesgaden, Germany as a downhill racer.

Upon discharge he attended MIT and then owned a GE franchise, repairing televisions and radios. Later he worked in the electrical engineering department at Worcester Polytechnic Institute until retirement. He was an FCC HAM radio operator, an artist and craftsman and a handyman who could fix just about anything. He loved his family, vacationing on Cape Cod and walking and driving around the shoreline with his son-in-law Vinnie. A private service and burial is planned at a later date in Massachusetts.

Duran, Joe Raymond (J.R.)

Joe Raymond (J.R.) Duran, was called home by Our Lord and Savior, Saturday, October 1, 2005 in Littleton, Colorado. He was born March 16, 1930 in El Ojito, Colorado (near Hoehne) to Jose Emmitt Duran and Antonia Mestas. He attended Hoehne High School and Trinidad State Junior College. He married Maria Lidia Medina on November 3, 1951 at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. Together, they made a home and established Duran Oil Company and J.R.'s Fuel Stops. He was the co-founder of J.R.’s Country Stores.

He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War from 1949 – 1952, 24th Infantry Division, 34th Infantry Regiment, 63rd Field Artillery Battalion B Battery and suffered from a severe head wound. He was awarded a Bronze Star for bravery, one Bronze Camp Star, Korean Service Medal, Army of Occupation (Japan), Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation and a Purple Heart for being wounded in action. He was also an honorary member of “Task Force Smith”, the first wave of soldiers to battle in Korea. He worked at Couey Storage from 1952-1953. He earned a degree in auto mechanics from Trinidad Junior College 1953-1955. He worked for Rosen-Novak Ford in 1956, Sanders Skyline Service 1956-1957 and Continental Oil Company (Conoco) 1957-1977.

J.R.’s honesty, integrity and hard work was the foundation to starting his companies. Today Duran Oil Company and J.R.’s Fuel Stops employ 185 people in nine different cities located in Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma. His employees were an extension of his family and he would do everything in his power to help them. His sense of humor was endless with everyone. His employees have said of J.R. and his wife that they were the nicest people they had ever met. J.R. and Lidia promoted Trinidad, Las-Animas County and the surrounding area on a daily basis as a great place to live. J.R. spread the word about Trinidad and the area he loved not only in the United States, but also abroad. He will be remembered for helping many people including complete strangers. Being a humble man, he never spoke of the many compliments he received from people. He didn’t look for praise, recognition or expect anything in return. He felt contributing back to his community was his duty and a privilege.

He founded the Korean War Veterans Southern Colorado Chapter with the help of area veterans. J.R. lost many friends from Las Animas and Huerfano counties during the Korean War and wanted to honor their sacrifice with a memorial. After a lot of hard work, the Korean Memorial came to fruition and now stands at the Colorado Visitors Center. He also spearheaded the Coal Miners’ Memorial in downtown Trinidad to honor the local coal miners and their families. J.R. always said the coal miners helped make the area unique and special and they deserved recognition.

In J.R.’s spare time he enjoyed ranching, tending to his horses and cattle. When he wasn’t busy doing that he was irrigating, raising and bailing hay on his farms while attending to all other issues that a farmer is confronted with.

He was a member of the following organizations: Colorado Wyoming Petroleum Marketers, Fisher’s Peak Volunteer Fire Department, Trinidad Historical Society, Southern Colorado Korean War Veterans, North American Truck Stop Association, Trinidad Riding Club, Trinidad Round-Up Association, Disabled American Veterans, American Legion Post 11, VFW Post 984, Las Animas County Planning Commission. He was also the founder, first president and board member of the Trinidad-Las Animas County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. He was Grand Marshall of the Trinidad Labor Day Parade and also the Trinidad Parade of Lights.

He was a dedicated husband, a wonderful father and grandfather and an honest family man. He is preceded in death by his parents, his wife, his brothers Jose Florencio and John Emmitt Duran.  He is survived by his children: Veronica (Joaquin) Rivera, Pueblo, Bernadette Duran, Trinidad, Ray (Christina) Duran, Trinidad and Corinne Duran (Fritz) Abeyta, Littleton; grandchildren Teresa Rivera, Lucita Rivera, Carson Ortega, Steven Ortega Jr., Brett Duran, Chelsea Duran, Bethany Duran, Chanel Duran, KylieRae Duran, Brittany Duran-Abeyta, Jayden Duran-Abeyta; great grandchildren Nicholas Ortega, Kayleen Ortega, Riley Ortega, newborn Jamison Ortega; brother Max Duran, Trinidad, sisters Dolores (Herman) Sanchez, Pueblo, Virginia (Tom) Valdez, Mountainaire, N.M.; sisters-in-law Corinne Arguello and Sue (Lee) Lucero, all of Pueblo, brothers-in-law Greg (Dolores) Medina, Trinidad and Piedad (Henrietta) Medina, Pueblo; and many members of his large extended family. Special friends Judie Matticks, Felix Chavez and especially Jim Mangino and his family for the donation of Jim's kidney to extend the life of this extraordinary man.

Honorary pallbearers are Leandro Lucero, Ron Sanchez, Mickey Montoya, Felix Chavez, Jim Mangino, Orlando Baca and George Mondragon, all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Visitation will be Thursday, Oct. 6, 2005 from 2-7 p.m. Rosary will follow at 7 p.m. at the Mullare-Murphy Funeral Home.  Military burial will be held Friday, Oct. 7, 2005 at Holy Trinity Catholic Church at 10 a.m. with Father Bob Hagan, S.J. as the celebrant. Burial will follow at Trinidad Catholic Cemetery. After the service the family may be contacted at St. Joseph hall. Donations may be made to the J.R. Duran Diabetes Memorial Fund, in care of Bank of the West, located at 125 North Commercial Street, Trinidad, CO.

The family has entrusted the Mullare-Murphy Funeral Home with the arrangements. A video memorial tribute may be viewed on Thursday, Oct. 6 on local cable channel 71 at 8:00-8:30 a.m., 12:30-1:00 p.m., and the rosary may be heard live at 7:00 along with the presentation memorial tribute.

Duran, Ruben J.

Ruben J. Duran died August 20, 2001, in Denver.  He was a U.S. Army photographer.  He resided in Thornton, CO.

Dutton, Irvin C. Sr.

Irvin C. Dutton Sr., 85, St. Joseph, died Thursday, April 12, 2007, at Heartland Regional Medical Center.  Mr. Dutton was born October 30, 1921, in Independence, Missouri. He served in the United States Navy during World War II, the Korean War, and in Vietnam. He married Thelma L. (Sherman) Dutton November 1, 1976. She survives of the home.  He was a cook for the United States Navy and retired after 25 years of service. He also retired from Skaggs in 1985.

Mr. Dutton was a member of McCarthy Baptist Church, American Legion Post 359, and was a V.F.W. lifetime member. Irvin loved his family and America. He was a great American hero to his family and friends.  If you knew him the family would love to hear from you! Contact his granddaughter Kayla at:

[Posted 4/18/07]

Close this window

2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter