Navy - Accounts of the Korean War

Close this window


The USS Kimberly served in Korean waters as part of Task Force 95 and 77, the Fast Carrier Force.

(Click the picture for a larger view)



Overall Length = 376 feet
Beam = 40 feet
Displacement = 2,050 tons
Speed = 35 knots


[Submitted to The Korean War Educator by Don Pribble of Danville, IL]

The keel of the USS Kimberly (DD521), a 2,050 ton destroyer of the FLETCHER Class of 1940, was laid July 27, 1942, in the yards of the Bethlehem Steel Company, Mariners Harbor, Staten Island, New York, the ship having been authorized by an Act of Congress of July 19, 1940. The destroyer was launched February 4, 1943, at which time Miss Elsie Kimberly, of Bonita, California, daughter of the late Rear Admiral Lewis Ashfield Kimberly, christened the ship as the official sponsor.

The DD521 was named in memory of Rear Admiral Lewis Ashfield Kimberly, USN, who was born on April 22, 1830, at Troy, New York. Rear Admiral Kimberly was appointed midshipman December 8, 1846 and from 1847 to 1860 served in the African, Pacific, and East India Squadrons. During the Civil War, he served aboard the USS POTOMAC with squadrons blockading the West. He also took part in operations on the Mississippi River at Port Hudson, Grand Gulf, and Vicksburg. Admiral Kimberly was executive officer of the USS HARTFORD in the Battle of Mobile Bay and was commended for gallantry. From 1866 to 1889 he cruised in European, Atlantic, Pacific, and Far Eastern waters and, on June 10-11, 1871, he was in command of land forces in an attack on Korea. Rear Admiral Kimberly died on January 28, 1902, at West Newton, Massachusetts.

The USS KIMBERLY was placed in commission on May 22, 1943, with Commander Harry W. Smith, USN, as her first commanding officer. The KIMBERLY, with a brave and gallant name to live up to, entered upon an intensive shakedown period soon after commissioning, since the need was pressing for ships to perform escort and patrol duties in both Atlantic and Pacific waters.

With shakedown completed, the destroyer reported to the Navy Yard, New York, where the three forward 20 millimeter mounts were replaced by twin 40 millimeter anti-aircraft batteries as well as other operational gear being installed.

On September 10, 1943, the USS KIMBERLY, in company with the USS BUNKER HILL, USS ERBEN, and USS ABBOT, weighed anchor from the Naval Operating Base, Norfolk, Virginia, en route to the Pacific. She arrived at Pearl Harbor, Oahu, T.H., on October 3, 1943, and spent over a month conducting training exercises and maneuvers in Hawaiian waters.

On November 10, 1943, as a part of Task Force 52, the DD 521 departed from Pearl Harbor and set course for the Gilbert Islands, where the task force participated in the invasion of objectives there, beginning on November 20th. As a fighter-director ship, the KIMBERLY directed aircraft from the carriers to intercept the many daily plane raids from the Jap-held Marshall Islands to the northward. As an antisubmarine escort for the battleships and cruisers, she dropped depth charges on seven different occasions when her sound gear picked up possible enemy submarines. When the hoped for counterattack by the Japanese Fleet did not materialize, the KIMBERLY left the hallowed waters of Tarawa and Makin on December 5th, escorting five LST’s to Pearl Harbor.

Arriving at Pearl Harbor in time to receive welcome Christmas mail and packages, the ship was given a 12-day availability period, after which she was sent to the Bethlehem Steel Company’s shipyard in San Francisco, California, for repairs. She arrived at San Francisco on January 8, 1944, and after two weeks departed for Adak, Aleutian Islands, on the 22nd. The KIMBERLY arrived in Adak Harbor and reported to Commander North Pacific on January 30th, after which she was immediately ordered to report to Commander Task Force 94 at Attu for duty.

As a part of Task Force 94 under Rear Admiral Baker, the KIMBERLY left Attu on February 1, 1944, with the objective Paramushiro in the Jap-held Kurile Islands. She bombarded Suribachi Wan and Kurabi Saki on February 4, 1944.

The next eight months were spent in the Aleutians on antisubmarine patrols, training exercises, offensive sweeps, and bombardments of the Kurile chain. On March 4, 1944, Task Force 94 penetrated the Kurile Islands south of Shashuktan in search of an enemy convoy and remained within the Sea of Okhotsk for a period of 36 hours during low visibility. Under Rear Admiral Smith, in the CHESTER, the task force bombarded Matsuwa on June 13th and Paramushiro on June 26th. On July 28th six destroyers, of which number the KIMBERLY was included, made a sweep for enemy picket boats in the northern Kurile areas, but the results were negative. The task force got underway on August 1, 1944, for another bombardment of the Kuriles but retired before the bombarding operations were begun. Surprise was to be one of the prime factors in the operation and the force had been sighted at sea by a prowling Jap "Betty."

The KIMBERLY departed Adak on September 18, 1944, en route to San Francisco for a ten-day availability period at the Mare Island Navy Yard. With repairs completed, the destroyer left the San Francisco area on October 6th and proceeded to Pearl Harbor, arriving on the 12th.

On October 25, 1944, Commander J.D. Whitfield, USN, relieved Commander Harry W. Smith, USN, as commanding officer of the USS KIMBERLY.

The KIMBERLY next sailed for Manus, Admiralty Islands, where she dropped anchor on November 9, 1944. The following day she narrowly escaped serious damage when she shifted berths from within 1,000 yards of the USS MT. HOOD to another anchorage. Fifteen minutes later, the MT. HOOD, an ammunition ship, blew up – her only survivors being one officer and 13 enlisted men who were ashore at the time.

The KIMBERLY joined Task Unit 79.15.4, a supply convoy bound for Leyte Gulf, Philippine Islands, and screened by the units of Destroyer Squadron 49. This was the first time since August that the KIMBERLY had been with the squadron and, upon arrival in San Pedro Bay, Leyte, on November 18, 1944, fired her first shot at Japanese aircraft since a year previously in the Gilbert Islands operation.

On November 20th, the ship departed for Borgen Bay, Cape Gloucester, New Britain, where she remained for three weeks while troops in the area were evacuated in preparation for the Philippine landings on Luzon. Orders were received on December 10th to proceed to San Pedro Bay, Leyte Gulf, via Hollandia, and the DD 521 dropped anchor in Leyte Gulf six days later.

On December 19, 1944, eleven destroyers including the KIMBERLY left Leyte with a convoy of LST;s, LCI’s, and liberty ships as the First Mindoro Resupply Echelon, bound for Mangarin Bay. In the Sulu Sea, during the late evening of December 21st, the formation was attacked by Japanese single-engine suicide planes and two-engine bombers.

During the first attacks by the Kamikaze planes on December 21, 1944, the KIMBERLY had her first chance to really show that she wasn’t only a fighting ship in name, but also in action. For nearly two hours the attacking planes kept the destroyer fully occupied and the "521" narrowly missed damage several times when flaming planes fell into the water close by. She had another close cal when a jap bomber flew directly over her bridge with bomb bays open but was unable to release its bomb-load until it had passed beyond. Not an enemy plane escaped, and the KIMBERLY had chalked up one sure kill and was credited with several assists.

Though the DD 521 sustained no damage, the convoy did not escape unscathed. Throughout twilight and darkness of December 21st, many survivors of damaged ships were rescued from the water and, for bringing the "Might K" in close to an exploding LST and taking off her wounded personnel, Commander J.D. Whitfield, USN, the commanding officer, later received the Bronze Star Medal – as did Lieutenant (jg) Robert McIlroy, USNR; Chief Electrician’s mate Art Foster, USNR; and Fireman First Class H.F. McIntyre, USN, for their part in the rescue operations.

During the following day more suicide attempts were made, but the accuracy of the KIMBERLY’s anti-aircraft fire and the shooting of the air cover of U.S. P38’s were so effective that each plane was knocked down before it reached its objective. That night the Japs continued their air attacks after the unloaded ships had begun their voyage back toward Leyte Gulf, but no further damage was sustained by the formation.

After a week of rest and resupply, the KIMBERLY turned her guns in the direction of Lingayen Gulf. With the pre-invasion bombardment group, composed of such veteran battleships as the USS CALIFORNIA, USS NEW MEXICO, USS IDAHO, USS PENNSYLVANIA, and the cruisers USS COLUMBIA, USS LOUISVILLE, HMAS AUSTRALIA, and HMAS SHROPESHIRE, the KIMBERLY set out for Luzon on January 2, 1945, as a part of Task Unit 77.2.1. Two days later, not far from the scene of the attack of two weeks before, the formation was subjected to repeated enemy Kamikaze attacks which were pressed home with great persistence. Many Jap planes were sent into the sea in flames, but some scored hits on the USS OMMANEY BAY, USS MANILA BAY, USS LOUISVILLE, and HMAS ARUNTA. Again the KIMBERLY came through unharmed and her blazing guns had added another sure kill to her credit.

When the bombardment forces arrived off Lingayen Gulf and before the sun had risen, the KIMBERLY suffered her first casualty of the war. An enemy plane, flying close to the water and seeing the 521 silhouetted in its sights against the first streaks of dawn, strafed the bridge area and wounded 13 officers and men. However, only one man was seriously injured and the ship’s fighting efficiency was not impaired.

The entire day of January 6th, 1945, was spent warding off Kamikaze attacks. In the early afternoon the Japanese increased their tempo until one attack followed another with hardly a moment’s interval between. The combined fire of the task group was effective, often bringing down smoking and flaming aircraft into the Gulf. Once, while separated from the formation to lower a boat and rescue the survivors of damaged ships, the KIMBERLY brought down two planes before they could reach the other ships. The work of the doctor and the pharmacist’s mates bordered on the heroic as they administered to the overload of patients, giving plasma and morphine, bandaging wounds, and making the men comfortable.

As darkness came on, the task group retired to seaward and prepared for the next day’s scheduled bombardments. Throughout January 7th, the DD 521 destroyed specified targets on the beaches and supported the underwater demolition teams by knocking out enemy machine gun emplacements when they fired upon the swimmers clearing the shallow waters.  That night the KIMBERLY remained in the Gulf when the formation retired to sea. Throughout a long six hours, the destroyer kept up a constant bombardment to harass the enemy troops – hitting railroad centers, road intersections, and starting fires in supply dumps and storage warehouses.

When the task force reentered the Gulf as the sun rose on January 8th, the KIMBERLY again joined in the stepped-up bombardment until at the end of the day she was out of ammunition. The mission of the bombardment group had been well accomplished and the next day the troops landed with little opposition.

Again the KIMBERLY’s commanding officer was rewarded. This time he received a Gold Star in lieu of a second Bronze Star Medal. This award was for the rescue of survivors of damaged ships from the water, for enemy aircraft shot down, and for supporting the underwater demolition teams in their work.

For the remainder of the month, the ship acted as a part of a task group in the South China Sea, prepared to intercept any possible counterattack envisioned by what remained of the humbled Imperial Japanese Fleet.

During February 1945, the KIMBERLY stood by in Leyte Gulf, where the crew enjoyed several days of rest and relaxation, and began preparations for the Okinawa campaign which was next on the schedule of operations.

On March 21, 1945, the KIMBERLY was underway with Task Group 51.5 and the fist light of the early morning of March 26th revealed the destroyer on a radar picket station a few miles from Kerama Retto, the scene of the first landings in the Ryukyus. The outline of the Okinawa hills could be seen on the hazy blue horizon. Suddenly two Jap planes came out of the clouds, one (a "Val"), directing its attack on the KIMBERLY. The DD 521’s guns opened up and repeatedly hit the suicider until he was trailing flames and smoke. The Captain maneuvered the ship violently, but still the crazed pilot was able to crash on top of one of the gun mounts aft. Immediately flames and explosions enveloped the after part of the ship, but quick action on the part of the repair parties brought the fires under control. However, the KIMBERLY had suffered considerable damage. Everything in the vicinity of the hit was demolished, including three vitally needed guns. Nine men were killed, 18 were found missing, and 33 were wounded in action. The heroic and courageous performance of the men at the guns into which the Kamikaze crashed will never be forgotten by any of those who saw the action.

Emergency repairs were made during the remainder of the day and then the DD 521 reported to the Task Force Commander ready for duty. She remained in the area until April 1, 1945, when, with her tired, exhausted men, she headed for Mare Island Navy Yard, California, for a complete overhaul and repair of battle damage.

With her availability period completed on June 26th, the KIMBERLY spent the next month undergoing refresher training – first at San Diego, California, and then at Pearl Harbor. During her overhaul period the destroyer had her after torpedo tube mount removed and in its place quadruple 40 millimeter batteries were installed. These new guns, with a new director system amidships, proved a great advantage for increased effectiveness of anti-aircraft fire. In her shore bombardment practices, the KIMBERLY was given a "superior" rating.

Upon leaving Pearl Harbor on August 10, 1945, the KIMBERLY was assigned to the THIRD Fleet, Task Force 38, under the command of Admiral William F. Halsey, USN, and reported to Commander Task Group 38.4 on August 28, some 100 miles off Tokyo Bay. The destroyer entered Tokyo Bay on September 4th and two days later was underway for sea again, escorting the USS MISSOURI.

The KIMBERLY arrived at Pearl Harbor on September 20, 1945, where she was ordered to proceed to Wilmington, Delaware, for the 1945 Navy Day ceremonies after which she was to further proceed to her "reserve" base, as yet unassigned.

The USS KIMBERLY’s first commanding officer, Commander Harry W. Smith, USN, was awarded the Commendation Ribbon for his actions as commanding officer of the DD 521 when she was a part of the task force which participated in the first bombardment of Paramushiro, Kurile Islands, on February 4, 1944.

The USS KIMBERLY steamed 140,000 miles, operating in the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Pacific Ocean, Bering Sea, Sea of Okhotsk, Bisbarck Sea, Sulu Sea, Mindanao Sea, South China Sea, Philippine Sea, and East China Sea. Her ports of call were: Brooklyn, NY; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; Casco Bay, Maine; Boston, Massachusetts; Norfolk, Virginia; Panama City, Panama; San Diego, California; Pearl harbor, Oahu, T.H.; Makin Lagoon and Tarawa, Gilbert Islands; San Francisco, California; Kulak Bay, Adak, Alaska; Massacre Bay, Attu, Alaska; Great Sitkin, Alaska; Dutch Harbor, Alaska; Kiska, Alaska; Vallejo, California; Tanua, Admiralty Islands; Hollandia, New Guinea; Cape Gloucester, New Britain; Lingayen, Luzon, Philippine Islands; Mindoro, P.I.; Kerama Retto, Ryukyus Islands; Ulithi Atoll, Western Carolines; Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands; Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands; Tokyo Bay, Japn; and Guam, Marianas.

By Directive dated January 1947, the USS KIMBERLY (DD521) was to be placed out of commission, in reserve, attached to the U.S. Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

* * *

The USS KIMBERLY (DD 521) earned four (4) battle stars on the Asiatic-Pacific Area Service Ribbon for participating in the following operations:

  • 1 Star/Gilbert Islands Operation – 13 November to 8 December 1943
  • 1 Star/Kurile Islands Operation
    Masashi Wan-Kurabu Zaki – 4 February 1944
    Matsuwa – 13 June 1944
    Kurabu Zaki – 26 June 1944
  • 1 Star/Leyte Operation
    Leyte Landings – 10 October to 29 November 1944
  • 1 Star/Okinawa Gunto Operation
    Assault and Occupation of Okinawa Gunto – 24 March to 30 June 1945

The KIMBERLY also earned the Navy Occupation Service Medal, Pacific, for her activities in that area during the periods of September 2-8 and September 19-20, 1945.


[This brief overview was written by Michael Cole.]

Reactivation of the KIMBERLY started early in 1951, and she was re-commissioned at Charleston on 8 February 1951. After fitting out in Charleston and Norfolk, the KIMBERLY commenced her shakedown training at Guantanamo Bay in April with side trips to Kingston, Jamaica and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.

During July, 1951, the KIMBERLY joined Task Force 81 in the Atlantic and completed three weeks of advanced Hunter/Killer training with a liberty visit to Syndy, Nova Scotia.

From August to the end of November 1951, the KIMBERLY underwent extensive modernization at the New York Naval Shipyard. After Christmas Leave in Norfolk, she departed for refresher training in Guantanamo Bay in January 1952. Returning to her home port of Norfolk, the KIMBERLY operated with local carrier and submarine units until May 15, when she sailed with her Division for the Far East.

As part of Task Force 95, the United Nations Blockading Force, the KIMBERLY joined American, British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and South Korean units in patrolling both the east and west coasts of embattled Korea. Along the rugged shores north of the 38 Parallel, taut watches strained eyed for glint of sunlight on enemy artillery barrels or the dark shape of a submerged mine, while the main battery roared forth over 800 rounds of death and destruction at the Communist installations.

In quieter moments, the KIMBERLY directed United Nation aircraft to targets of opportunity, and watched for their safe return. In all her operations, the KIMBERLY helped deny the use of the sea to the North Korean and Chinese Communist forces.

All hands remained on the alert from the very first day when a Russian-built MiG encircled the ship with its silver vapor trail.

With a high speed and sweep to the Korean East Coast, the KIMBERLY rejoined her division as part of Task Force 77, the Fast Carrier Force. Orders to detached duty with the Battleship Iowa interrupted carrier screening. During this period, the KIMBERLY protected the Iowa and the embarked Chief of Naval Operations on the much-publicized Wonsan bombardment.

The KIMBERLY operated with Task Forces 95 and 77 in the Yellow and Japan Seas for 35 straight days at sea. Made independent of shore bases by the modern techniques of sea transfers, the KIMBERLY received fuel, food, ammunition, mail and personnel from both men-of-war and auxiliaries. For small cargoes, the busy helicopter has become the angel of the fleet.

After a short upkeep period in Sasebo, the KIMBERLY steamed into the Yellow Sea to join the H.M.S. OCEAN. Planes from the British Carrier carried the war to the Korean West Coast, and provided the KIMBERLY anti-aircraft battery with daily practices. Some men were fortunate enough to be transferred to the Ocean for a day’s visit, while all hands enjoyed the mail from home delivered by the carrier’s "Whirlybird."


[This information was submitted to The Korean War Educator
by KIMBERLY veteran Don Pribble, Danville, IL.]

  1. Norfolk, VA
  2. Panama Canal Zone
  3. San Diego, CA
  4. Pearl Harbor, HI
  5. Midway Island
  6. Yokosuka, Japan
  7. Sasebo, Japan
  8. Korea
    1. Cho Do, West Coast Task Force 95.
    2. Sea of Japan, East Coast Task Force 77
    3. Wonsan, Shore bombardment with USS Iowa
    4. Hamhung, Shore bombardment with USS Iowa
    5. Sonjin, Shore bombardment with USS Iowa
    6. Wonsan Harbor, Shore bombardment w/ USS Iowa  
    7. Tonchon, Shore bombardment alone
15 May
 20 thru 22 May
 29 thru 31 May
 6 thru 9 June
 11 June
 18 thru 20 June
 22, 23 June
24 June thru 10 July
12 July thru 16 July
16, 17 July
16, 17 July
16, 17 July
18 July
20 thru 22 July
  1. Sasebo, Japan*
  2. Korea
    1. Paeychong Do, Shore bombardment w/ TE 95.12.1  
    2. Cho Do, Shore bombardment w/ TE 95.12.1
    3. Plane guard for HMS OCEAN, TG 95
  3.  Yokosuka, Japan
  4. Tokyo Bay, Anti-submarine warfare
  5. Yokosuka, Japan
  6. Tokyo Bay ASW with TF 916.7
  7. Hakodate, Japan
  8. Ominato, Japan
  9. Takao, Formosa
  10. Hong Kong, China
  11. Formosa Straits Patrol
  12. Kaoshsuing, Formosa
  13. Subic Bay, Philippine Islands
  14. Singapore, China
  15. Equator
  16. Columbo, Ceylon
  17. Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia
  18. Aden, Saudi Arabia – East Africa
  19. Suez Canal
  20. Naples, Italy
  21. Genoa, Italy
  22. Cannes, France
  23. Gibraltar
  24. Norfolk, VA
29 July thru 1 Aug

3, 4 Aug.
4 thru 9 Aug
9 thru 18 Aug
20 thru 31 Aug
3 Sept
3 thru 5 Sept
5 thru 10 Sept
11, 12 Sept
12, 14 Sept
18 Sept
19 thru 22 Sept
24 Sept thru 3 Oct
3 thru 6 Oct
7 thru 17 Oct
21 thru 23 Oct
25 Oct
27 thru 29 Oct
3 thru 5 Nov
9, 10 Nov
14 Nov
17 thru 22 Nov
23 thru 26 Nov
26 thru 29 Nov
1, 2 Dec
11 Dec

*[Editor’s Note: There were two #8’s on the list. This is not an error on the part of The Korean War Educator.]


  1. Chesapeake Bay
  2. Atlantic Ocean
  3. Caribbean Sea
  4. Pacific Ocean
  5. Gulf of Tehuantipic
  6. Yellow Sea
  7. Sea of Japan
  8. East China Sea
  9. South China Sea
  10. Indian Ocean
  11. Arabian Sea
  12. Persian Gulf
  13. Gulf of Aden
  14. Red Sea
  15. Mediterranean Sea
  16. Ionian Sea
  17. Tyrrhenian Sea
  18. Ligurian Sea
  19. Gulf de Lion
  20. Gulf de Valencia
  21. Atlantic Ocean
  22. Chesapeake Bay


[This information was submitted to The Korean War Educator
by KIMBERLY veteran Don Pribble, Danville, IL.]

SUBJECT: Hong Kong Visit, Information Concerning

  1. PURPOSE The purpose of this memorandum is to publish the information now held concerning Hong Kong. Its scope is to cover security, liberty, shore patrol, venders, recreation, amusement and miscellaneous general information.
  1. SECURITY Following special security regulations will apply for the duration of the KIMBERLY’s stay in Hong Kong:

a. Ship’s Security: The following watches will be stood at all times:

OOD (Officer or CPO) - side arms
Gangway Petty Officers - side arms
Gangway Messengers (2) –
(One to be opposite side of
quarterdeck from OOD) - Belt
Bow Sentry - Carbine
Stern Sentry - Carbine
Security Watch - side arms
Auxiliary Engineering -
Communications (Visual & Radio) -

No boats or sampans will be allowed to tie up alongside the ship, excepting those disembarking passengers and the garbage boats.

Sentries shall be constantly alert to prevent merchants and vendors from coming aboard at unauthorized places. They shall also be alert for attempted sabotage or pilferage. The Master-At-Arms force shall constantly patrol the ship to prevent any unauthorized people from coming aboard and to insure the merchants allowed aboard remain on the fantail.

A fire hose shall be rigged on the forecastle and fantail to ward off persistent venders and merchants.

b. External Security: All hands are instructed not to discuss the following in the presence of foreign nationals or at any time ashore:

  1. General or specific information regarding U.S. personnel
  2. Characteristics or number of ships, aircraft, electronics,
    Armaments, special equipment or communications.
  3. Names and designations of U.S. Armed Forces, location and prospective movements of Naval Ships, aircraft or other units of the Armed Forces.

The Chinese Reds have been known to use girl informers who frequent bars, restaurants, and hotels. Guard your conversation at all times.

  1. LIBERTY Liberty will be granted to two-thirds of the ship commencing at 1100 daily and expiring on the pier (Blakes Pier) at 2400 for all non-rated men. Liberty for all rated men will expire at 0200 on the pier. Officers shore leave and CPO liberty will expire on board at 0745.
    Liberty is restricted to Hong Kong and Kowloon; however everyone must leave Kowloon by sunset. This precautionary measure is necessary due to the close proximity of the Communist Chinese border. Anyone crossing the border would probably be making a one-way trip.
    Uniform for liberty will be undress whites with neckerchief except for officers and chief petty officer, whose uniform will be Service Dress Khaki with coat (after 1800). Dress whites for Officers and Chiefs is optional except it will be mandatory at social events or any occasion where prescribed by Commodore Hong Kong. The uniform of the day aboard ship will be undress whites for the crew and wash khaki with ties for all others. Dungarees will be worn for work which may be ruinous to whites and under no circumstances after 1600. Wearing of civilian clothes by officers is encouraged. A coat and tie must be worn. Slacks and Aloha shirts are not permitted.
  2. SHORE PATROL The Shore Patrol shall consist of the following:
     One Officer (LTJG or above)
     One Chief Petty Officer
     Five Petty Officers
    The Shore Patrol shall be landed one half hour before liberty commences daily, and shall report to Royal Navy Provost Marshall Headquarters, HMC TAMAR (Wellington Barracks) for instructions and stationing.
    The uniform for shore patrol will be:
    Officer - Service Dress Khaki with brassard
    Chief Petty Officer - Service Dress Khaki with brassard
    Petty Officers - Undress Whites, neckerchiefs,
    Night stick, and brassard
    Shore Patrol assignments will be made prior to arrival in port. Orders will be picked up at the ship’s office by the shore patrol officer at 1000 daily.
  3. RECREATION AND AMUSEMENT The following recreational facilities are listed for your convenience:
    Church of England
    1. Holy Trinity Church
    2. St. Luke’s Chapel Wellington Barracks
    3. St. John’s Cathedral Royal Navy Hospital
    4. St. Andrew’s Church
    Church of Scotland and Free Churches
    1. Sailors & Soldiers Home 22 Hennessey Road
    2. English Methodist Church Queens Road East
    3. Gospel Hall Dudolt Street
    4. Hillwood Road Baptist Church Kowloon
    Roman Catholic
    1. St. Joseph’s Garden Road
    2. Catholic Center King’s Building
    3. Catholic Cathedral Caine Road
    4. St. Margaret’s Church Happy Valley
    5. St. Teresa’s Church Prince Edward Road
    6. Rosary Church Kowloon
    1. Hong Kong Tours 110 Peninsula Hotel
    2. Charles Cooper Agency Phone 33438
    1.  China Fleet Club Gloucester Road (Lockers,
    Billiards, Dancing, Gift Shop)
    2. Victoria Club Victoria Barracks
    3. Sailors and Soldiers Home 22 Hennessey Road
    4. St. Nicholas Club King’s Building
    5. Sailors Home & Missions to Seaman 40 Gloucester Road
    6. Nine Dragons Club Nathan Road, Kowloon
    Hong Kong:
    1. Parisian 10 Queens Road
    2. Jimmy’s Kitchen Near Queens Theater
    3. Aberdeens Fishing Village, W. End of Island
    4. The Gold Fish 16 Pennington Road
    5. Peking Duck Hennessey Hotel
    6. Windsor House Des Voeux Road Central
    7. Dairy Farms Several locations in Hong Kong
    1. "Jingles" 70 Nathan Road
    2. Kowloon Restaurant 200 Nathan Road
    3. Peninsuala Restaurant Salisbury Road
    4. Russina Restaurant 3 Hankaw Road
    5. Sham Rock Hotel 204 Nathan Road
    6. Dairy Farms Several locations in Kowloon
    Hong Kong:
    1. Sky Room
    2. Hong Kong Hotel
    3. Paramount Ballroom*
    4. Hennessey Ballroom*
    5. Lido Dance Hall*
    * Dancing girls furnished per hourly rate.
    The following merchants and venders have been reliable in the past. They are listed for information only and no recommendations are made.
    Lee Chong Tai and Sung Lee 49 Johnston Road
    Willie & Charles McGee 104 Johnston Road, Ph. 22779
    James S. Lee 227 Gloucester Road, Ph. 25834
    James Woo Ltd. 24 Jafee Road, Ph. 38326
    King Brothers
    A.H. Jim and Co. Room 607, Lockhart Hotel
    Johnny Ford 67 Gloucester Road
    K. Tom
    Ken Kee Naval Tailor
    A.H. King
    Hai Lee
    Chang Wing Tai 3 Granville Road, Kowloon, Ph. 33517
    Ah Kong 7 D’Aguilar Street
    William Young 5 Staunton Street
    C.C. Luing
    Harilola’s Emporium 1&2 Middle Rd., Kowloon, Ph. 50679
    Mohans 14 B Hankow Rd., Kowloon
    James B. Tan 208 Gloucester Road, Ph. 27923
    Peter C.H. Hon
    Lefty Chow 21 Valley Road, Kowloon
    Sun Sheng & Co.
    Frazer Young 24 Wyndham Street, Ph. 282823
    Ying Tai Co. 27 Chung King Arcade, Kowloon
    Shanghai Mary Wong 4 Parkes Street, Kowloon
    Mandarin Textiles 54 Granville Road, Kowloon
    T.Y. Lee 228 Gloucester Road, Ph. 27923
    Y.T. Kan 25 Saigon Street, Kowloon
    Po Hing 40 Johnston Road
    T.L. Ma
    C.F. Chang
    George Pan 21 Valley Road, Kowloon
    Foo Chow Lacquer Co. 29 Nathan Road, Kowloon
    Yan Kee 145 Nennessey
    S.K. King
    Van Dykes Folts 27 Austin Road, Kowloon
    J.L. George and Co. 29-31 Saigon St., Kowloon
    George Zee and Co. 500A Castle Peak Road, Kowloon
    Peking Trading Co. 9 Wyndham Street, Ph. 37422
    K. Jamson 30 Hennessey Road
    Jor Kee 11 Luard Road
    W.S. Young 31 Kennedy Road
    San Nee Kee 139 Queen’s Road East
    No Squeek Young
    C.F. Jong & A.D. Chang 16 Fleming Road
    Dhobie Jim 49 Johnston Road
    Jimmie 227 Gloucester Road
    George Young 117 Can Ton Road, Kowloon
    Fiung Folts 11 Lock Road, Kowloon
    Peking Art Rug Store Nathan Road, Kowloon
    Phillip Chu Middle Road, Kowloon
    Frank Ling 163 Lockhart Road
    T.M. Shao 77 Reclamation Street, Kowloon
    Cameras G.A. Apear
    Shirts Frazier Lee
    Photographer Mark Ma
    Perfumes Samuel Shu
    Engraving A.H. Kong
    Newspapers Mary Sing Koun, Chen Chung
    Troupe (David M. Chang)
  4. OUT OF BOUNDS AREAS Certain areas in Hong Kong are "out of bounds". A man from the USS BOYD was found dead in an "out of bounds" hotel room a few months ago. Other men have been victims of pickpockets, poisoning, and beatings in those areas. The "out of bounds" areas are:
    1. a. Corner of Hennessey Road and Queens Road to Wanchai Road, thence to Queens Road East and Kennedy Road, thence to Victoria Barracks, thence to Corner of Hennessey Road and Queens Road.
    2. b. Corner of Johnston Road – Wachai Road to Tin Lane. Then Via Wanchai Road to Johnston Road.
    3. c. The squatters shacks and the area bounded by Blue Pool Road, Sing Wood Road and Tsun Yun Street to Happy Valley.
      For safety do not go ashore alone. Always go in pairs or in larger groups. Do not ride in rickshaws after dark and do not ride in sampans alone when "under the weather."
  5. DISEASES Venereal Diseases are very prevalent. The venereal disease rate is extremely high among prostitutes and street walkers. Gonorrhea and Chancroid are the frequent venereal disease encountered, but cases of Syphilis, Lymphogrnumloma, Venereum and Granuloma Inguinele are not uncommon. Personnel should be fully informed of the danger of venereal disease prior to going on liberty. Abstinence is stressed. All accepted measures of prophylaxis are available to liberty parties. Further facilities are on board ship at the pro head for returning liberty parties.
    Tuberculosis is very prevalent in the civilian population. Because of crowded conditions and lack of adequate medical facilities for these cases, the mortality rate is very high. Amoebic and Bacillary dysentery are common.
    1. a. Hong Kong is a British Crown Colony and is governed by British laws and customs. It is an important Royal British Navy base, and further serves as a base for British ground and air forces. U.S. warships and personnel are permitted to enter and stay in Hong Kong by invitation and consent of the British officials. The U.S. Forces are thus bound to respect the British authorities, and show due deference to local laws, customs, ceremonies and regulations. In all dealings with local inhabitants, moderation and courtesy should be displayed.
    2. b. The visiting units of the U.S. Navy have been received by the British and Chinese people in a most cordial and courteous manner. Officials, both military and civil, have done a number of things for our welfare and have cooperated with us in every possible way.
    3. c. The fact that the Chinese people have customs, traditions and living conditions different from our own is not a reason why we should disagree with them or look down on them in any way whatsoever. The hardships suffered by many of these people are beyond our own experiences. The friendship that exists between them and ourselves is a pleasant association, the continuance of which is most desirable. It is up to us as visitors in their land to demonstrate a friendly understanding and will for mutual cooperation.
  7. A list of venders and merchants permitted on board will be posted at the quarter deck after arrival.
  8. CANCELLATION Having served its purpose, this memorandum will be cancelled on departure from Hong Kong.



[This information was submitted to The Korean War Educator by Don Pribble, Danville, IL.]

Sunrise: 0705 Brooklyn, New York
Sunset: 1629 Thursday
6 December 1951

Following daily routine at Sea as set forth in Ship’s Order No. 39 with the following modifications.

0345 – Call Duty M.A.A.
0430 – REVEILLE – Turn to prepare Ship for sea.
0440 – Muster PAL and Restricted men.
0500 – Liberty expires on board for Sections 2 and 1.
Breakfast for the crew, watch eat at the head of the line.
0600 – Set Special Sea detail.
0630 – Underway for NAD Earle, New Jersey
0715 – Quarters for Musters
Instruction for all hands in Fire Fighting General Procedure.
0800 – Berth at Pier 4 NAD Earle, New Jersey
1600 – (Or upon completion of loading ammunition) the ship will get underway
for Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Ship will commence loading ammunition immediately on arrival at Earle, New Jersey. All hands will participate. Ammunition will be loaded continuously until completion. Crew will eat dinner by Sections, commences with Section I, when announced over the speaker system.

T.O. MC Whorter, LCDR, USN
Executive Officer

24 OCTOBER 1952

[Information submitted to The Korean War Educator
by Don Pribble, Danville, IL.]

Sunrise: Friday
Sunset: 24 October 1952

0530 – Call Duty M.A.A.
0615 – REVEILLE – Up all hands except the mid-watch and authorized late
hammocks. Air bedding – (Weather permitting)
0622 – Sunrise – Turn on running lights.
0625 – Muster PAL’s and Restricted men.
0630 - Turn to – pipe sweepers.
0645 – Breakfast; oncoming watch eat at the head of the line.
0700 – Up all late hammocks.
0715 – Relieve the watch.
0800 – Test Chemical and General alarm. QUARTERS FOR MUSTER.
Test whistle and siren (follow movements of OTC).
0815 - Turn to, commence ships work.
0930 – Compartment cleaners stand by for inspection of compartments by
Division Officers. (BM pass over all circuits.)
1030 – All cooks, mess cooks and stewards stand by for inspection by HMC.
1045 – Pipe down aired bedding.
1115 – Knock off ships work, pipe sweepers.
1130 – Dinner. Oncoming watch eat at the head of the line.
1155 – Relieve the watch. Set condition II, Pollywog section 1.
1245 – Turn to, continue ships work.
1545 – Relieve the watch. Pollywog section II, set lookout for Davy Jones.
1600 – Knock off ships work, return all paint to the paint locker, pipe sweepers.
1615 – (About) Davy Jones expected aboard – all Pollywogs not on watch fall in
at quarters.
1700 – Close and check below deck water tight doors.
1715 – Supper. Oncoming watch eat at the head of the line.
1745 – Relieve the watch. Pollywog section 1.
1733 – Sunset – Turn on running lights.
1900 – Muster PAL’s and Restricted men. Rig for movies.
1930 – Muster Eight O’clock reports. Report all below decks X & Y
openings closed.
1940 – Relieve the watch. Pollywog section II.
1945 – Movie – "Wait till the Sun Shines Nellie."

MAY 1952

[Information submitted to The Korean War Educator
by Don Pribble, Danville, IL]

You have had an opportunity to witness first hand the problems involved in recovering a man who falls overboard. For over a year we have drilled to meet an emergency of this nature, twice we have existed through the period under the Guantanamo Bay Training Group and twice we received a mark of "good" from them.

This morning we got a mark of "satisfactory" for the results obtained (the man was recovered alive), but for the procedure of handling the boat after the recovery we got the lowest "unsat" known to mankind. More through dumb luck and superstition rather than through science and skill the man was recovered and brought aboard. He was nearly drowned IN THE BOAT! The seamanship demonstrated this morning was appalling. In a dead flat calm sea, a boat fall was over run, tumbled, and snarled so as to require a half hour’s work to clear. The whale boat was sunk because the boat plugs were not inserted!
Fortunately the forward fall was hooked on before the boat sank completely, but as a result, the forward hoisting pad is unsafe, the stern post is cracked, several ribs are broken, the rudder, engine cover, and much boat gear was lost; the boat engine and electrical equipment was damaged by salt water and the battery destroyed.

Even more ridiculous, two of our own men were thrown into the water, and a third received a cut eye. No one on deck thought to throw the men a line until they had drifted aft nearly abreast of the crew’s head. There were plenty of life jackets thrown to them. In fact, the two men probably drifted aft deliberately because every time they stuck their head above water someone would hit it with a life jacket – remember they were wearing life jackets and would have been perfectly safe if they had had something to hang on to.

The errors of today should be obvious to everyone. In the heat of a real emergency and in a desire to save the man in the water, personnel forgot everything they know so well and rushed off half-cocked in all directions, reducing to complete disorganization and confusion something that should and must be routine and well ordered.

I tried hard to find some indication of a seaman aboard during the fiasco and thought I had spotted one when the bow hook cut the mousing on the forward fall with a jack knife, but later I discovered that he had to borrow that "badge" of a seaman from the boat engineer.

For the next six months we will be faced with casualties and emergencies far graver than "man overboard." I have every confidence in the knowledge and ability of you all to do a splendid job, but in order to do your job properly, excitement, too many people giving orders, screaming and shouting must be eliminated.

The ship has received many "well done" messages today and the Division Commander and Commanding Officer of the JARVIS have both asked that I thank you all for saving the man and more specifically to congratulate the man who heard, spotted, and recovered the man. To these, I wish to add my thanks and congratulations to you all for a marvelous recovery. It will be of interest to you to know that from the time the man was first sighted until he was more or less safely in our boat was only four minutes. That is outstanding time in any man’s Navy – I doubt if a helicopter could have equaled it.

Combat plotted the first report accurately and we found the man where they said he would be and after finding him the boat got him in outstanding time.

You have all helped save a man’s life today and you can be proud to have done so. This overrides all other considerations of damage to the boat and loss of some odd pieces of boat gear.

Congratulations and well done!



(Click a picture for a larger view)


Close this window

2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter