Three airmen lost their lives on September 07, 1951 when their C-47A transport crashed about five miles
southwest of Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, while practicing ground control approach touch and go landings.
A fourth airman survived the crash. While en route to the crash scene, a rescue helicopter crashed and
its two occupants were killed.
Anyone who has further information about these two crashes and their victims are
encouraged to contact Lynnita Brown, 111 E. Houghton St., Tuscola, IL 61953; ph. 217-253-4620 or 253-5171.
C-47 Crew Members
- Baker, Cpl. Robert E. - safety engineer - FATALITY
He was survived by his mother of Seattle, Washington
- Parik, Lt. Francis J. - West Bend, Indiana - SURVIVOR
From South Bend, Indiana, he was thrown clear of the wreckage and survived the crash. He was
picked up in a daring night landing by Capt. Louis Erhart of New Haven, Connecticut.
- Severson, Capt. Donald G. - pilot - FATALITY
Hometown Wheeler, Wisconsin, he was survived by a widow.
- Spletzer, T/Sgt. Roy F. - civil engineer - FATALITY
He was survived by his widow, Mildred. Sergeant Spletzer was from Nawaygo, Michigan.
Rescue Helicopter Crew Members
- Alden, Capt. Frank A. - pilot - FATALITY - survived by his widow, Rose, and two children.
Captain Alden was due to return to the States on rotation on September 18, 1951.
- Allen, Capt. Joe K. - son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Allen of Velsaille, Kentucky. - FATALITY